Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is VirMach owned by ColoCrossing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is VirMach owned by ColoCrossing?

I have only heard good stuff about VirMach so far but I am wondering if they’re owned by CC. They seem to use CC hardware/IPs, have similar terms/offers and a similar money back guarantee. Has anyone got more information on this?

Comments

• Probably. I mean, ColoCrossing even owns Amazon and Google. Secretly, of course.

#poop

Thanked by 2eol Calin
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

There is a simple test, do they offer IPv6? If the answer is false, you know you got fucked.

• @3606202 said:
    Probably. I mean, ColoCrossing even owns Amazon and Google. Secretly, of course.

#poop

Great response! 10/10!

Thanked by 1fanpest
  • Since a picture is worth more than 1000s of words, I made this drawing to illustrate the connection between Colocrossing and Virmach.

I hope this helps.

Thanked by 33606202 Egyarmy Edmond
  • @eol said:
    Since a picture is worth more than 1000s of words, I made this drawing to illustrate the connection between Colocrossing and Virmach.

I hope this helps.

You are right. This explains a lot! Do you think ColoCrossing owns Apple and Microsoft as well?

Thanked by 1eol
  • In the end, it's all deluxe.com anyway.

#poop

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

No

Thanked by 1eol
  • @curator said:

@eol said:
    Since a picture is worth more than 1000s of words, I made this drawing to illustrate the connection between Colocrossing and Virmach.

I hope this helps.

You are right. This explains a lot! Do you think ColoCrossing owns Apple and Microsoft as well?

Yes and no.

• yes

Thanked by 1eol
  • I believe Apple is owned by ColoCrossing as ColoCrossing was founded by Tim Cook. What doesn’t make sense here is why would ColoCrossing offer servers if they could just rent out iPhones? I think we all here agree that renting out iPhones would be way more profitable than renting out servers. I am confused. Can someone explain ColoCrossing's thought behind this???

• Colocroissant might own the nearest bakery around too

Thanked by 3eol Chuck dedotatedwam
  • I went down to the colocrossingroads, fell down on my knees
    Down to the colocrossingroads, I fell down on my knees
    Asked JB for mercy, "Save my data if you please"

• I thought colocrossing is that exam my doctor does to me every couple years.

• @Farish said:
    I thought colocrossing is that exam my doctor does to me every couple years.

No. A fist up your ass is preferable.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Probably, yes. Odds are pretty good it's already owned by CC or can be owned by them fairly quickly (raising prices on IPs, etc).

If it's already owned by CC then it's in their best interest to make sure that doesn't get out, because Virmach has built a decent reputation and CC's acquisition history is checkered, to say the least.

• Maybe @VirMach can weigh in?

• Guys, no need for another conspiracy theory.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • @angstrom said:
    Guys, no need for another conspiracy theory.

In addition, if you think about it, it's more in CC's interest to have a big reliable customer such as VirMach and to let them (VirMach) handle the end-users rather than for CC to handle the end-users (which they wouldn't really want to do). CC's core business is in renting servers to resellers.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I dunno what's going on but from my side it seems you guys came from Arkham Asylum.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2019

angstrom said: CC's core business is in renting servers to resellers.

The problem is, how many new resellers are you seeing entering into this market on the CC network and making it past 3 months? How many current resellers are extensively on CC's network and confirmed to not be a front?

I mean, look how many deadpool related threads have come up on these forums since Black Friday. All? Almost all? Are CC only shops that had no place being posted during BF/CM. There's far more respectable brands on here, granted not on CC's network, that should've been chosen.

Virmach is bound to be the biggest client CC has server count wise, I can't think of any other public hosting company that'd be bigger. The issue though is if Virmach ever wanted to try to move their whole platform to Colocation (or another provider), it's going to be ugly.

We already saw during the Vortex failure that CC got their claws out to try to keep some of those customers. It happened again with the HIF failure, with Chris in there trying to calm things down. The issue with the HIF failure is that the owner of HIF has a looong past with CC, supposedly one of their very first customers.

I think we're finally seeing people just staying well enough away from CC hosted providers just because of the constant string of failed resellers.

Francisco

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2019

@Francisco said:

angstrom said: CC's core business is in renting servers to resellers.

The problem is, how many new resellers are you seeing entering into this market on the CC network and making it past 3 months? How many current resellers are extensively on CC's network and confirmed to not be a front?

I mean, look how many deadpool related threads have come up on these forums since Black Friday. All? Almost all? Are CC only shops that had no place being posted during BF/CM. There's far more respectable brands on here, granted not on CC's network, that should've been chosen.

Virmach is bound to be the biggest client CC has server count wise, I can't think of any other public hosting company that'd be bigger. The issue though is if Virmach ever wanted to try to move their whole platform to Colocation (or another provider), it's going to be ugly.

We already saw during the Vortex failure that CC got their claws out to try to keep some of those customers. It happened again with the HIF failure, with Chris in there trying to calm things down. The issue with the HIF failure is that the owner of HIF has a looong past with CC, supposedly one of their very first customers.

I think we're finally seeing people just staying well enough away from CC hosted providers just because of the constant string of failed resellers.

All true what you say, but it still doesn't seem to follow that CC has secretly acquired VirMach (which is the conspiracy theory that I alluded to).

Yes, VirMach has no doubt become crucial to CC's business, but if CC acquired VirMach, they would then have to deal with (and to try to keep) all of VirMach's end-customers, which wouldn't necessarily be so easy or so much fun or so profitable for them (CC).

It seems to me that CC would do best to try to keep VirMach happy but not to acquire them.

In any case, at the moment there seems to be no evidence that CC has acquired VirMach.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

angstrom said: Yes, VirMach has no doubt become crucial to CC's business, but if CC acquired VirMach, they would then have to deal with (and to try to keep) all of VirMach's end-customers, which wouldn't necessarily be so easy or so much fun or so profitable for them (CC).

Not at all.

During the previous CC ghost acquisitions, the only way people knew it happened was from leaked chat logs, disgruntled staffers, chargeback disputes not getting handled properly, etc.

Infact, the only way the public found out about CC taking over the LE properties was someone popped the vanilla install and dumped the users list. Up until then there was countless tinfoilers (I being one of them) that kept saying that it had happened, just the last bit of evidence was needed.

CC denied it until they couldn't.

CC has no problems running compartmentalized brands. HudsonValleyHost is a good example of that. While the CC people might be a bit involved, I think @Nick has his own separate team and is able to operate the brand anyway he wants, so long as it's positive.

Francisco

Thanked by 3coreflux bulbasaur adly
  • It's moot for me. I finally decided to make dual-stack a criteria.

Thanked by 2uptime pluush
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2019

For me my opinion is that they might be and they might not be, I lean towards them not being a CC ghost though.

Name 1 company except them who has made it big on ultra budget deals out of CC, I will wait while you think................ok no one? that is what I thought.

While that in itself is not evidence neither is putting your hand in front of a dog that has bit you 9 times in a row evidence that it will bite you again if it waits a bit longer on the 10th time.

So because of the past 9 ish years of obvious CC ghost companies that came out in the wash I cant help feeling that there is a fair chance that this one is as well.

But my gut feeling which makes me lean the other way on this occasion is that someone just found a way to successfully exploit the CC model.

If that is the case it is a shame that CC themselves cannot learn from it and replicate it with other customers instead of setting them up to fail.

I have to say again though, when it comes to CC, saying there is not a "single shred of evidence" really means nothing, it has been proven at least 3 times to my knowledge that CC have been able to setup deals with companies in such a way that leaves no paper trail that would show anything except great deals, they trap people with low costs then make it impossible to leave, the only option ultimately remaining is that they take over.

All that is easily done when 1 party is significantly more powerful than the other through financial threat and fear.

All that said, I don't really care either way, its just a bit of an interest.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Francisco said:

angstrom said: Yes, VirMach has no doubt become crucial to CC's business, but if CC acquired VirMach, they would then have to deal with (and to try to keep) all of VirMach's end-customers, which wouldn't necessarily be so easy or so much fun or so profitable for them (CC).

Not at all.

During the previous CC ghost acquisitions, the only way people knew it happened was from leaked chat logs, disgruntled staffers, chargeback disputes not getting handled properly, etc.

Infact, the only way the public found out about CC taking over the LE properties was someone popped the vanilla install and dumped the users list. Up until then there was countless tinfoilers (I being one of them) that kept saying that it had happened, just the last bit of evidence was needed.

CC denied it until they couldn't.

CC has no problems running compartmentalized brands. HudsonValleyHost is a good example of that. While the CC people might be a bit involved, I think @Nick has his own separate team and is able to operate the brand anyway he wants, so long as it's positive.

Naturally, we all know that HVH and ChicagoVPS are daughter brands of CC.

The story of CC's taking over LEB/LET back then may have had special features which would explain why CC wanted to keep it a secret. (That event predates my time around here.)

Yes, it's possible that VirMach is a ghost acquisition of CC, but I personally would be inclined to wait for a clear piece of evidence before believing that CC actually has acquired VirMach. In addition, don't forget that VirMach also has non-CC servers, which (to my mind) also doesn't fit the picture of a CC daughter company.

I still think that from a business point of view, CC wouldn't be interested in dealing with the end-customers of Virmach (they really wouldn't!), so it would make more sense for them (CC) to adopt a strategy of trying to keep VirMach happy. (But perhaps I'm naive ...)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

angstrom said: Naturally, we all know that HVH and ChicagoVPS are daughter brands of CC.

Do you remember when that was not the case though and how many years that was denied until it was proven they essentially were all along?

edited February 2019

@angstrom said: I still think that from a business point of view, CC wouldn't be interested in dealing with the end-customers of Virmach (they really wouldn't!), so it would make more sense for them (CC) to adopt a strategy of trying to keep VirMach happy. (But perhaps I'm naive ...)

Even if current VirMach employees handled the end-customers of VirMach and CC were simply the overseer, things could go haywire/wrong at any time (e.g., the VirMach employees leave or become disgruntled), and then CC would suddenly be responsible. Seems like a tricky/risky proposition to me, not to mention that it would be a net cash drain for CC to deal with the end-customers of VirMach.

• @AnthonySmith said:

angstrom said: Naturally, we all know that HVH and ChicagoVPS are daughter brands of CC.

Do you remember when that was not the case though and how many years that was denied until it was proven they essentially were all along?

Before my time around here.

Okay, I agree that a past pattern of denials can make people doubtful/suspicious in the present.

edited February 2019

@AnthonySmith said: But my gut feeling which makes me lean the other way on this occasion is that someone just found a way to successfully exploit the CC model.

Voilà.

It may very well be that CC have considered acquiring VirMach, but I'm inclined to think that this hasn't yet happened.

Also, if CC have secretly acquired VirMach, then it's been a brilliant cover-up so far. I'd be reluctant to give CC this much credit.

And bear in mind that Velocity Servers are also in the picture now.