Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hiformance is fighting agains me on Paypal
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hiformance is fighting agains me on Paypal

I cant believe that!

I got 3 years server on black Friday here. And I put there 3 clients services. I didn't see this announcement that they were closing. So I couldn't back up any data, and I lost the 3 clients. They hate me now and they changed their services to other companies.

I went to the Paypal requesting at least my money back from Hiformance. And I explained all the situations. Paypal said they need 10 days to give an answer and if Hiformance doesn't give any explanation they give my money back.

Do you believe in the last day Hiformance answered that they sold a Virtual Service so they didn't have how to prove the product was sent to me. And I already got/used for the service I bought?

Now Paypal didnt refund it.

Comments

• How much did you pay for that?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Well of course Paypal offers no protection for services sold. So it's kind of just bad luck for you really. HiFormance had unsustainable low prices, so I hope you went in understanding that it was a bit of risk. You were cheated, which of course is not your fault. But I hope whatever you lost was not too painful.

Just remember, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is, and you need to question if the risk is worth the reward.

Thanked by 2tcp6 coreflux
  • Using a LEB VPS for clients is a huge no-no. I kinda don't feel bad for you now :dizzy:
    A VPS from a trusted LET provider? Maybe.
    But yeah - they're obviously going to try and keep their money. Chargeback through your bank if you so desire.

Thanked by 4mfs eol rsyncs coreflux
  • @edfox said:
    How much did you pay for that?

why?

@Skander said:
    Using a LEB VPS for clients is a huge no-no. I kinda don't feel bad for you now :dizzy:
    But yeah - they're obviously going to try and keep their money. Chargeback through your bank if you so desire.

You cannot charge back through bank. In fact it would be completely wrong to do so even if you could.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@randvegeta said:
    Well of course Paypal offers no protection for services sold. So it's kind of just bad luck for you really. HiFormance had unsustainable low prices, so I hope you went in understanding that it was a bit of risk. You were cheated, which of course is not your fault. But I hope whatever you lost was not too painful.

Just remember, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is, and you need to question if the risk is worth the reward.

Depends on who is handling your case tbh. Sometimes I win and sometimes the customer does.

@CConner said:

@randvegeta said:

Depends on who is handling your case tbh. Sometimes I win and sometimes the customer does.

Well I've never done anything as shitty as HiFormance. It seems like an obvious scam to me, and Paypal should protect the customers, not the scammers. Since HiFormance is going out of biz, they won't exactly be a customer for long.

But I suspect the problem is that HiFormance already cleared out the account and Paypal don't want to pay for the refund out of their own pocket, which is fair actually.

Why should Paypal be responsible for another company scamming other people? They literally offer no protection for services, and this is pretty clear.

• @sibaper said:

why?

Hosting actual production stuff on low cost horrible providers like Hiformance is plainly stupid, but charging back for probably less than 10$ is much more stupid than that.

Unless he's hosting at-cost and his "customers" are actually his aunt and a friend

• @edfox said:
    How much did you pay for that?

$26

@Skander said:
    Using a LEB VPS for clients is a huge no-no. I kinda don't feel bad for you now :dizzy:

Please dont think they are right. Its a host, it has an IP, the hardware was not bad. Why not host 3 small websites on it. It is like I buy a car and you say - I dont believe you bought this car to drive... - It was blackfriday, if it is a host company I am totally right in think that I should be able to host services on it.

@edfox said:

@sibaper said:

why?

Hosting actual production stuff on low cost horrible providers like Hiformance is plainly stupid, but charging back for probably less than 10$ is much more stupid than that.

Unless he's hosting at-cost and his "customers" are actually his aunt and a friend

I still believe in the basic, what is fair. I didnt get the service, so I shouldnt pay. Hiformance didnt do the service, so it shouldnt get the money. There was no service, so no money for paypal. Since I am brazilian, I dont know how to sue them in USA. But I really would like to do it. I don't care if $26 is not much money, they stole from me, and it is wrong. We need to fight against wrong things.

• Hiformance did a scam to their clients, but you did a scam to your client, too! You are so cheapo that you sold service from a crappy new suspicious cheap provider without even keeping backups for restore in a disaster. And now you are whining in LET, instead of putting your head to a hole due to shame... Did you refund your clients for all the damage you caused them?

• tcp6tcp6 Member
    edited January 2019

@randvegeta said:
    You cannot charge back through bank. In fact it would be completely wrong to do so even if you could.

Yes and no.

It comes down to two things:

• The country’s local laws of where you reside/your bank account is opened.
    • The SLA you have signed with your bank or credit card issuer.

I have been in 3 banks so far, 2 out of these 3 allowed me to do charge backs without any kind of paperwork required, while the third one only required a written consent to do so.

My biggest feat of strength you ask?

Buying a refurbished MacBook Air from some random dude off eBay for 700$, receiving said MacBook Air in my country then getting PayPal charged back on a simple phone call.

PayPal sent about 10 e-mails with all kind of threats, it ended up with a simple PayPal account closure 6 months later, they then resorted to a local debt collector who sent letters in the mail regularly for about a year, threats, threats, more threats, even more threats and after a year they gave up.

I ended up selling back that MacBook Air for even higher than what I “paid” it for, at 775$ to a local pawn shop and went off a holiday funded with those free 775$.

Free holiday.

To this day: The eBay seller left me a positive rating, the seller got paid by PayPal they didn’t reverse his payment, I received a positive rating on my eBay profile as a buyer as well, to this day my eBay account is still very fine.

I reopened a new PayPal account under a bogus name 6 months later and went on holiday “sponsored” by PayPal.

TL;DR: If you can charge back and doesn’t cause you any hassles, just do it. Don’t be a dick, DO NOT charge backs on individuals or very small companies or family businesses who need your money and supporr to survive because they got kids to feed and have bills to pay, that’s just plain wrong.

Go against large corporations.

Fuck them in the ass all these shitty corporations: Fuck PayPal, Fuck Amazon, Fuck ComCast, Fuck Cox, Fuck AT&T, Fuck Cogent, Fuck TimeWarner, Fuck CityBank.

Thanked by 1easy
  • SkanderSkander Member
    edited January 2019

@randvegeta said:

@Skander said:

Where I am from, you can - and it does not affect your credit score or anything of that sort. The only reason why people don't go this route is when the amount is not worth the hassle.

But yeah, make sure you're not screwing yourself over if your laws are different.

EDIT: What tcp6 described above is scummy. Don't be like him.

Thanked by 1tcp6
  • @jvnadr said:
    Hiformance did a scam to their clients, but you did a scam to your client, too! You are so cheapo that you sold service from a crappy new suspicious cheap provider without even keeping backups for restore in a disaster. And now you are whining in LET, instead of putting your head to a hole due to shame... Did you refund your clients for all the damage you caused them?

I did it. They lost their website, I always try to do what is right. I gave them the money back. I called many times, I tried to give my service for free for 1 year. And in the end I just got bad reviews on Facebook.

• @hckhenrique said:

@jvnadr said:
    Hiformance did a scam to their clients, but you did a scam to your client, too! You are so cheapo that you sold service from a crappy new suspicious cheap provider without even keeping backups for restore in a disaster. And now you are whining in LET, instead of putting your head to a hole due to shame... Did you refund your clients for all the damage you caused them?

I did it. They lost their website, I always try to do what is right. I gave them the money back. I called many times, I tried to give my service for free for 1 year. And in the end I just got bad reviews on Facebook.

From now on, if you still decide to use crap providers, please make sure to do regular backups.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • tcp6tcp6 Member
    edited January 2019

@Skander said:
    But yeah, make sure you're not screwing yourself over if your laws are different.

Laws are here to protect consumers, they exist for a reason.

EDIT: What tcp6 described above is scummy. Don't be like him.

Wrong. I don’t do it just because I can, I do it as revenge only against large corporations who use shady business malpractices to begin with. This is where I draw the line. You call it scummy? I call it sweet justice.

Think bigger, think of everytime Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Best Buy, Target, PayPal, everytime they should have protected their customers and they didn’t.

That’s how you serve justice these days.

Case closed.

• @tcp6 said:

@randvegeta said:

Yes and no.

It comes down to two things:

• The country’s local laws of where you reside/your bank account is opened.
    • The SLA you have signed with your bank or credit card issuer.

I have been in 3 banks so far, 2 out of these 3 allowed me to do charge backs without any kind of paperwork required, while the third one only required a written consent to do so.

My biggest feat of strength you ask?

Buying a refurbished MacBook Air from some random dude off eBay for 700$, receiving said MacBook Air in my country then getting PayPal charged back on a simple phone call.

PayPal sent about 10 e-mails with all kind of threats, it ended up with a simple PayPal account closure 6 months later, they then resorted to a local debt collector who sent letters in the mail regularly for about a year, threats, threats, more threats, even more threats and after a year they gave up.

I ended up selling back that MacBook Air for even higher than what I “paid” it for, at 775$ to a local pawn shop and went off a holiday funded with those free 775$.

Free holiday.

To this day: The eBay seller left me a positive rating, the seller got paid by PayPal they didn’t reverse his payment, I received a positive rating on my eBay profile as a buyer as well, to this day my eBay account is still very fine.

I reopened a new PayPal account under a bogus name 6 months later and went on holiday “sponsored” by PayPal.

TL;DR: If you can charge back and doesn’t cause you any hassles, just do it. Don’t be a dick, DO NOT charge backs on individuals or very small companies or family businesses who need your money and supporr to survive because they got kids to feed and have bills to pay, that’s just plain wrong.

Go against large corporations.

Fuck them in the ass all these shitty corporations: Fuck PayPal, Fuck Amazon, Fuck ComCast, Fuck Cox, Fuck AT&T, Fuck Cogent, Fuck TimeWarner, Fuck CityBank.

This was a really shitty thing to do. Theft is theft, no matter how you try to quality it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Breaking news, a shitty host is shit and people still trust shitty hosts with their own reputation without doing any research because its cheap.

What a shitty situation, over to you Brian for the weather.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Breaking news, a shitty host is shit and people still trust shitty hosts with their own reputation without doing any research because its cheap.

What a shitty situation, over to you Brian for the weather.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

Forecast for this evening: hazy and faltering. Increasing darkness after dusk, with occasional delusions of enlightenment as dawn approaches.

EDIT2:

Expect intermittent popcorn flurries with a 50% chance of a ban-hammer by morning.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • @Letzien said:
    This was a really shitty thing to do. Theft is theft, no matter how you try to quality it.

How is this theft to begin with?

How do I qualify it? I define it as sweet revenge and it tastes great as long as no individual has been harmed in the process and no one lost sleep over it.

My initial stance on the matter remains unchanged:

Don’t screw individuals, civilians, fellow citizens, small business owners, family ran businesses and such.

However fuck Jeff Bezos (Amazon) in the ass and the likes (PayPal, ComCast, TimeWarner, etc...) every time you get the opportunity to do so, you’re doing God’s work and as often said God works in mysterious ways.

Fucking these companies over at every chance you get is simply doing the right thing, it is like doing community service.

TL;DR: David vs. Goliath.

Just do it.

• They tried same for me. I opened PayPal dispute and they answered like that. I didn't accept that and send picture to PayPal, where they said they closing doors. Then they didn't answered anymore, so I win the case. :)

• bapbap Member
    edited January 2019

so, you put your client services to a low-cost provider that you never know about its services quality? I feel sorry for your client, not you. you deserve to be hated.

I vote for this thread to be closed, the OP does not deserve LET opinion.

• @tcp6 said:

@Letzien said:

This is much like every "friendly fraud" which happens every second in this industry. Client gets something for nothing, and the service provider gets fucked on it- and a ding on their processing. Only, in your case outlined, you've caused harm to the processor, and caused the owner of the hardware you stole to be out for an extended period of time. But, hey, they eventually got their money back, right?

You should feel shame, but evidently you feel you are owed something because you breathe. Good day.

• @hckhenrique said:

Please dont think they are right. Its a host, it has an IP, the hardware was not bad. Why not host 3 small websites on it. It is like I buy a car and you say - I dont believe you bought this car to drive... - It was blackfriday, if it is a host company I am totally right in think that I should be able to host services on it.

the problem is that still today, you do not understand the difference between buying a car and get it physically delivered and booking a service for a certain period, which is a mere promise of future performance, which only can ever be as good as the provider is.

• @tcp6

Dude, you're just a thief, there's no sugarcoating it. At least, since you've chosen that path, be proud in your profession instead of "I steal but here's 6 reasons why that's great".

• @Letzien said:

@tcp6 said:

@Letzien said:

This is much like every "friendly fraud" which happens every second in this industry. Client gets something for nothing, and the service provider gets fucked on it- and a ding on their processing. Only, in your case outlined, you've caused harm to the processor, and caused the owner of the hardware you stole to be out for an extended period of time. But, hey, they eventually got their money back, right?

You should feel shame, but evidently you feel you are owed something because you breathe. Good day.

Your post made absolutely no sense whatsoever? Did you misquote or something?

• @deluxe said:
    @tcp6

Dude, you're just a thief, there's no sugarcoating it. At least, since you've chosen that path, be proud in your profession instead of "I steal but here's 6 reasons why that's great".

And that is where you are mistaken. I merely took advantages of a flawed system which allows consumers to win an uphill battle against gigantic corporations once in a while.

That is not something I do on a daily basis or against individuals.

You have to keep in mind the thieves (since you were the one who used the term first) who usually have no issues screwing consumers over are these shady corporations.

The real question is: Did PayPal go bankrupt over those pesky 700$ “loss”? Absolutely not. Has someone at PayPal lost a good night of sleep over this case? Absolutely not. Has someone working at PayPal been fired over this case? Very unlikely.

As I said above; case closed.

• @tcp6 said:
    Your post made absolutely no sense whatsoever? Did you misquote or something?

No; I just parallel'd you to theft in this industry. Have a good life.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • deluxedeluxe Member
    edited January 2019

@tcp6 said:

@deluxe said:
    @tcp6

And that is where you are mistaken. I merely took advantages of a flawed system

That's what a thief does. Sees a badly guarded thing, grabs it.

Theft is about stealing things that don't belong to you. There's no qualifications for the act based on who you steal stuff from.

Women also don't give birth on a regular basis, but we still call them mothers.

You have to keep in mind the thieves (since you were the one who used the term first) who usually have no issues screwing consumers over are these shady corporations.

This is just a justification after the fact. That's the point. You steal stuff and then you feel the need to justify why (primarily to yourself, because we're strangers far away so who cares). This is bad.

The real question is: Did PayPal go bankrupt over those pesky 700$ “loss”? Absolutely not. Has someone at PayPal lost a good night of sleep over this case? Absolutely not. Has someone working at PayPal been fired over this case? Very unlikely.

The loss of utility derived by your stealing stuff is irrelevant to the act itself. Essentially, you're saying "I stole from them but they didn't really suffer, so why not?". Well, I'm not here to do a moral lesson. If you find it ok, then I'm not going to change your mind. What I'm saying is that you're a thief and - assuming you find it ok - you should be proud of it. Not trying to justify it. You don't try to justify helping an old lady cross the street, right? So why try to justify theft if theft is a moral thing in your eyes?

As I said above; case closed.

Yes, there was no argument of this. You are having a successful career in thievery.

• tcp6tcp6 Member
    edited January 2019

@deluxe said:

@tcp6 said:

@deluxe said:
    @tcp6

And that is where you are mistaken. I merely took advantages of a flawed system

That's what a thief does. Sees a badly guarded thing, grabs it.

Theft is about stealing things that don't belong to you.

Objection!!!

This is not theft, I signed up to a marketplace, eBay in this case, I followed the rules, committed no violation of the abided Terms of Service, won an auction fair and square against other bidders, paid for the goods and received them accordingly, received a 5 stars rating and returned the favor.

One could argue that the confirmation of the transaction taking place through eBay between the involved parties, 1) The marketplace, 2) The seller and 3) The buyer were all respected and followed to the T.

I also have the e-mails from eBay serving as invoices, how can it be deemed as theft if I have legitimate invoices matching the transaction details to my name?

How does that even qualify for theft to begin with?

The only shady part is me doing a chargeback and refusing all forms of communication with the man in the middle aka PayPal.

Then again how does that even qualify as theft?

This is sweet revenge with intent of serving justice.

This is no different than me buying a brand new shiny Apple iPhone with a 12 months warranty, damaging it internally as we’ve ran over 11 months of it’s warranty and returning it faulty to Apple only to get it replaced with an identical new unit and the warranty extended for a extra 90 days for free.

How is this theft? I am merely using consumer protection laws to my advantage.

How am I a thief to you is beyond comprehension.