Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH.ca Limited Edition i3 @ 3.4Ghz 8GB Ram 2 TB Sata2 $29/mo - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH.ca Limited Edition i3 @ 3.4Ghz 8GB Ram 2 TB Sata2 $29/mo

12346»

Comments

• @Trav said:
    That's what I noticed as well, it does seem a bit unusual they keep getting more stock. I thought for sure they'd be completely sold out and wouldn't be getting any more stock in. It's probably from cancellations like rds100 said. Either way, it's almost a steal of a deal.

It's possible there is a high turn over, the 1 IP thing is a real killer.. but to what I notice the deal have not pass 30 days, so technically the servers should still be rented and not up for renewal yet, so not sure how they can offer canceled servers..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The single IP challenges me. Honestly I could do way more with one IP than I do. Isolation via container, NAT. Maybe even reverse proxy for multiple web servers on port 80.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @jarland said:
    The single IP challenges me.

Yup.. that's why I bought it, but was somewhat disappointed that vmware is not compatible even thought it is offered as a selection.. That and the fact that proxmox basically cannot work without ipv4..

Take the chance to have fun with LXC. Maybe the docker.io implementation. Fun stuff.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @jarland said:
    Take the chance to have fun with LXC. Maybe the docker.io implementation. Fun stuff.

Thanks.. maybe I will give it a go after this proxmox thing.

• @earl they probably had some yearly special a year ago and these are from people who have not renewed after the first year. Just my guess anyway.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@rds100

yeah it's possible.. actually I remember in the prelaunch of BHS they were giving away the i3 with 16gb ram 2x1TB, free for a month or two, for anyone looking to test out their services.. but renewal was too expensive.. I think it was $79/mo

• I'm watching an intro for docker on youtube..looks complicated ! lol.

@earl said:
    I'm watching an intro for docker on youtube..looks complicated ! lol.

Yeah, the base LXC and LXC Web Panel are enough to get the job done. It's pretty much automated setup. Docker is simple and confusing at the same time, yet cool ;)

@earl I made a blog post for you. Do this and I promise you will enjoy it ;)

http://blog.jarland.me/2013/11/install-lxc-panel-on-ubuntu-13-04-wnat/

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@jarland said:
    earl I made a blog post for you. Do this and I promise you will enjoy it ;)

http://blog.jarland.me/2013/11/install-lxc-panel-on-ubuntu-13-04-wnat/

Thanks Jarland, I will try it out.. so is there a support forum?

by the looks of it thought docker looks like a more funded project, maybe cause the website looks nicer..

@earl said:
    Thanks Jarland, I will try it out.. so is there a support forum?

>

by the looks of it thought docker looks like a more funded project, maybe cause the website looks nicer..

I don't believe so, but there's not a lot to LXC. Even the documentation is easy to read, which is nice. Docker is definitely a cool thing. I like all the premade containers. It tries to be it's own thing though and use a lot of confusing cloud hipster terminology which confuses me a little, but installing it is crazy easy.

• Have you tired the turnkey templates in proxmox? it's pretty awesome, they don't use default passwords anymore you get to customize your install when you ssh in..

Yeah I think docker looks neat.. thing about not having a support forum is it get's kinda hard when your trying to configure things like ipv6, or just stumped on something.. it's hard enough in proxmox! just wish they make something that is fully ipv6 compliant so I can use that darn single ipv4 that OVH gives me!

Turnkey are nice but still kinda bulky. I wonder what it would take to do some sort of IPv6 to IPv4 internal NAT...

• @jarland said:
    Turnkey are nice but still kinda bulky. I wonder what it would take to do some sort of IPv6 to IPv4 internal NAT...

It's a bit bulky and I think webmin is included in all their turnkey templates, but it's nice how you can be up and running so quick..

Well in proxmox I can use private Ip's for the containers and use iptables to forward ports.. I was kinda hoping to use just ipv6 but unfortunately you can't download templates or have working vnc when you disable ipv4 in proxmox..

If HE can give you ipv6 thought a tunnel, why can't you do the same with ipv4? using ipv4 you have at another server and use it on the server at ovh? is that not possible at all?

edited November 2013

@earl said:
    using ipv4 you have at another server and use it on the server at ovh? is that not possible at all?

I'm thinking something like a GRE tunnel. Maybe mod_proxy virtualhost to serve a domain from certain internal port? Someone stop me if I'm making it way too complicated.

I've ended up just using the OVH server for one single purpose. To run a basic LAMP server and optimize it to death. Helps me get better at my day job :)

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@jarland said:
    I'm thinking something like a GRE tunnel. Maybe mod_proxy virtualhost to serve a domain from certain internal port? Someone stop me if I'm making it way too complicated.

yeah ok so we are thinking the same thing regarding tunnelng ip's from one server to another.. it's how to start part i'm ??? lol

@earl said:
    yeah ok so we are thinking regarding tunnelng ip's from one server to another.. it's how to start part i'm ??? lol

This is where we refer to @Francisco's genius.

http://wiki.frantech.ca/doku.php/gre_tunnel

Thanked by 1earl
  • Hmm.. interesting!

Actually I just found out yesterday that my router does not have v6 firewall, lol.. so the v6 only proxmox install I had on a computer I setup at home was accessible on the internet! for a good couple of days!

edited February 2014

Hey guys. I've got this server and they have discontinued it. I don't need it, but I hate to let it go. Can't be gotten again. I'll rent it back out for $33/m (just rounding up a bit to make sure I don't lose anything). Let me know if you're interested. You can PM me on here.

CPU: Intel i3 3.4GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

HD: 2TB SATA2

BW: 100Mbps. 5TB then capped to 10Mbps (OVH is known for not policing this)

IPs: 1 IPv4, /64 IPv6

UNMANAGED (but ask if you need help and I'll do my best)

NO bulk mailers (meaning high volume newsletters and stuff, keep the IP clean), no warez or unlicensed copyrighted content, no nulled scripts, nothing that violates OVH TOS:
    http://www.ovh.com/us/support/termsofservice/

OS reloads by request. Manager v5 does not feature secondary contacts. This server is in my name and all I ask is that you be respectful and not try to ruin my good standing. I understand things happen and I'm happy to help if I can.

Ran a bench.sh:

CPU model :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  1700.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 7876 MB
    Total amount of swap : 510 MB
    System uptime :   15 days, 21:05,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 11.2MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 10.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 4.35MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.95MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 2.02MB/s