Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH.ca Limited Edition i3 @ 3.4Ghz 8GB Ram 2 TB Sata2 $29/mo - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH.ca Limited Edition i3 @ 3.4Ghz 8GB Ram 2 TB Sata2 $29/mo

Comments

• whmsyswhmsys Member
    edited October 2013

Good offer for new server admins

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

Ok, so it seems this deal is never going to sell out!! so what the heck I went ahead and purchase one!

CPU model :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3392.326 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 7881 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1022 MB
    System uptime :   24 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 11.2MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 10.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 10.8MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.94MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL:
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 8.79MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.33MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 9.02MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 6.00MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 10.7MB/s
    I/O speed :  123 MB/s

not sure if it's because it's close to 5am in the morning, but these are pretty nice result.. and it took about 24 minutes from order to the server being delivered, not too bad for OVH..

Thanked by 1rm_
  • earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

some specs:

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Intel DH61AG Desktop Motherboard - Intel H61 Express Chipset - Socket H2 LGA-1155

oddly enough these are so-dimm memory, one set is kingston not sure about the other one but they are 1333 MHz..

Also it seems all the extended features like KVM, NAS ,Firewall are not available on this server, not sure if it's available for the KS1 which is $10/mo more? suppose you don't really need it.

I also noticed that if you install promox v 2.3 that ipv6 works for the proxmox web interface, but when I removed ipv4 I was not able to use that IP in a OVZ guest.. this version of proxmox still uses apache compared to V3.0 and up that uses pveproxy..

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Same specs as mine.

Also they seem sold out now.

Thanked by 1earl
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

earl said: Also it seems all the extended features like KVM, NAS ,Firewall are not available on this server, not sure if it's available for the KS1 which is $10/mo more?

I think it's ManagerV5, at least about (v)KVM, it just doesn't have the feature implemented. And all servers in Canada DC are managed via it.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@NateN34 said:
    Same specs as mine.

>

Also they seem sold out now.

yeah they sell out time to time, but does not take them long to restock.. I was kinda hoping it would sell out so I can resist the temptation of buying one..oh well.

• @rm_ said:
    I think it's ManagerV5, at least about (v)KVM, it just doesn't have the feature implemented. And all servers in Canada DC are managed via it.

V5 does look cleaner than V3, but I think I still prefer v3, feels like it has more features available even thought it's sometimes hard to remember how to get to that feature lol..

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

Noticed it's back in stock now!

Also just want to mention and maybe save yourself some grief, vmware is not compatible with this server.. while vmware is offered in the OS reload, when you try to install it pretty much hangs on step 5, and I've tried v4.1 v5.0 and V5.5..

it's pretty much confirmed from one of the tech guys on the site. So don't bother trying to install it.. it's too bad I wanted to try out V5.5 since you can disable IPV4 and just use ipv6.. Oh well I guess I will try out on a home computer.

• @earl said:
    I also noticed that if you install promox v 2.3 that ipv6 works for the proxmox web interface, but when I removed ipv4 I was not able to use that IP in a OVZ guest.. this version of proxmox still uses apache compared to V3.0 and up that uses pveproxy..

If I'm not mistaken they only renamed it so it doesn't look like some dummy apache process

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@Frost said:
    If I'm not mistaken they only renamed it so it doesn't look like some dummy apache process

Not sure what they did, but pveproxy does not seem to be listening on ipv6.. but oddly you can install apache and webpages load fine on ipv6 and ipv4.. I can even ssh with putty on ipv6..

not sure how to enable ipv6 on pveproxy so hopefully they will enable this in the next release.

--just to add

VNC also does not seem to work on ipv6 in v2.3 and I would assume v3.1 as well.. so even if the web interface for proxmox worked on ipv6 you wont have access to the console. even downloading of the ovz templates requires ipv4, so it's too big a job to get ipv6 working it seems.

• Ok, just did another test.. and the network is consistently quite good!

CPU model :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3392.389 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 7880 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1022 MB
    System uptime :   10:00,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 11.0MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 10.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 9.43MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.61MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 8.75MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.03MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.96MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 9.14MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 9.64MB/s
    I/O speed :  137 MB/s

• The network in BHS is indeed pretty good. And to be honest, dealing with OVH Canada/USA is much easier than OVH FR (or IE)... almost like they were two different companies. Even though the offering is similar (minus the KS line), the quality of the service is not on the same level. OVH FR is a pain in the ass to deal with and I feel like both commercial and technical support departments are very badly managed (takes a lot of tickets to get simple things resolved). Never had any issue with the Canadian division but YMMV I guess :) My server has been running for almost a year now and never suffered from any downtime (other than my scheduled reboots).

Thanked by 1earl
  • @agonyzt said:
    The network in BHS is indeed pretty good. And to be honest, dealing with OVH Canada/USA is much easier than OVH FR (or IE)... almost like they were two different companies. Even though the offering is similar (minus the KS line), the quality of the service is not on the same level. OVH FR is a pain in the ass to deal with and I feel like both commercial and technical support departments are very badly managed (takes a lot of tickets to get simple things resolved). Never had any issue with the Canadian division but YMMV I guess :) My server has been running for almost a year now and never suffered from any downtime (other than my scheduled reboots).

Yes I agree support is quite good at BHS..

• has anyone ever had issues with upstream providers blocking OVH? I recently signed up to a VPS that blocks all traffic from OVH in France. I have 4 boxes with OVH and manage stuff from them, it's a bit of a hassle when 1 in 100 VPS can't speak to them!

• How does their ks1 package compare to others out there ($39/mo)? Is the dual 1TB and 4 ip fail overs (Can we use these to assign it to whatever we want?)

• @ricardo said:
    has anyone ever had issues with upstream providers blocking OVH? I recently signed up to a VPS that blocks all traffic from OVH in France. I have 4 boxes with OVH and manage stuff from them, it's a bit of a hassle when 1 in 100 VPS can't speak to them!

Can't say I have.. but maybe if you put in a ticket they will unblock your ip? or you could try one of the other ip-failover locations that OVH offers?

• @johhhn said:
    How does their ks1 package compare to others out there ($39/mo)? Is the dual 1TB and 4 ip fail overs (Can we use these to assign it to whatever we want?)

yeah you have full control of the Dedi.. you can see some of the options for OS selection when you click on the order page..

just to let you know thought that vmware is not compatible with the i3 servers,PE or KS.

• @earl, it's not on the OVH end and I have a ticket running with the other provider. Was just wondering if it was something that someone else has came across.

• @ricardo said:
    earl, it's not on the OVH end and I have a ticket running with the other provider. Was just wondering if it was something that someone else has came across.

Ok maybe I misunderstood? I thought you said one of your VPS provider is blocking traffic from OVH? so can't you request your VPS provider to add your OVH IP's to the safelist? I was also saying that OVH have failover IP's in different countries it's possible that those ip's are not blocked by your provider so you can just purchase a failover-ip for you OVH servers..

If that's not what you meant then please disregard my comment..lol.

• (me) upstream providers blocking OVH?
    (you) maybe I misunderstood

Yes ;o) and in my case it's not the provider themselves, but their provider.

Thanked by 1earl
  • what i was wondering is you knew offhand what i could get for $39 /mo from other providers..

@earl said:
    just to let you know thought that vmware is not compatible with the i3 servers,PE or KS.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ricardo said:
    has anyone ever had issues with upstream providers blocking OVH? I recently signed up to a VPS that blocks all traffic from OVH in France. I have 4 boxes with OVH and manage stuff from them, it's a bit of a hassle when 1 in 100 VPS can't speak to them!

Odd. I mean a fair amount of abuse comes in everywhere from kimsufi boxes but honestly the bulk of what I ever see is just scans and brute force ssh port 22. Nothing too frequently obscene that would warrant such a drop.

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@johhhn said:

you can try

wholesaleinternet.net

datashack.net

volumedrive.com

• how are their networks?

super cheap always scares me a tiny tiny bit ;)

@earl said:

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@johhhn said:
    how are their networks?

super cheap always scares me a tiny tiny bit ;)

Volumedrive had a couple of network maintenance since they are settling in their new place and had a DDoS attack recently but I'm quite happy with the overall service..

CPU model :  AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency :  2913.296 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 3885 MB
    Total amount of swap : 4095 MB
    System uptime :   9 days, 20:48,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 11.1MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 7.60MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 4.44MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 2.72MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 2.11MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.86MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 3.21MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 3.39MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 7.93MB/s
    I/O speed :  131 MB/s

WII say's 100 Mbps port but I think it's more.. sometimes I get 95Mb/s

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5520  @ 2.27GHz
    Number of cores : 16
    CPU frequency :  2266.801 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 24096 MB
    Total amount of swap : 23551 MB
    System uptime :   1 day, 21:17,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 47.3MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 13.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 13.6MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.12MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 1.88MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.77MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 23.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 27.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 27.5MB/s
    I/O speed :  114 MB/s

If you are reasonable with your expectations of a budget host, then I'm sure you will be quite pleased..

--just to add

volumedrive seem to offer a friendlier service all be it slower support, but I've noticed lately that WII support/sales can be a bit grumpy lol..

Thanked by 1johhhn
  • They're back in stock now, would grab one quickly if you want one!

Thanked by 1earl
  • @Trav said:
    They're back in stock now, would grab one quickly if you want one!

thanks for the update, what i have noticed is they tend to restock not long after they sell out.. almost seems they have an unlimited supply of this PE1 servers.

• The sandy bridge core i3 CPU is no longer manufactured / sold by Intel, so they are probably just recycling cancellations.

• @rds100 said:
    The sandy bridge core i3 CPU is no longer manufactured / sold by Intel, so they are probably just recycling cancellations.

It's possible they are dipping into the KS1 server to provide the PE1 deal..I would imagine that they purchased a large amount of these boards, while not all i3 but BHS is suppose to house over 300K server.

• TravTrav Member
    edited November 2013

@earl said:

That's what I noticed as well, it does seem a bit unusual they keep getting more stock. I thought for sure they'd be completely sold out and wouldn't be getting any more stock in. It's probably from cancellations like @rds100 said. Either way, it's almost a steal of a deal.

Also just got my server in, it took forever, a whole 15 MINUTES!! :P