Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH.ca Limited Edition i3 @ 3.4Ghz 8GB Ram 2 TB Sata2 $29/mo - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH.ca Limited Edition i3 @ 3.4Ghz 8GB Ram 2 TB Sata2 $29/mo

Comments

• @Microlinux said:
    SATA 2/3 is really irrelevant with 7200RPM drives.

while that might be true, If I had the choice I would still take the SATA 3 if it was for the same price.

Also you probably get a better chance of getting a bigger cache as well with the newer SATA 3 drives..

• Can I add ipv4 address?

• thuvienvpsthuvienvps Member
    edited October 2013

@ttsaon said:
    Can I add ipv4 address?

As i know, no.
    @earl: is there anyway to have Windows run on this server without paying license fee for OVH :D . I have no idea :(

• @thuvienvps said:
    earl: is there anyway to have Windows run on this server without paying license fee for OVH :D . I have no idea :(

to what I'm reading it says you can, but not sure about the procedure since I dont have a server at BHS..

here is some article on it..

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?p=43001
    http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56319

probably best to just call them, I would not want to be accidentally charged for a license

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

@ttsaon said:
    Can I add ipv4 address?

you cannot add additional IP's for the PE servers which is the one for $29/mo.. but if you get the KS line it includes 4 IP's and /64 of IPV6..

When I called OVH in BHS to confirm, even the sales guy was somewhat boggled that they only gave 1 IPV6 with the PE server.. he said I'm sure it comes more than 1 IPV6, which I said /128.. guy said yup 1 IPV6.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2013

@earl do you have the server already? Check your IPv6 details in ManagerV5.
    To this day the http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/ page says all these Kimsufi get only 1 IPv6.
    However many people have confirmed that in reality they got a /64 as usual with other OVH dedis.

• @rm_ said:
    earl do you have the server already? Check your IPv6 details in ManagerV5.
    To this day the http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/ page says all these Kimsufi get only 1 IPv6.
    However many people have confirmed that in reality they got a /64 as usual with other OVH dedis.

Actually I did not buy this server, so I can't confirm if it comes with /128 but for the ovh.ie I do have a /64 of IPV6

• Wait, you guys got this deal with a 1Gbit port? Mine is only 100Mb.

• @charlie460 said:
    Wait, you guys got this deal with a 1Gbit port? Mine is only 100Mb.

it's 5 TB on a 100Mbit port.. there after it's limited to 10 Mbit

• Setup was quick. 6 minutes. I'd call that the quickest i've seen yet for a dedicated server. Thrilled with the setup time.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    • Repair (GTR) -

WTF? without repair SLA, good luck with that... airline tickets to CA DC will cost more than their server.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2013

WTF? without repair SLA, good luck with that... airline tickets to CA DC will cost more than their server.

I wonder WTF are you going on about. All they state there is that while they start working on your server within 4 hours, actual repair time is not guaranteed. Could mean they will fix it in 12 hours, could be in a day/two/three. And while you are preparing those plane tickets and visas to boldly go and personally repair your $29/mo server, maybe consider the fact that no one is going to allow you into their DC to even touch their ultra-high-density custom-built servers in the first place...

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @WebProject said:

Why would you fly to the DC? I mean it's not colo, your renting the server and I doubt they let non employees access to the DC anyways..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Certainly not hating this.

CPU model :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  1734.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 7874 MB
    Total amount of swap : 510 MB
    System uptime :   20 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 11.2MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 10.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 8.29MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.47MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 1.79MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 1.73MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.05MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 9.67MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 4.98MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 9.20MB/s
    I/O speed :  152 MB/s
  • @earl you can use your license then install no problem .

Thanked by 1earl
  • @Jarland

The I/O is pretty good for 1 drive.. I think OVH normally gives decent drives compared to WII/DS..

@ttsaon said:
    earl you can use your license then install no problem .

so you can use your own windows license? that's good to know then thanks..

• All sold out now!

• @earl

Indeed, if not you we probably miss this servers out. As to the support i been surprised - I opened an ticket inside us.ovh.com/managerv5 they replied within 10 mins on my questions in Saturday.

• @Demontager said:
    earl

Indeed, if not you we probably miss this servers out. As to the support i been surprised - I opened an ticket inside us.ovh.com/managerv5 they replied within 10 mins on my questions in Saturday.

yeah I think OVH in Canada is pretty good.. even when I call they pick up right away.. then again OVH.ie the one or two time I emailed support they were reasonable quick! it's when it comes to billing and sales is what really takes them a while.

well, I'm glad they are treating you good..

• Back in stock if anyone missed the last round..

• @earl said:
    Back in stock if anyone missed the last round..

Sold out again...

Thanked by 1earl
  • @joodle said:

That was quick!!

• What's with ovh and ip failovers? We have some vps providers providing two and even four extra ips for a simple vps. ovh doesnt provide even 2!

• @joelgm said:
    What's with ovh and ip failovers? We have some vps providers providing two and even four extra ips for a simple vps. ovh doesnt provide even 2!

Actually if you purchase the KS1 server from ovh.ca they include a total of 4 IPV4 and /64 IPV6.. but it cost $10/mo more, it also had 2 x 1TB so you can do raid..

• @earl said:
    Actually if you purchase the KS1 server from ovh.ca they include a total of 4 IPV4 and /64 IPV6.. but it cost $10/mo more, it also had 2 x 1TB so you can do raid..

I am wondering if anyone has ever emailed them to ask if they don't allow extra IP or if that is just a lost in translation from French to English :p

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

@zhuanyi said:
    I am wondering if anyone has ever emailed them to ask if they don't allow extra IP or if that is just a lost in translation from French to English :p

yes I have called ovh.ca to confirm.. the PE servers comes with 1IPV4 and 1 IPV6.. the KS line of server comes with 4IPV4 and /64 ipV6 inclusive in the price of the server..

I think they did this in OVH.ie as well for all the KS servers, you can only get 1 IPV4 no more..

• Out stock again :D

• @thuvienvps said:
    Out stock again :D

Yup..the second round probably lasted no more than an hour before they were out of stock..

• thuvienvpsthuvienvps Member
    edited October 2013

@earl said:

Did you get one also?

• @thuvienvps said:
    Did you get one also?

While I was tempted I did not get one because I would have no use for a server with just 1 IP.. suppose it would make a great torrent or file server.