Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH.ca Limited Edition i3 @ 3.4Ghz 8GB Ram 2 TB Sata2 $29/mo - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH.ca Limited Edition i3 @ 3.4Ghz 8GB Ram 2 TB Sata2 $29/mo

Comments

• thuvienvpsthuvienvps Member
    edited October 2013

@Demontager said:
    Yes, accept. They told by phone they are open worldwide. BTW. I'm Ukrainian

I try to order with link above but i cant choose others country than Canada.
    How to order?

P/S: order placed, waiting for new toy

• @thuvienvps said:
    P/S: order placed, waiting for new toy

supposedly it's a 1 hour delivery.. so should not be long.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Yeah can't use my existing login for ovh.ie and only has canada country selection. Well that sucks. Who lives in Canada? :P

• How I long for an offer like this, albeit with a small, say 64GB, SSD.

Ah figured it out. Change the country at the top right, find the dedi again and order. Done.

• @jarland said:
    Yeah can't use my existing login for ovh.ie and only has canada country selection. Well that sucks. Who lives in Canada? :P

you could probably sign up on their US site ovh.us.

also if I recalled my converstion with ovh in Canada, they dont need verification cause they only accept payal as method of payment.. not sure if that has changed or not.

@Microlinux said:
    How I long for an offer like this, albeit with a small, say 64GB, SSD.

I'd be happy if they just offer more than 1 IP.. lol

• @jarland said:
    Ah figured it out. Change the country at the top right, find the dedi again and order. Done.

Lol!! you're out of control.. you must have a dedi (or two) with every provider!

@earl said:
    Lol!! you're out of control.. you must have a dedi (or two) with every provider!

I can stop ordering dedis anytime I want. I just don't want to.

...said the addict.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @jarland said:
    ...said the addict.

let us know what drive you got.. even thought the AD states a SATA 2 @Setsura got a SATA 3 which is 6.0Gb/s!! with 64mb cache

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2013

@earl and what motherboard did you get? Or @Setsura or anyone else.

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

@rds100 said:
    earl and what motherboard did you get? Or Setsura or anyone else.

I did not buy one, but yeah would be good to know what motherboad they use..

Was thinking about building a server, saw a good deal on a Gigabyte motherboard at the local comp shop that comes with 8x SATA 3 port and RAID onboard

• @earl avoid Gigabyte, get Asus if possible.

Anyone who got this server, can you please run dmidecode and tell us what motherboard it has?

• @rds100 said:
    earl avoid Gigabyte, get Asus if possible.

>

Anyone who got this server, can you please run dmidecode and tell us what motherboard it has?

Gigabyte is Awesome.. honestly I never had much luck with Asus even thought everyone swears by them, I think the first google computers used a Gigabyte board..

• Whats the average time to provision?

• @joelgm said:
    Whats the average time to provision?

On the site it says 1 hour deployment..

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited October 2013

@earl said:
    1 hour deployment

Has anyone got it within that time frame?

No failovers suck.. I dont have IPv6, and dont have any idea regarding NAT. How hard is it to set up NAT on a fresh dedi?

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

@joelgm said:
    Has anyone got it within that time frame?

That I don't know.. it's somewhat hard to believe that OVH can get anything done in an hour! they usually take a week to get anything done lol..

@joelgm said:
    No failovers suck.. I dont have IPv6, and dont have any idea regarding NAT. How hard is it to set up NAT on a fresh dedi?

Actually I just thought about this.. considering that they have an automated OS install, you can forgo with proxmox and just install the OS you want, you can test what ever you like and rebuild the server when your done..

or if you are interested in doing NAT it's pretty easy for ovz.. just issue the command on the host node

gives your CT access to the internet
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.2.0/24 -o eth0 -j SNAT --to ExternalServerIP

routes the internet to your CT
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 102 -j DNAT --to 192.168.2.3:22

where dport is what you input in putty to connect to your CT, and :22 is the port your are connecting to in your CT, so can be :80 for http etc..

for IPV6 you can tunnel, lots of tutorials out there or you can check out gogo6 where you install a client and it automatically configure an IPV6 for you..

Forgot to add.. if not etch0 it could be vmbr0

• @earl said:

Yup. But it could be automated. On online.net, it usually takes 3-5 minutes between order confirmation and provisioning.

• An hour is very possible when the servers are already ready and racked, just waiting for someone to order and then activate it :)

edited October 2013

@joelgm said:

Got mine in an hour or less. Gave earl root to check it out. Heading to the beach :)

Thanked by 2Droidzone earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

@jarland said:
    Got mine in an hour or less. Gave earl root to check it out. Heading to the beach :)

Well Jarland was kind enough to give me root access to his server but I don't think I feel comfortable playing with his new server and all.. lol, so maybe someone can post the specs when they have time..

dmesg or dmidecode should pop up the specs for the server or "dmesg |more" "dmidecode |more"

@rds100 said:
    earl avoid Gigabyte, get Asus if possible.

http://ks4002294.ip-198-100-147.net/hw.txt

Thanked by 2earl rds100
  • @jarland thanks!
    Intel H61 chipset, so no SATA3 ports, only SATA2. But you don't need SATA3 anyway, 3Gbps is more than enough for the HDD.

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

Thanks Jarland..

so it comes with an intel board DH61AG and Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz

it's a really good deal considering that datashack is selling a i3 2100 with 8 Gb ram and 500 Gb drive for $59/mo and it's sold out!

• Hmm.. looking at my KS server with the E2180 it also uses an intel board, D945GCNL.. I think they use intel for all their builds..

• @earl said:
    it's a really good deal considering that datashack is selling a i3 2100 with 8 Gb ram and 500 Gb drive for $59/mo and it's sold out!

Yes, but also consider that Online.net is selling Xeons with 300 Mbit guaranteed speeds and 'unlimited' data for $10 more, with an option of 5 ipv4.

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

joelgm said: Yes, but also consider that Online.net is selling Xeons with 300 Mbit guaranteed speeds and 'unlimited' data for $10 more, with an option of 5 ipv4.

Actually if you look at the KS1 server which also cost $10/mo more I think it comes standard with 3 fail-over IP which totals to 4 IP4 included.. I believe 3 fail-over IP's are included in all the servers at the BHS location with the exception of the LE. and it comes with 2 x 1TB..

but OVH, 100Mbit is kinda slow compared to 300 Mbit, and also I think with online they give you IPMI free?

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

Ok I just called them to confirm.. you do get 4 IPV4 in total with the KS line of servers included with the price which only cost $10/mo more than the PE servers and they do provide telephone support in BHS which is limited to hardware network etc.. since it's unmanged...

• @earl said:
    let us know what drive you got.. even thought the AD states a SATA 2 Setsura got a SATA 3 which is 6.0Gb/s!! with 64mb cache

SATA 2/3 is really irrelevant with 7200RPM drives.

• thuvienvpsthuvienvps Member
    edited October 2013

Got mine in 1 hour. Is there anyway to install Windows on this server, OVH license is quite ?high.