Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HiFormance deadpooling — BACKUP YOUR DATA NOW! - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HiFormance deadpooling — BACKUP YOUR DATA NOW!

Comments

• @delt said:
    HOW DO I UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS THREAD?? I'd just like to... like, not receive 100-150 mails per day about each reply to a messageboard thread that's not even relevant to me anymore, preferably WITHOUT having to block them directly from my mail server.

kthx

https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/preferences/

Thanked by 1eol
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@delt said:
    HOW DO I UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS THREAD?? I'd just like to... like, not receive 100-150 mails per day about each reply to a messageboard thread that's not even relevant to me anymore, preferably WITHOUT having to block them directly from my mail server.

kthx

At the top of the page you'll see a star, click it so it's not lit up.

Francisco

Thanked by 2eol netomx
  • PayPal has decided full refund for my case.

Thanked by 2dahartigan t0m
  • @amj said:
    PayPal has decided full refund for my case.

Mind sharing any info that would help others? Screenshot of your conversation with paypal, with any private information redacted, would definitely help others.

• So they will have a PayPal debt but basically be able to do it all again under a different name?

• amjamj Member
    edited December 2018

@wtfcook

I am using PayPal in Japanese language, so quotes in follows except HiFormance's answer are rough translated. Timezone is UTC+9.

I opened the dispute on 17 Dec 2018, reason: "Item significantly not as described"

I purchased a VPS "VZ-2019" with 3 years contract via seller's post on LET forum; https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/152023
    On 14 Dec 2018, the VPS became offline.
    I opened a support ticket on seller's website, I got no response and the ticket closed.
    According to the post, seller announced to close services; https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/154418
    I paid VPS use fee for 3 years but the service was available only about 3 months.

I did reopen the ticket at my.hiformance.com on 17 Dec 2018 by replying, I got an answer on 18 Dec 2018:

HiFormance is closing our doors any systems that are down will not be able to be accessed. There will be an announcement put up soon

Therefore, I escalated the dispute to claim on 18 Dec 2018.

I purchased a VPS "VZ-2019" with 3 years contract via seller's post on LET forum; https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/152023
    On 14 Dec 2018, the VPS became offline.
    I opened a support ticket on seller's website, I got no response and the ticket closed.
    According to the post, seller announced to close services; https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/154418
    I paid VPS use fee for 3 years but the service was available only about 3 months.
    I reopened the ticket on seller's website by replying, I have got an answer from seller:

HiFormance is closing our doors any systems that are down will not be able to be accessed. There will be an announcement put up soon

Therefore, I request refund.

On 26 Dec 2018, I got a notice from PayPal:

PayPal received a reply from seller, now reviewing

I am not informed about what HiFormance replied because the case is in claim period.

Today, I've received an email from PayPal:

Subject: Your PayPal case PP-D-(masked): you receive $26.98 USD
    We refunded $26.98 USD to you the full amount.

• Thanks @amj. Hopefully it will help people.

• @amj you were within paypal's 180 day buyer protection period. That's why it was so easy for you. I will have to call them too once I get my hands on a phone line that does not cost more than the VPS.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @jurajcepar88 said:
    @amj you were within paypal's 180 day buyer protection period. That's why it was so easy for you. I will have to call them too once I get my hands on a phone line that does not cost more than the VPS.

(Coughs) This is why you use a debit/credit card. Your bank WILL (with no doubt) have a better protection program lol

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • @Francisco said:

@rbiut said:
    I just received a update (seller message) on my Paypal claims:

HiFormance has posted a new message regarding this case:

HiFormance offers a service, the customer agreed to the Terms of Service stating there is no refund prior to making payment. Once a customer orders the service, it is is immediately provided. The service is a virtual good that cannot be shipped.

• HiFormance, Wednesday, 26 December 2018

I guess that's the big announcement. They fully intend to fleece their customers.

Francisco

Indeed.

• WSWDWSWD Member, Host Rep

@doghouch said:

@jurajcepar88 said:
    @amj you were within paypal's 180 day buyer protection period. That's why it was so easy for you. I will have to call them too once I get my hands on a phone line that does not cost more than the VPS.

(Coughs) This is why you use a debit/credit card. Your bank WILL (with no doubt) have a better protection program lol

Yep, exactly as I mentioned above. Your bank has a reason to fight for you to keep you and your business. Paypal doesn't give a shit, largely because they know there aren't any real alternatives.

• @WSWD tl;dr PayPal sucks for both consumers and sellers

• @doghouch said:
    @WSWD tl;dr PayPal sucks for both consumers and sellers

But until something better comes along to replace it, both consumers and sellers will continue to be screwed by PayPal.

Thanked by 1eol
  • doghouch said: PayPal sucks for both consumers and sellers

Entirely correct, but the big reason I often use it is that it means less chance of CC # leaking onto dark web when host disappears. My preferred option is to use a single-use virtual credit card number generated by my bank.

• @tetech said:
    the big reason I often use it is that it means less chance of CC # leaking onto dark web when host disappears.

This. So much this. Sooooo much this.

Along with all those fools sending copies of their IDs to either OVH, Hetzner or Amazon. Because security breaches never happen right? Right? Riiiiiight?

• eoleol Member
    edited December 2018

I always use fake names or ids if required.
    If that doesn't work I will look elsewhere.

EDIT:
    Edit.

Thanked by 1tcp6
  • @tetech said:

doghouch said: PayPal sucks for both consumers and sellers

Entirely correct, but the big reason I often use it is that it means less chance of CC # leaking onto dark web when host disappears. My preferred option is to use a single-use virtual credit card number generated by my bank.

Too bad, my bank lets me create an infinite # of prepaid cards lol

:P

Thanked by 1tcp6
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited December 2018

Paypal refused to refund because it was 180 days.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/152776/hiformance-shit-can-lowendtalk-admin-step-in/p1

You can contact your bank. They can do a direct chargeback to the seller with no Paypal approve needed.

Chuck said: You can contact your bank. They can do a direct chargeback to the seller with no Paypal approve needed.

Won't paypal flag/ban your account if you do that though?

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Chuck said: You can contact your bank. They can do a direct chargeback to the seller with no Paypal approve needed.

Won't paypal flag/ban your account if you do that though?

Francisco

If you do that often. This year, it was for HiFormance shit.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2018

@WSWD said:
    I'll never understand why people continue to buy products with PayPal (using bank account) when they continually rule against the consumer.

Yeah, I agree with this. I've found it significantly easier to just pay for everything using credit card, and do chargebacks through the bank. Usually the credit card company is on your side (particularly if it's recent and you haven't paid your credit card bill yet, as technically it's their money on the line :P) and the seller needs to prove that you don't deserve the money back. That's a lot nicer than PayPal, who tend to initially be on the seller's side and the burden of proof is on the buyer.

@Chuck said:
    Paypal refused to refund because it was 180 days.

Quite a few banks will also be unable to do a chargeback if it's been longer than 120 or 180 days, depending on the card issuer (Mastercard, Visa, AmEx, etc) and the bank's policies.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited December 2018

Be careful though. Such a request for refund (after 180 days) will be left on your record.

Do it more than few times, you can expect some restrictions next time or, in the worst case, card renewal denial because you aren't actually getting your money back from the scammer. The card issuer is coughing out their own money.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

If anyone gets their paypal locked for disputing a $10 charge with their CC company, please submit your info to the Darwin award committee.

• I opened a PayPal case, in which I requested a pro-rated refund for the remaining months on a 1-year plan. Today I got a message saying it was decided in my favor. It was opened within 180 days.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@tetech said:
    I opened a PayPal case, in which I requested a pro-rated refund for the remaining months on a 1-year plan. Today I got a message saying it was decided in my favor. It was opened within 180 days.

Full refund I guess? Or did they pro-rate as you requested?

@MikePT said:

@tetech said:
    I opened a PayPal case, in which I requested a pro-rated refund for the remaining months on a 1-year plan. Today I got a message saying it was decided in my favor. It was opened within 180 days.

Thing is, was HIF around much more than 6 months in the first place?

PayPal's going to take these guys to court for straight up fraud if the refund requests start going into the thousands.

Francisco

Thanked by 2MikePT nocom

@Francisco said:

@MikePT said:

@tetech said:

PayPal's going to take these guys to court for straight up fraud if the refund requests start going into the thousands.

Francisco

Yep. Paypal is probably eating the costs themselves. Which isnt good...

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

And people wonder why Paypal is charging so high.

Whenever a fraud happen, they are the only one that is responsive enough to solve your case.

Thanked by 2MikePT Shazan

@FAT32 said:
    And people wonder why Paypal is charging so high.

Whenever a fraud happen, they are the only one that is responsive enough to solve your case.

Yep...

@MikePT said:

@Francisco said:

@MikePT said:

@tetech said:

Francisco

Yep. Paypal is probably eating the costs themselves. Which isnt good...

To a point.

They'll only go so far before they start denying it and try to find the owners.

Francisco

Thanked by 1MikePT