Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 399
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2020

@kjl24 said: will there be rotating offers similar to that of last year?

I'm replying to you here since it's more appropriate. We have no plans of having a Black Friday offer at this time, although we have the capacity and are prepared to set it up should we have the appropriate time to continue with offers.

So, in conclusion, maybe.

@FAT32 said: Now I am just wondering will it be the triple the deal instead of double 🤔

Everyone's getting something different. At least that's how I remember it for the people that were processed already. Oh, there's no notification by the way, I'm not sure if I mentioned that, for most of these prizes. So you may have already got it (chances are low, but in the 5-10% range maybe.)

@scorcher9 said:
    @VirMach

.topbar_right .btn.belizehole {
        padding: .5em 1.3em;
    }

I've grown to like it how it is, I'm a monster.

@JabJab said: That is longer story - I had promo applied to wrong invoice/service, ended with -45$ invoice and other one on 90$ or something. Asked support to fix it - they did, however turns out their system was not ready for manual invoice fix for 0.0$ (from another website tbh, this is vpshared not straight out virmach) and there is no way to pay this (even tried manually generating links, system refuses ).

My only hope now I someone will fix that before they will delete my data, I do not remember what I had there - if no backup it was nothing important, but still I remember I had something there

WHMCS has been acting funky. As for termination, we've extended it out to 2 weeks already when we saw our ticket queue build up. For appropriately titled tickets made in the priority department, we try to pick these out and handle it quickly.

I just looked up your ticket, I'm really not sure about why WHMCS randomly likes not renewing $0 services.

They make a lot of breaking changes in each version upgrade, so we stay up to date and get penalized for it. Not always their fault, but it's very difficult to locate every little thing that decides to act weird sometimes. For some reason, WHMCS has recently also liked making breaking changes in their template files, meaning if we use a custom template and don't go look at every single changelog and add it one by one and hope they mentioned all of it, or do not start over from the base template and redo all of it again, we cannot actually keep using the same template without heavy modifications. Then there's weird changes like them deciding that it was a good idea when a customer is marked as "fraud" to run their card first, even though they don't really use the API from the card processor to gather any new information and change the fraud score. There's this poor design choice WHMCS made where when customers add fund, they do not go through fraud check. It's not possible. Now, when we contacted them a long time ago, instead of improving the functionality, they said it's a feature and that we should just require the customer order a product first before adding funds or that when they order it would run fraud check. The problem? They can make a legitimate $1 order and then deposit $200 with completely different details if they wanted, and then that's a chargeback whether or not it is spent. So the good part of this was that as they said when the customer places an order, it runs the fraud check. Guess what? They randomly decided to not run fraud checks on customers' orders when they paid with store credit because... it's store credit and not a payment method. I guess they forgot that they also don't run it when it's deposited. Imagine this, but for 10-20 different things each time it's updated. So long story short, I have no idea what's causing the $0 bug. We've caught others like it and fixed it, but we'll have to work this out with WHMCS and when they confirm a bug (and don't call it a feature) it still takes a while to fix.

In this case, the invoice split issue is something we've identified the cause of but no solution. We had something worse but luckily it did not affect many people, where payments were taken, marked as paid, but for some reason, WHMCS decided not to do the part where due dates were extended. All-around bad time for the web VNC to break and leave us with probably 900+ tickets on just the web VNC.

(edit) I just found the bug with the $0 invoice and I really hope this is on our end but it seems like something completely avoidable/coding change on WHMCS. I'll see.

Actually, I'll just make the guess publicly here, it seems like it's related to the genius "charge before doing anything" tactic they do for credit cards, and it tries to charge $0 to the card but obviously our payment process says no.

@FrankZ said: @VirMach is there any desire to recreate my shared hosting plan under directadmin ?

We were interested at some time, so we could offer it across the board rather than just our shared hosting plans, and negotiations fell through. I believe that was around the time they were getting popular and probably did not want to make any deal that undervalued their licensing by too much.

This would obviously not really scale well and if we're just doing it on shared hosting, unfortunately, the big preference is still cPanel and we'll just eat the costs even though we completely disagree with cPanel as a company on what they did.

Thanked by 2FrankZ kjl24
  • It's been a while since I was here, but I'm so happy to be back and see that the party is still going on!

Thanked by 3FrankZ MasonR randomq
  • @VirMach said: Actually, I'll just make the guess publicly here, it seems like it's related to the genius "charge before doing anything" tactic they do for credit cards, and it tries to charge $0 to the card but obviously our payment process says no.

I mean I've managed to go to pay page... manually and ended with:

The value must be greater than or equal 1.
    https://i.imgur.com/HWPHgPc.png

Woooah, service restored, LowEndSupport at finest! ;')
    Thanks.

• Hey buddies what do you get?

• ZA_capetownZA_capetown Member
    edited November 2020

Edit: @VirMach

On the topic of invoice system bugs...
    a while ago already (around last year?) I discovered a bug, which I'm not sure whether it's been fixed or is still buggy.... (or maybe a "feature") :-D

Related to Store Credit specifically.

The system subtracted Store Credit automatically when it generates an invoice - including those that they generate a month before you have to actually renew it/decide.

(and/or those that get cancelled before the VPS was even activated)

And even if you don't have enough Store Credit, it subtracted everything remaining and then listed the difference still owed on the invoice.

The system still nicely allowed you to cancel it before the actual due date.

All this is fine I guess, but then the system never refunds the Store Credit it subtracted and 'steals' your money (when you cancel before the actual renewal date but after the invoice was generated). :-O

I'm not sure whether this was only when a partial part was subtracted from Store Credit or whether it's also when full invoice amounts got subtracted.

Sorry that I don't have more reproducible details now... I planned to first audit myself and double check everything so that I don't have to do a sloppy post like this... but alas, never got around to it.

But thought I'd mention it since the payment system was a topic now and in case someone knows whether it's been fixed since etc.

So not sure whether it's been fixed since, or still an issue.

:smiley:

• ZA_capetownZA_capetown Member
    edited November 2020

Oh and another issue I still didn't get around to checking out fully...

With that 1 year free 256 plus deal of a coupleof days ago - the system rejected me and gave me a fraud warning :-O

(my previous CC expired couple of months ago, so I updated it when it asked me to verify my details... nothing else strange and no proxy/vpn used or anything like that)

I didn't want to reply to the ticket immediately, since I thought someone might still review it and then clear it...

...should I reply to that ticket?

and would the rejected deal then get re-instated or is that deal lost in any case?

Since I'm in South Africa and my bank is extra cautious when it detects an international payment (esp during our midnight hours), I'm planning on adding a bulk amount of Store Credit in the next day or so, to renew my previous deals and be ready for this BF... so not sure if that would be enough to put me in the "clear" again re: the fraud notice.

thanks for everthing, as always. :-)

edit: @VirMach

• double post

• @randomq said:
    Also a bus:

Looks like a low-end chinese server.

• I just started using some of the VMs I got BF 2019 AFTER renewing them. lol.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • Just scooped up one of the other BF deals on LET. I can't believe there won't (probably) be flash deals this year, but it's for the better. I'm way too busy to spend a week not sleeping! :wink:

Really looking forward to our triple rewards now, and the free Ryzen dedis!

Thanked by 1ZA_capetown
  • @ZA_capetown said:

a while ago already (around last year?) I discovered a bug, which I'm not sure whether it's been fixed or is still buggy.... (or maybe a "feature") :-D

The system subtracted Store Credit automatically when it generates an invoice - including those that they generate a month before you have to actually renew it/decide.

And even if you don't have enough Store Credit, it subtracted everything remaining and then listed the difference still owed on the invoice.

All this is fine I guess, but then the system never refunds the Store Credit it subtracted and 'steals' your money (when you cancel before the actual renewal date but after the invoice was generated). :-O

I'm not sure whether this was only when a partial part was subtracted from Store Credit or whether it's also when full invoice amounts got subtracted.

Sorry that I don't have more reproducible details now... I planned to first audit myself and double check everything so that I don't have to do a sloppy post like this... but alas, never got around to it.

But thought I'd mention it since the payment system was a topic now and in case someone knows whether it's been fixed since etc.

I actually had this issue earlier this month (again)... the system really likes applying any and all store credits to any future invoices and then never refunds it when the service is cancelled... I cancelled a service before it got renewed and the invoice that was generated gets cancelled, but whatever credits that were applied stays applied.

Luckily, they fix it for that invoice on request, so I have no complaints, except being worried about bugging them, to be honest...

Thanked by 1ZA_capetown
  • @Edmond said:

@ZA_capetown said:

I actually had this issue earlier this month (again)... the system really likes applying any and all store credits to any future invoices and then never refunds it when the service is cancelled... I cancelled a service before it got renewed and the invoice that was generated gets cancelled, but whatever credits that were applied stays applied.

Luckily, they fix it for that invoice on request, so I have no complaints, except being worried about bugging them, to be honest...

This is a well described (in Billing->Add Funds) feature.

To avoid just cancel the service before the invoice gets generated (you will still be able to use the service up-to the due date). If you change your mind you will still be able to un-cancel the cancellation.

The invoices on the yearly plans are being generated 1 month before the due date.

Thanked by 1ZA_capetown
  • Thanked by 2FrankZ imok
  • @TomBG said:

@Edmond said:

@ZA_capetown said:

This is a well described (in Billing->Add Funds) feature.

To avoid just cancel the service before the invoice gets generated (you will still be able to use the service up-to the due date). If you change your mind you will still be able to un-cancel the cancellation.

The invoices on the yearly plans are being generated 1 month before the due date.

Oh, that's very good to know, thanks for telling me!!

• So, VirMach is not planning any BF flash sales iirc and there is no reason to add funds to wallet, right?
    RIGHT?

I don't need another server, right?
    However maybe one bigger to merge some of those small things I have.
    One more?
    Don't need?

Damn you BF!

• @VirMach said:
    We have no plans of having a Black Friday offer at this time

OMG! I just read this.

So you mean there will be no BF madness this year?

• @JabJab said:
    So, VirMach is not planning any BF flash sales
    I don't need another server, right?

We seldom need more, yet we buy more! :smiley:

But there's nothing like a brilliant VirMach BF deal, (even though most of mine still idle) :open_mouth:

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @Edmond said:

Thanks for confirming this. :-)

Yes, that's my problem too.
    I don't want to bug them and open tickets, so then I usually postpone it and then later realise I never got around to it, hehe.

But I'll then sometime do a full audit on all my transactions and then open a ticket then, and hopefully get refunded those glitches. :smiley:

• 2 years in this thread guys! Let's party!

• There probably won't be a VirMach BF party this year but VirMach always has some surprises up their sleeves.

• Jake4Jake4 Member
    edited November 2020

TriDance for Virmach BF deals

• We need $30/year dedis @Virmach_Matthew

Thanked by 2randomq ZA_capetown
  • Yup, it seems there'll be no BF deals from Virmach this year, but that's no excuse to have a BF/CM party here! :smiley:

• Party!

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • imokimok Member
    edited November 2020

I should go to sleep but I have to go to the bathroom.

Also I don't have money to spend.

Edit: Got some money now. But I should not spend it on servers.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2020

Almost time to party with VirMach !!!!!

Thanked by 1ZA_capetown
  • To P.A.R.T.Y!

Our favourite party of the year <3 @VirMach &(virtual)friends

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited November 2020

Gonna be serious - this year without @VirMach promos does not feel like a BF. No talks in BF 2020 Thread promo check inside. No @FAT32, no China drama, no easter eggs, no snipes. Kinda very meh.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@JabJab said:
    Gonna be serious - this year does not feel like BF without VirMach promos and all the talks in BF 2020 Thread promo check inside. No FAT32, no china drama, no easter eggs. Kinda very meh.

I contacted VirMach to join our flash sales but no replies :(