Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 162
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• Good luck with your budget. Maybe next year.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @imok said:
    Or dedicated server at $10. THAT WOULD BE CRAZY.

See the kimsufi thread...

• kimsufis are gone now

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@JabJab said:
    I remember complaining about @VirMach billing panel taking my money, but never marking invoices as paid. Looks like tables have turned and now I get free shit and they do not get my money!

Thanks to WHMCS, servers on fire and people clicking like maniacs.

Yeah, it gave me two years instead of one on those 2 servers!
    Yes, I will open ticket tomorrow, let them first handle all BFs sales, lol

DEADPOOL, how will VirMach pay bills next year?!

Should report to them!

• @randomq said:

@imok said:
    Or dedicated server at $10. THAT WOULD BE CRAZY.

See the kimsufi thread...

Real servers. Not those expensive Kimsufi.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • Datapoint: Windows 2016 with new updates took an hour and takes ~25GB. max was at ~27GB during installation. Hope @Virmach can update windows images.

Thanked by 1uptime

@ddhhz said:
    Datapoint: Windows 2016 with new updates took an hour and takes ~25GB. max was at ~27GB during installation. Hope @Virmach can update windows images.

That has already been reported.

Thanked by 1ddhhz
  • @armandorg said:
    I feel very proud of myself that did not order any of virnach’s servers this year. My wallet loves me now

You made good decision, I regret buying one, they offered 20 GB SSD space for Windows, I had poor knowledge on Windows, also missed reading the 20 GB label on SSD space, ordered one, not sure about Windows HDD requirements. Now the OS itself took 14 GB Space, only 6 GB left, my friend inspected system, told me that when windows updates itself next time and few more times, it will take few more GBs every time, then it will be dead box, return to dead pool. RIP!

My point is, when customer had poor knowledge on operating system, is it not @Virmach guys who is in hosting industry, not aware that Windows minimal requirements, will they not make a reasonable spec before promising them and taking money from customers? Or they do know this fact, wanted leave the box full, unusable, with no refund or no spec adjustment even with some payment options?

• @gks you can transfer the server to someone that could use it with linux

Thanked by 2uptime FairShare
  • @gks said:

@armandorg said:
    I feel very proud of myself that did not order any of virnach’s servers this year. My wallet loves me now

You made good decision, I regret buying one, they offered 20 GB SSD space for Windows, I had poor knowledge on Windows, also missed reading the 20 GB label on SSD space, ordered one, not sure about Windows HDD requirements. Now the OS itself took 14 GB Space, only 6 GB left, my friend inspected system, told me that when windows updates itself next time and few more times, it will take few more GBs every time, then it will be dead box, return to dead pool. RIP!

My point is, when customer had poor knowledge on operating system, is it not @Virmach guys who is in hosting industry, not aware that Windows minimal requirements, will they not make a reasonable spec before promising them and taking money from customers? Or they do know this fact, wanted leave the box full, unusable, with no refund or no spec adjustment even with some payment options?

Windows with updates will easily take around 30GB.
    Maybe you should read the specs before ordering next time.

• gks said: My point is, when customer had poor knowledge on operating system, is it not @Virmach guys who is in hosting industry, not aware that Windows minimal requirements, will they not make a reasonable spec before promising them and taking money from customers? Or they do know this fact, wanted leave the box full, unusable, with no refund or no spec adjustment even with some payment options?

Maybe use linux instead of complaining about a $1 machine

Thanked by 2eol dedotatedwam
  • DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited November 2018

FrankZ said: The CPU clock speed has been fixed on my openVZ VPS

haynhat said: I see it has been fixed in my 1 of 3 VPSs, another two still not yet (Buffalo & Los Angeles)

@FrankZ, @haynhat and others who have had their 1/2, 1/3, 1/nth CPU cores clocks fixed (also happened to me), did you also test the performance to see if there's any change?

That doesn't seem to be the case for me, at least with the basic dd md5sum test.

• It is not $1 machine, I paid 48.32 $.

Here is the spec.

Memory 13.25 GB
    SSD 20 GB
    V.Core 6
    4.5 TB Bandwidth

• $4/m for 13gb ram ok

@gks said:
    It is not $1 machine, I paid 48.32 $.

Here is the spec.

Memory 13.25 GB
    SSD 20 GB
    V.Core 6
    4.5 TB Bandwidth

That's pretty beefy.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

FYI - the DEDICATED300 coupon still works to bring the $50 per month / $500 per year server down to just $294 per year (essentially $25/mo). Just picked one up to consolidate some stuff onto :)

They didn't have any stock up until yesterday or today, so act fast if you want one before stock depletes or the coupon expires.

Thanked by 4eol uptime MikePT VirMach
  • @MikePT said:

@gks said:

Here is the spec.

Memory 13.25 GB
    SSD 20 GB
    V.Core 6
    4.5 TB Bandwidth

That's pretty beefy.

The point is, this configuration not suitable for Windows, but why this should be advertised as "Windows available", when they know, this is useless for any simple usage. At least, Virmach, having a reputation, I believe, they should not false advertise things.
    I had good lessons on Windows and all these crazy stuffs.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • I run windows 2016 core for .net stuff and it does not use anywhere near that, and is perfectly usable.

Only if you want full desktop environment for whatever reason.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @gks said:

@armandorg said:

What did you want to do with your Windows VM? It doesn't take many gigs to host a web server, full WAMP stack, or a game server... 6GB will probably get you through till next Black Friday! :)

• @randomq said:

@gks said:

@armandorg said:

What did you want to do with your Windows VM? It doesn't take many gigs to host a web server, full WAMP stack, or a game server... 6GB will probably get you through till next Black Friday! :)

I wanted to use that box for Microsoft Power BI Desktop (which doesn't work on Mac/Linux), which is memory hungry, my friend told me to buy system with high RAM, but I missed the HDD requirements, it was my fault.
    Even though Power BI needs about 1-2 GB HDD, I have been told that Windows update itself will take more than 30 Gigs over time.

I had purchased one other Root server with netcup, it has about 48GB RAM, more HDD space, but I need to figure out how to do Windows there, I am sure, I need to use that box.

I will transfer this KVM box to someone here for Linux usage, I have 10 Plus Linux VPS from Virmach itself now.

• See here for Windows on Netcup.

Thanked by 1gks
  • southysouthy Member
    edited November 2018

The point is, this configuration not suitable for Windows,

Naaaaaa...
    What are the typical use cases for hosted windows servers?

(Backup) ADS, MS SQL, dotNET stuff, perhaps Exchange.
    All of these probably rather for testing/ playing around rather than productive use, looking at the price and of course space for actual data.

All of these work brilliantly on 20 GB, of course as „core“ without Desktop.

Of course if you want to push serious data in then you’re wrong here.

But looking at the types of discussions here I can not help but think that we have mostly people here that want to have a server for private „playing around“ (nothing wrong with that) and choose windows because that’s what they know and they assume it’s easier.

And boy is that a wrong idea.

Quite honestly guys, if you want to play a bit and perhaps set up a website on the side...
    Don’t use windows.

Not only will you end up installing the Desktop (because that’s what you know) and then 20 GB is really too small.

Honestly:
    Yes, Linux is different. But that doesn’t mean that windows is easier.

I guarantee you that if you install ubuntu, perhaps even with „Desktop“, you‘ll be quicker at a result and with MUCH less pain.

I have never in discussions about servers so often read the requirement „windows“ as in this thread. And i am pretty sure that 90% of the buyers would be better suited with a different OS.

There is a very limited number of reasons why private people might use a win server. Most likely you do not have one.

(Me, for example, i was looking for one as well - but in addition to my normal Webservers and for a very specific purpose (RDS).)

„Normal“ users for Webhosting, Development etc. will almost always be better off with something else.

when they know, this is useless for any simple usage.

It is not.
    Typical roles as „core“ will work fine.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • How are you guys securing your windows box?
    Updates is job1 but in terms of RDP access what are you using to prevent brute force?

Currently im using BitviseSSHD to tunnel RDP sessions through ssh and use sftp for transfers if needed.

• @carcosa said:
    How are you guys securing your windows box?

I install Slackware.

Thanked by 3Yura AuroraZ angstrom
  • @carcosa said:
    How are you guys securing your windows box?
    Updates is job1 but in terms of RDP access what are you using to prevent brute force?

Currently im using BitviseSSHD to tunnel RDP sessions through ssh and use sftp for transfers if needed.

Zerotier, connect only through the private network.

Thanked by 1southy
  • @gks said:

Here is the spec.

Memory 13.25 GB
    SSD 20 GB
    V.Core 6
    4.5 TB Bandwidth

You've got plenty of bandwidth, so why not mount storage from elsewhere? Windows will run fine.

• @VirMach if you are not planning on anymore crazy sells I would suggest disabling CloudFlare anti-ddos/browser detection on billing (or set to much mooooore). If you take too long writing ticket - your session will timeout and after clicking Submit you will end on stupid CF page, that will redirect to main page, nuking everything you typed already (yes, you can click back few times, browsers tends to save form data now, but I can imagine not everyone knows and they will be pissed off)

@MasonR said:
    FYI - the DEDICATED300 coupon still works to bring the $50 per month / $500 per year server down to just $294 per year (essentially $25/mo). Just picked one up to consolidate some stuff onto :)

They didn't have any stock up until yesterday or today, so act fast if you want one before stock depletes or the coupon expires.

Nice catch, definitely worth!

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • EdmondEdmond Member
    edited November 2018

@Jake4 said:
    Don't use the chrome check link extention, it gives everyone thanks on that page

Either someone reversed it for me or I don’t see the thanks on that page from myself. Does it really matter? We’ll just thank everyone who participated but didn’t beat the checkout.

Edit: I remember why it didn’t thank everyone, I use Firefox typically on my computer and switched to chrome just for the script. I wasn’t signed into Chrome so it didn’t load every single thank link because it didn’t exist on the page.

• does that shitty thanks vanilla plugin really use GET and not POST for modifying actions