Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

chicagovps.net overselling, lies and overall customer fraud - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

chicagovps.net overselling, lies and overall customer fraud

Comments

• Oh so you're calling your customer a liar because he said he wasn't getting acceptable performance? How many times did he run that test? Were you migrating people that whole time? You'll migrate them to a cheaper node for free, but migrating them back costs money. I see how you work, @CVPS_Chris.

Thanked by 2DmitrijCSR Indic
  • JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2012

@CVPS_Chris
    I think you are making a arrogant decission on your behalf, You have to accept the fact that your hardware could not meet upto your overselling. Thus this would not be the client's liability and your ignorance will not help resolve this.

Let's just go over the basic responsibility of "Unmanaged" and the "Ethical" practises of business,
    A) Maintaining a substantial reliability and overall acceptable performance for the client. - Failed, According to the Customer.

B) Assisting the customer throughout his transfer, You migrated his VPS and simply left him there but then even pushed him further and put a Fee on the transfer back to another "Stable" Node. Which he did not neccessary want or require to be transfered in the first place. This was due to your overselling, YOUR Responsibility.

C) "Our focus is on quality and doing things right, the first time. Our corporate culture is that of accountability." - Failed, According to the Customer.

I am not taking sides here, But from what I can see on this thread it looks like you are doing some serious white lies Chris to worm out of this sticky situation.

Thanked by 2Naruto DmitrijCSR
  • @DotVPS like i said, just pass it the flag to not delete files on the source node and you will be fine. If it corrupts the vm on the destination node you still have all the files.

• @CVPS_Chris nothing against you but hey, don't call me a liar.

• @DotVPS said: atleast then you know whats going on.

vzmigrate is just doing rsync, it's not magic, it just works, always pass the -r flag to keep the files til you are sure, but in the hundreds of vm's I've migrated over the past couple of weeks, 2 failed

• ZettaZetta Member
    edited February 2012

This person is clearly an adolescent.

• @zetta This person is obviously an adolescent.

Even if he is, does that mean he deserves to get ripped off?

This promotion looked shady from day one. When I saw that a month after the promotion started, Chris is still posting on LEB that the code still works and there's stock available, the alarm bells went up a notch. Bottom line is that for that price you either can't meet the expectations for the service you're providing, or you're making nothing and you'll be in the dead pool in a few months.

But I'm surprised Chris didn't use the same response to screenshots that he did in his LEB thread: "Hang it on your wall and frame it so mommy can see!" and calling your customers idiots.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Hello,

Stop being stuck on the vzmigrate option. vzmigrate was not an option at the time as it would have affected the overall customer network experience as it was transversing our two cores at our datacenter. I will also say again: NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH HIS CURRENT NODE he just wanted to be on a new E3 that wouldn't give him much of a benefit at all.

I also like all the providers chiming in on this as well, anything to kick some dirt in the face while your down. Ill make sure to do the same next time instead of minding my own business.

Also, this is ONE angry customer out of the thousands we have. Im not too worried, let the thread die or keep it doing I don't care, just more free publicity :)

Regards,

Chris

• The only part in which the customer was out of line is when he started telling Chris to rot in hell and yadda yadda.. but I bet you would loose your cool too if a provider did that.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited February 2012

@CVPS_Chris

Stop being stuck on the vzmigrate option. vzmigrate was not an option at the time as it would have affected the overall customer network experience as it was transversing our two cores at our datacenter. I will also say again: NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH HIS CURRENT NODE he just wanted to be on a new E3 that wouldn't give him much of a benefit at all.

Just a minute... I thought your excuse for his poor node performance was that you were transferring customers TO his node. (affecting the overall customer network experience)

NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH HIS CURRENT NODE he just wanted to be on a new E3 that wouldn't give him much of a benefit at all.

Why not just put him on the e3 :)

It would have saved this thread, and a customer. It doesn't take that long to move containers man :(

• Telling someone that they should be burned alive is a pretty awesome rhetorical tactic. When I took Persuasive Communication in college they taught us that one right after valid forms for syllogisms.

@soylent, This is actually the second time we offered this sale and trust me we are no where even close to the dead pool.

We have a larger venture capital than probably any provider here. For this sale alone we deployed 9 NEW E3 1270 nodes. The fact we are being judged on one persons comment is silly.

Regards,

Chris

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited February 2012

@DotVPS that is true and that's probably one of the main reasons this customer was not helped, but that hasn't been said yet.

• I ordered a VPS on ChicagoVPS's First 2GB RAM VPS Sale, Performance was average but everyone is basising their comments and opinions from what the OP has provided and your attitude towards the customer.

At the momment your story has so many loopholes and It's hard to believe that at first you did not mind the "customer network experience" being affected with the first transfer of the OP, Now you are opposing your original decission...?

Providers are not just chiming in to simply get "Free Publicity" or "kicking some dirt" in your face, Majority of us are reguarly active here and participate in daily discussions. It is a open forum, Why should we not?

@DotVPS
    Accidently thanked your post.

Thanked by 1DmitrijCSR

@Ease, I meant free publicity for me, even negatives generate interest.

The reason it didn't effect our network in the first place was because we had a cross connect ran outside of our network.

As much as you want to question us, we do know what we are doing, and the decisions were made by me and cannot be changed and that's alright because I am still standing behind my decisions.

Regards,

Chris

• @CVPS_Chris said: Also, this is ONE angry customer out of the thousands we have. Im not too worried, let the thread die or keep it doing I don't care, just more free publicity :)

Oh so no concerns about your customers as individuals? You only care if you lose a significant group. You don't care about your customers, they're just $7 a month to you. You treated that customer unfairly and when he complained about it here (since you weren't doing anything) you basically say he's just butthurt and to ignore what he says.

@ Naruto,

Apperantly you didnt read the whole ticket. In just 2 replies after he opened the ticket I quote: "Dmitrij, I can move you to a new node, but it will have to be a clean VPS. Regards, --------------- Chris Fabozzi CEO / Director of Operations [email protected]"

Never did I say we were going to move his data etc. I blatantly told him upfront that it would be a new clean VPS. Then he went on to tell me he needed to keep his same IP because of software he had purchased that is bound to his IP.

I went out of my way to make this possible, and it wasn't an easy task but I got it done. When I let him know we are ready to proceed and I needed an update when he has completed his backup he went crazy.

Not sure what your looking at, but I went above and beyond what I should have done for a "SINGLE INDIVIDUAL" and then he turns around and tells me to die in a fire.

Real nice.

• AdamAdam Member
    edited February 2012

@CVPS_Chris said: Also, this is ONE angry customer out of the thousands we have. Im not too worried, let the thread die or keep it doing I don't care, just more free publicity :)

Umm just because others didn't go public, doesn't mean there weren't more disappointed customers of yours.
    And no matter how rude the customer was, he does still have a point. I would be annoyed if I was transferred to another node without my knowledge (with different hardware).

@CVPS_Chris is it so hard to admit that there are a lot of abusers using your service and just maybe his comments about the nodes performance being poor was true?
    When I had a couple of VPS's with you, there were plenty of problems with abusers eating CPU (75%wa+ for periods was normal for a period of time).

Thanked by 1DmitrijCSR

@Adam, and Im assuming we took care of the issue correct?

@DotVPS, yes this is true, and I still tried to work with him.

Now that you have the full ticket you can see the real truth.

Sorry, I have a lot on my plate at the moment and trying to do 100 things plus keep up with the thread

• Adam 75%wa would be disk i/o problems.

• @CVPS_Chris said: I will also say again: NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH HIS CURRENT NODE he just wanted to be on a new E3 that wouldn't give him much of a benefit at all.

This is simply untrue. I was also a customer of ChicagoVPS. I have experienced nothing but terrible performance and terrible customer service while using their VPS.

In the span of one month, I had the "opportunity" to experience two of their nodes. They oversold their first node enough that over 70% of my RAM was being swapped to disk. They then decided to move a bunch of us to a temporary node without any notification, which resulted in many hours of unexpected downtime. The second VPS had a slower CPU as the OP noted, but performance was okay for a week. They then proceeded to oversell this "temporary" node and performance went to hell again. An ioping test showed iops under 20. Ridiculous.

The performance was so bad that nginx could not load simple pages. In the rare times the server did work, it took almost a minute for any page on my website to load. When I noticed the poor performance, I opened up a ticket asking for some investigation. I received an immediate reply stating that they were looking into it. However, they did not give me any replies after that. I sent them additional data and requests for updates every few days, but received no response. During this entire time, the performance of the server remained terrible, and my website was nearly inaccessible. After over a week, Jerimiah finally responded stating that they are aware that the node is slow.

The terrible performance and complete lack of communication from these guys is simply unacceptable. This $7/month VPS is slower than any reputable $15/year server out there. At least nginx can serve an HTML file properly on a $15/year VPS.

I am also sure that the slow performance of my website is not caused by me. Since moving to a new provider (with less RAM and fewer CPU cores), my website has consistently rendered in the 0.1-0.3 second range.

Thanked by 1DmitrijCSR

Coolin,

Your in the same boat as the OP. I never denied any of these problems "from the start". The past 2 weeks have been fabulous on all nodes, almost no ticket coming in about them. Im sure you had these issues when this mishap all happened but it was fixed as we said we would.

Regards,

Chris

• @CVPS_Chris said: I do not need to tell your step by step how I run my business.

Beyond the discussion at hand, I think you should make a habit of explaining exactly how your business is run. Just my advice.

• AdamAdam Member
    edited February 2012

@CVPS_Chris said: and Im assuming we took care of the issue correct?

Yes and no...
    There were quite a few issues spanning the 4-5months I was with you. All related to i/o & cpu wait.

One of the reasons which caused me to leave was your specials.

• When the nodes were finally stable and things were alright, you would have another special... Which then opened the flood gate to more users and the occasional abusers, causing the node to be "slow" and all together rubbish until things settled down a week+ later.

@Corey said: Adam 75%wa would be disk i/o problems.

Yep :)

• @CVPS_Chris said: The past 2 weeks have been fabulous on all nodes, almost no ticket coming in about them. Im sure you had these issues when this mishap all happened but it was fixed as we said we would.

The thing is that the past 2 weeks were terrible. They were nowhere near "fabulous". I cancelled only a couple of days ago. I gave you guys the benefit of the doubt until the very end of my billing period, hoping that performance would improve and that my site would load better. It did not. The ioping results under 20 iops that I quoted were less than a week ago. Performance was as bad as ever. So I got fed up and cancelled.

• How dare they tell him to backup his server, how dare they charge him for a managed service, how dare they helped him while he bitches at them. Tsk, tsk...

• @Zetta Are you just trolling?

LOWENDTHEATRE PRESENTS

CHICAGOVPS : A Play In One Act

Scene 1: A lemonade bazaar on a grassy knoll at noon time. A PROVIDER in a dashing houndstooth coat offers his services to a naive CLIENT in a propeller beanie.

CLIENT: And so you're telling me that I can drink as much lemonade as I want from this vat for only 7 dollars a month?

PROVIDER: That is correct sir! Technically you share the vat with several other users, but we guarantee that you can drink up to 100 liters per month on this plan, which normally sells for 25 dollars a month!

CLIENT: Well spin my beanie, that's brilliant! Sign me up!

FADE OUT.

Scene 2: The lemonade bazaar. Some time has clearly passed as the leaves have begun to turn orange and red on the trees. The CLIENT is irate, as evidenced by the new mood ring he has bought to match his beanie. The PROVIDER is confident and smooth in a charming houndstooth goose down parka.

CLIENT: Pardon me, but I can't help noticing a slightly metallic taste to my lemonade. This doesn't look like the same vat you sold me initially...

PROVIDER: Weeellll there was a lot of demand for those vats. I'm sure you understand. We temporarily had to move your service to one of our old rusty lead vats, but it'll be fixed soon!

CLIENT: Could you please hurry? I have important plans for this lemonade, but drinking it like this is causing abdominal pain and seizures.

FADE OUT.

Scene 3: A day later.

CLIENT: I tried to get lemonade today and the only thing that came out of my rusty lead vat was a hastily scribbled note telling me that I'll have to wait 5 minutes between lemonade withdrawals.

PROVIDER (clearly out of breath and concealing a Sharpie): Ah, about that. We've had a lot of demand lately, and, well, you understand.

CLIENT: I'd like to be moved to a new vat immediately.

PROVIDER: Well, it'll have to be an empty vat--

CLIENT: But this is only happening because of what YOU did!

PROVIDER: --and you'll have to mix your own lemonade.

CLIENT: This is ridiculous!

PROVIDER: We're working on it. Trust me.

FADE OUT.

Scene 4: Later that evening.

CLIENT: I came back to get more lemonade, and there is a suspicious urine taste on top of the lead poisoning.

PROVIDER: Ah, you noticed that.

CLIENT: I need you to move my lemonade immediately. This is ridiculous.

PROVIDER: Good news on that! I've got a vat set up that we can get you into right away--

CLIENT: Great, let's do that!

PROVIDER: --but you'll have to take a bucket and move your own lemonade.

CLIENT: That's ridiculous! You own an industrial lemonade pump!

PROVIDER: Sir, please, this is an unmanaged lemonade service.

CLIENT: It's right there! It's already plugged in!

PROVIDER: Do you perchance have five dollars?

CLIENT: You're going to charge me for something that only happened because you screwed up in the first place!?

PROVIDER: Sir, this is a discount service...

CLIENT: I HOPE SOMEONE BURNS YOU ALIVE!

PROVIDER: HANG IT ON THE WALL SO MOMMY CAN SEE IT!

The LOWENDTALK PEANUT GALLERY furiously munches popcorn.

PROVIDER: You're only one customer. This is just free advertising.

CLIENT 2, waiting in the wings: Hey, this lemonade tastes like pee!

FADE OUT and SCENE. EXEUNT.

• I thanked it for the effort. Protip for the client (OP) though: Even if your provider isn't being as good of a provider as he could be (for varying reasons that vary among providers and ways they can not be as good), do not insult them or be mean.

This discussion has been closed.