Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New LET Administrator! - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New LET Administrator!

Comments

• Thanks Jarland

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

dynamo said: From a general user's perspective, this is yet another regressive move from a series of such since the day LEA let go of this forum. With Anthony now at the helm of affairs, the forum has completed its transformation from a user's one to a provider's one now. The original theme was long lost but I never wanted to see LET getting controlled by someone who himself is a VPS host and advertiser here. Without casting any aspersions on the person himself, he definitely is part of a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" lobby across the ocean. This was all fine when he was just another provider here but definitely not as a admin. Jarland was still OK in that sense.

I appreciate your perspective...and to a very small extent, share it. This place is different since the LEAdmin days.

I think there's two parts to that.

The World Has Changed

Originally, LET was an extension of LEA's blog. LEA went out on his madcap adventures, trying out services, and reporting back. In those days there was no "provider tag" or anything like that. LEA was looking for the obscure. We watched over his shoulder.

Please remove your hat and bow your head for a moment in silent admiration of LEA, who invented the term Low End Box.

However, the reality is that what obscure in 2006 (cheap VM) is no longer obscure. You can get pretty beefy VMs in 2018 for less than what LEA had to hunt down in 2006. LEA stopped hunting down cheap VMs because they're everywhere. In a sense, LEBs no longer exist...I mean, yes there are cheap boxes, but when thousands of providers are offering 1GB VMs for $5/mo or less, they've become just another VM, not a "cheap VM where you have to specially admin it due to low resources and the provider might be dodgy".

Many of LEA's tutorial topics - and this one is an all-time Internet classic in my opinion - aren't relevant any more. Few people are trying to shave down memory on a 64MB VPS these days because you can get a 1GB for very cheap.

So to be honest, a board where people discuss cheap VMs and there are no offers would likely be very dull today, or at best a duplicate of a hundred other Linux discussion forums.

LET is Owned by CC

LEA sold it to Chief, who sold it to CC. If you want to pick a moment where LET transformed from a "hobbyist game store where people sit in the back and chat" to a "storefront with some tables in the lobby and a menu" that would be the moment, not when admins change.

I'd feel your pain more strongly if CC had taken LET and run it with an iron fist. Here are some things we have not seen since CC bought LET:

• elimination of non-CC ads
    • stifling of CC criticism
    • only allowing ads by companies who don't compete with CC
    • only CC people as admins/mods
    • policing of links (to competitors, other boards, etc.)
    • strict rules

Indeed, as the guy who largely wrote/harmonized/revised the current community rules, I am happy to report that no one from CC talked to me about them or had any input. I can't think of any change made here that I'm aware of in terms of policies or rules which was dictated by CC (though I'm just a mod). And I'm not a CC employee - so you have a forum owned by a company who derives revenue from it, yet they let someone like me (random member) revise the rules and moderate. That's pretty cool hands off.

And now you have a CC competitor (probably not a major one but still) as admin.

So really, I can't fault CC for how they've run LET, cluster errors and our expiring SSL cert (Monday, @jbiloh!) aside.

LET Community

LET ultimately (1) a freakin' Vanilla forum and (2) a community. I think it's arrived at place where it's still relevant because of community.

In comparison, vpsBoard has largely failed despite enormous effort and outlay by MannDude. The guy put tons of time into custom code, theming, etc., not to mention cash prizes and contests. The guy had passion and commitment. Yet it failed to attract any audience, and it seems that even a relaunch hasn't really grown the board (a shame).

Forums rise and fall on their communities...probably the biggest part of the LET story is that the community has survived despite many changes for many years.

So yeah, the place is different than the LEAdmin days, but I can't subscribe to your view of "regressive" changes into a "provider's" forum. Providers definitely play a larger role today than they did in the early days - very true - but this is not just a provider's forum, nor have I seen any evidence of "back scratching". At the end of the day, I come here to talk to people I know, meet new people, and find deals...that has not changed.

Wrap it Up, Dude!

I think the only difference between me and Maounique is (a) I talk about LET rather than oppression, and (2) paragraphs.

Thanked by 4southy MasonR beagle iki
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

raindog308 said: LEA sold it to Chief

Slight correction, no money changed hands. LEA gave it to Chief (drawing a blank on his real name and username at the moment), as in handed it over for free. I don't know if I still have the messages from LEA when he handed the blog over to Chief, @Francisco, and myself but he said his wording made it sound like he was just handing it over. Then a few weeks later when I spoke to Chief on the phone I remember him saying it was given to him.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • mfs said: I do believe that a "consular" approach (like: at least two active same-rank admins) would have been even better, especially in some corner case scenarios when one can't act because he will be accused to be biased (or because his tough skin will be revoked in doubt). It may prevent long, painful and bitter ends on some attempts at covering all the possible feelings of the community.

Absolutely - I may not be too active posting wise, but I've never been nor intend to be a provider on this forum. You'll find me shittalking on Discord, or answering tickets mainly.

Whilst I'm certainly aware of the potential bias, on the contrary I feel that having someone who's on the other side of the table (as a provider) has its benefits. One thing I've stated previously is the desire to make this place a little more provider-friendly. Having an inside input on that from a very well respected host should be welcomed and valued.

Jarland did consult the team on Anthony, and I held no reservations against him being appointed, furthermore whilst Jarland has been more active on the forum side of things, there's always been an understanding that either can veto a decision.

ElliotJ said: Jarland did consult the team on Anthony

He did!?!?

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Now it gets interesting :-)

• @raindog308 said: Wrap it Up, Dude!

I think the only difference between me and Maounique is (a) I talk about LET rather than oppression, and (2) paragraphs.

I'm willing to bet good money that you two have at least one other difference as well. :-)

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited January 2018

@jarland said:
    I think my favorite thing about LET will always be this:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/minion

Minion close this thread

See, it doesn't work

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

He did!?!?

Discord wins :D

jarland said: Discord wins :D

It's a cancer.

Thanked by 2Amitz Nekki
  • WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:

@raindog308 said:

He did!?!?

I demand a recount.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @WSS said:

@jarland said:

@raindog308 said:

He did!?!?

I demand a recount.

You're still delusional about this community being a democracy. It won't be a democracy until at least half of the people vote to make it one.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2018

@AnthonySmith: If you decide to make Discord your main mean of communication too, then I fear that I will not receive any of it. I already spend too much time here, I will not go even lower. I am a Lady, you know? Ladies do not belong there.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • WSSWSS Member

@teamacc said:

@WSS said:

@jarland said:

@raindog308 said:

He did!?!?

I demand a recount.

You're still delusional about this community being a democracy. It won't be a democracy until at least half of the people vote to make it one.

I just want the names and pertinent info of those people who hang on Discord. I've been there a few times, and if the Cest Pit is a pool, well, it's a swamp that needs to be drained.

@Amitz said:
    @AnthonySmith: If you decide to make Discord your main mean of communication too, then I fear that I will not receive any of it. I already spend too much time here,

Ditto.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @jetchirag said:
    Congrats @AnthonySmith, now can you please remove the severe warning badge that jarland gave and has been bugging me?

Tik tok

• WSSWSS Member

@jetchirag said:

@jetchirag said:
    Congrats @AnthonySmith, now can you please remove the severe warning badge that jarland gave and has been bugging me?

Tik tok

Right click, block element..

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @WSS said:

@jetchirag said:

@jetchirag said:

Tik tok

Right click, block element..

That's one way <3

• jetchirag said: Tik tok

What's wrong with "Do not bump old threads to help vpssim advertise"?

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2018

Congrats @AnthonySmith !
    @jarland best of luck in your upcoming ventures!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jetchirag said: Tik tok

I am not taking any unimportant mod actions for a few days, also, just broke my hand... joy.

• AnthonySmith said: also, just broke my hand... joy.

...not really? Or really? Fuck.

• WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    I am not taking any unimportant mod actions for a few days, also, just broke my hand... joy.

I told you to stop pounding the pole when playing portal!

Thanked by 1MCHPhil

Amitz said: ...not really? Or really? Fuck.

sadly really.

• WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith said:

sadly really.

..the fuck did you do? Drunk on power, fell off your high horse?

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @AnthonySmith said:

sadly really.

This means no gaming right?

Unless you’re as good as that pro SF player who plays a mean Chun-Li mainly using his face (no joke, this guy is amazing).

WSS said: ..the fuck did you do? Drunk on power, fell off your high horse?

I broke it holding on to an 800kg horse, funnily enough, I got stuck in the mud, lots of things happened, no idea what specifically, but now everything is swollen like hell and I have taped it all up.

• WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith said:

WSS said: ..the fuck did you do? Drunk on power, fell off your high horse?

I broke it holding on to an 800kg horse, funnily enough, I got stuck in the mud, lots of things happened, no idea what specifically, but now everything is swollen like hell and I have taped it all up.

I hope you've got plenty of ice for the swelling. This isn't a great way to start things off. :(

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2018

@AnthonySmith said:

sadly really.

I feel with you! Get well soon!!