Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New LET Administrator! - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New LET Administrator!

Comments

• Congrats, @AnthonySmith,
    I suppose that being an admin is a big deal? I really enjoyed reading some of your posts @Jarland. It seems that you are very smart and try your best to do the right thing. In regard to this forum, I read it to get insight but try to look over the grotesque and over-the-top comments. You have a beautiful daughter and it seems that you try to do your very best to be the best dad you can. Your passion has not gone unnoticed.

God bless you!

Thanked by 1jar
  • Congrats @AnthonySmith, now can you please remove the severe warning badge that jarland gave and has been bugging me?

• thanks @jarland and @AnthonySmith
    and also $7
    and also poll not found
    and also debian thx

Thanked by 2WSS maldovia
  • jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Welcome & congrats @AnthonySmith !!!

• alfredalfred Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

We'll miss you @jarland :'(

I'll always remember you as the kind man who handled my ticket on DO: http://i.imgur.com/p56sWuj.png

Congrats @AnthonySmith on the new role!

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Does this mean I can't make fun of @AnthonySmith any more? And @Jarland is now fair game? :D

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited January 2018

Good luck @jarland, thank you for your service, i hope you'll stay around. Welcome @AntonySmith, also well known, reputable member and provider - both, two nice people i know of, best wishes.

• Thanks for all your efforts, I’m sure you will but hope you stick around and keep us updated with your future endeavours!

Best of luck Anthony I’m sure youll smash it.

• Is @anthonysmith gonna build a wall, too?

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • proximaproxima Member
    edited January 2018

thank you @jarland and all the best.
    Congrats @anthonysmith

• @jarland hope this doesn't mean you'll be out of the forum. But I can definitely understand your desire to spend more time on your growing business. I appreciate your time here and all your efforts in making this sub a fun and yet valuable place for us all.

@AnthonySmith the bar is set high But I'm sure you'll have a firm grip on it.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I'm sad to see you step down @jarland, I liked your admin style and felt it was exactly what LET needed.

I have nothing but respect and good things to say about @AnthonySmith, he's an amazing person and probably one of the best people I've ever met online to date. That being said, I'm worried that his position is temporary as I fear this community will change him. I will enjoy seeing a lot of the BS being removed much faster (Anthony's "ban first, ask questions later" attitude will certainly be much different than jarland's "let's see how this plays out" attitude), but at the same time I think he's too genuine for this community. I foresee Anthony trying to push this community in the right direction (which it's strayed from long before jarland was in charge) and the people who are determined to keep it the way it is will cause a lot of friction for him. Anthony remembers how the community was in the beginning, it was professional, intellectual, civil, and yielded a lot of amazing topics and information... those days are long past us and it's since evolved into something completely different. For better or worse, here we are. Do I hope that Anthony makes a push to clean up the forums and return LET to it's former glory? Yes, 100% yes. Do I think it's a good idea for him to try? I honestly don't know.

I'll still continue visiting and contributing where I can, the management change has 0 impact on me. This rambling at 5AM is just my 2 cents on the matter.

Good luck Anthony! And thanks for the transparency and contributions as admin jarland!

• dynamodynamo Member
    edited January 2018

From a general user's perspective, this is yet another regressive move from a series of such since the day LEA let go of this forum. With Anthony now at the helm of affairs, the forum has completed its transformation from a user's one to a provider's one now. The original theme was long lost but I never wanted to see LET getting controlled by someone who himself is a VPS host and advertiser here. Without casting any aspersions on the person himself, he definitely is part of a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" lobby across the ocean. This was all fine when he was just another provider here but definitely not as a admin. Jarland was still OK in that sense.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2018

VPS provider isn't as relevant of a detail over other provider as some would claim. I advertised here my entire time as admin, and also was a VPS provider, just didn't post VPS offers here. I'd challenge anyone to provide evidence of this causing a problem.

The idea that a provider brings negative angle that a non provider doesn't is also an overblown but common thread of discussion here throughout the years. Non providers accept bribes, have less incentive to hold themselves to high standards, have their own bias same as anyone else, etc.

At least if a provider does shady things, they have something to lose. Joel wasn't a provider, need I say more ;)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

@dynamo said:
    From a general user's perspective, this is just yet regressive move from a series of such since the day LEA let go of this forum. With Anthony now at the helm of affairs, the forum has completed its transformation from a user's one to a provider's one now. The original theme was long lost but I never wanted to see LET getting controlled by someone who himself is a VPS host and advertiser here. Without casting any aspersions on the person himself, he definitely is part of a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" lobby across the ocean. This was all fine when he was just another provider here but definitely not as a admin. Jarland was still OK in that sense.

I for sure understand that perspective and i expected that would have been the overwhelming perspective dominating this discussion.

I am pleased must people know my track record on bring able to seperate church and state here but at the same time dont see the admin as a big deal, just a time served member helping to direct things, it is not a paid position, it is not top of the food chain.

I do however rely on opinions like yours to guide me, i am now the 3rd host+admin it is nothing new.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited January 2018

dynamo said: Without casting any aspersions on the person himself, he definitely is part of a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" lobby across the ocean. This was all fine when he was just another provider here but definitely not as a admin.

What you fear could happen without provider tags being involved. I prefer something in the clear for the resident pitchforks to point at rather than something "behind the scenes". There's plenty of active pitchforks around here and as soon as something shady is going on rest assured it will be pointed out. This is something I appreciate of this forum, especially if compared with other forums in this segment.
    Someone in the industry is certainly more qualified and trained than a random guy at assessing what kind of behaviour providers and non-providers shall observe.

I do believe that a "consular" approach (like: at least two active same-rank admins) would have been even better, especially in some corner case scenarios when one can't act because he will be accused to be biased (or because his tough skin will be revoked in doubt). It may prevent long, painful and bitter ends on some attempts at covering all the possible feelings of the community.

I know it's difficult and really unrewarding to hold an "officer" position, I feel like that the spirit of "giving back to the community" for free should always be appreciated and this Texan guy, even if he's a hell of gun-lover and a Trump supporter for sure, went through some really difficult administrative task on here and whilst he probably didn't always do the better thing in all cases, he seemed appropriate, unbiased and a good admin in most.

Good luck to who's leaving and (even more needed) to who's coming

Thanked by 1jar
  • @KuJoe said: I have nothing but respect and good things to say about @AnthonySmith, he's an amazing person and probably one of the best people I've ever met online to date.

I misread this at first and understood that you had met @AnthonySmith on an online dating site. :-)

Thanked by 2KuJoe Darwin

mfs said: I do believe that a "consular" approach (like: at least two active same-rank admins) would have been even better, especially in some corner case scenarios when one can't act because he will be accused to be biased (or because his though skin will be revoked in doubt). It may prevent long, painful and bitter ends on some attempts at covering all the possible feelings of the community.

You're in luck :)

https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/elliotj

Thanked by 1caracal
  • @jarland said: just didn't post VPS offers here

Thats my point. And its not just about offers. As a host, one tends to defend their upstreams & business partners all the time and sometimes with a tremendous bias. And when that person is a mod or admin, the situation already gets a undue tilt in one's favor.

@AnthonySmith said: I am pleased must people know my track record on bring able to seperate church and state here but at the same time dont see the admin as a big deal, just a time served member helping to direct things, it is not a paid position, it is not top of the food chain.

I do however rely on opinions like yours to guide me, i am now the 3rd host+admin it is nothing new.

I really like you Anthony and your presence on this forum has always been soothing (ignoring that one annoying secret pact between you and clouvider that you must thank 4/5th of his posts and he must do 3/4th of yours :P)

Over the time I have seen the atmosphere on LET turning too much provider-centric with the situation now being that every new member who registers is assumed to be a guilty troll until he proves himself innocent. I just hope no fault-lines appear while you manage the affairs here and you are able to do justice to this board. My best wishes.

edited January 2018

dynamo said: Over the time I have seen the atmosphere on LET turning too much provider-centric with the situation now being that every new member who registers is assumed to be a guilty troll until he proves himself innocent

Don't forget context though. This place was booming with providers and that kept members rolling in. Providers were run out of this place by the toxic environment (incredibly more likely to have unfair bad reviews posted about you for having posted an offer here) and constant DDOS attacks, and the community declined as a result. Naturally, leadership will involve leaning toward what you need in order to see the community thrive. The community needs providers, else this is literally just a troll forum and it dies out when 5-10 people get bored.

dynamo said: As a host, one tends to defend their upstreams & business partners all the time and sometimes with a tremendous bias

Right, and my proposal is that these same biases and tendency to defend exist in non-providers. Go seek out bias on /r/Android and you'll find people defending an operating system as though their income depended on it, and usually it doesn't. People defend their choices passionately on the internet, it's just our culture.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

Nice one, would be an interesting place with less or no provider's :)

Maybe thats an interesting idea, make a section that hosts cannot see.

@clouvider thank this post please :)

Thanked by 1Clouvider

I think my favorite thing about LET will always be this:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/minion

• WTF? The Brits are taking over?
    "The Empire strikes back"?

What a well-thought out plot! That way the empire will surely rise and exceed it's former glory after the continent gets cut off in 2019! "Hosting minus minus minus" - This must be part of her Mayesties BREXIT-plans.

:-)
    Thanx @jarland. Welcome @AnthonySmith.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@eva2000 said:
    LET should whip up a LET history page outlining past and current admin/mods. Hard to keep track of heh

Awesome idea IMHO

• Do we have yet another admin?

• @jarland so long and thanks for all the fish! :) this is one of the best and fairest forums from a moderation perspective that I am a member of.
    Welcome @AnthonySmith I hope you do us Brits proud!

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Thanks for your commitment @jarland and congratulations @AnthonySmith.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

caracal said: Do we have yet another admin?

Yes. There is white smoke in Buffalo.

• Welcome @AnthonySmith, thank you @jarland.
    P.S.: I bought an MXRoute @jarland.