Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ServerHand Exits the LowEndMarket - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ServerHand Exits the LowEndMarket

Comments

• @VirMach said:

ServerHand said: When it comes to saving the company, I'll do what I have to do. If what has been suggested isn't favorable, maybe I should just transfer the clients to someone else who would like them. I'm open to offers of taking on customers.

We're willing to help out. If any of your customers want to be transferred over we can try to honor as much of the package specifications as possible (with the same renewal cost.) We just won't be able to do the E3 cores, IPv6, or DDoS mitigation in some locations. Everything else seems fine (the locations, KVM, SSD, etc.)

That's a very kind offer VirMach, and I'm sure some of his customers (possibly including myself) may well end up inquiring with you. That said, I'm hoping a solution can be found. (Edit: And potentially it looks like it has, given Serverhand's post above.) I bought one of the less-cheap plans he offered for sale and until this announcement broke I'd actually been very happy with things:
    1. The default VM images were sensibly configured and the control panel had configured my IPs correctly (something neither Franco's panel nor the Solus install at another provider does reliably in my experience, though that's not a slight at Franco - I'm using a more obscure OS of the many choices he offers, and I don't expect that OS to be as well-thought out as, say, CentOS...).
    2. My 4 or so support tickets got filled within 30 minutes each and the replies were thoughtful, complete and accurate.
    3. The box I was placed on was extremely fast and reacted well to everything I threw at it

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@ServerHand said:
    I am not terminating any yearly services from anyone from LET. Please submit a ticket if you got an email today and you are a LET user. Include your LET username and I'll mark spredsheet. This will free up capacity, I will cancel the servers and refund the people that I AM cancelling.. it is not directed at LET members and this whole situation was not caused by anyone at LET. It's not even really LET-caused..

So to make it clear, you’re not cancelling Customers from LET for PR reasons, but you have no isssue discriminating against others ?

• @Clouvider said:
    So to make it clear, you’re not cancelling Customers from LET for PR reasons, but you have no isssue discriminating against others ?

And what would you have me do?

• @ServerHand said:

@Clouvider said:

And what would you have me do?

First come, first serve (aka cancel+refund anyone who bought it after you ran out of space)

Thanked by 2Clouvider vimalware
  • @teamacc said:
    First come, first serve (aka cancel+refund anyone who bought it after you ran out of space)

Not able to do it. Sorry.

• ServerHand said: And what would you have me do?

If you're asking, how about just booting the guys giving you grief and and letting the reasonable folks stay?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

cake, eat it.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • Unable. Sorry. Not doable.

• @ServerHand said:

What could be a reason that you could not be able to do that?

I think you'd have to clarify a lot in this thread, I am sorry to be blunt.

Thanked by 1LjL

@ServerHand said:

@teamacc said:

In that case get ready for high Charge Back run that will likely drive you to he ground with the fees. With less PR disaster initially.

I don’t get it, leaving the responsibility, and the law, and your reputation, and everything a side really, CB fees are higher than the actual transaction amount. It’s in your own selfish interest to refund people to avoid the feees. To say It bluntly, it is chesper to refund them.

• @Clouvider said:

With less PR disaster initially.

Thats already done anyhow.

• @Clouvider said:

@ServerHand said:

@teamacc said:

In that case get ready for high Charge Back run that will likely drive you to he ground with the fees. With less PR disaster initially.

I don’t get it, leaving the responsibility, and the law, and your reputation, and everything a side really, CB fees are higher than the actual transaction amount. It’s in your own selfish interest to refund people to avoid the feees. To say It bluntly, it is chesper to refund them.

You (@serverhand) have a 10/year vps. Chargebacks are 35 usd each. This means that refunding 9 people costs you the same as 2 chargebacks. If you expect less than 25% of the people to charge back, you have not properly identified that the bulk of your customers is chinese, who tend to charge back for a lot less than this bait and switch "we give you credit to use other services" type of shit.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Clouvider said:

I have no idea what you're on about. I said I was cancelling and refunding yearly customers. It won't affect those that signed up from the LET post. It just affects those from a post from a Chinese forum that the offer was reposted to.

• @Nekki said:

ServerHand said: And what would you have me do?

If you're asking, how about just booting the guys giving you grief and and letting the reasonable folks stay?

@Nekki, the main problem at this time isn't abuse. Even with all the abusers out, there remains a problem (basically, too many BF offers sold).

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Wow, this thread went from bad to worse in just a few posts. I'm glad to see that people who know the secret handshake get to keep their service though.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@ServerHand said:

@Clouvider said:

I have no idea what you're on about. I said I was cancelling and refunding yearly customers. It won't affect those that signed up from the LET post. It just affects those from a post from a Chinese forum that the offer was reposted to.

So where was the transaction made? On LET or in your billing system ?

• ServerHand said: I said I was cancelling and refunding yearly customers. It won't affect those that signed up from the LET post. It just affects those from a post from a Chinese forum that the offer was reposted to.

The good thing for you is that after this thread, people from LET that will keep the service, won't touch it for anything even wearing gloves, so, the one and only server you seem to have for your... "company" will gain some resources for the poor guys that will continue host stuff there...

P.S. What a joke of a "hoster"...

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Also, it is a shame you didn't follow @Nekki 's advice for your company name, that gave you last year...

Nekki said: Go with ServerFist, it makes you sound more aggressive and sexually alluring.

Thanked by 1Nekki
    edited December 2017

Right, so your only stealing from the group of people that are absolutely the most likely to charge back first and ask questions later, seems like a good move, we should expect a "despite our best efforts it is time to call it a day, we are closing on..." email within the next 90 days then.

So your new support staff that you 'hired' on the same day as initially trying to get away with this are obviously working for free, or you would remove them to cover refunds.

This is a classic case of selling yearly deals to cover monthly bills with absolutely no clue what to do when month 2 hits imo.

I just hope you have been using PAYE rather than dividends because when PayPal close your account and come after you for the chargeback money they paid out they absolutely will recover it by filing for bankruptcy on your behalf at which point any dividends/directors salary will be considered a loan which you will be forced to pay back.

Edit: I see its an LLC not an LTD, I am sure similar if not more ruthless laws and regulation exist in Florida.

I hope you sort this out I really do, I hope you prove everyone wrong or even just get lucky I am sick of all these ridiculous 1+1 = 10 hosts damaging the market.

Side Note: I really do hope that the provider tag is removed asap from your account, maybe replace it with "sponge".

Thanked by 3Clouvider Lee WSS
  • @ServerHand said:
    It won't affect those that signed up from the LET post. It just affects those from a post from a Chinese forum that the offer was reposted to.

And how does this make any difference at all? As I already said you need to clarify why you say you are "unable" to do that.

bitswitch said: And how does this make any difference at all? As I already said you need to clarify why you say you are "unable" to do that.

Its pretty obvious, the only explanation is that he sold yearly deals to cover monthly bills, now he cant afford month2.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

angstrom said: I was reluctant to open a thread for this, but you were right to do so.

170+ comments later, I guess so :-)

• Sorry you don't like my solution guys. It is what it is. I choose to stay in business, will redo the plans and pricing to actually cover the hardware costs, and go from there. Existing customers will continue to get great support and service. Maybe one day those of you who are posting here who are not customers would like to try it, once it's more stable. Thank you guys for your understanding.

• @ServerHand said:
    Sorry you don't like my solution guys.

What is your solution? I asked you several times for clarification.

• I won't copy the email received today from @ServerHand (he can post it if he wants to), but it says that they will "terminate all yearly services and refund everyone". More precisely, there are two options: a prorated refund or account credit. In order to ask for a refund, you need to fill out several fields on a Google docs page. The email also says that they will give people until Friday night to back up their data.

What @ServerHand proposed above in this thread is to allow LET members (exceptionally) to keep their yearly services if they want to keep them. In this case, they need to open a ticket saying that they're from LET and want to keep their yearly service(s).

(This is intended as a summary of the present situation.)

Thanked by 1Taoron
  • @bitswitch said:
    What is your solution? I asked you several times for clarification.

Yearly plans in Los Angeles will be cancelled and refunded.

@ServerHand it is what it is, it is theft, plain and simple, you messed up and you expect others to literally pay for your mistakes.

@raindog308 any reason this thief is being allowed to keep his provider tag?

• @angstrom said:
    I won't copy the email received today from @ServerHand (he can post it if he wants to), but it says that they will "terminate all yearly services and refund everyone". More precisely, there are two options: a prorated refund or account credit. In order to ask for a refund, you need to fill out several fields on a Google docs page. The email also says that they will give people until Friday night to back up their data.

What @ServerHand proposed above in this thread is to allow LET members (exceptionally) to keep their yearly services if they want to keep them. In this case, they need to open a ticket saying that they're from LET and want to keep their yearly service(s).

(This is intended as a summary of the present situation.)

That would be even an acceptable resolution and if it had been like this from the start wouldnt have required all that drama.

• bitswitchbitswitch Member
    edited December 2017

@ServerHand said:
    Yearly plans in Los Angeles will be cancelled and refunded.

Fair enough, if it is true, along with what @angstrom posted it is somewhat reasonable given the circumstances (that you wanted to stop providing the service without a refund).

But I dont understand any preferential treatment for LET members .....

• TaoronTaoron Member
    edited December 2017

@bitswitch said:
    Fair enough, if it is true, along with what @angstrom posted it is somewhat reasonable given the circumstances (that you wanted to stop providing the service without a refund).

No, no one ever said that was going to happen.