Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a problem with ZxHost? - Page 24
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a problem with ZxHost?

Comments

• @WSS said:

@fingon said:
    I'd like to get SX61 and my old data in CEPH effected vps is important too.

Comprehension isn't your strong point..

Get my data back is just my HOPE...

• We won't get anything back.

• simlevsimlev Member
    edited January 2018

Very sad indeed. It would have been better had the service been discontinued right after the CEPH crash. Setting up a new server for such a short period of time was a wasted effort for both Ashley and the customers (those who did get the replacement VM, I mean).

Possibility Ashley didn't make his calculations right from the beginning, or he had (or realized he had) other issues, or maybe had higher expectations for new orders that didn't materialise. Just speculating, of course.

@cpsd said:
    We won't get anything back.

I expect we get some money back, eventually.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • simlev said: expectation for new orders that didn't materialise

Every order was losing money, so more would have just aggravated the problem.

I got the same email and sure, a pro-rated refund will be gratefully accepted if/when it arrives, though like some others here I'm not optimistic. The SX61 offer is nice, especially now that crapcoin miners have gobbled up all the cheap Hetzner auction servers.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Not had that email this morning but I was never a LET customer of ZX. I'm taking that to mean that other services they offered will still be running? Although I am starting to get sceptical of that...

• I got that email, too; I have to say I'm quite disappointed. I had really held out hope that he could pull through on the Hetzner storage servers; I suppose it just wasn't a sustainable price point given the cost of an SX61.

If his PayPal account is still limited, that bodes ill for both our refunds as well as other non-LET-special services.

And here I'd passed up the HostHatch 1.5TB special, too. Maybe $4/TB/mo is about the lower limit for sustainable storage VPS.

seanho said: If his PayPal account is still limited, that bodes ill for both our refunds as well as other non-LET-special services.

Yeah that was my thoughts. I've put an email into Ashley checking.

On my VPS /proc/cpuinfo doesn't match anything Hetzner sell, and a traceroute shows it going through 23media.de as 3rd hop, I wondered if he was reusing some of the servers from before the CEPH issue.

• Pro-Rota refunds will be sent to ALL customers who have paid past 20th January 2018

I not native english speaker but doesn't that mean after 20 January? (21, 22)

• @Golbinex said:

Pro-Rota refunds will be sent to ALL customers who have paid past 20th January 2018

I not native english speaker but doesn't that mean after 20 January? (21, 22)

Yep. Like if someone has paid 3 years or 2years.

And who ever done disputes before and cancelled after receiving the server cannot do dispute again.

So either you pay more to have better server from him or patiently wait and pray to receive a refund.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Is he closing the full shop or just the storage side of things? It’s a shame however from day 1 we all knew things were too good to be true, the product and price just didn’t work per his email.

It’s a shame if he’s closing his full business, i never had dealings with him but I know others did.

A

Thanked by 1willie
  • Honestly, if he doesn't give a refund, I don't really mind. Already got 8+ months out of the year I prepaid it for, so it isn't a huge loss.

From my lack of email I'm hoping it's just the LET offers that are being discontinued... but we'll see

• I've generally kept a low profile in this thread since everyone was being so tolerant, but IMHO, I think this was handled very poorly.

1. I received zero emails from zxhost throughout this incident, and none show being sent in the CP.
    2. 6 week + old ticket closed and deleted without response.
    3. Product now shows "LET Germany Retired" in CP.
    4. No partial refund or account credit for the 6 months of service not received.

It would be very hard to ever use this provider again because of the way the issue was handled.
    Good bye, good riddance, and happy new year.

Thanked by 2Falzo szarka
  • majesticmajestic Member
    edited January 2018

A lot of us have paid for three years up front and for many they also brought several. I bought three which was later combined into one. I have since moved my data three times and the second being ceph wipe out which was a total loss of data as after two months of trying has yielded nothing. I have myself partly to blame for extra misery because I trusted CEPH due to its nature but his cluster failed which after doing heavy research into CEPH can only lead to the conclusion that he was running with near defaults on everything. This may or not be fact but its speculation as theres over 500 tuneables and quite a few of them are really required i.e. ceph OSD set-nearfull-ratio 0.60.

I highly expected he suffered several disk (OSD) failures. I highly doubt it was mirrored or raided in any way that I can nearly assure you of due to costs. By design, CEPH doesn't really need raid but if he failed multiple OSD's to the point that he didn't have enough space left to hold the data, that would explain so much. Once you get your self in a mess like that, I read its almost impossible to get your data back and thats what I think has happened.

From all my testing due to setting up and running my own CEPH cluster now, I can tell you, it will recover from MOST/all outages on its own as long as you follow a simple rule, "don't overfill your capacity). If it says yours at 75% that doesn't mean you have 25% so no need to upgrade/expand because you can't suffer a failure! you should look more at this calc to get a rough idea what warning values you should set because out of the box its set to 85% which for most workloads is far too great and by this time it is too late.

I know Ashley has said it was a bug but without backing it up with proof (bug report etc) I can only speculate which is what I have above. All I can say is CEPH is used by thousands of companies worldwide and they still do and CEPH is still the best at what it does period but again its only as good if you look after it carefully i.e. add storage before your out and can make sure that at all times you can suffer X failures depending on your workload.

Moving on... I have nothing against Ashley and in some ways I think hes doing the right thing and pull the plug now but that doesn't mean I am happy by any means. I have wasted more hours then I can count and also extra money taking time off to reset stuff that yes I am pissed but not really at him.

I am pissed at the people who "forced" PayPal chargebacks. These are the "aholes "who are to blame for everyone's misery. I think people should understand how PayPal works and what happens when you initiate a chargeback. PayPal might be great for buyers but not for businesses. They get a surcharge (its sizeable) plus the money/refund which means the business is out even more in pocket.

I am sure if people had a little more patience and just gave Ashley some time to get things sorted and or migrated and none of these chargebacks, we would of been back online with minimal downtime. But no, people decided to force charge backs to the extent that PayPal done their usual nasty and limited the account.

So before signing off, I would just like to say a sciastic thank you to ALL whos destoried what was an awesome offering which would of lasted and made way for other providors to start offering us large storage. I hope all you are happy!

But before I go, I would just like to wish @Ashley all the best and I am trully sorry for whats happened. I still would like to wish you all the very best in the future and I look forward to recievning some cash when you can.

In the meantime, onwards and upwards, new storage providor incoming :).

p.s. The Ashley comment is sincerar, I do wish you all the best.

Thanked by 3svmo RIYAD 1allen
  • @AlexanderM said:
    Is he closing the full shop or just the storage side of things? It’s a shame however from day 1 we all knew things were too good to be true, the product and price just didn’t work per his email.

It’s a shame if he’s closing his full business, i never had dealings with him but I know others did.

A

Just the LEB "storage" part as far as I understand.

• @FlamesRunner said: Honestly, if he doesn't give a refund, I don't really mind. Already got 8+ months out of the year I prepaid it for, so it isn't a huge loss.

I will mind a lot like many others m sure. Here is why:

1. 36 months prepaid.
    2. received just 3-4 months of a terrible service (random reboots, horrible disk speeds)
    3. has total disregard for time & money of clients (not even counting data here)
    4. so many excuses about CEPH. i think he has lack of time or skill or both.
    5. no replies to tickets ever since it starting going downhill. multiple tickets keep getting auto-closed.
    6. refunds (if happening at all) are keeping on getting deferred. more n more users out of PP dispute window.
    7. is shameless enough to make a sales pitch in emails meant to provide information to panicked users.
    8. his paypal is limited for sending refunds but is fully functional to take more 3 yr commitments.
    9. if genuinely failed & broke, why doesn't he file a bankrupsy? his future clients should be able to find his previous mis-adventures.

I am appalled on how selective LET vultures can be. they will crucify and then eat someone who sold more than his capacity, failed miserably at it but still tried to face the crowd here and communicate, howsoever bad it was. On the contrary, here is someone who has literally ran away with a good amount of money (3 yr commitments of ~$100/vm, vms could be combined also), is totally evasive & non-responsive to the customers and has adandoned LET. Even the most excited members here who shout SCAM at every fallout are totally silent here.

Will post a seperate detailed negative review thread as soon as I can find time for it.

• @majestic said:

I know Ashley has said it was a bug but without backing it up with proof (bug report etc) I can only speculate which is what I have above. All I can say is CEPH is used by thousands of companies worldwide and they still do and CEPH is still the best at what it does period but again its only as good if you look after it carefully i.e. add storage before your out and can make sure that at all times you can suffer X failures depending on your workload.

>

Oh there is a bug ... read the thread here:
    lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2017-November/022494.html

Moving on... I have nothing against Ashley and in some ways I think hes doing the right thing and pull the plug now but that doesn't mean I am happy by any means. I have wasted more hours then I can count and also extra money taking time off to reset stuff that yes I am pissed but not really at him.

I am pissed at the people who "forced" PayPal chargebacks. These are the "aholes "who are to blame for everyone's misery. I think people should understand how PayPal works and what happens when you initiate a chargeback. PayPal might be great for buyers but not for businesses. They get a surcharge (its sizeable) plus the money/refund which means the business is out even more in pocket.

I am sure if people had a little more patience and just gave Ashley some time to get things sorted and or migrated and none of these chargebacks, we would of been back online with minimal downtime. But no, people decided to force charge backs to the extent that PayPal done their usual nasty and limited the account.

So before signing off, I would just like to say a sciastic thank you to ALL whos destoried what was an awesome offering which would of lasted and made way for other providors to start offering us large storage. I hope all you are happy!

Totally agree with you on the PayPal chargebacks -

• @svmo thank you for the link. Really good to know. Guess I need to be careful then but considering my cluster is for docker and that's backed up and only really using CEPHFS for docker storage between the nodes, I should be ok. Worst case I just restore offsite backups x2 running backupc.

• dbmandbman Member
    edited January 2018

@majestic said: I am pissed at the people who "forced" PayPal chargebacks. These are the "aholes "who are to blame for everyone's misery.

And I am pissed at the comments like these. Why should a customer suffer loss due to seller's mis-calculations and bad business decisions? On the top of it, bear his total disregard to tickets & attempts to contact him? They have bought the service and not received it in a charity. You want a customer to show yoda's patience when the host has gone total deaf? He sells his servers or his house to refund those affected by this for all I care. I never chargebacked a payment in life but this host might just have it from me also for the amount of distress it has caused. Some may advocate, bear with this nice guy Ashley who is working so damn hard to make things right, he might have a day job also, cut him some slack. As if all those whose who bought from him have no life, no job and unlimited time to waste.

• OMG, the more I read. the more I cry. I take it all back and feel even more horrified and sorry for Ashley. I'm glad I know now as I'm rebuilding the cluster, will drop down a version to be safe but that still doesn't help Ashley.

I can see hes tried so much to get it resolved on the posts and their direct support, so no one can ask for more.

Thanks for trying Ashley and again, so so so sorry.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • @majestic said:
    @svmo thank you for the link. Really good to know. Guess I need to be careful then but considering my cluster is for docker and that's backed up and only really using CEPHFS for docker storage between the nodes, I should be ok. Worst case I just restore offsite backups x2 running backupc.

Ironic though that building a system like CEPH to avoid single points of failure - the software becomes the single point of failure -

So glad you have the wisdom to have secondary backups on a different system.

• @majestic said:
    OMG, the more I read. the more I cry. I take it all back and feel even more horrified and sorry for Ashley. I'm glad I know now as I'm rebuilding the cluster, will drop down a version to be safe but that still doesn't help Ashley.

I can see hes tried so much to get it resolved on the posts and their direct support, so no one can ask for more.

Precisely my sentiment - and glad to have set @AshleyUK 's record straight with you

• I assume he's still selling their other services to top their PayPal to eventually refund? If so it will be just a world of pain as there will be no money to pay for servers next month.

• majestic said: OMG, the more I read. the more I cry. I take it all back and feel even more horrified and sorry for Ashley.

svmo said: Precisely my sentiment - and glad to have set @AshleyUK 's record straight with you

Where are you guys from?
    It might be fun to live in a place where the people still believe in rainbow unicorns.

Thanked by 2SwordfishBE dbman
  • @majestic said:
    OMG, the more I read. the more I cry.

Please drop a few tears for those also who got fked by him. So you are feeling sorry for him and not the users who are actually at loss in this? Irony at its best.

Thanked by 1SwordfishBE
  • @dbman said:

@FlamesRunner said: Honestly, if he doesn't give a refund, I don't really mind. Already got 8+ months out of the year I prepaid it for, so it isn't a huge loss.

I will mind a lot like many others m sure. Here is why:

1. 36 months prepaid.
    2. received just 3-4 months of a terrible service (random reboots, horrible disk speeds)
    3. has total disregard for time & money of clients (not even counting data here)
    4. so many excuses about CEPH. i think he has lack of time or skill or both.
    5. no replies to tickets ever since it starting going downhill. multiple tickets keep getting auto-closed.
    6. refunds (if happening at all) are keeping on getting deferred. more n more users out of PP dispute window.
    7. is shameless enough to make a sales pitch in emails meant to provide information to panicked users.
    8. his paypal is limited for sending refunds but is fully functional to take more 3 yr commitments.
    9. if genuinely failed & broke, why doesn't he file a bankrupsy? his future clients should be able to find his previous mis-adventures.

I am appalled on how selective LET vultures can be. they will crucify and then eat someone who sold more than his capacity, failed miserably at it but still tried to face the crowd here and communicate, howsoever bad it was. On the contrary, here is someone who has literally ran away with a good amount of money (3 yr commitments of ~$100/vm, vms could be combined also), is totally evasive & non-responsive to the customers and has abandoned LET. Even the most excited members here who shout SCAM at every fallout are totally silent here.

Will post a separate detailed negative review thread as soon as I can find time for it.

While I agree with most of what you said as I also have had the same experience but one thing for sure is, he hasn't run away. If he did, he wouldn't of had the balls to write an email earlier today telling us the facts.

While there is a chance hes doing a runner, I highly doubt it. If he was, then why has he tried so much in getting the CEPH issue fixed and this you clearly can see from the link posted from @svmo above. Secondly being a Linux Systems Engineer with over 20 years of experience, one thing I can assure you of is, when something is down, you will evade/ignore everyone and work your damndest to get things online. While it annoys me to buy the delayed emails and what not, this partly coudlnt be helped due to one/small man band and in most respects I am certain the reason was he was trying to get the cluster online so no time to answer bitchy emails. BTW does look like a nasty bug and not hes miss configured it like suspected earlier. Anyone can tell by how by what hes said and if you can't then I trully feel sorry for you.

And yes I think I can talk, I had/have three with him and I am not worried about being paid in due course.

Thanked by 2svmo willie
  • dbman said: On the to

@dbman said:

@majestic said:
    OMG, the more I read. the more I cry.

Please drop a few tears for those also who got fked by him. So you are feeling sorry for him and not the users who are actually at loss in this? Irony at its best.

Hay I have/had three VPS with him at $96 a pop, I wonder how many you got?

• @svmo said:

@majestic said:
    OMG, the more I read. the more I cry. I take it all back and feel even more horrified and sorry for Ashley. I'm glad I know now as I'm rebuilding the cluster, will drop down a version to be safe but that still doesn't help Ashley.

Precisely my sentiment - and glad to have set @AshleyUK 's record straight with you

Me too and I truly appreciate it.

As I still state, I shed no ill will, crap happens just when you least expect it. Oh and lets be honnest all, before @AshleyUK, when did we ever see a low priced high disk space + bandwidth offering for cheap? without him, we woudl't get the deals like Hosthatch or the other ones which have been popping up lately. So thumbs up on him for creating a new market.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • SwordfishBESwordfishBE Member
    edited January 2018

He could have easily minimized the disputes and chargebacks by just communicating more. Just updating his announcements page would have been enough for most.

Thanked by 2FrankZ chrisp
  • @SwordfishBE said:
    He could have easily minimized the disputes and chargebacks by just communicating more. Just updating his announcements page would have been enough for most.

That is true.

Thanked by 2svmo SwordfishBE