Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a problem with ZxHost? - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a problem with ZxHost?

Comments

• svmosvmo Member
    edited November 2017

@ucxo said:

@willie said:
    I keep hearing ZFS (and maybe btrfs) takes measures to catch this type of thing. I wonder why they're not used more.

Neither of them are entirely production-ready on Linux. btrfs and ZFSonLinux have both been "stable" for a while now, but there are still occasional bugs — which seems to be the exact same situation as with Ceph. ZOL also requires custom kernels because ZFS can't be merged into Linux mainline due to license incompatibilities.
    So if you want a tested, trustable checksumming snapshotting filesystem, you need to run FreeBSD or Solaris.

Also, checksumming can detect bit flips, but to correct them, you of course need some in-filesystem redundancy (i.e. btrfs-/ZFS-based RAID).

btrfs - will normally duplicate and checksum metadata - unless you ask it not to.

Apart from this main advantage is the ability to make, atomic, snapshots of the filesystem
    Much like OSX time machine ... you can roll back or send the snapshot over the net.

btrfs raid1 is working - higher raid level and quotas not yet.

Lxd containers on ubuntu 16.04 works well with btrfs - snapshotting a running container is fast.

OpenSuse have used btrfs as default fs for some time ... you can also install ubuntu on it.

As for Ashley I'm also waiting since 23rd.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • New VM up and running. Thanks Ashley !

• @delivereath said:
    New VM up and running. Thanks Ashley !

So do you still get 3 years bonus? As recurring payment which done before?

• @delivereath said:

it's fun to see new users who joined late getting their VPS up and running very quickly than the old user who has purchased and joined before.

@epaslv Don't you think the same?. And any response yet? :)

• goodone said: it's fun to see new users who joined late getting their VPS up and running very quickly than the old user who has purchased and joined before.

@epaslv Don't you think the same?. And any response yet? :)

Yes, I don't give a toss about my data at this stage, just like to have my VM's rebuilt, different DC, different IP, don't give a toss just like to have something UP so I can start backing up again.

Right now paying another provider month on month

• @goodone said:

@delivereath said:

So do you still get 3 years bonus? As recurring payment which done before?

Yes still got it but had a stacked 3 years package.

• I'm tired, will be taking the paypal route if I don't get my VPS today..

• @MegaNT said:
    I'm tired, will be taking the paypal route if I don't get my VPS today..

:) VPS?. I didn't even received a response yet and waiting.

• I just got my vps, thanks @ashleyuk

• Also my vps is ready

• MegaNTMegaNT Member
    edited November 2017

@elofty said:
    I just got my vps, thanks @ashleyuk

@fbrassin said:
    Also my vps is ready

Can you login to Virtualizor Panel? I can't

• Bored of waiting now think I will just cancel. I was sympathetic to he whole data loss saga and poor email distribution updates. Ticket unanswered for days and it seems there would be no hope of a refund either. I don't think it's too much to ask for a bit of proactive communication now the dust has settled.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @lurch said:

only when @Falzo says SO.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 2017

@ehab said:

@lurch said:

only when @Falzo says SO.

I am afraid I already did some days ago:

Falzo said: I have to admit I already asked Ashley after the telehouse cutoff mail to issue pro-rata'd refund on all of my services.

thanks again for your trust in my judgement but at some times I would advice to not only rely on my opinion :-)
    I already failed miserably back in the uniwebhosting drama - though that was a bad scheme from the beginning, which definitely is not the case for zxhost.

it bothers me too, that things are making progress only that slowly, esp. because there isn't any waiting for ceph cluster rebuild or something like that.
    If there are problems which might be the cause for a delay or blocking things at all, at least give a single message about.

thing is, an open pending situation once more might lead to issues with paypal, as people become impatient and will hit that dispute/chargeback button. so, I'd first sort out the people that don't want to continue service, refund and be done with quite a part of the story very quickly and foremost have them not interfering with further processes.

yet, that's not my decision, I am going to wait for a few more days and still hope Ashley gets everything sorted then.

• williewillie Member
    edited November 2017

I'd appreciate an update from @AshleyUK about the general state of ZXHost. I think Lurch is being realistic and we won't see refunds anytime soon. I'm glad Ashley is able to get VPS running for people and I thank him for his continued efforts to fix this issue, but some of those VPS are prepaid for 3 years and I have to wonder about ZX's financial ability to keep them running for that long given that the money from them is possibly already spent. Ash, can you give us an idea of how many of those containers there are? Thanks.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • there are 3 outcomes: vps, money or gone with the wind. i'm hoping for first two.

like what others say, would be nice to get some update, even if its same..

• I've asked for a pro rata refund. If he doesn't have the funds available at this time then a quick message stating this would be all that's needed along with a time frame for payment. Shit happens and I suspect a refund will never be seen but an honest reply/update to make everything clear would be the least that can happen. I won't be but I'm sure many people will soon be going the paypal dispute route causing further issues and may end up having their account suspended/terminated and I bet due to the delays people will try and end up claiming back the full amount for their service.

Thanked by 1willie
  • svmosvmo Member
    edited November 2017

@ehab said:
    there are 3 outcomes: vps, money or gone with the wind. i'm hoping for first two.

The best option for ending up with the first two is not to 'rock the boat' !

It has - looking at the caledar - only been approx 10 business days since the ceph disaster (16/11)

• although it may feel longer due to the uncertainty experienced.

At the moment I don't see Paypal disputes getting those that has opted for a pro rota refund money any faster - go read the paypal procedure for chargebacks first - and know that if you raise and win a dispute, it might cost the seller a fee of - i believe $20 - to paypal.

like what others say, would be nice to get some update, even if its same..

most definitely !

@Falzo - as far as I recall opted out mainly because of the move to Hetzner ?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I myself have already set my deadline on a certain date. I have clearly posted this into my ticket where @AshleyUk told me that he is "now" installing my new VPS (which didn't happen so far). I haven't received any aswer so far. Should I still have nothing on that certain day, I might click on that dispute button in my PayPal account. I am patient, really. But not in an infinite manner.

• epaslvepaslv Member
    edited November 2017

I am not sure whats happening here but this is a great example of how not to run your business.

Suppliers who do this should be called out for offering services that they obviously cannot deliver.

• I'm sorry guys, but I really don't see the point of your rants here.

• Either you believe @AshleyUK is more doer than talker - as I still want to believe - and it would be good to have news from the already happy ones

• Or you should fight on another front.

If you want to talk about our - @AshleyUK and each one of us - trouble with that finally unstable CEPH, their forum would be much more adequate.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • Miky said: I'm sorry guys, but I really don't see the point of your rants here.

Sorry I don't agree, I think its helpful to speak out about the title of this thread even if its a "rant" . Its also constructive for @AshleyUK to learn more about client expectations

With the rest of your message, I can't make any sense about what you are trying to say.

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • @Miky said:
    I'm sorry guys, but I really don't see the point of your rants here.

When tickets are unanswered for a long period of time this is the best place to find out if others are having the same issue. It also shows we are tolerant of the situation and not jumping on paypal claims.

Did you cancel your service or have it moved?

• simlevsimlev Member
    edited November 2017

I'm happy to report my new VPS has just been delivered.

I'd like to assert my support to Ashley, I see him making an effort and handling the situation. It must be a cultural thing, but I have a hard time understanding those who open disputes, chargebacks, and lots of tickets: how's that supposed to help? There is no hint that Ashley ran away with your money! On the contrary, he is going through a huge amount of work that has to be done manually, so bugging him and creating more problems is not going to help anyone.

On the other hand, more communication would certainly be appreciated: I'm sure people could bear the wait if they saw an updated progress status, such as x% refunds processed and x% VPSs created.

Thanked by 3Miky svmo andreipoe
  • lurchlurch Member
    edited November 2017

That's good news. I only have 1 ticket open with 2 entries (which was only opened AFTER Ashleys final update) and like I said won't be making any claims etc.

• My ticket got automatically closed a few days ago, so I was worried it would not be acted upon.

I was then reassured by:

@AshleyUk said: Nobody is being forgotten

• simlevsimlev Member
    edited November 2017

At the moment, the VPS lacks ipv6 connectivity and the possibility to set custom rDNS records.
    I hope those will be added once more urgent matters are taken care of.

In the meantime, I thought I'd run a speedtest:

Testing from Hetzner Online GmbH
    Hosted by Spacken.net (Hagen) [141.07 km]: 10.715 ms
    Download: 513.40 Mbit/s
    Upload: 294.11 Mbit/s

• Just an update, my VM was created yesterday at Hetzner Falkenstein, and my ticket updated with Virtualizor credentials. WHMCS is not updated yet. No IPv6 yet.

I originally had the extra 1TB disk promo, but the new VM only had 1T instead of 2T. I asked Ashley in ticket, and he replied:

We are working on the extra 1TB and will have an
    update shortly for you once we can add it.

So that's good news for anyone else who had the 2T $96/3yr special.

I'd say, have patience, Ashley is working on a solution.
    If you want a refund, just ask him and be willing to wait for it -- don't chargeback; that's not cool. Anyone who had an urgent need for storage would have picked up a BF special from UltraVPS or HostHatch. Me, I'm willing to wait. At these prices, I only ever expected to use this as a second-level backup.

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • I just hope that the whole thing will be done with by end of January. I asked for a refund and Im completely ok to wait still. Sadly the paypal dispute time window only lasts until the 28th of January and Im not sure if I can let that day pass if I still dont know really what will be going on.

Not sure what Im supposed to do with it.

• @svmo said:

@Falzo - as far as I recall opted out mainly because of the move to Hetzner ?

yeah mainly that's the reason. nothing bad with hetzner, but I already have storage and servers there and don't need more of this location.

for the non-storage services I have in frankfurt I picked up non-temporary replacements after the network cutoff by 23media. That mail back then didn't sound like they would have been back a few days after, so I moved customer data and would like to see them pro-rata refunded too.

I do think the whole situation is quite unpredictable, so I am not going to move those (non-storage) services back in anyway. I am hoping for Ashley handling all the refund requests generously and in a timely manner.

Thanked by 1svmo