Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a problem with ZxHost? - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a problem with ZxHost?

Comments

• I just want to know, where is my data? fk

• @Falzo , while thanks for the updates, i really haven't gotten any emails from ash... i am not in a hurry as i have a cold storage with him and easily pushed again... it will be nice if he can start emailing status update by next week just to know if we can still use those offers for storage... anyway.... maybe i'll buy a 250GB space from you :)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Thanks @Falzo, I haven't received that email yet. That's big news if they intend to continue service at the old prices but on local RAID10 HDD; I don't know how sustainable that will be.

Glad they worked something out with 23media -- please don't deadpool, please don't deadpool....

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @fingon said:
    I just want to know, where is my data? fk

as he didn't write anything about trying to restore/rebuild/recover I'd think he finally gave up on it, but that's just my assumption. but that would also mean every data from ceph-storage is gone... can't tell if he might be able to at least bring the OS cluster back online for a short time. if he starts deploying raid10 storage as replacement that most probably means he needs place to put it on... so off the ceph goes.

ehab said: i really haven't gotten any emails from ash...

seanho said: I haven't received that email yet.

yeah, I also didn't get all mails before, hence I thought sharing it might help ;-)

ehab said: maybe i'll buy a 250GB space from you :)

haha, I am here to help, just let me know or just hand over your wallet :-P

Thanked by 1ehab
    • thanks for the update - Haven't recieved anything in the mail either other than the offer to have the LET Special continue on RAID at Hetzner.
    • Would be overjoyed to have it stay at 23media

@Falzo - Have you got your shiny new 2TB ?

• I didnt received the mail either... What is this?? Are we in different lists?

• svmo said: @Falzo - Have you got your shiny new 2TB ?

yeah, at least one... @UltraVPS is doing a great job. also just ordered the smaller 750G one for another purpose. still waiting on @SpeedyKVM_Ryan though, because I still want that 2TB special there too (only with BF discount ofc) :-)

• I've been getting some but not all of those email notifications, fwiw. Interesting to hear that OVH gave up on Ceph. Their cloud VPS page says they still use it, though it could be out of date: https://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-cloud.xml

• @Falzo said:

@fingon said:

as he didn't write anything about trying to restore/rebuild/recover I'd think he finally gave up on it, but that's just my assumption. but that would also mean every data from ceph-storage is gone... can't tell if he might be able to at least bring the OS cluster back online for a short time. if he starts deploying raid10 storage as replacement that most probably means he needs place to put it on... so off the ceph goes.

ehab said: i really haven't gotten any emails from ash...

seanho said: I haven't received that email yet.

yeah, I also didn't get all mails before, hence I thought sharing it might help ;-)

ehab said: maybe i'll buy a 250GB space from you :)

haha, I am here to help, just let me know or just hand over your wallet :-P

I m angry. i was backup 120g data to aws glacier but other 20gb had not backup yet.

I think i have to buy a new backup server for backup my backup server. maybe need one more to backup my backup backup server.

• fingon said: I think i have to buy a new backup server for backup my backup server. maybe need one more to backup my backup backup server.

Now your thinking like a systems admin.

• @Falzo said:

@fingon said:

Not to raise false hopes ...but ...
    If you read the "We have been shut down" mail verbatimly again - it does nowhere say anything about the ceph recovery failing and data being gone- just that their services with 23media had been taken offline - Apparently that did not mean all the servers had been shut down and repurposed ...

So guess we will just have to wait and see - one way or the other ...

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Falzo said:
    status update came in via mail:

That's odd. I received some of the previous mails but not this one.

Hoping that @AshleyUk might read this: I have created ticket #408705 and posted my information regarding the new VPS there. Unfortunately I cannot reply to the mail I didn't receive. If you can setup your infrastructure again with 23media and without CEPH - I'm in. And it could be the best of all BF news today. :)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @fingon said:...

>

I think i have to buy a new backup server for backup my backup server. maybe need one more to backup my backup backup server.

Well more than one is probably right - we should have learned the lesson by now.

Looks like @Falzo is trying to corner the market ... he may be setting up a subletting business ;-)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @svmo said:

@Falzo said:

@fingon said:

Not to raise false hopes ...but ...
    If you read the "We have been shut down" mail verbatimly again - it does nowhere say anything about the ceph recovery failing and data being gone- just that their services with 23media had been taken offline - Apparently that did not mean all the servers had been shut down and repurposed ...

So guess we will just have to wait and see - one way or the other ...

while I agree with that, I can tell that I don't see that network congestion/high latency on my non-storage anymore. to me this either means the ceph cluster has been given up and isn't rebuilding/working/doing anything at all for now or it has finished its rebuild - but for the latter most likely Ashley would have told so directly as this would've been perfectly good news to everyone.

• @dfroe said:

@Falzo said:

Hoping that @AshleyUk might read this: I have created ticket #408705 and posted my information regarding the new VPS there. Unfortunately I cannot reply to the mail I didn't receive. If you can setup your infrastructure again with 23media and without CEPH - I'm in. And it could be the best of all BF news today. :)

mail came from support-at-zxhost.co.uk so replying to that simply should open a ticket quoting that mail subject and content.

• @dfroe said:

@Falzo said:

Yeah .. there is obviously different mailing lists ... one of the things @AshleyUk might want
    to look into when he gets his head abowe water again ... guess he has been a bit too busy to fix that tiny detail ...

Given the circumstances ... well let's forgive him this once :-)
    (Applying Forum rule: DBAD )

• @svmo said: Yeah .. there is obviously different mailing lists

I suspect that it could also be product based mailing lists. Storage (CEPH) is one line, but regular VMs and RAID Storage are probably different lines and emails get sent only to (former?) customers of those products perhaps.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 2017

@nullnothere said:

@svmo said: Yeah .. there is obviously different mailing lists

I suspect that it could also be product based mailing lists. Storage (CEPH) is one line, but regular VMs and RAID Storage are probably different lines and emails get sent only to (former?) customers of those products perhaps.

or because of the amount of mails things get blocked/delayed/frozen randomly. I have old and new services, ceph and non-ceph, and also did not get all mails.

but after all that's why we're here #shareandcare #zxhostfaith

• @Falzo said: ...

>

... most likely Ashley would have told so directly as this would've been perfectly good news to everyone.

Well right now i would say we have established his communication skill ...

So might have wound up on a different list ...
    ... anyway he is obviously still swamped with tickets and other stuff

In the "We are shut down" mail he asked people to reply if they wanted their LET storage special to continue at Hetzner - I think it might be wise to anwer to that mail and state that you want to continue if it can be at 23media. - Not replying will likely be taken as a wish to bail out.

Replying to the mail as asked will make theese tickets easier to spot - than creating a new one.

• @Falzo said: I have old and new services, ceph and non-ceph, and also did not get all mails.

But you got the important ones :-)

You're clearly the storage hoarder and Ashley recognizes it.

• @nullnothere said:

@Falzo said: I have old and new services, ceph and non-ceph, and also did not get all mails.

Proposal to start a "Biggest Storage Hoarder on LET" Thread (providers excluded)

• Yeah I'm open to staying with non-ceph storage. Raid 6 is fine for storage that cheap. I'd still like to know whether the hardware at Telehouse is owned or rented.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @svmo said: Proposal to start a "Biggest Storage Hoarder on LET" Thread (providers excluded)

Hear hear.... the Exa-Peta-Tera-byte fest is coming.

Poster Poster on the LET Wall... who has the biggest storage pool of them all?

Thanked by 3WSS svmo imok
  • @nullnothere said:

@Falzo said: I have old and new services, ceph and non-ceph, and also did not get all mails.

haha, I sincerely do not get how you came to that conclusion...

but for real I have to admit I already asked Ashley after the telehouse cutoff mail to issue pro-rata'd refund on all of my services.

while I somewhat hoped for it, I did not really believed he'd get things sorted with 23media - to me that mail simply wasn't clear enough that he even would be working on that.

bad coincidence that BF was happening right now and plenty of offers are available.
    I also needed working (non-storage) services in frankfurt from the point those got affected by that shutdown. so I got replacements already set up and working - there was no more room to wait.

not complaining and really hoping that Ashley gets everything back in line. maybe if he manages to stabilize I am willing to start over especially for storage next year. ;-)

• @Falzo said: not complaining and really hoping that Ashley gets everything back in line.

Yes - everyone here wishes him the best (and it really wasn't his "fault" in any sense of the word). I think CEPH still has a ways to go before the confidence will return for this kind of hosting viability.

Hopefully there'll be some sustainable option that'll work for the majority of users.

• svmosvmo Member
    edited November 2017

@willie said:
    Yeah I'm open to staying with non-ceph storage. Raid 6 is fine for storage that cheap. I'd still like to know whether the hardware at Telehouse is owned or rented.

They offer the HP Servers Ashley mentions -so might well be rented.
    You can see what is offered for rent by them at their website. - No prices.

You can put an incredible amount of both memory and disks in these boxes.
    The thing is HP disks don't come cheap - And if you look at the prices Hetzner charges to put an extra disk in a dedi our storage deals would not be feasible.

But I guess 23media might have a deal with HP ... and Ashley clearly must have gotten a better deal than Hetzner's price list.

Anyway the storage servers are there, and ceph is not more space saving than RAID .. so economy should be very similar.

Given the above I could imagine the "beta" running at Hetzner? might be owned and colocated.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Falzo said:
    bad coincidence that BF was happening right now and plenty of offers are available.
    I also needed working (non-storage) services in frankfurt from the point those got affected by that shutdown. so I got replacements already set up and working - there was no more room to wait.

Well, there is at least a chance to cancel our UltraVPS storage if Ashley should be able to come back within 14 days. Thanks to German "Widerrufsrecht". :) According to their T&C they might bill a compensation ("Wertersatz") for the time the service was used but the cost of 14 days relative to a yearly contract should be negligible.

• @dfroe said:

@Falzo said:

Well, there is at least a chance to cancel our UltraVPS storage if Ashley should be able to come back within 14 days. Thanks to German "Widerrufsrecht". :) According to their T&C they might bill a compensation ("Wertersatz") for the time the service was used but the cost of 14 days relative to a yearly contract should be negligible.

agreed that this might be an option, but I am not even considering this...

I am pretty sure that I am gonna keep those UltraVPS storages for a long time. I consider them much more 'production ready' then any other storage offer from LET so far, so not neccessarily using them for second or third grade backups only ;-)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • svmosvmo Member
    edited November 2017

@dfroe said:

@Falzo said:

NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH STORAGE - come on idlers ;-) BF

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Never heard about the OVH movements, that's crazy if so.

Francisco