Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a problem with ZxHost? - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a problem with ZxHost?

Comments

• svmosvmo Member
    edited November 2017

@Shot2 said:
    Ah ok, so you interpret this line as "Paypal mischievously blocks payments to our German provider, to whom we had promised money (a promise? would it hold in court?) but fortunately Paypal agreed not to block that money we intend to refund to you, our beloved customer"

Makes sense.

No I simply interpret it as Paypal is sitting on our funds - destined for our provider so the transaction we had scheduled did not go through .... they have taken our money as security against the chargebacks they have recieved and any future chargebacks they might get ...

• Yep, what I said - "Our funds are blocked [for whatever reason], my company is bankrupt coz all my money was there and is thus blocked, ergo customers who expected refunds are screwwdd, vewwy sowwy"

• @Shot2 said:
    Yep, what I said - "Our funds are blocked [for whatever reason], my company is bankrupt coz all my money was there and is thus blocked, ergo customers who expected refunds are screwwdd, vewwy sowwy"

Not specifically. Eventually, PayPal will release the funds, but Ashley will still likely be fucked over hard.

LET is why we can't have nice things.

• WSS said: LET is why we can't have nice things.

No, that was incident management after all. If you fuck it up hard (and customers don't care if it's ceph or whatever) and don't inform people that's what happens. I've been preaching over and over in this thread that not receiving information is making you mad. I certainly didn't issue a dispute and think that is not the right thing to do, but what every hoster can learn from the results is KEEP YOUR CUSTOMERS INFORMED or they will go nuts. Second lesson however is, that many of you must be dangerously dependent on Paypal, which is really worrisome.

And yes, that means sending all not just some customers at least once a day some "we are still on it, this is currently happening, that will be the next action" message and also post the status somewhere. Even if it's bullshit, it will keep people calm and faithful.

Having that said I still feel terribly sorry for @AshleyUK and all the faithful people, who lost their data due to some cunts issuing paypal disputes.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @chrisp said:
    And yes, that means sending all not just some customers at least once a day some "we are still on it, this is currently happening, that will be the next action" message and also post the status somewhere. Even if it's bullshit, it will keep people calm and faithful.

When the building is burning, jerking off the folks who pay almost enough to make up for being annoyances is probably not in too many people's top ten.

You can bitch all you want, but he did provide nearly-daily updates (even if fairly useless to anyone with a technical background- who should have known his deals were razor-thin at best), which is a hell of a lot more than other hosts here have done, and they haven't deadpooled for whatever reason.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • chrispchrisp Member
    edited November 2017

You consistently see people in this thread telling they did not receive any updates or sometimes just some updates. And again, it doesn't matter what is the content of the email/update, it's just incredibly important to inform people. Sorry if you can't see the importance of it, but I hope hosters get the message.

I'm not yelling at someone here and I certainly don't mean to insult Ashley with that. It's just a fact that people loose faith if they see their money and service go down the drain and unfortunately for all the others, those assholes will issue a dispute at Paypal, because it's possible.

Let's really take this as a lessons learned for every host, because this certainly could happen to everyone (imagine an outage at cociu, would be the same story)

Thanked by 3Falzo WSS svmo
  • Long story short: Make sure you have an external-network status page and make sure it's on every fucking correspondence sent. Tattoo it on your forehead if necessary.

Thanked by 2chrisp svmo
  • I did not understand.

VPS will be online? With the data?

Or the data is lost, and they will pay back?

Thank you for explaining me because I have not received an email from ZxHost.

• @chrisp said:

(imagine an outage at cociu, would be the same story)

Nope; in such a case the daily updates would contain ten times as many spelling mistakes.

/throwstonesatmeplease

• GolbinexGolbinex Member
    edited November 2017

@comeback said:
    I did not understand.

VPS will be online? With the data?

Or the data is lost, and they will pay back?

Thank you for explaining me because I have not received an email from ZxHost.

No, all data lost and money probably too because this hosting probably isn't going to last for long, this incident will be major damage to zxhost reputation.

• Guess I shouldn't have spent the extra $90USD for the SeaFile license to go with the 2TB storage space.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Enough of the rumors! Has anything been confirmed about any data loss? Nope just a software bug which he has been trying to contact the right people to help out and resolve the issue. Nothing more than that. @ashleyuk If you need a hand handling tickets or whatever just let me know.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    Enough of the rumors! Has anything been confirmed about any data loss? Nope just a software bug which he has been trying to contact the right people to help out and resolve the issue. Nothing more than that. @ashleyuk If you need a hand handling tickets or whatever just let me know.

Their paypal is limited they can't pay their provider who have turned off their equipment so how would we get our data back?

lurch said: Their paypal is limited they can't pay their provider who have turned off their equipment so how would we get our data back?

Please point me in the direction where he exactly said that? I have read the thread numerous amount of times and do not see anything about the datacenter shutting him down for not paying his bills. Of course i want to clarify.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 2017

@PieNotEvenEaten: last page @rdes stated at 2:18pm (CET)

@rdes said:
    Damn... I am curious if cashflow was not a problem from the beginning.

We come with a difficult but important update to our services.

After our recent full CEPH Thursday 16/11/2017 resulting in 90% of our customer base being unavailable we have been working with CEPH Dev's to try and resolve and bring the Cluster backonline, however due to the complexity of CEPH and the point at which the BUG effected the operation of CEPH this has resulted in a slow process with many issues encountered along the way.

Due to the large amount of PayPal Disputes we received from certain client's this caused our PayPal account to be limited and unable to make payments we had promised, we have been working with our provider on this, however they have took the decision due to this and the delay with bringing our CEPH Cluster back online they have taken the decision to take our environment offline.

This effects all services hosted @ Telehouse Frankfurt but not the small amount of LET Specials that had not been migrated from Hetzner yet at this time.

We have been asked by some customers if they can have a service re-instated on this environment, we have a limited amount of availability on our Hetzner servers if you do wish for a new VM to be created with the following specifications to continue your LET Special service.

1TB Local Raid Storage
    1 CPU Core
    2GB RAM
    2TB Outgoing
    Unmetered Incoming

If so please do let us know your required OS by replying to this email, if we do not hear from you we will work to start processing pro-rota refund's as and when possible.

this time I also got that mail, so maybe you want to look in your inbox again? ;-)

(edit: wrong quote)

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • If those 3 year deals were done with rented rather than owned hdd's, then yeah, where we are right now was inevitable. If they're owned then maybe there's some chance of restoring the data sometime, though probably not soon.

Leaving more funds on deposit with paypal than the minimum necessary seems like a real bad idea for anyone at any time.

@falzo Well i shot myself in the foot! I just re read the whole thread again and found the post about paypal. Also thanks for clarifying it. Well i guess shit happens!

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @PieNotEvenEaten said:

lurch said: Their paypal is limited they can't pay their provider who have turned off their equipment so how would we get our data back?

Please point me in the direction where he exactly said that? I have read the thread numerous amount of times and do not see anything about the datacenter shutting him down for not paying his bills. Of course i want to clarify.

Due to the large amount of PayPal Disputes we received from certain client's this caused our PayPal account to be limited and unable to make payments we had promised, we have been working with our provider on this, however they have took the decision due to this and the delay with bringing our CEPH Cluster back online they have taken the decision to take our environment offline.

He mentions payments not refunds and that due to this (and the delay with bringing the cluster back online) the provider has taken the environment offline. That's how i read it but happy to be corrected.

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Being overly positive is one way to deal with it.

• @deank said:
    Being overly positive is one way to deal with it.

Well, one part of them..

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 2017

the storage deals of @UltraVPS are available now, 2TB at 10€ (8,40€ without VAT), 6-month term or 750GB at 4€ (3,36€ without VAT) on yearly term: https://www.ultravps.eu/en/?pdid=OB595E46555DO6331C64 (affiliate, might give further discount for 6 months, new customers only, but don't know if that applies to those special offers as well)

just ordered the 2TB, will post benchmarks after it becomes available. thinking about another 750G too, damn storage deals ;-)

• @Falzo said:

slow down, maybe you don't need all this space? do you?

• @ehab said:

@Falzo said:

slow down, maybe you don't need all this space? do you?

most likely not... did I already tag @SpeedyKVM_Ryan for a 30% off coupon yet? ;-) ;-)

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Falzo said:
    just ordered the 2TB, will post benchmarks after it becomes available. thinking about another 750G too, damn storage deals ;-)

Looking forward to see them, especially compared to the one from HostHatch. Maybe that will give me a trigger to decide. :) And no, I do not need redundant backups of my personal data in 4 datacenters; 3 are enough for me - I am not paranoid. :)

• @dfroe said:

@Falzo said:

Looking forward to see them, especially compared to the one from HostHatch. Maybe that will give me a trigger to decide. :) And no, I do not need redundant backups of my personal data in 4 datacenters; 3 are enough for me - I am not paranoid. :)

I got a payment link after a few minutes which I followed and authorized a payment with paypal, but they are validating orders manually, so it might be that I'll have to wait till tomorrow, it's already 10pm here, so most likely nobody going to review/provision just now ;-)

• during all the blackfriday stuff want to push a small update! my non-storage services just came back online. from uptime I can tell the servers haven't been down, just the network was cut off.

so for the moment it just looks like Ashley has been able to sort things out with telehouse/23media to at least get back online for whatever time period and that should bring back some hope for people wanting/needing their data (at least from non-storage services).

also there could be hope that he'll be able to at least bring the os-ceph-only VMs back online for a short time?

watch out for mails, so far I didn't get any further direct status update, it was just my monitoring that made me notice...

Thanked by 1svmo
  • @Falzo Lucky you :-) No movement around mine, at least so far.

• @Miky said:
    @Falzo Lucky you :-) No movement around mine, at least so far.

yeah, my storage VMs are still down too, of course but that's not unexpected anyway and I don't neccessarily need access to them at all after what happened.

so as said, just wanted to point out that there still might be hope for others waiting, as it seems that at least the upstream provider/payment issue could be resolved for the moment.

• @Falzo said:

Well - if Ashley could at least resume some business out of there it would be great ...
    ... fingers crossed

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • status update came in via mail:

Thanked by 3svmo ehab dfroe