Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a problem with ZxHost? - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a problem with ZxHost?

Comments

• that's troubling news. I admit I didn't thought about the impatient ones hitting dispute and bringing him into trouble paying his bills. so I finally have to agree with those asking for updates earlier - he should have taken more care about the mails reaching recipients or updating status pages and tickets if everything else failed, just to avoid that exact situation.

yet I would also have thought of him not being depending that much on the incoming (or accounted) paypal money that much - at least the storage deals had been prepaid anyway. I would expect a provider to have some reserves in case of an incident.

if not, he should have cut the whole storage thing earlier and declared data as lost.

after all every criticism about the offer being unsustainable sadly finally came true. bad that it now affects all non-storage services too :(

I think no one that took on that cheapest offer should really complain anyway (that includes me ofc).

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited November 2017

Going to limit what I say here as currently working my way through all the ticket's in the system, however I again apologise deeply for the effect this has had on everyone.

However I want to clarify this is not of any fault of our upstream provider, and they have provided plenty of extra support, specially over the last week with the CEPH Issue and the issue we have had with the environment over the past few months, and have been supportive.

Sadly the CEPH Cluster outage hit at the worst time possible, will take some time while I work my way through the list of ticket's incoming, however nobody will be left unanswered.

• GustafRiemannGustafRiemann Member
    edited November 2017

Thank you for your reply.

You have my trust.

Just move on please.

@AshleyUk said:
    Going to limit what I say here as currently working my way through all the ticket's in the system, however I again apologise deeply for the effect this has had on everyone.

However I want to clarify this is not of any fault of our upstream provider, and they have provided plenty of extra support, specially over the last week with the CEPH Issue and the issue we have had with the environment over the past few months, and have been supportive.

Sadly the CEPH Cluster outage hit at the worst time possible, will take some time while I work my way through the list of ticket's incoming, however nobody will be left unanswered.

• I didn't think about all the paypal disputes as I for one had no intention of opening one as you had made the situation clear.

Wouldn't surprise me if people are now trying to reclaim their full payment even if they only have like 1 month of service left? Hope paypal helps you work through it and doesn't affect any personal pp accounts you have.

• Thank you. I will keep trusting on you instead of refund. I already opened the ticket for that purpose.

@AshleyUk said:

• Shocking that Paypal can take a business down this way .... !

I have just replied - and asked for a new machine to be provisioned.
    Still see absolutely no reason to go elsewhere. 1TB local RAID and 2G RAM - perfect.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

lurch said: I didn't think about all the paypal disputes as I for one had no intention of opening one as you had made the situation clear.

Same here.

Last update I had said they were still looking at options so see what's said next... :)

• So all my data is gone?

• rdesrdes Member
    edited November 2017

@Mr_Tom said:

lurch said: I didn't think about all the paypal disputes as I for one had no intention of opening one as you had made the situation clear.

Same here.

Last update I had said they were still looking at options so see what's said next... :)

I also did not think about opening dispute, but when provider first tells me on 20.11 that they're booting VMs and everything should back online shortly, and after few days it turns outs that's not true it's a little different situation and I'm not surprised that people want refund.

• @lion said:

@fingon said:
    All my data lost??????!!!!!!!

Yes!!!!!
    @Mr_Tom said:

@fingon said:
    All my data lost??????!!!!!!!

That's not actually been said...

I didn't open dispute yet, I hope my data will not be lost.
    It's important, damn...

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@svmo said:
    I have just replied - and asked for a new machine to be provisioned.
    Still see absolutely no reason to go elsewhere. 1TB local RAID and 2G RAM - perfect.

If it just wasn't Hetzner. Depending on your local provider the network connectivity can be a problem. For example throughput to German Telekom - which is currently taking a detour from Frankfurt via TATA Paris due to Double-Paid traffic issues - is sometimes only 1-2 MB/s.

If it wasn't Hetzner, I'd still put my eggs into Ashley's basket. But I guess I'll rather choose one of the upcoming BF offers from UltraVPS or HostHatch instead because of their better datacenter connectivity (in my case).

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • LOL! I was the one to first call it. The dreadful email finally arrived this morning. All data lost!

Here are my two cents on the matter. I believe 23media knew that there was no way out, the data was gone and blaming billing instead of manning up was the route they opted for.

• i don't remember those data on zx which was not backup..

• I would just like to specially THANK Nick and his team at Hudson Valley Host (Hosting from HELL) for screwing me up royally about 5 months ago that I learned a very valuable lesson. Now I keep multiple copies of my backup all around just in case SHIT like this happens.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited November 2017

If I get it right, it means that 1/ data is lost (couldn't care less) and 2/ no refund is to expect from ZXHost to us poor Paypal buyers?

Well, 96 bucks for 3 months of struggling IOPS wasn't such a good deal after all...

/dramaqueen

• svmosvmo Member
    edited November 2017

@Shot2 said:
    If I get it right, it means that 1/ data is lost (couldn't care less) and 2/ no refund is to expect from ZXHost to us poor Paypal buyers?

Well, 96 bucks for 3 months of struggling IOPS wasn't such a good deal after all...

/dramaqueen

Where does it say you will not be compensated ...

The mail I got:

_We have been asked by some customers if they can have a service re-instated on this >environment, we have a limited amount of availability on our Hetzner servers if you do wish for a >new VM to be created with the following specifications to continue your LET Special service.

>

1TB Local Raid Storage
    1 CPU Core
    2GB RAM
    2TB Outgoing
    Unmetered Incoming

>

If so please do let us know your required OS by replying to this email, if we do not hear from
    you we will work to start processing pro-rota refund's as and when possible

>

emphasis is mine ...
    _

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Shot2 said:
    no refund is to expect from ZXHost to us poor Paypal buyers?

From where do you have this information?
    Let me quote from Ashley's last mail:

if we do not hear from you we will work to start processing pro-rota refund's as and when possible.

I just guess Ashley had other priorities during the last days than processing paypal refunds.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

In general, processing refund is the last thing anyone bothers.

• @a3Bren said:
    i don't remember those data on zx which was not backup..

I do, because he not only provided cheap storage out of that location. sadly everything else is now gone too and I honestly doubt that chances are high for all of it to ever come back (esp. in a timely manner)...

as @dfroe already said I am not interested in any more hetzner services too, so going to grab an alternative and restoring whats needed.

• If their Paypal is f'd up, and they have zero money somewhere elsee to pay their bills... and cannot process outgoing payments thru Paypal... how are they to refund PP customeers ????

• "as possible" "when possible", I smell a bozo - that's all...

/dramaqueen

• Dang well that wen't to hell. Sorry to hear about the issues @AshleyUk. Had no data on the server yet, so nothing lost.

I get people are upset but doing a dispute helps no-one, all of us who paid by paypal end up messed up (including myself).

Thanked by 1svmo
  • I just want to know that Do I have any chance to get my data back...

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2017

@fingon said:
    I just want to know that Do I have any chance to get my data back...

Hate to break it to you but..
    If your storage instance has been in the affected datacenter of the host that shut their Services down chances are you are not gonna get any data back. Assume it IS LOST.

• @fingon said:
    I just want to know that Do I have any chance to get my data back...

Not at all!

• @Shot2 said:
    If their Paypal is f'd up, and they have zero money somewhere elsee to pay their bills... and cannot process outgoing payments thru Paypal... how are they to refund PP customeers ????

/dramaqueen

Go read the other thread on "A PayPal story" on this forum - and you will see that paypal might actually be sitting on a bunch of cash larger than the disputed amount ...

Anyway nothing you can do about it other than letting it play out in good order ...
    ... "As possible" and "When possible" is simply the harsh realities of the situation zxhost finds itself in.

• @tarasis said:
    I get people are upset but doing a dispute helps no-one,

so true

all of us who paid by paypal end up messed up (including myself).

In what way are you worse of having paid by paypal than if you had prepaid by other means ?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

From my experience of having observed countless host meltdowns which are often eerily similar to this one, your chance of getting your (non-corrupted) data back is about 5%.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited November 2017

@svmo said:

@Shot2 said:
    If their Paypal is f'd up, and they have zero money somewhere elsee to pay their bills... and cannot process outgoing payments thru Paypal... how are they to refund PP customeers ????

/dramaqueen

Go read the other thread on "A PayPal story" on this forum - and you will see that paypal might actually be sitting on a bunch of cash larger than the disputed amount ...

Anyway nothing you can do about it other than letting it play out in good order ...
    ... "As possible" and "When possible" is simply the harsh realities of the situation zxhost finds itself in.

I don't care about PayPal's wealth or deeds - I don't even care about my data (backup of a backup) or a hundred bucks. I'm just saying that the line "Paypal blocked our account for xyz reason - Our Paypal account was our only way to make some emergency payment in order not to lose servers data etc - Sorry folks, unless sth happens you are all screwed with your 3 years' payment - But cheer up I'm screwed too coz my Paypal business account is locked" ... sounds, hmm, weird. Or bad management. Perhaps that's the rule with UK companies, or with one-man-hosts, or... I don't know.

• @Shot2 said:

Unless you recieved a different mail than me ... please be correct when you quote

mine said:

"Due to the large amount of PayPal Disputes we received from certain client's this caused our PayPal account to be limited and unable to make payments we had promised"

• Ah ok, so you interpret this line as "Paypal mischievously blocks payments to our German provider, to whom we had promised money (a promise? would it hold in court?) but fortunately Paypal agreed not to block that money we intend to refund to you, our beloved customer"

Makes sense.

Thanked by 1WSS