Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server starting at 2.99 EUR / month - Page 93
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server starting at 2.99 EUR / month

Comments

• xsetxset Member
    edited August 2013

News from OVH!

EG / MG
    Delivery is returning to normal (1 hour) early next week

HG:
    Delivery is returning to normal (1 hour) middle of next week

FS:
    Delivery is returning to normal (1 hour) middle of next week

SP:
    MSP and SP orders and stop RBX-SBG-data centers of tomorrow:
    - SP RBX-datacenter => from tomorrow the order is no longer possible (switch upgrade, orders will be back in September). Delivery is returning to normal 10-14 days.
    - SP SBG-datacenter => from tomorrow the order is no longer possible (no more space, orders will be accepted SBG2 at the end of the year).
    - SP Max is available in the RBX / SBG-server centers => still available
    - SP GRA datacenter => Delivery is returning to normal (1 hour) next week. New orders will be delivered to the GRA server center

• xsetxset Member

Regarding mSP with 100 Mbps:

Oles
    @olesovhcom
    @KloudberryLtd we don't deliver the servers with 100M any more. We are working to deliver all orders in 10-14 days.

• DeorDeor Member

My KS-16 with RAID arrived today, 2 weeks to the day after ordering.

• DeorDeor Member

Also, is there a Minstall or LowEndScript type thing for Debian 7?

• @Deor said:
    Also, is there a Minstall or LowEndScript type thing for Debian 7?

My version of lowendscript, now working with Debian 7 is at
    https://github.com/Keith2/lowendscript-ng

• wroxwrox Member

@Deor With what CPU?

• Darn, this really sucks to see all these Kimsufis going and not being able to get them. Need a backup server now too.....

Guarantee that they will run out of space or raise prices, before they open to other customers, besides EU.

• @NateN34 they have a brand new huge empty data center where they can put hundreds of thousands of servers. They won't run out of space anytime soon, at least not in this new data center. They would rather run out of advertising money first, which would still mean that the 3EUR/month offer would end.

• Got my 16G with RAID too :)

• tuxtux Member

@rds100 said:
    They would rather run out of advertising money first, which would still mean that the 3EUR/month offer would end.

This offer end very soon. They upgrade prices during September due DDoS filtering.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@tux said:
    This offer end very soon. They upgrade prices during September due DDoS filtering.

Since new stock will only be released in september, I suppose it already ended, however, even 4 Eur is too low. OVH raised a lot of money so running out of advertising money is probably not gonna happen soon.

• DeorDeor Member
    edited August 2013

@wrox said:
    Deor With what CPU?

processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 58
    model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 V2 @ 3.20GHz
    stepping : 9
    microcode : 0x16
    cpu MHz : 3201.000
    cache size : 8192 KB

Quad core Xeon, i can live with that :)

• wroxwrox Member
    edited August 2013

@Deor Thank you! I can too, with mine - definitely a keeper ;-)

@Steve What CPU did you get?

• @wrox i5-2400. Not as good as the Xeon... but still no complaints!

• c0yc0y Member

@Maounique said:

Because they clearly don't make profit doesn't mean they make a loss...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2013

however, even 4 Eur is too low.

4 EUR is too low, and 10 EUR which was their normal pricing with worldwide orderability of unlimited number of servers per one person was not too low?... Also considering they have a DC to fill, and have cut some costs in routing (no more failover IPs) and support (now forum only). They may be not making a huge profit on these servers, but it's not a dire loss and a pure advertising budget either.

• ztecztec Member

It's not even allowed to sell something for a loss in The Netherlands, I doubt it's legal in France.

• Everyday I wake up, brush my teeth, make coffee. Check my email and there still isn't my cute 3euro server. I ask myself the same question everyday "Where are you, server?" :^(

Thanked by 2netomx William
  • @rm_ 10 EUR might be low, but it's more realistic, in terms of ROI, etc. I am sure they can make profit at 10EUR, considering their massive scale.

• xsetxset Member

@kupol You're gonna have to wait a month. Perhaps better that you forget it for a while and drink your coffee in peace

• So having ordered by Paypal in late July, having that cancelled arbitrarily, and re-ordering in early August via CC (order number 218xxxxxx), it looks like I'll see nothing until September.

So does my next bill come 3 months after my order, or 3 months after I actually get the server? €3/month is very cheap for a server, but it's quite expensive for a nothing :-)

• @ztec said:
    It's not even allowed to sell something for a loss in The Netherlands, I doubt it's legal in France.

OVH still own the hardware, so they haven't sold it. Your just leasing it.

• DeorDeor Member

@squibs said:
    So does my next bill come 3 months after my order, or 3 months after I actually get the server? €3/month is very cheap for a server, but it's quite expensive for a nothing :-)

3 months after you get the server mate, dont worry.

• ztecztec Member

@Maller said:

That's irrelevant.

• .> @ztec said:

1. it is perfectly legal and common practice in many places, it's called a loss leader, sold at a loss to attract the customers in the hope they will buy something profitable at some point.

2. As has been said, they are not selling the servers but leasing them, which is relevant as they are not 'selling for a loss',

• @ztec said:
    That's irrelevant.

It's relevant if you consider that you're just paying for a service, to use their hardware, and some bandwidth. Unless bandwidth and power is too expensive, where's the loss coming in?

• I'm actually curious about the law saying your can't sell something with a loss, can you provide a link ?
    Where I com from it's quite normal to sell something with a loss. etc when stores have a crazy sale, they sell something with a loss, but most customers leave with something else also, making it into profit.

• Is it possible for the European customers to let go of their KS server to non-European ? if its possible (please contact me) I'm willing to buy a 16G KS. I'm sick of waiting for them to allow the Non-EU.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Maller said:
    I'm actually curious about the law saying your can't sell something with a loss, can you provide a link ?
    Where I com from it's quite normal to sell something with a loss. etc when stores have a crazy sale, they sell something with a loss, but most customers leave with something else also, making it into profit.

I believe everyone is referring to the EU Unfair Commercial Practices Directive (please correct me if I'm wrong). It doesn't prohibit selling at a loss specifically, as far as I know, but it does prohibit unfair practices - for example, a large company using their cash reserves to products sell at a gigantic loss in order to put competitors out of business.

If you want to read the (incredibly dry) directive in full, you can do so here .

• ztecztec Member

@joelgm said:
    It's relevant if you consider that you're just paying for a service, to use their hardware, and some bandwidth. Unless bandwidth and power is too expensive, where's the loss coming in?

I wasn't the one claiming that they sold at a loss, sir. I defended the fact that they probably didn't sell at a loss because it's probably not even legal.

@villageidiot said:
    .> ztec said:

Is that coming from European laws? I know it's legal in the USA.

This discussion has been closed.