Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server starting at 2.99 EUR / month - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server starting at 2.99 EUR / month

Comments

• finlandvpsfinlandvps Member
    edited July 2013

It is a general agreement, same for all dedicated servers. There is a statement that one can order 2 servers per month, otherwise you have to prepay for whole year in advance. But I dont think they enforce it, unless they ran out of stock, I think.

• talsittalsit Member

@finlandvps I want the KS2G for backups, if I get the mini-SP I don't really need the KS16. If they don't let me cancel the KS16 though it'll be alright, the KS16 is probably about all I need.

• @talsit mini-sp is double the price, but with double the RAM, HDD (2x2TB).. plus if you get two mini-sps you can do failover between the two.

• talsittalsit Member

@finlandvps true on the failover, but I'll probably never actually put anything for public use on them. I was looking to colocate my own 1U server for my own use, colocation is more expensive than the mini-SP.

• @talsit http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E3-1245V2-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3570S Not a big difference between the CPUs between KS16G and mini-sp... do you want to pay double price for double memory, and hdd? or get two KS16Gs...

Thanked by 1talsit
  • @talsit colocation own hw is nice when you need a specific custom setup, like a cluster of servers. but hw ages out quickly, it's easier to rent and switch hw every second year or so.

Thanked by 1Makenai
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@finlandvps said:
    talsit colocation own hw is nice when you need a specific custom setup, like a cluster of servers. but hw ages out quickly, it's easier to rent and switch hw every second year or so.

Amen to that, however, there are cases when this is not true, for example when you colo SH hardware as I do. In most cases you can buy it very cheap, most are power hogs, so it depends on the price per power, but you can usually get a good deal, for example I colo 1U with 2xXeon, 2x1 TB drives, 5 TB at 1 gbps, 350 W, 5 IPv4 at 26 Eur.
    HW itself was some 200 Eur, but at that time these KS with i5 were not at 20 Eur and OVH does not sell to me (or didnt in the past).

They are very aggressive on the market and a few colo/dedi providers will go out of business, but there will always be the need for other locations, setups, support schemes, network mix, etc.

Eventually OVH will be able to cover almost everything of those, but we are not there yet. I suppose Hetzner/Burstnet will be the hardest hit in the first phase since they are using the same tactics to keep customers away, they will either need to become more flexible or go out of business. Unfortunately, even if they become more flexible and take only the customers OVH throws away, they wont be able to survive on that only, will have to become more competitive too.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

this 2.99 they can cram so many such servers in such a small space right?

• talsittalsit Member

@finlandvps good point, I doubt I'll need the full power of the KS16G so the mini-SP would probably be the better option.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

I am 100% sure they lose money on that.
    No matter how many discounts they got on HW, they still need at least 4 months of renting to pay for the HDD only, then the mobo and cpu some 3 months, custom racks and all at least a few months too, then will come power and traffic, no matter how cheap, they should be still more than 3 Eur, then there is the extra fixed cost, lighting, heat dissipation, wages for cleaners and maintenance of the DC equipment, taxes (this is France we are talking about), payment processor fees, hardware replacements (not only the hardware, but the people time to do it, government surveillance costs (storing logs, equipment for access, wages of people which have to keep in touch and track of all the requests for data, for example), other costs with maintaining links between DCs, interest on capital, so on and so forth, while most of those are small costs, they do add up and are weighted against 3 Eur.

You can see they lose money from this, lots of money, also, when they will either stop restocking or increase prices back, all the good publicity will turn into bad publicity, it would be worse than if they didnt do it in the first place.

Overall, I see what they try to do, but I doubt they will succeed.

• talsittalsit Member

@talsit said:
    finlandvps good point, I doubt I'll need the full power of the KS16G so the mini-SP would probably be the better option.

Err, so the mini-SP is probably overkill... lol.

• awsonawson Member

Still waiting for order confirmation, does it usually take this long for new customers?

• talsittalsit Member

@awson they are probably swamped, my first OVH server took a couple of days with all of the id verification. Second server took about 20 minutes. Been waiting about 8 hours for this one but, according to the tracking on the invoice, hardware has been assigned and the next step is the OS install.

• seikanseikan Member

Managed to order one to test. Waiting for confirmation email now.

• WoopWoop Member

@Maounique said:
    No matter how many discounts they got on HW, they still need at least 4 months of renting to pay for the HDD only, then the mobo and cpu some 3 months, custom racks and all at least a few months too, then will come power and traffic, no matter how cheap, they should be still more than 3 Eur, then there is the extra fixed cost, lighting, heat dissipation, wages for cleaners and maintenance of the DC equipment, taxes (this is France we are talking about), payment processor fees, hardware replacements (not only the hardware, but the people time to do it, government surveillance costs (storing logs, equipment for access, wages of people which have to keep in touch and track of all the requests for data, for example), other costs with maintaining links between DCs, interest on capital, so on and so forth, while most of those are small costs, they do add up and are weighted against 3 Eur.

You can see they lose money from this, lots of money, also, when they will either stop restocking or increase prices back, all the good publicity will turn into bad publicity, it would be worse than if they didnt do it in the first place.

Your missing out on the point here. They probably spent millions on setting up this new datacenter. Rather than having it sit around at 5% capacity for a couple of years, it would make more sense to fill it up and get as many paying customers as possible. It's the same concept how liquidators and how large retail stores do big sales.

Sure they might not make as much as they paid for the original product, but it's far better getting some money back than nothing at all.

OVH will probably find that most of the people that do get Kimsufi boxes, I imagine a large percentage of clients would probably cancel in the first year as they are doing what most people are doing here, and just getting one to try it out since it's so cheap.

Another factor to consider, is that OVH probably sells off it's old gear after 2 years and makes back a small return on that so by the time they upgrade to new equipment they will be in the green, maybe only a small amount, but if you multiply that by 10,000 or however many servers they have, it ends up being a nice chunk of change :)

• @Maounique said:

Maybe they are trying to get more market share, some companies do this as once they get the customers through the door, then they can sell them other (higher value) products, and they also have an empty datacentre to fill. Secondly, many of the people will have a good experience and will recommend OVH to others and even if they cancel this KS server, they will also be more likely to buy from them in the future. Over time, the small VPS provider will get squeezed out the market, like we see on the high street with stores going bankrupt and internet sellers picking up the orders, we will see LEB providers going out of the business and OVH, and other data centres, dealing directly with LEB clients!

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited July 2013

@talsit said:
    according to the tracking on the invoice, hardware has been assigned and the next step is the OS install.

-How does one use the tracking system? I have an invoice, but didnt know there was tracking.-

Edit: NVM. Found it.

Others: It's at Manager>Administration>Invoices>Operations in progress

• talsittalsit Member

Login to the manager, select administration then invoices, then orders in progress.

• Oh my God! I think I will order one~

• jcalebjcaleb Member

I am excited. How long does it take to get it?

• talsittalsit Member

@jcaleb said:
    I am excited. How long does it take to get it?

Are you an existing OVH customer? If I remember correctly, ID verification took a business day on my first server with them, then it went pretty quickly.

I bet they are swamped right now though, may take a day or two.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

not existing. Will they email me to send ID ? I just got the payment confirmation

We confirm the receipt of your payment corresponding to
    order numbe

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Is it easy to reinstall OS? Or need to ticket with them?

• All automated, its pretty nifty

• talsittalsit Member

@jcaleb yes, it was pretty painless as I remember.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

@jcaleb - it's been answered before and says so on the OVH page! This DEAL should be posted by Liam/Humza/... on LEB.com to increase awareness and as LEA would have posted it in the past!

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@asterisk14 said:
    jcaleb - and says so on the OVH page!

could you kindly point it?

• @jcaleb said:
    could you kindly point it?

See page 2 of this thread, Ishaq's reply!

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • stop asking when your dedi will be provisioned. On the orders page they change it to from "29th/July" onwards. Worse case scenario is you will only get your server(s) from 29th July onwards. So be patient.

This discussion has been closed.