Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server starting at 2.99 EUR / month - Page 82
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server starting at 2.99 EUR / month

Comments

• linuxglobelinuxglobe Member
    edited August 2013

But my payment will be refunded, or I must pay with CC once more, so i pay it for two times?

• xsetxset Member

@linuxglobe It should already be refunded.

• Ok, thank you, xset!

• udkudk Member

Yay, finally got it last night. Different server than waas previously listed in the domain bit.

It was paid with paypal on 25th.

• blueblue Member

Looks like the 25th servers are coming in. I've ordered on the 25th, 10pm.

Hopefully I'll finally get it in the next couple of days.

• @rm_ said:
    Also since when "vanilla OpenVPN" uses protocol 50? Last time I checked it worked over plain TCP or UDP.

Sorry if I was not clear (no native speaker here)

I need both: OpenVPN and IPSec. OpenVPN indeed consists of UDP or TCP traffic. IPSec, on the other hand, relies on protocols 50/51 packets - which are not UDP or TCP or ICMP or GRE (only these few last protocols being not filtered by their pre-firewall, cf. OVH site).

I'm simply afraid their new DoS mitigation thing, while analysing traffic, detects a continuous stream of such "exotic" packets and takes whatever measure it deems appropriate, thus hampering or blocking legit IPSec tunnels.

Sure, right now it might prove difficult to find firsthand evidence about the inner workings of the new anti-DDoS system - for few people to date have one of these new servers, and (probably) even fewer people worry about vpn and the such.

• IIRC IPSec should be able to work over UDP if the other protocols are filtered / non working (the so called NAT traversal).

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Shot2 said:
    Sure, right now it might prove difficult to find firsthand evidence about the inner workings of the new anti-DDoS system - for few people to date have one of these new servers, and (probably) even fewer people worry about vpn and the such.

I've just installed OpenVPN-AS so a friend of mine can watch French TV shows. Will let you know whether anything goes wrong.

• xsetxset Member

got the second KS4G (N2800) delivered. It took 2 days.

• Still none for me :( Ordered on the 31. from within the EU, and with creditcard.

• 2g
    order id: 21470003
    i pay 2013-07-25 20:27:03
    i am from eu,lithuania
    server not delivered

• xsetxset Member

Hey, can someone try and create a HARDWARE support ticket from Ovh control panel for Kimsufi server? It doesn't let me choose the server from the dropdown menu, thus i cant even file a ticket for hardware fault?

• @xset maybe if it's pingable they assume the hardware is OK. And there is also their monitoring daemon running on the server.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said:
    xset maybe if it's pingable they assume the hardware is OK. And there is also their monitoring daemon running on the server.

Unless you installed "naked" distribution. In that case you void the right to hardware replacement ? I hope not...

• udkudk Member

Is it ok to remove their monitoring?

• tuxtux Member

@udk said:
    Is it ok to remove their monitoring?

Yes, it is OK.

• xsetxset Member

@rds100 Called OVH. They said for HARDWARE related tickets you also need to get support from the Forum. The GTI 24/7 support is based on automatic monitoring of hardware faults.
    So you can not create HARDWARE related tickets anymore on KS servers from the Manager V3 interface.

Smart and HDD related MDADM status are collected by RTM monitoring.

• @xset does this mean if you remove the RTM monitoring you can no longer get your hardware replaced?

• xsetxset Member
    edited August 2013

@rds100 Yes, that's what I think unless you go to the forum to ask for help.

I think some regional offices might be able to help over the phone though...

But not sure if they will create HW ticket either for you.

I checked the scripts:

This is what they collect

usr/local/rtm/scripts# find .
    ./hour
    ./hour/listen_ports.pl
    ./hour/hwinfo.pl
    ./hour/hwinfo-root.pl
    ./hour/smart.pl
    ./hour/raid.pl
    ./daily
    ./daily/release.sh
    ./daily/kernel.sh
    ./daily/raid-daily.pl
    ./min
    ./min/hddinfo.pl
    ./min/check.pl
    ./min/usage-root.pl
    ./min/usage.pl

There is automatic PING monitoring outside RTM, so I guess they will investigate
    why server is down, but not sure if they do it 24/7 basis.

But they can't know the warnings from the OS.....

So I guess one must keep RTM active.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

if you remove the RTM monitoring you can no longer get your hardware replaced?

You can always enable it back in case you see a failing SMART attribute, so that it picks this up and reports to OVH.

• xsetxset Member

@rm_ Yeah, but it might be too late when you notice it, unless you have your own checks.

• xsetxset Member
    edited August 2013

none

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited August 2013

I faked the parts of the RTM scripts I don't want OVH to see (i.e. process list, kernel version and a few others). I still let the server send them information about smart status of the drives and so on.

• @pechspilz said:
    I faked the parts of the RTM scripts I don't want OVH to see (i.e. process list, kernel version and a few others). I still let the server send them information about smart status of the drives and so on.

Could you please tell us how to make fake parts that will still be sent via RTM?

• There is no way to install own images right?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Pretty sure the ping monitoring isn't monitored. Plenty of times my server locked up and became completely unresponsive for 12+ hours due to nzb bombs choking it, and they never flagged it to me or did anything.

• @Nekki said:
    Pretty sure the ping monitoring isn't monitored. Plenty of times my server locked up and became completely unresponsive for 12+ hours due to nzb bombs choking it, and they never flagged it to me or did anything.

Maybe you had disabled it in the manager?

• @xset said:
    rds100 Called OVH. They said for HARDWARE related tickets you also need to get support from the Forum. The GTI 24/7 support is based on automatic monitoring of hardware faults.
    So you can not create HARDWARE related tickets anymore on KS servers from the Manager V3 interface.

Smart and HDD related MDADM status are collected by RTM monitoring.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you buddy.

One of the drives in the software RAID 1 array on our KS4G has failed, and I can't register on the forum as, 'Registration has been disabled by Admin'.

Unlike you, I can't seem to get through on their phone line. Always engaged!!

I too also have RTM monitoring enabled in the management interface.

Tried tweeting them @OVH_support_en & @OVH. No reaponse yet.

Lost as what to do now! :(

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MiguelQ said:
    Maybe you had disabled it in the manager?

Nope, was enabled. To be honest, given the amount of servers they have and low price, I can't imagine it's viable for the to check every server that stops responding to a ping. After all, how do they know there's not a reason for it? They're not going to waste their time.

• @Nekki said:
    After all, how do they know there's not a reason for it?

They do check. Earlier this year I had a server in BHS rebooting itself, about once a week. Little after the third time I got a report from OVH that a faulty power connector was replaced.

This discussion has been closed.