Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina

Comments

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited August 2017

@Nekki said:

Seek error rates aren't usually too much to worry about in isolation, but a high command timeout is usually an indicator of a badly performing disk, if not one that's about to fail.

So yeah, i was always too lazy to google it all the time, and now i decided its finally time... here is the explanation: http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/Seagate_SER_RRER_HEC.html

And example from one of those 750GB hdd's:

[root@ds02 ~]# smartctl -v 7,hex48 -A /dev/sde | grep Seek
      7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   089   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       0x000036f16b0b
    [root@ds02 ~]# smartctl -A /dev/sde | grep Seek
      7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   089   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       921791249

So this drive had A LOT of seeks, but zero seek errors...

188/command timeout works the same way with different values being stored in different bits, and smartctl simply converts it as whole number into dec, which provides totally pointless result...

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@dacentec Will you allow these servers to be transferred to other LET'ers, assuming they have an account with you in good standing?

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said:
    @dacentec Will you allow these servers to be transferred to other LET'ers, assuming they have an account with you in good standing?

We don't allow account transfers for dedicated servers. Once we make sure we've got this issue in the bag we'll list some more up on the site for order.

• they only have Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB 2x2TB Rent Only now, no additional 750GB disks...

would have been a nice storage box...

• @spammy said:
    they only have Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB 2x2TB Rent Only now, no additional 750GB disks...

would have been a nice storage box...

Correction, they did.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2017

dacentec said: We've got a couple of offers for customers affected by this issue. If you were affected by the BIOS update open up a ticket with our sales team and we'll see if we can restore your trust in us. If you cancelled your server, still open up a ticket with us. We'd love for you to give us another shot.

I was told you'd adjust my billing or whatever. It wasn't done. And I have been sending you many replies for IOMMU, and related bugs... As well as warning you about this thread.

Looks like 40+ replies.

--

I did set 1GB for IOMMU and it seems to be ok. If you're not seeing this option in the Northbridge settings, ask @dacentec to upgrade your BIOS (actually, send them a ticket :P)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

So these Seagates are fucking mental. How the fuck can you work anything out from the Smart values?

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited August 2017

Got all my shit working finally after getting three disks replaced, only issue is the new ones are slowly getting higher Raw_Read_Error_Rate and Hardware_ECC_Recovered SMART values, not sure if dying.

@Nekki said:
    So these Seagates are fucking mental. How the fuck can you work anything out from the Smart values?

SMART is basically just educated guesses really. It was never that reliable.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Setsura said:

@Nekki said:

These Segates throw the idea of educated guess on the floor and go for totally obfuscated information. I think I have a terrifyingly high command timeout number, on a couple of the drives, but I can't be sure because the raw value isn't int the format it's supposed to be.

• WSSWSS Member

@Setsura said:

Much like Seagate.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • sinsin Member

S3phy said: I mentioned earlier the absurd Command_Timeout and Seek_Error_Rate stats in my SMART output. While the drives do work, I found those worrysome. It wouldn't be bad if it was just one drive, but it's 3 of the 4 750gb disks.

Command_Timeout and Seek_Error_Rate are nothing really to worry about.

Thanked by 1S3phy
  • Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited August 2017

To be honest it is smartctl/smartmontools fault that values are mindlessly converted to DEC by default.
    For me command timeout is not listed at all on this drives, for some reason, so this is from another server:

[root@ds06 ~]# smartctl -v 188,hex48 -A /dev/sda -d sat+cciss,0 | grep Command_Timeout
    188 Command_Timeout         0x0032   100   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       0x00060006000c
    [root@ds06 ~]# smartctl -A /dev/sda -d sat+cciss,0 | grep Command_Timeout
    188 Command_Timeout         0x0032   100   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       25770197004

Basically, 3 different values stored here, from what i could find it is "command timeout, command timeout >5sec, command timeout >7.5sec". Instead of terrifyingly huge number there are just few errors that occured during drive lifetime.

edited August 2017

@MikePT said:

I was told you'd adjust my billing or whatever. It wasn't done. And I have been sending you many replies for IOMMU, and related bugs... As well as warning you about this thread.

Looks like 40+ replies.

I think we got you took care of this morning on the billing cycle date adjustment. If that wasn't your ticket just shoot us a message on here with your ticket number and we'll get the billing team on it.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@dacentec said:

@MikePT said:

Looks like 40+ replies.

I think we got you took care of this morning on the billing cycle date adjustment. If that wasn't your ticket just shoot us a message on here with your ticket number and we'll get the billing team on it.

You have. Thank you, I appreciate folks.

• Appears to be back, with 4x1TB now - get 'em while you can :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@tehdan said:
    Appears to be back, with 4x1TB now - get 'em while you can :)

I want to bite, but I know I must not.

• @Nekki do it!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@tehdan said:
    @Nekki do it!

Gah

• @Nekki Dooooo Iiiiiitttttt.

• Dollar is falling against any currency you might reasonably use...

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I hate you all.

• @Nekki Couple qualudes you love me in the morning.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@AuroraZ said:
    @Nekki Couple qualudes you love me in the morning.

I do love qualudes.

• Seem to be gone again?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Sorry

• @Nekki did you get one?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Yeh blud.

What specs/price?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MikePT said:
    What specs/price?

Same as the last offer, but 4x1Tb instead of 4x750GB.

I assume they decided it was less grief to go with a less problematic bigger drive.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@tehdan said:
    Appears to be back, with 4x1TB now - get 'em while you can :)

Yep, we decided that the 750GB just wasn't cutting it. The new offer has a bonus 4TB (4x1TB SATA) and anyone who has the 750GB and wants to update to the 4x1TB bonus offer just open a ticket with our support team and we'll take care of you.