Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina

Comments

• DETioDETio Member
    edited August 2017

There's also these offers from NOCIX.net, I tried one yesterday - pretty good for the price and the support responded within 2 minutes when I asked them to enable VT in the BIOS (since it doesn't include KVM/IPMI).

Also you don't have to install the OS via KVM and it's activated instantly (around ~30 minutes while the OS is automatically installed)

• WSSWSS Member

@Harambe said:
    Good to know. Just worried about how well these old drives will do, loaded with data, in a rebuild scenario. Can just see a cascading failure in my future, lol.

They won't be happy unless you get your IOMMU/et issues handled, but once you have enough I/O space for them to run fairly normal- you just need to care and feed for them, reminding yourself that you DID use one of the newest ones as the spare, right? ;)

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:
    reminding yourself that you DID use one of the newest ones as the spare, right? ;)

Who needs a spare? lol. If I wanted only 2 drives worth of storage I would've gone with a RAID 10 :P

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

Raid 0 with six years spin time on it. That's one way to feel the Bern.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Guys I understand the servers might be shit but what the fuck are you guys doing with them? @Nekki had like three drives replacement... lol

• WSSWSS Member

@Hxxx said:
    Guys I understand the servers might be shit but what the fuck are you guys doing with them? @Nekki had like three drives replacement... lol

Formatting a disk is abuse! SAVE THE ELECTRONS!

• @MagicalTrain said:
    Ok seriously. This dude is a troll.

I seriously do appreciate the information and knowledge that's being shared here,

The procedures that you guys had prescribed here to get these servers operational is very valuable where else on the internet are you going to find this information, most of you act like you are a private exclusive Club

when someone like me even asks you for help or advice your reply is

"If you don't know how to do it don't do it'

most of you are very arrogant but when you are among your peers, you share all the information so you tell me who the troll.

• WSSWSS Member

FUCKING DIE IN A FIRE SLOWLY.

@Nekki, your thoughts?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2017

@painfreepc said:

@MagicalTrain said:

I seriously do appreciate the information and knowledge that's being shared here,

The procedures that you guys had prescribed here to get these servers operational is very valuable where else on the internet are you going to find this information, most of you act like you are a private exclusive Club

when someone like me even asks you for help or advice your reply is

"If you don't know how to do it don't do it'

most of you are very arrogant but when you are among your peers, you share all the information so you tell me who the troll.

Community effort. Not just a guy asking for help but sharing what he has already done as well. Then we all run our tests and try something new, hopefully to help someone having exactly the same issue, or pretty similar. This is why communities exist.

Most newcomers ask basic questions,
    something that could have been googled in like 5 seconds.
    Instead of posting a thread, I would suggest googling a bit first. Thats why people are not so receptive to newbies here. They do not use google much other than to search for vps, order those, and have someone else telling them the right commands to copy paste.

Dont give them the fish, teach them how to fish.

Thanked by 2MasonR vimalware
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited August 2017

@painfreepc said:

>

Hey thank you for your analogy right there it kind of actually makes my point the problem is I don't mind fishing but someone could at least point me to a Goddamn fishing pole,

The question that I had originally asked on another Trend here at this forum was where can I find a good YouTube video on how to set up a dedicated server instead I got the smart ass answer

if I don't know how to do it don't do it,

The problem I'm having right now is I am not totally green I am in that gray area,

I have managed several VPS I've even run my own DNS and mail server from my home but I know nothing about running a dedicated server..

edited August 2017

@painfreepc said:

@painfreepc said:

>

Hey thank you for your analogy right there it kind of actually makes my point the problem is I don't mind fishing but someone could at least point me to a Goddamn fishing pole,

The question that I had originally asked on another Trend here at this forum was where can I find a good YouTube video on how to set up a dedicated server instead I got the smart ass answer

if I don't know how to do it don't do it,

The problem I'm having right now is I am not totally green I am in that gray area,

I have managed several VPS I've even run my own DNS and mail server from my home but I know nothing about running a dedicated server..

If you were able to setup the DNS, mail server and managed several VPS then basically you can manage a Dedicated Server. Specially if you are used to KVM VPS. Its the same thing. You'll probably get IPMI access to the Dedicated Server which allows you to remotely manage it (reinstall using an iso, reboot, check temps etc).

However if you don't feel comfortable doing so just go for a managed Dedicated Server or VPS.

Asking for a YouTube video on how to setup it, is... Meh. There are plenty. For supermicro IPMIs, Dell, HP, etc. You just need to find the right one for the IPMI you are using. Plus, most DCs if not all install the OS straight away for you. So yeah I cant see much logic there to be honest with you. Order a cheap server and learn. Reinstall it a hundred times just dont be afraid and risk doing what you want to achieve.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @painfreepc said:
    selling cheap shit systems with problems - WOW I almost rented one of shit buckets..

yes, i even told everyone on page 1 they had 70k hour drives..

• Lmao

• @DETio said:
    There's also these offers from NOCIX.net, I tried one yesterday - pretty good for the price and the support responded within 2 minutes when I asked them to enable VT in the BIOS (since it doesn't include KVM/IPMI).

Also you don't have to install the OS via KVM and it's activated instantly (around ~30 minutes while the OS is automatically installed)

same as https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

I have one

• @painfreepc said:
    i do think you guys for this forum Thread,

I have picked up a lot of info,

i am saving the pages for offline reading

Because that sounds like a forward from grandma.

And "how to set up a dedicated server" is google able quite easily, which is why you didn't get much help on that front. Especially when you already have some small amount of experience you should understand that before you ask others for help, you should google and try everything you can beforehand and not come across as if you haven't tried helping yourself. You want a fishing pole? Google is the best damn fishing pole available, fully pimped out with radarr, rocket launcher and a mini stove for immediate cooking of the fish.

Thanked by 2MikePT WSS
  • @MikePT said:

@painfreepc said:

@MagicalTrain said:

how would a person that is totally green, understand what is and is not a basic question,

lets take DNS, I know a lot about DNS I have even ran a public DNS Server - YES I now know that's a bad thing to do..

A friend ask me how to setup dns for a home web server, I don't think any question he asked was basic..

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Dacentec don't do server transfers, I've asked them before.

• @painfreepc said:

@MikePT said:

@painfreepc said:

@MagicalTrain said:

how would a person that is totally green, understand what is and is not a basic question,

lets take DNS, I know a lot about DNS I have even ran a public DNS Server - YES I now know that's a bad thing to do..

A friend ask me how to setup dns for a home web server, I don't think any question he asked was basic..

If googling "how to set up dedicated server" literally gives you the answer, its a fucking basic question. You didnt try to help yourself.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited August 2017

I did try,

are you a real ass hole or do you just play one on the web..

• WSSWSS Member

@MagicalTrain said:
    If googling "how to set up dedicated server" literally gives you the answer, its a fucking basic question. You didnt try to help yourself.

He bounces between over the top and possibly believable, if not capable of handling it, in case you haven't figured out the scheme, yet.

• @WSS said:

@MagicalTrain said:

He bounces between over the top and possibly believable, if not capable of handling it, in case you haven't figured out the scheme, yet.

Maybe im just a bit too old to understand how being perceived as being retarded is somehow fun.

• WSSWSS Member

@MagicalTrain said:
    Maybe im just a bit too old to understand how being perceived as being retarded is somehow fun.

It's more of a game of "how long can I get away with this." That's why engaging less makes the entire premises pointless, and they tend to go on to more lulzy waters.

• nulldevnulldev Member
    edited August 2017

@painfreepc said:

@DETio said:
    [snip]

same as https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

I have one

Then how do you not know how to setup dedicated servers? confused

• ordered it a few days a go, all is good for now..

So, updates:

My server is NOT working properly yet.

I was assigned to an account manager that was looking to the possibility to swap my server, or wait for the BIOS update (first possibility if I was in a rush), and told them that I could wait for a night or something or else, just deliver another server.
    I was stuck with the option to keep waiting for them to test the BIOS firmware and then update my BIOS.

I told them that the servers would be working just fine, there's even a guy in the forums (linked to this thread) that has the newer BIOS version installed and can change the IOMMU settings.

They offered to adjust billing, and notify me for the BIOS update, although there hasn't been a response for over 35 hours. This is not acceptable, at all.

I told them that we were planning to keep this server for a long time, however it seems we're not worth for them, as they haven't replied to the ticket, nor to our replies (2 in total) in that ticket, bumping it to ask for an update.

Their support is pretty good... Or... Was. Their customer care isn't at least. I'm really pissed off at them and I found out this way that I cannot really run anything production there.

Deliver broken hw - happens sometimes;
    Delivering bad hdd's - happens sometimes;
    Bad SATA cables - happens sometimes (not fixed yet);
    Bios Update - their responsibiliy;

BTW, this has been going on since I purchased the server, the 35h + waiting hours, are related to the contact from their account manager. The issues have been taking way too long without any sort of update.

Conclusion: El Cheapo no longer likes Dacentec.

I've spent over 20h trying to fix their own servers.

Sorry but I had to vent somewhere. :P

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

@MikePT said:
    @dacentec

Mind to comment something here?
    You did read this thread, you were online today, heh.

What's the thing with this HW? We understand it's a super cheap offer, and your staff is awesome - prompt support, more than willing to help. But this is not working well, at all.

We are looking into this issue with the BIOS update. We have seen where some customers have successfully updated the BIOS, and have equally seen where the update has made the server unusable. Our hardware team is investigating the update though and hopefully, we can get a successful test completed to resolve this.

Anyone having issues with this server model please feel free to open a ticket with our sales and billing team. We will be glad to adjust bill cycle dates for you to accommodate the additional work to get the server operating as intended for you.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

I must admit to a certain nervousness about doing anymore work with the server and I'm thinking about just writing off the $25.

Support has been excellent throughout for me, but those 50k/hr 750GB drives seem destined to die, especially as I've already had 3 die when I've done nothing more than reinstall the OS. I've still got three in the server and I don't have time to keep fucking about with getting drives replaced even if I can RAID up to avoid any actual dataloss.

Thanked by 2S3phy MikePT
  • I just asked for a refund. I like tinkering with servers as much as the next guy, but if I cant get the server to actually run any recent distribution and hard drives seem to be dropping like flies, I dont know if I should really be keeping the server.

The support was awesome though and Ill be keeping my eyes open for other deals with maybe at least somewhat more recent hardware.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@Nekki I believe you can ask for a better set of drives, unless is written in their TOS as not possible.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Hxxx said:
    @Nekki I believe you can ask for a better set of drives, unless is written in their TOS as not possible.

It's a bargain basement offer, realistically they're not going to give me replacement drives (at least not ones with significantly less hours on them) unless there are signs of failure.