Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina

Comments

• @MagicalTrain said: I have no idea why he hasnt just bought an online dedi.

He probably wants something inside the US. Someone already suggested Nocix and WSI.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Yeah honestly... I think this is not working. Taking too long to sort any issues now I'm waiting for an escalation.
    Thing is, the time I've spent on this hw. Meh.

Just want it to be working properly.

MagicalTrain said: They said that they dont generally do bios updates, but will look into if its possible on a test server first. So ill see if it works out or not.

They told me the same. @WSS server is running the latest version though.

edited August 2017

@dacentec

Mind to comment something here?
    You did read this thread, you were online today, heh.

What's the thing with this HW? We understand it's a super cheap offer, and your staff is awesome - prompt support, more than willing to help. But this is not working well, at all.

• @MikePT said: They said that they dont generally do bios updates

If you temporarily install Windows on the server, can't you flash the BIOS yourself with the manufacturer's installers? I've seen those installers for Dell systems but they only support Windows.

edited August 2017

saibal said: If you temporarily install Windows on the server, can't you flash the BIOS yourself with the manufacturer's installers? I've seen those installers for Dell systems but they only support Windows.

I don't think it'd work, I need to flash it using a Floppy/USB, tried everything but it won't detect, at all.

=============================================================
    For <filename>.exe
    =============================================================
        1. Run the <filename>.exe file under Windows to create the BIOS flash floppy disk.
        2. Insert the floppy, into the system for which you wish to flash the BIOS.
        3. Boot up the system for which you wish to flash the BIOS.
        4. The BIOS utility will run automatically and begin flashing the BIOS WITHOUT any prompts.

** Warning: Flashing the wrong BIOS on system can cause harm to the system. **

==============================================================
    For <filename>.zip
    ==============================================================
        1. Prepare a DOS or 98 bootable USB disk    
        2. Extract <filename>.zip file under Windows into the USB disk
        3. Boot up system for which BIOS will be flashed from 98 bootable USB disk.
        4. At the prompt, type: "flash"  and hit enter.

None of these methods worked... Even created the DOS bootable USB disk.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Got the disk back, but it's on it's last legs I think:

D# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
      1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   118   085   006    Pre-fail  Always       -       197183715
      3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   095   093   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
      4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always       -       112
      5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       10
      7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   088   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       802243685
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   042   042   000    Old_age   Always       -       51320
     10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
     12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always       -       112
    187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
    189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
    190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   069   055   045    Old_age   Always       -       31 (Min/Max 31/33)
    194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   031   045   000    Old_age   Always       -       31 (0 18 0 0 0)
    195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   085   055   000    Old_age   Always       -       88808084
    197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       1
    198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1
    199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
    200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
    202 Data_Address_Mark_Errs  0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
    No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
    Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
    # 1  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%     51320         274536
    # 2  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%     51320         274536
    # 3  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%     51320         274536

• Shit @nekki, the fuck is going on there on your server?

• @MikePT said: I need to flash it using a Floppy/USB

Ah I see. The Dell system I flashed had an exe that could just be run from inside Windows. It would reboot and the BIOS would be flashed. You probably need to wait for the DC techs to flash it for you then.

Only one of my 750G drives have around 50K hours. 2 of them around 8 and 1 around 15. One of the 2TB is around 8 and the other 12. No bad sectors on any yet. But those drives are so slow.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

MagicalTrain said: Shit @nekki, the fuck is going on there on your server?

Fuck knows.

@Damian, if I don't manage to get this disk sorted in the next 24 hours, do you want it?

• Nekki said: if I don't manage to get this disk sorted in the next 24 hours, do you want it?

Sure, I'll take over the old girl and see if I can get some sort of useful media server out of it

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Damian said: Sure, I'll take over the old girl and see if I can get some sort of useful media server out of it

OK fella, watch this space. I assume you've got a Dacentec account in good standing etc for the transfer?

• WSSWSS Member

The way I usually work around not having Windows is to run the EXE under DosBox or bochs, take the extracted shit and have them put it on a bootable USB stick. They offered to run a bootable USB stick for me when they obviously saw how shitty the KVM was to use.

I'd suggest BartPE, but I think that's been abandoned at least as long as this motherboard..

• NekkiNekki Veteran

One more drive swap.

Have to say, despite the issues, still very impressed with the support. I wouldn't be put off buying from Dacentec again in the future.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited August 2017

i do think you guys for this forum Thread,

I have picked up a lot of info,

i am saving the pages for offline reading

• Ok seriously. This dude is a troll.

Thanked by 1nulldev
  • Got server delivered 24 hours ago and still trying to install OS.

First tried to install CentOS 7 and failed then Dacentec support said I can't install CentOS 7 ....

Now trying to install CentOS 6 and this time it's behaving weird, sometime showing 2 disks, sometimes 3 / 5 but never showing all 6 disks.

Anyone here faced such issue?

• WSSWSS Member
    edited August 2017

@Nekki said:
    One more drive swap.

Have to say, despite the issues, still very impressed with the support. I wouldn't be put off buying from Dacentec again in the future.

I know, right? I really wanted to say "Get your shit together", but fuck they were on my tickets in hours, if not minutes.

@MagicalTrain said:
    Ok seriously. This dude is a troll.

Nice to take the rest of you an additional week to figure it out.

@wa44io4 said:
    Got server delivered 24 hours ago and still trying to install OS.

First tried to install CentOS 7 and failed then Dacentec support said I can't install CentOS 7 ....

Now trying to install CentOS 6 and this time it's behaving weird, sometime showing 2 disks, sometimes 3 / 5 but never showing all 6 disks.

Anyone here faced such issue?

Did you check to see what lsblk shows? You're probably going to want to kill the header. I always run

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M count=1024

to every drive to ensure any prior raid or other marking is gone.

• @WSS I didnt think acting retarded was still in. It makes the person that does the acting look twice as, well, retarded looking as the people theyre trolling.

edited August 2017

@Nekki said:
    One more drive swap.

Yeah. Tbh their support is what keeps me there. Server is... Messed up. Different errors all the time. If I were them I would throw all these servers to the trash can.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Over 4.5k hours on the latest drive, but it's the first one to still be recognised after a reboot, so that's progress!

Thanked by 1WSS

@Nekki said:
    Over 4.5k hours on the latest drive, but it's the first one to still be recognised after a reboot, so that's progress!

Wut but all other drivers are working, no?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MikePT said:

@Nekki said:

Wut but all other drivers are working, no?

Yeah, all the others are fine, I'm good to go I think.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

To counter the drive horrors: mine showed up with all drives working, varying ages but nothing that screams "these are going to die tomorrow" (besides the model # and age of the 750s, that is). Got a RAID 1 for the new-ish 2TB, and a RAID 5 going for the 750s.

I don't know if the 750s would even survive a rebuild though, so it may be better to run them as JBOD or get some performance out of them in a RAID 10.

Raid 1 2TBs:

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 129 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 126 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 127 MB/s
    Average I/O : 127.333 MB/s

Raid 5 750GBs:

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 120 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 124 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 125 MB/s
    Average I/O : 123 MB/s

Edit: well fuck the formatting, not working at all for me.

• sinsin Member

Nekki said: Have to say, despite the issues, still very impressed with the support. I wouldn't be put off buying from Dacentec again in the future.

I always had great experiences with Dacentec, my last server with them was a Opteron 1381 with 2x2TB for $20 and it worked great.

It sucks to see all these people having issues with the new deal they put out.

• WSSWSS Member

@Harambe said:
    I don't know if the 750s would even survive a rebuild though, so it may be better to run them as JBOD or get some performance out of them in a RAID 10.

I administatively failed one of my 750s and had them replace it. I added the new drive and it rebuilt with no issues.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

@Harambe said:

I administatively failed one of my 750s and had them replace it. I added the new drive and it rebuilt with no issues.

Good to know. Just worried about how well these old drives will do, loaded with data, in a rebuild scenario. Can just see a cascading failure in my future, lol.

@sin said:

Nekki said: Have to say, despite the issues, still very impressed with the support. I wouldn't be put off buying from Dacentec again in the future.

I always had great experiences with Dacentec, my last server with them was a Opteron 1381 with 2x2TB for $20 and it worked great.

It sucks to see all these people having issues with the new deal they put out.

Yeah but they are damn great.

@Harambe said:

@WSS said:

@Harambe said:

Good to know. Just worried about how well these old drives will do, loaded with data, in a rebuild scenario. Can just see a cascading failure in my future, lol.

Mine are running RAID 10 with no issues.

• Nekki said: I assume you've got a Dacentec account in good standing etc for the transfer?

I've created one now. I don't know their usual process; maybe if you need to ticket them yet again, lump in an inquiry on what the transfer procedure is (or if it's even allowed)

• After trying out shit for a while longer, mine seems to be ok currently. No idea what did it though. Havent had any errors since last reboot.

For the 2TB raid 1:

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 82.7 us / 3.72 ms / 36.4 ms / 3.63 ms
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 2.94 k requests in 5.00 s, 734.5 MiB, 587 iops, 146.9 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    130.65 MiB/s
        2nd run:    129.70 MiB/s
        3rd run: 129.70 MiB/s

For the 1,5TB raid 10:

ioping: seek rate
       min/avg/max/mdev = 5.95 ms / 12.9 ms / 20.2 ms / 4.54 ms