Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feedback & Suggestions - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feedback & Suggestions

Comments

• That doesn't even begin to approach what was said to me.

mpkossen said: You've edited all your other comments where you said @ATHK was almost certainly somebody with too much time because he didn't have a job, etc.

Lies. I never once edited anything like that into or out of my comments. I rarely edit a comment other than to add something or correct spelling.

I am not going to ban anybody over this. We're all adults here, I think we can handle a fierce discussion :-)

The problem is that some people are behaving as children.

Again, I respectfully ask mods to ban @ATHK and @texteditor, or delete my LET/LEB accounts. I'll stay if the mods remove the bullies, otherwise I don't want any part of it. If you have no intention of removing the bullies, then delete my account now.

• The only "bully" here was you, you started on me because I asked a simple question directed at someone else, you're the one being childish and pathetic.. seriously please just stop you are being such a big baby over nothing...

• Children, to your respective corners for a short time-out please.

If you can't stand what the "bullies" on the internet say, then you should get off the internet. Next you're going to be ranting about reddit and talking about how you love cats.

• MrObvious said: If you can't stand what the "bullies" on the internet say, then you should get off the internet.

Assuming you are addressing me.... It's not that I can't stand what @ATHK and @texteditor write (Note: the reverse is more true in that they can't stand when I say nice things about CVPS), it's that the LET Rules expressly prohibit their behavior. It may be commonplace for them to act this way, but they are still breaking the rules by denigrating those they disagree with.

• jimpop said: the reverse is more true in that they can't stand when I say nice things about CVPS

Oh my goodness .. you assume that I don't like it when people write nice things about a provider I've NEVER used? yep very very good logic there, I asked Chris a god damn valid question not YOU! for god sake!

Please oh please stop tagging me I don't give a rats ass what you have to say about me, I don't want to play your childish stupid games..

Please just shut the hell up and get over it you child.

• Friends, it's feedback & suggestion thread! Everyone says or do some stupid thing sometimes, but it's no need to go into some drastic actions or even leave community because of this. With cultural and all other differences let's have some understanding for each other and calm down. Everyone, please.

• Please delete my LET account. I no longer wish to be associated with LET.

• jimpop said: Please delete my LET account. I no longer wish to be associated with LET.

Not going to happen.

If you have anything else to say on this, please do it in the Cest Pit!

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@jimpop said:
    Please delete my LET account. I no longer wish to be associated with LET.

Hope that you don't go anywhere @jimpop, I know I appreciated reading your no-nonsense posts.

• I am rather glad I get emailed every time this thread gets updated. It gives me a lot of fun things to read at the end of a stressful day.

Regarding actual site feedback however:

• Links from emails regarding messages in do not link properly (they link to messages/ due to word wrapping in plaintext emails, which results in a permission error.) This is not an issue if your client is configured to read HTML emails, but an issue in the plaintext equivalent.
    • Do we have any official stance (we being the rules and regulations of LET/LEB) regarding clients "proving" they actually are a customer of your company? I have had some rather angry fellow destroying my last two threads, who refuses to open a Support Ticket or come on LiveChat to prove he even is a customer. On WebHostingTalk, such an account would be banned immediately, but I did not see any sort of response here yet (even after reporting the erring posts.)
    • When you change your password (and even your login email too) old sessions and logins are STILL ACTIVE. This poses a big security risk, and was a huge issue for when I took this account off the previous owner of this company. The previous owner was still logged in, regardless of not having the password or email address; the sessions themselves were never cleared.

Those are the only things that I can provide as feedback at this time, otherwise Vanilla is great; and the site is working great so far. Pages load rather fast and there is nothing you can do about the community having a trollish content, which is just how the internet is now. I would not trade my daily amusement (see above) for anything however.

• @HardCloud: thank you very much for your feedback! It is appreciated!

You are not the only one having issues with Vanilla. Me and Spirit had discussed the (many) shortcomings long before. However, a solution is not very simple. Development of Vanilla is extremely slow and is not a priority of the development team. Not to dismiss their effort, but they are focused on their "premium" offering. They offer a hosted infrastructure (where, ironically enough, they couldn't handle LET).

So, this basically gives us three options:

• Just accept the shortcomings (this is my least favorite options)
    • Fix stuff ourselves (this is the most time-consuming option)
    • Migrate to other forum software (this is also time-consuming)

As you see, any real solution takes quite some time.

Now, I'm just going to throw this out there, but promise not to pin this on me. This is just an idea I've been having and it may very well never happen. Maybe it doesn't even fit LET's identity.

I've been meaning to start testing with alternative forum software and see whether I could replicate part of LET's behavior, like the front page and the layout of the threads, by using modules and modifying the layout. Due to the busy period before Christmas and the time the testing will take, I haven't got time to do this now. I'm planning on doing this in the new year. If this test will succeed, I will discuss this with jbiloh and SysAdmin to see whether it's an option to switch and migrate.

So, there you have it :-) I'm not going to ignore these issues (there are many more, BTW), but I'm afraid we can't fix them soon either :-(

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited December 2013

@mpkossen said:

Of course! I just wanted to make sure these issues were already known, have one more as well:

• When using the "Quote" button to reply to comments, sometimes they come out exactly as you see above; with no actual content of the message, just the "x said" bit.

As per moving to another forum software; I don't think it would fit this site very well. The supported options are as follows, each with their own drawbacks for this type of community:

• PHPBB : Not well suited for larger projects, coding is a mess as is extending / modifying the existing behaviors. There is a lot of community support for this software however!
    • SMF (Simple Machines Forums) : Not well suited for larger projects, has a history of really crippling exploits; but seems to be on its' feet now. Themes and plugins are easy to create!
    • vBulletin : Don't even get me started about InternetBrands
    • XenForo : My personal recommendation ; but I'm not sure it would be right for LET. The performance needs of XenForo (or any real forum software) are much higher than that of Vanilla, but XenForo is very easy to theme; and VERY VERY easy to modify the workings of with extensions and plugins. It was made by the true developers of vBulletin before vBulletin was bought out.
  • HardCloud said: As per moving to another forum software; I don't think it would fit this site very well. The supported options are as follows, each with their own drawbacks for this type of community:

The options you mentioned do not include IP.Board, which is what I am currently considering. I have one (small) forum myself which runs that and I have to say, it works very well. It will solve almost every issues we have as administrators/moderators. It also has a solid front-end. However, I want to keep the current style (the single feed on the front page) and the current post layout (no unnecessary padding). Other than that, most of the functionality we have here is available there as well: thanks button, quote selection, multi-quote, quick reply, etc.

There's plenty other options available as well, including open source ones. However, most of then wouldn't fit. I'll just have to see and dig around a bit. For now, Vanilla will have to do. And maybe fixing vanilla is an option. It can be forked on GitHub, so...

• @mpkossen said:

Good point, I'm going to fork it now and see what I can't chock up, maybe put some pull requests in. Do you guys have your own fork of it yet, or should I just go off the official one?

• HardCloud said: Good point, I'm going to fork it now and see what I can't chock up, maybe put some pull requests in. Do you guys have your own fork of it yet, or should I just go off the official one?

We don't have our own fork. I have to add, though: most of the functionality that's broken in plugin functionality. Plain Vanilla doesn't do much. We have like 18 plugins to get what we want.

• @mpkossen said:
    We don't have our own fork. I have to add, though: most of the functionality that's broken in plugin functionality. Plain Vanilla doesn't do much. We have like 18 plugins to get what we want.

Shame, any list or collection of those pushed somewhere that I can try and work out the kinks on a similar system to the one here?

• HardCloud said: Shame, any list or collection of those pushed somewhere that I can try and work out the kinks on a similar system to the one here?

I don't even know where they all come from. Best bet is to try the Vanilla repositories and work it out from there. Or use the HTML sources and see what's included. Maybe the source code has some references.

• @mpkossen said:

Yeah... base Vanilla running on PHP-latest-trunk + Apache2.4-latest works just fine, I'm not seeing half the issues I'm seeing here, so I'm not entirely sure what the issue is or how to track it down at this point. I'd be quick to jump on the plugins, so I'm trying to source those out now.

• @HardCloud said:
    Yeah... base Vanilla running on PHP-latest-trunk + Apache2.4-latest works just fine, I'm not seeing half the issues I'm seeing here, so I'm not entirely sure what the issue is or how to track it down at this point. I'd be quick to jump on the plugins, so I'm trying to source those out now.

This forum has high traffic.

I will admit that the quote bug is annoying.

• @jbiloh said:
    I will admit that the quote bug is annoying.

I think it has something to do with type of browsers used to access LET.
    I'm using opera and have no problem with it.

• @vRozenSch00n said:

@concerto49 said:

@jbiloh said:

I can't reproduce the quote bug on the latest Vanilla, PHP and Apache off of github / cvs. I'm trying to source out all the plugins now to see if one of those is causing the issue, but it doesn't seem like base Vanilla is doing it.

@vRozenSch00n said:
    I'm using opera and have no problem with it.

Whoa, another Opera user. Man, we are rare.

@hardcloud the full response quote feature is provided by a plugin.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @jbiloh said:
    hardcloud the full response quote feature is provided by a plugin.

Yeah, I got that plugin. Got the polls one that was being discussed, and a few of the other ones (thanks, profile seperation, oauth, etc.) Just trying to find plugins with similar functionality to the ones here, since nobody had a list handy.

Here are the details on the quote plugin we're using:

Quotes Adds an option to each comment for users to easily quote each other.
    Version 1.6.6|Requires: Vanilla Version 2.1a|By Tim Gunter

• @jbiloh said:
    Quotes Adds an option to each comment for users to easily quote each other.
    Version 1.6.6|Requires: Vanilla Version 2.1a|By Tim Gunter

Ahh thanks, I'll switch out the quote plugin I was using then, was a different one with identical functionality i found off GitHub.

@HardCloud said:
    Ahh thanks, I'll switch out the quote plugin I was using then, was a different one with identical functionality i found off GitHub.

If yours works we could switch, I just want something that functions properly. Or if you're able to fix ours that would be amazing.

• @mpkossen said:

• Migrate to other forum software (this is also time-consuming)

Discourse?

Thanked by 1Dean
  • mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited December 2013

tux said: Discourse?

Oh, me likes already! I'll definitely give that a try. It looks at lot like vanilla. Hopefully it has more developer focus and better features.

EDIT: Oh boy, it's RoR...

• @mpkossen said:
    EDIT: Oh boy, it's RoR...

Yup, have fun with Ruby!

This discussion has been closed.