Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VortexNode struggling - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VortexNode struggling

Comments

• Some info:

Your server price will be increase to $33 monthly.

>

If you want to move to Toronto, then your service price may increase by $100 USD >even.

• IshaqIshaq Member

Seems like even their staff don't know what's going on?

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Well I sent a ticket to cancel and get prorated refunds. They are willing to do it for my yearly vps's
    But they won't refund me for the UK atom which I just paid for untill August 28th.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@thharris said:
    Well I sent a ticket to cancel and get prorated refunds. They are willing to do it for my yearly vps's
    But they won't refund me for the UK atom which I just paid for untill August 28th.

Paypal dispute? Seems like one of mine expires also this late...

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Dedicated server customers have till the end of their prepaid time. So when your server is done, no more renewals.

Thanked by 1Wicked
  • @Ishaq said:

Its been like that even when mag was there

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

agoldenberg said: Dedicated server customers have till the end of their prepaid time. So when your server is done, no more renewals.

@thharris, are you saying they are forcing you to move your UK atom, and they won't refund you the 2 months or so between the time the move is forced and the end of your term?

If they're honoring in UK until Aug 28 and then they won't renew you there, that's legit.

If they're forcing you to move and won't pro-rate a refund, that's bogus. You may have had very good reasons for buying in the UK, you paid for a year, and Canada might not be suitable for your needs.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

raindog308 said: Canada might not be suitable for your needs.

Quit hating on the colonies man :/

Francisco

@Ishaq said:

I get the feeling that nothing was a flat fee for them from CC, so the bump won't be the same for each thing.

Is staying inside CC an option anymore? Or is that the option where people are going up 50% or more? It sounded like they wanted everyone to move to Toronto.

Francisco

• Support answered my ticket, Dallas server remains in Dallas with a price bump of $3. Sounds good to me (E3-1240v3 / 32GB RAM / 1TB for $38/month).

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

@thharris said:
    Well I sent a ticket to cancel and get prorated refunds. They are willing to do it for my yearly vps's

So they are now officially ripping people off then, they have taken payment for a service they know they cannot provide and refuse to refund you.

Maybe worth posting some proof of that they should really get their provider tag stripped and put on the shitlist if it is true.

tagging @Ishaq to consider the above.

• @AnthonySmith said:

@thharris said:

So they are now officially ripping people off then, they have taken payment for a service they know they cannot provide and refuse to refund you.

Maybe worth posting some proof of that they should really get their provider tag stripped and put on the shitlist if it is true @Ishaq?

Completely agreed however I don't see them returning to this website. I will be in contact regarding my atom. I was previously informed the UK atom hardware was acquired for free as apart of a deal so the only price is the colo. They are MicroClouds so min 8 nodes to 3U. Low power and bandwidth shouldn't be too unreasonable some customers pay $10-30/month for them as well so overall I'd guess they should be feasible

• @AnthonySmith said:

@thharris said:

Maybe worth posting some proof of that they should really get their provider tag stripped and put on the shitlist if it is true.

tagging @Ishaq to consider the above.

Magnus was their rep here and they got rid of him and carried on using that account without announcing. That account doesn't have a provider tag now.

• lurchlurch Member
    edited May 2017

I will be cancelling my uk atoms then shame as i've just paid another 3 months on them. I have had them idling as I wanted to see what their uptime/network was like before putting them to use plus a couple of threads on here made me wary about what was happinging at VN and sustainabaility. One of my atoms did ok, the other no end of disk problems.

18:36:07 up 138 days, 20:37, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.05, 0.05

GenjiSwitchPls said: They are MicroClouds so min 8 nodes to 3U. Low power and bandwidth shouldn't be too unreasonable some customers pay $10-30/month for them as well so overall I'd guess they should be feasible

taking the middle ground at $12.50 if you are only taking $100 revenue for 3U you are in deep shit, that is not even remotely sustainable.

• @AnthonySmith said:

GenjiSwitchPls said: They are MicroClouds so min 8 nodes to 3U. Low power and bandwidth shouldn't be too unreasonable some customers pay $10-30/month for them as well so overall I'd guess they should be feasible

taking the middle ground at $12.50 if you are only taking $100 revenue for 3U you are in deep shit, that is not even remotely sustainable.

They have a decent contract I was told. So I'm sure it will just be filling space in the rack.

Well based on what is going on now. I can't agree.

It is one thing to cover your costs, it's another to make a profit, then it is again another thing to make a sustainable level of profit so that salaries etc can be paid, this is a business, not a hobby.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@AnthonySmith said:

It is one thing to cover your costs, it's another to make a profit, then it is again another thing to make a sustainable level of profit so that salaries etc can be paid, this is a business, not a hobby.

A rack of ATOM's is going to eat around 10A 240v so you'd be looking at needing 20A 240v to power 100 units (40 / 3 * 8) , but even then at $5/month you're barely over $500/month before paypal fees.

Where are people getting that much power, 42U of space, and bandwidth in the UK? That's a killer deal if so.

Francisco

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Francisco said:

@AnthonySmith said:

A rack of ATOM's is going to eat around 10A 240v so you'd be looking at needing 20A 240v to power 100 units (40 / 3 * 8) , but even then at $5/month you're barely over $500/month before paypal fees.

Where are people getting that much power, 42U of space, and bandwidth in the UK? That's a killer deal if so.

Francisco

Well its 15$ per 3 months, so less paypal fees.

Also, they sold the same Servers for 10,15$ and 35$, so not everybody pays 5$.

• @Francisco said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Francisco

Maidenhead so likely an IOMart facility?

@Neoon said:

@Francisco said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Francisco

Well its 15$ per 3 months, so less paypal fees.

Also, they sold the same Servers for 10,15$ and 35$, so not everybody pays 5$.

Do you think they were selling many at $15 and $35 when OVH is a ms or two away doing it for $10/m on an Intel i3/i5?

Francisco

edited May 2017

Francisco said: Where are people getting that much power, 42U of space, and bandwidth in the UK?

You can get it, but you will not make any money at those rates, the problem I see here is that there is a general attitude of "it costs them this much so that is what they should be able to sustain" from the end users, that is just not how it works.

Pretty silly really, on the scale of OVH with the subsidized power etc, fine, ok, in bulk you can make that work, but not in an iomart facility, it was never going to work.

I can't imagine a rack with power even if it is full of atoms is going to be much less than £700 p/month in iomart on a super duper fantastic deal, they would need to be paying around £175 p/month for the entire rack including power to have even a shitty but sustainable profit.

No one in the WORLD gives you a full rack for £175 including power.

My opinion is that they bought someone out, the rack etc was paid up in advance by the previous occupants/owners, so all they had was some of the power to pay so they used it to gain whatever they could and to make a name for themselves.

I.e they had nothing to lose and knew full well they would be screwing people over in the long run.

Thanked by 1stefeman
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    My opinion is that they bought someone out, the rack etc was paid up in advance by the previous occupants/owners, so all they had was some of the power to pay so they used it to gain whatever they could and to make a name for themselves.

I.e they had nothing to lose and knew full well they would be screwing people over in the long run.

Yeah they bought this company out so they could say "X years in business" rather than "We just started two weeks ago... HERES $5 ATOMS!"

I'm wondering if it was another Crissic? Perhaps it was all about them precious, precious numbers?

@IThinkUFailed said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Yeah they bought this company out so they could say "X years in business" rather than "We just started two weeks ago... HERES $5 ATOMS!"

I'm wondering if it was another Crissic? Perhaps it was all about them precious, precious numbers?

They had no IP assets on any of this, infact aren't the Toronto IP's from Cogent?

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

@AnthonySmith said:

They had no IP assets on any of this, infact aren't the Toronto IP's from Cogent?

Francisco

Honestly, I have no clue I decided a while back I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole as soon as the E3's for sub $40 came flooding in. Then the $35/mo 100TB bw dedis...

Thanked by 1raindog308

@IThinkUFailed said:

@Francisco said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Francisco

Honestly, I have no clue I decided a while back I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole as soon as the E3's for sub $40 came flooding in. Then the $35/mo 100TB bw dedis...

That's bloody cheap.

Francisco

• DwayneDwayne Member

thharris said: But they won't refund me for the UK atom which I just paid for untill August 28th.

I got a refund earlier today for the same billing period.

• teamaccteamacc Member

@Francisco said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

@Francisco said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Francisco

That's bloody cheap.

Francisco

To be fair it turned out to be mostly 300mbit unlimited/unmetered. Not real 1gbit burst if I am to believe some of the complaints about it.

• @Dwayne said:

thharris said: But they won't refund me for the UK atom which I just paid for untill August 28th.

With Paypal dispute?

@risturiz said:

@Dwayne said:

With Paypal dispute?

Please don't go the dispute route unless you must.

Francisco

Thanked by 2deadbeef jiggawatt
This discussion has been closed.