Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VortexNode struggling - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VortexNode struggling

Comments

• @Neoon said:
    I asked them about the 5$ Atoms, that was the response:

"We will keep the servers only until the paid period will expire.
    After that you can purchase one of our dedicated servers, depends on the offer which we will have at that time on our website. "

What the fuck? The mail said something different..

In addition,

"The price will increase on the UK servers, but no new servers will be offered."

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ThracianDog said:

@Neoon said:
    I asked them about the 5$ Atoms, that was the response:

"We will keep the servers only until the paid period will expire.
    After that you can purchase one of our dedicated servers, depends on the offer which we will have at that time on our website. "

What the fuck? The mail said something different..

In addition,

"The price will increase on the UK servers, but no new servers will be offered."

That makes sense.

I would recommend asking them what their plan for UK is if there's enough cancellations. If there's a chance the location will fold fully.

Francisco

• I didn't get the email but cancelled my last server with them this morning. Lucky me I guess. Got fed up waiting for them to reinstall the OS.

• carcosacarcosa Member

Magnus created a monster with his BF deals lol

• hzrhzr Member

GenjiSwitchPls said: Regardless UK > CA one fucker of a move. USE > CA is like "yeah alright" USW > CAE is like okay that's a push. UK > CA you are taking the piss

USW > CAE is just as bad if not worse as UK > CAE

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think anyone with any industry experience saw this coming (hosts and end users/customers), you just can't sell a dollar for 100 cents and make a profit, if you can't make a profit you have to make big changes because no one runs a business for free.

I suspect for the most part people that bought anything from them saw this as a "too good to be true" offer and was just happy to use it as long as it lasted.

Anyone that really thought this was sustainable and made long-term plans will have at the very least gained some valuable knowledge for the future.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Yeah I bought a dedi from them and all that's on it is a Blog and an Owncloud instance. Anyone wanna make a refugee offer on VPS or Dedi? I'll be in the market :)

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I'm very sympathetic towards VortexNode at this point, particularly considering that while it's not perfect, they are holding on to their contracts with current customers. Not to mention for the price of the servers, I'm sure they had risks even though they believed that the benefit of offering something cheap on a mass scale would provide them with profits. And considering that it seems the issue is more with the DC than the hardware according to what I read. This is the increased risks involved most of the times (not all) with providers here who try to do us LETers a service by making it affordable to us. For those who might be upset, I don't blame you but at least they seem to be focusing on alternate strategy and fighting to keep afloat.

P.S I have no affiliation with them. I do however wish them the best of luck and look forward to see if they can survive it

• @Junkless said:

@Yura said:

Mmm... let me guess.. in the movies with Jackie Chan, amiright?

Nope.. Jackie Chan usually has terrible luck in all his movies. Hence the expression in the DP :P

I remember every. Single. Rush Hour.

Thanked by 2MasonR Junkless
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited May 2017

Also if you're running your thousands-of-dollars-per-minute business on a server from here, and it's your only server where you've stored 15 years of your life work with no other copies anywhere else whatsoever:

Thanked by 3Falzo Hxxx karjaj
  • rocketrocket Member

@raindog308 said:

rocket said: Pretty dirty if so..

I'm not sure I agree. They're providing the service you contracted for, and honoring it for the full term of the contract.

Do you think a hosting company is on the hook to allow you to renew an offer at the same price for the rest of your life?

That's a good point.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Oh well, the $5 ride on the UK atom was fun for as long as it lasted.
    Also, FUCK CC!

• I'm thinking the VortexNode brand is dead and is going to be rolled into https://www.linovus.hosting/ for them to focus on the upscale market / consulting in Toronto. They already rolled one of their other VPS brands into Linovus a few weeks ago.

Thanked by 3Kris raindog308 Pwner
  • williewillie Member

kingjj said:

Have a 10 buck yearly VPS in Alanta that ive never been able to use

Hmm, I have one of those that has mostly worked fine, except the time that they clobbered it in a disk crash and lost all the files.

• The best deal probably was their shared hosting as it's going to be viable longer. But even this is going to move to CA.. hum...

• defaultdefault Veteran

So far I am satisfied with VortexNode, but I do not want to see problems in their services or going out of business. However, I am concerned about this move too early; all those great offers that were given on LET have only 6 months of activity, and we are already talking about price increase, downtime, and support issues in datacenter. I still want to see VortexNode as a great provider on the long run.

• fanfan Veteran

They told me that they are in talks with the DC that hosts the $5 Atoms to see if the DC can take over at that price, the price will most certainly increase to keep them I think. Once it's gone I think I'll stick with my Kimsufi and online.net specials, at least these two are not going anywhere.

• IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited May 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    I think anyone with any industry experience saw this coming (hosts and end users/customers), you just can't sell a dollar for 100 cents and make a profit, if you can't make a profit you have to make big changes because no one runs a business for free.

Pretty much. I could understand their shared hosting offers to be dirt cheap as let's face it - it's shared web hosting. When the $25-$40 E3's came about I thought something was a bit suspicious as did most people. Power/Bandwidth alone would have been about that.

I figured at first a lot of it was loss leaders simply to generate interest but the loss leaders never stopped coming... This was always going to be the end result be it 6 months later or 3 years later. Something would have had to change eventually.

Pretty sure they were doing 100TB bandwidth dedis in Toronto for $35 at some point too.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

"our ATOM servers will be subject to a price increase if they remain in the UK. We are working to accommodate users who do not wish to migrate to Toronto. You will be able to renew the servers but at the new price adjustment.

Sorry for the confusion. How would you like to proceed?"

When I read this correct, only UK is affected by price increase, Torronto stays the same Price but needs to be migrated. Dafuq? They telling everyone something different.

My understanding:

If you stay in the UK, you accept a price increase.

If you want to keep the same price you move to Toronto.

if neither of those options are ones you can accept, cancel.

edited May 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    My understanding:

If you stay in the UK, you accept a price increase.

If you want to keep the same price you move to Toronto.

if neither of those options are ones you can accept, cancel.

Another Update:

If you stay in UK, price increase.

If you get migrated to Toronto, price increase, since they do not have the same hardware in toronto.

But why the fuck, do they want to migrate before they know anything?

They cannot give me a price what It would cost in the UK or what a replacement in Toronto would cost and what specs..

Thanked by 1ucxo

Neoon said: But why the fuck, do they want to migrate before they know anything?

Just cancel, it's a cheap service that was never sustainable, you obviously would not be using it for production ANYTHING so nothing lost.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

Obviously too good to be true pricing, turning out to be too good to be true... Shocking!

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith

hmmmm

"CC is confident in offloading themselves to customers at VN prices and cutting out the middle man."

"Apparently that big outage a few weeks back was CC 'muscle flexing'

So, CC wants more profit with cheap deals, and costumers need to suffer.

Capitalism strikes again.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited May 2017

I have an idea guys!

How about from now on if I see an offer thread that is too good to be true I will post that it is too good to be true and then I will follow up with an 'I told you so' thread about 6 months later.

Thanked by 3Falzo default philipc
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Sooner then expected ;-).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

maldovia said: I'm thinking the VortexNode brand is dead and is going to be rolled into https://www.linovus.hosting/ for them to focus on the upscale market / consulting in Toronto. They already rolled one of their other VPS brands into Linovus a few weeks ago.

VortexNode is a better brand than Linovus. My first reactions to "Linovus":

1. "The guys who make laptops do hosting...? Probably some uber-expensive public cloud thing. Pass."

2. "Isn't that a country up by Estonia? Well, I don't need hosting there. Pass."

3. "Was that one of the Legion characters in Fallout 3?"

4. "My mom put that stuff in for her kitchen flooring."

5. "Great, another freakin' Linux distro."

• @Neoon said:

How are those cheap Venezuelan servers you have doing?

Thanked by 1Pwner
    edited May 2017

@deadbeef said:

@Neoon said:

How are those cheap Venezuelan servers you have doing?

eh What?

This discussion has been closed.