Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BudgetNode uses a CPU that doesn't meet my requirements
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BudgetNode uses a CPU that doesn't meet my requirements

IxalyonIxalyon Member
edited May 2017 in General

I purchased BudgetNode KVM Server on 14 th May around 11 AM IST. Deployment is quite fast. I received the service within 10 minutes. Which is quite fast. Then I tried to just installed GUI in Cent OS. Usually any VPS I ever own (KVM and OpenVZ) will complete installing roughly in 10 minutes. But this one took more than 20 minutes. When I checked network speed is quite nice. It downloaded packages quicker than other VPS(May be have internal repo) but installing them happened in snail speed. Only possible bottlenecks are memory,cpu and SSD speed. Considering decent SSD performance (avg 150 MB's) and assuming memory is at least DDR3 bottleneck should be lies in the CPU. Then I ran some synthetic bench marks.

Share at https://github.com/mgutz/vpsbench/wiki/VPS-Hosts

_05/24/2017 - VMPLAN - DATACENTER - OS - AUTHOR_
```
CPU model:  QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
Number of cores: 4
CPU frequency:  1999.999 MHz
Total amount of RAM: 1839 MB
Total amount of swap:  MB
System uptime:   3 days, 17:51,       
I/O speed:  188 MB/s
Bzip 25MB: **9.72s**
Download 100MB file: 58.8MB/s

It showed that they are providing Virtual CPU( Which may or may not be Xeon they mentioned) with 4 virtual cores at 2Ghz. As oppose to here is another KVM VPS(Wishosting) I own which provides a resource pool, not just a single instance.

_05/24/2017 - VMPLAN - DATACENTER - OS - AUTHOR_
```
CPU model:  AMD Opteron 6128
Number of cores: 1
CPU frequency:  1999.999 MHz
Total amount of RAM: 3952 MB
Total amount of swap:  MB
System uptime:   4 days, 1:25,       
I/O speed:  43.7 MB/s
Bzip 25MB: **10.89s**
Download 100MB file: 19.2MB/s

Xeon L5639(Budget Nodes supposedly worse CPU config) do have CPU Mark ST Rating of 1125 is just sightly faster in the BZip test than AMD Opteron 6128 which score just CPU Mark ST Rating of 695(Roughly half ST performance [1125 vs 695 and 4 core vs 1 core]). I am not gonna bother to further prove their CPU in slow. In a nutshell all I wanted to tell is my first impression (With in hour of purchase) was bad. Bad enough to request cancel order right away.( I did benchmark later to prove the point)

They were very quick to cancel my order, but I waited one more day receive my refund as any other hosting service would and as mentioned in Budget Node 19.3 ToS they will full refund if service canceled within 24 hours. When I inquire about that @Ishaq says according to 19.2 ToS they have delivered as described, so no refunds(Even when their servers has crappy performance). Now I paid for a month with no service. Anyway he was 'kind enough' force me back to use his crappy server(I don't want) as otherwise I will lose money for nothing.

Moral of the experience, not every service provider is honest and fair. You can hide crappy products behind the legal points. And most importantly make sure to read every line in the ToS carefully.

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member

Hey @Ishaq & @Jordan - Today is your day...

Thanked by 1quick
  • IshaqIshaq Member

I've been off this week but I will investigate as soon as possible.

• JordanJordan Member
    edited May 2017

We don't attempt to hide this point at all. You can check all of our recent offers and they all say at the top " All services come with a 7 day money back guarantee if the service is not as described."

It's also listed in the FAQ on the main site.

• WinneWinne Member

Let's hope Ishaq doesn't delete your thread. :P

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Why didn't you work with the provider to see if they could clear the performance issue up before cancelling? Couldn't be arsed?

• myMaplemyMaple Member

I also had ordered a VPS from them and noticed that it was terribly slow. I never ordered from them after that. Hopefully they can fix these performance problems.

• IshaqIshaq Member

So if I understand correctly the top test is ours which is faster in network, disk, and CPU speed to the bottom test you are comparing us to from another provider which is slower in disk, network, and CPU speed?

I'm not sure what the problem is?

• IshaqIshaq Member

@myMaple said:
    I also had ordered a VPS from them and noticed that it was terribly slow. I never ordered from them after that. Hopefully they can fix these performance problems.

Sorry to hear. PM me a ticket ID if you have one so I can look into it.

• @Ishaq said:
    So if I understand correctly the top test is ours which is faster in network, disk, and CPU speed to the bottom test you are comparing us to from another provider which is slower in disk, network, and CPU speed?

I'm not sure what the problem is?

Dont want to sound rude, but are you really not able to see the problem here ?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ixalyon said: Budget Node 19.3 ToS

FYI, the actual terms are:

"19.2 Refunds will only be provided if the service you received is not as described. This will be decided at the discretion of management.

19.3 BudgetNode will offer a full refund within 24 hours of first order. Within 7 days of first order, a partial refund will be offered, covering payment vendor fees."

As a consumer, 19.2 seems pretty much a "no refunds ever" clause because you're trusting management to see things your way, but...it is what @lxalyon agreed to.

Jordan said: We don't attempt to hide this point at all. You can check all of our recent offers and they all say at the top " All services come with a 7 day money back guarantee if the service is not as described."

But that's not really a guarantee...I mean, who determines "as described"? You do, per your TOS, so it's essentially a 7 day guarantee as long as you agree they deserve a refund and that's not really much of a guarantee.

I think you should either offer an unconditional 7-day guarantee (with the usual no abuse/new customer/etc. disclaimers), or not offer a guarantee at all, because a guarantee that is subject to someone's opinion is not really a guarantee.

Nekki said: Why didn't you work with the provider to see if they could clear the performance issue up before cancelling?

That's a good point.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@Junkless said: Dont want to sound rude, but are you really not able to see the problem here ?

He is comparing us to another provider with a slower test so maybe I'm missing something?

Have to admit I haven't read the whole thread properly just yet. I will be back on later.

• @Winne said:

I've seen at least 1 response be deleted already.

• JunklessJunkless Member
    edited May 2017

@Ishaq said:
    He is comparing us to another provider with a slower test so maybe I'm missing something?

Have to admit I haven't read the whole thread properly just yet. I will be back on later.

slower by 10%, while according to benchmarks, your VPS is supposed to be faster by 400-800%.

4 vCPU cores (each with CPU mark score of 1125) vs 1 vCPU core (CPU mark score of 6xx) ..and still only 10% faster.

Thanked by 3ScammerProut ucxo Pwner
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Winne said:

?

• @jarland said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Winne said:

?

I've actually seen a response be deleted. I don't have screenshot proof, but I swear down one has been removed. I'm 99% positive I have.

• m3gfm3gf Member

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@jarland said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Winne said:

?

I've actually seen a response be deleted. I don't have screenshot proof, but I swear down one has been removed. I'm 99% positive I have.

What did that post say?

There was a troll banned a few minutes ago and posts deleted, not sure if they posted here.

• @m3gf said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@jarland said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Winne said:

?

What did that post say?

I don't remember/care but something has gone missing, Ishaq will probably say if he has.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

@Ixalyon

I believe the simple solution here is to simply have the cpu type updated to 'passthrough' and exact match.

It catches me out sometimes because solusvm seems to want to hide the default options for that so unless you explicitly remember to go back over and set it on a per KVM template basis the end user ends up with a qemu-cpu

SolusVM also does not allow you to set this on a per ISO basis so it has to be manually set afterward for the end user and you then need to force a reboot, no way to set default CPU config at all.

Raised it with them and @OnApp_Terry said it is as per design and they have no intention on providing any improvement or support for it despite the impact on end users and hosts.

So it might be worth allowing them to set your CPU up properly and trying again before getting a refund, it's not necessarily negligence just a crappy bit of inflexibility in SolusVM.

You will also be using most likely be using the default IDE driver which is absolute crap, again a host using solusvm cannot set virtio as default when you install from ISO.

Just a suggestion.

Thanked by 2Jordan vimalware
  • bzip is single threaded. L5639 and Opteron 6128 are roughly the same era, so you should see a slight performance increase on the Intel but the scores will be relatively similar.

Thanked by 3Jordan Junkless ucxo
  • Ishaq said: I'm not sure what the problem is?

I think that the thing is that your server costs $16,99, meanwhile wishosting $3,5 and performance difference is nowhere proportionate. The price difference is huge and it's used by OP to show how "bad" your service is as he can get nearly the same performace for few times less. Moreover OP thinks that your CPU is somewhere comparable to AMD Opteron 6128 (which wishosting stated from the beginning, you didn't), because it's also 2GHz and it's perormance is comparable to Opteron. By the way OP thinks, QEMU CPU is a way for provider to hide node CPU. That makes him imagine what's the real CPU. Yeah, I know - it's not how it works, but it might be worth explaining it to OP.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

GenjiSwitchPls said: I've actually seen a response be deleted. I don't have screenshot proof, but I swear down one has been removed. I'm 99% positive I have.

There was a joker who joined, posted a reply with an offer, and then opened a thread asking "What is a VPS?" I deleted his posts, dumped his thread, and banned him, but that had nothing to do with anything here.

GenjiSwitchPls said: I've actually seen a response be deleted. I don't have screenshot proof, but I swear down one has been removed. I'm 99% positive I have.

I looked at the change log (which records edits and deletes) and I don't see anything for this thread.

In fact, the only mod action I see for @Ishaq this morning was his ban of this rather amusing account...

https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/157231/raindog30088

Thanked by 1jar
  • @raindog308 said:

There was a joker who joined, posted a reply with an offer, and then opened a thread asking "What is a VPS?" I deleted his posts, dumped his thread, and banned him, but that had nothing to do with anything here.

I looked at the change log (which records edits and deletes) and I don't see anything for this thread.

In fact, the only mod action I see for @Ishaq this morning was his ban of this rather amusing account...

I'm certain. Unless vanilla doesn't record deletes of posts with accounts like Jarland said

• JordanJordan Member
    edited May 2017

Ishaq said: I'm not sure what the problem is?

I think that the thing is that your server costs $16,99, meanwhile wishosting $3,5 and performance difference is nowhere proportionate. The price difference is huge and it's used by OP to show how "bad" your service is as he can get nearly the same performace for few times less. Moreover OP thinks that your CPU is somewhere comparable to AMD Opteron 6128 (which wishosting stated from the beginning, you didn't), because it's also 2GHz and it's perormance is comparable to Opteron. By the way OP thinks, QEMU CPU is a way for provider to hide node CPU. That makes him imagine what's the real CPU. Yeah, I know - it's not how it works, but it might be worth explaining it to OP.

The processors we use are advertised on the site. If it's not adequate for your usage, then don't sign up.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Jordan said:

The processors we use are advertised on the site. If it's not adequate for your usage, then don't sign up.

Wable-style customer relations. Don't get enough of that these days.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@raindog308 said:

I'm certain. Unless vanilla doesn't record deletes of posts with accounts like Jarland said

raindog308 said: change log (which records edits and deletes)

Sometimes... :(

Possible fix incoming, no ETA.

• Jordan said: The processors we use are advertised on the site. If it's not adequate for your usage, then don't sign up.

Well... I just tried to show OP point of view. Also would you mind to tell me where can I find which CPUs do you use, as I can't find that? If it's clearly visible, I'll edit my post as it looks like I deliberately misled.

• JordanJordan Member

@MrPsycho said:

Jordan said: The processors we use are advertised on the site. If it's not adequate for your usage, then don't sign up.

Well... I just tried to show OP point of view. Also would you mind to tell me where can I find which CPUs do you use, as I can't find that? If it's clearly visible, I'll edit my post as it looks like I deliberately misled.

On all of the plan pages under the "Our Features" section.

• MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited May 2017

@Jordan said:

@MrPsycho said:

Jordan said: The processors we use are advertised on the site. If it's not adequate for your usage, then don't sign up.

On all of the plan pages under the "Our Features" section.

Oh yeah... It makes a hell lot of sense which CPUs do you use. It's like saying "I have i5 in my PC or "I have GTX in my laptop". That's manipulation, and it's used by major comapnies. And I'm sure you know that.

Edit: Just to be clear. I'm not trying to offend you. I'm trying to show you how it looks from customer perspective.

Edit2: I totally can understand that you don't want to share that information. It's your choice. A lot of companies also don't do that, but don't pretend you do.

Thanked by 1ucxo
This discussion has been closed.