Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net kidechire EOL - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net kidechire EOL

Comments

• loydloyd Member
    edited May 2017

Lack of cancellation does not constitute authorization.

I requested in a good faith they reverse the charge and pointed out that if they don't I will treat this as credit card fraud and dispute it as such with my bank. Their reply was:

This new server has been delivered the 29th March and you had until the 1st May to cancel it without any charges.

Hence Online.net is commiting mass scale credit card fraud and with full criminal intent, since I made attempt for them to rectify the situation and even after making it blatantly clear there was no authorization they still refused. As many people as possible should report this to their banks and Online will find themselves in hot waters of criminal investigation. This should be a precedent for other vendors who would like to try such stunt.

If Online gets away with this, other companies will start doing it.

• loyd said: Lack of cancellation does not constitute authorization.

>

Of course it does. This is how it has always been working.

• @Issam2204 said:

loyd said: Lack of cancellation does not constitute authorization.

For a recurring existing product sure, but for a completely new one that wasn't even ordered? Ehh.

• loydloyd Member
    edited May 2017

@Issam2204 said:

loyd said: Lack of cancellation does not constitute authorization.

>

In banking industry is something called pre-authorization. Online did not obtain it.

Companies sometimes change their terms of service and send them to you and if no reply, it is accepted. If it does not involve more money, it is considered reasonably acceptable practice. If the new terms require higher payment than original contract authorizes, the explicit authorization is always required - unless they have "bill whatever you want" agreement with you.

In this case it was not even amendment of the terms, but discontinuation of the product and push of the new unsolicited one. They did not call it upgrade, they themselves called it End Of Life. There is no relation to previous product other than same vendor so the argument about amendment of terms has no grounds.

Imagine if everyone did this, you order a meal in a restaurant, they bring you something else because the meal you ordered just run out, and immediately bill you for it. If you object you did not order alternative, they say you were emailed half an hour ago and since you did not reply, they considered it an authorization to replacement. Absurd.

Thanked by 1default
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

loyd said: and immediately bill you for it.

Thing is, it was nowhere near "immediately" in this case. You had over 20 days to make up your mind and click the "Terminate" button on the new product, in which case you wouldn't have been charged. You had to take special care to not read the E-Mail that's been sent to you, and not visit your control panel, to avoid noticing the new server.

Continuing your restaurant analogy, that's like if the replacement meal they brought in was only due for payment a month later, and if during that month you decided you didn't like it after all, it was entirely free instead.

• teamaccteamacc Member

@rm_ said:

Thing is, it was nowhere near "immediately" in this case. You had over 20 days to make up your mind and click the "Terminate" button on the new product, in which case you wouldn't have been charged. You had to take special care to not read the E-Mail that's been sent to you, and not visit your control panel, to avoid noticing the new server.

Continuing your restaurant analogy, that's like if the replacement meal they brought in was only due for payment a month later, and if during that month you decided you didn't like it after all, it was entirely free instead.

Would you respond the same way if vultr did this with their 2.5 usd plan, modifying it into the 5 usd plan?

This is just some company EOL-ing some old hardware, but sending you (unwanted) new hardware. If that happened by snail-mail, one would have no obligation to pay, and would even be allowed to keep the hardware.

Not to say that online gave sufficient notice imo, but I can see where @loyd is coming from.

• Since there was no CVV involved in that transaction, a chargeback will always succeed.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2017

teamacc said: Would you respond the same way if vultr did this with their 2.5 usd plan, modifying it into the 5 usd plan?

What Vultr has to do with this? Did you really think kidechires were something I didn't "need", and Vultr is something I "need" and therefore I would react in a different way?

And no, if Vultr switched everyone from $2.5 to a $5 plan, while giving people a month to react and cancel (and not get charged), it would be no different and nothing to sue about either.

This is just some company EOL-ing some old hardware, but sending you (unwanted) new hardware. If that happened by snail-mail, one would have no obligation to pay, and would even be allowed to keep the hardware.

With the cancellation period they gave you, it might as well have happened by snail-mail. Yes you had no obligation to pay, and you even got to keep using the server for the free month.

pechspilz said: Since there was no CVV involved in that transaction, a chargeback will always succeed.

Try explaining to your bank why you didn't charge-back all those previous "no CVV involved" monthly transactions from them. Or answering questions such as "have you been warned about the upcoming rate increase" and "were you given time to cancel and avoid it". If you want to say no and no, you are just committing plain financial fraud with your little charge-back.

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited May 2017

@rm_ said:
    If you want to say no and no, you are just committing plain financial fraud with your little charge-back.

Dude, there's need to be a passive-aggressive a-hole, it's not "my little charge-back". All I'm saying is that a chargeback will succeed for an online trx without CVV.

• loydloyd Member
    edited May 2017

@rm_ said:

Billing authorization must be explicit. There is no "but" or "thing is". You do not need to do anything to not authorize, don't need to read emails, press buttons nor visit control panel.

Bank said its not a fraud since I dealt with them before, but they abused the privilege of having the card on file. Lets see, what MasterCard has to say. If they say this is acceptable, I will bow to you in apology and cancel my Mastercard.

• rdesrdes Member

Oneprovider is also terminating VIA Nano servers.

In our continued effort to bring you the very best solutions for your hosting needs, we must inform you that the VIA Nano U2250 1.6Ghz is reaching its end-of-life and will soon be indefinitely decommissioned. All customers with this configuration have until May 31st 2017 inclusively to backup, migrate, or cancel all VIA Nano U2250 1.6Ghz services.

Here is a list of your affected services:
    xxx

By default, you will be getting the following service as a replacement. This is a Paris based, OneCloud (virtual server) plan exclusively created to replace the VIA Nano servers, in order for you to keep a similar price point:

OneCloud
    Plan “Nano”
    4GB RAM
    160GB HDD
    Unmetered @ 1Gbps
    7€ per month

This new configuration will automatically be added as a new, unpaid order to your account in the coming days.
    In addition, you will receive 7€ in credit for each VIA Nano U2250 1.6Ghz in your account (for a total of €7), with which you may pay for your OneCloud Plan “Nano” or any alternative you might consider.

Click xxx to view your Plan “Nano” invoice.

Once the invoice is paid, you will receive a welcome email with instructions on how to install your OS and operate OneCloud via OnePanel. You have until May 31st to pay the aforementioned invoice in order to receive your Plan “Nano”.

Please note that your primary IP will change. Furthermore, our OneCloud infrastructure does not support additional IPs at this time. Because of this limitation, we understand that you may wish to keep using a dedicated server

The following option is our lowest cost dedicated server:

Intel Atom C2750 2.40GHz + IPMI
    8GB RAM
    1x1000GB
    or
    1x128GB SSD
    Unltd @1Gbps
    15€ per month

[....]

• @rdes said:
    Oneprovider is also terminating VIA Nano servers.

Well, that news will make some people on LET feel superior, although I am somewhat pleased that the same rules that apply to us also apply to Oneprovider in this case.

I took the two replacement Dedibox SC's for testing, one in AMS1, the other in DC2 and both running Debian 8. Network speeds in and out of AMS1 were about 60% of DC2. I have cancelled the AMS1 server as a result and will live with one box going forward.

My previous two Kidechire's were in DC3, one Debian and one Server Win2012 off the rescue image install. I was very impressed with them for the money, however Windows disk performance was horrible. Just upset I missed the Dedibox XC special last time.

• IshaqIshaq Member

Just bumping this to remind everyone that this is due to happen in the next few hours.

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited May 2017

They are sending me mails about this every day.

I am a little bit sad. Already moved my stuff to the XC server of their last deal.

• defaultdefault Veteran

F*ck online.net

• @default said:
    F*ck online.net

Now thats a mature response.

Yes, it might be disappointing that they decided to cancel that offer but they nonetheless offered a fantastic deal for years at a price which couldnt have been profitable. So any profanity towards them is not only inappropriate but highly unjustified.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@bitswitch said:

@default said:
    F*ck online.net

Yes, it might be disappointing that they decided to cancel that offer but they nonetheless offered a fantastic deal for years at a price which couldnt have been profitable. So any profanity towards them is not only inappropriate but highly unjustified.

And now you get a new server at the same price better price.

Meanwhile you can also use their super cheap priced ARM (if you can get them), or their cheaper better VPS.

On Black Friday you had a change from their limited edition offers from their fast loading website.

I stand with my mature response. I assume it, it's my view towards them.

• @bitswitch said:

@default said:
    F*ck online.net

I get it though. What they're doing right now is bad marketing. That deal was great and got them a lot of new clients. They're probably selling more of their regular servers because of this promo as well. The point is, you can't trust them to continue offering anything they're selling as a promotion. Sure, every system will reach its EOL at some point but the price increase percentage wise is insane. Still cheap and great for sure, don't get me wrong. It's just that they're sending the wrong message. Get something cheap, see if it'll last. On the other hand, isn't that what LEBs are all about? :).

• @default said:
    And now you get a new server at the same price better price.

Meanwhile you can also use their super cheap priced ARM (if you can get them), or their cheaper better VPS.

On Black Friday you had a change from their limited edition offers from their fast loading website.

I stand with my mature response. I assume it, it's my view towards them.

I am not quite sure what you were trying to say.

@Saragoldfarb said:
    I get it though. What they're doing right now is bad marketing. That deal was great and got them a lot of new clients. They're probably selling more of their regular servers because of this promo as well. The point is, you can't trust them to continue offering anything they're selling as a promotion. Sure, every system will reach its EOL at some point but the price increase percentage wise is insane. Still cheap and great for sure, don't get me wrong. It's just that they're sending the wrong message. Get something cheap, see if it'll last. On the other hand, isn't that what LEBs are all about? :).

It is not like they offered them just for a couple of weeks. These machines ran for close to three years, that is not an unreasonable amount of time.

Yes, it might be disappointing but it is also understandable that they need to clear out their hardware from time to time.

Of course it would have been nicer if people could have kept these machines forever, but I still dont think Online should be blamed for that decision.

• @bitswitch said:
    It is not like they offered them just for a couple of weeks. These machines ran for close to three years, that is not an unreasonable amount of time.

Yes, it might be disappointing but it is also understandable that they need to clear out their hardware from time to time.

Of course it would have been nicer if people could have kept these machines forever, but I still dont think Online should be blamed for that decision.

I agree. They could've given current customers a better deal on the replacement though. They do have the hardware to offer cheap deals as they were able to do some promos around Easter?

It's probably working for them. Piss of 100 clients, gain a 1000 on your next offer. In the end it's all about the profit and who's to blame them?

• @Saragoldfarb said:
    I agree. They could've given current customers a better deal on the replacement though. They do have the hardware to offer cheap deals as they were able to do some promos around Easter?

It's probably working for them. Piss of 100 clients, gain a 1000 on your next offer. In the end it's all about the profit and who's to blame them?

Well, they do have a retention offer, waiving the setup fee.

But I agree, they could have had something juicier (maybe no setup + 5.99 for the SC instead of 8.99). I cant say I am happy with the cancellation either, but the offer was still good and I dont think they deserve any profanity for that.

May I ask what offers they had around Easter?

• sampppasampppa Member

And it's down.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Farewell, sweet kidichere, thanks to you I was able to share a whole lot of really grim fansubbed hentai.

You'll be missed.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @sampppa said:
    And it's down.

+1

• @bitswitch said:

@Saragoldfarb said:

Well, they do have a retention offer, waiving the setup fee.

But I agree, they could have had something juicier (maybe no setup + 5.99 for the SC instead of 8.99). I cant say I am happy with the cancellation either, but the offer was still good and I dont think they deserve any profanity for that.

May I ask what offers they had around Easter?

Not sure if it was Easter. Could've been a winter deal or something. Not following them that closely anymore as I already have too any servers with them so want to avoid temptation :)

• FredQcFredQc Member

@sampppa said:
    And it's down.

• YuraYura Member

Still held up 2.5 years longer than VortexNode did

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Yura said:
    Still held up 2.5 years longer than VortexNode did

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited June 2017

RIP my kidechire

That kidechire had the longest uptime of pretty much anything I've ever had, I think mine was close to 1000 days. Feels bad man.

• Today is a sad day... Farewell!