Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr $2.50 for 512MB - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr $2.50 for 512MB

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

#ModsKnew

• serverian said: Who's not a copycat?

Aruba is not a copycat. It's also 5 times cheaper, uses a more mature technology and offers higher performance in some of their locations. OTOH I ordered today two new small instances from Vultr, just to stay on topic.

• @hostingwizard_net said:

serverian said: Who's not a copycat?

Aruba is not a copycat.

Didn't know they invented the virtualized hosting. Good for them!

It's cool they are able to afford the big licenses. I actually like VMWare a lot.

• DaveADaveA Member

Hey, I love RAID. Nobody loves RAID more than me. Make Raid Great Again. /s

• IshaqIshaq Member

That's a sexy JBOD you got there.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

raindog308 said: Used to be 768MB for $5 or 1024MB for $10, which meant your price doubled for an addition 128MB of RAM.

Some of that math may be hazardous, we urge not to duplicate it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Maounique said: Some of that math may be hazardous, we urge not to duplicate it.

I overcame the base urge to use my mod powers to hide up my error.

Still, it's 2x the price for only 256MB more, not 2x more.

Thanked by 3Maounique ucxo netomx
  • williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

And the $2.50 plan has 20gb of ssd (actually decent for the price) while the $5 plan has 25gb, not much of a jump (the extra ram is less likely to matter). But if you can only get two of the $2.50 plans then they're kind of a stunt rather than a product. But I might actually start using them for some things.

I have one of those affiliate/promo codes too, if anyone wants to sign up with it: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=7086253-3B

I'd be interested to know if they credit expires like the signup credit I got did.

• This makes a great little box for ZNC's and stuff.

And since everyone shows their Vultr aff...

Free $20 credit using this link: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=7120973-3B

Thanked by 1willie
  • @DaveA said:
    Hey, I love RAID. Nobody loves RAID more than me. Make Raid Great Again. /s

Hey, you are being abused so much with your tons of promotion, did you know?

miau said: I tried aruba, its like the worst $1 I ever spent. Would rather pay more for Linode/DO. Anytime.

Just curious, why? Besides the non-existent support, I mean.

• miaumiau Member
    edited March 2017

@kjl24 said:

@miau said:

@squibs said:
    Race to the bottom. Waiting for Aruba to offer double resources on their $1/mo offering now.

I tried aruba, its like the worst $1 I ever spent.
    Would rather pay more for Linode/DO. Anytime.

what were the issues?

Many.

• No speedtest facility to help me decide which location to deploy. Even a $2 annual provider officially exposes some IP for me to decide.

• Spinning up an instance outright cost $1. ( The other provider will only ask you $0.007)

• Really weird and slow support system. I need some assistance, sent a ticket. They redirect my ticket to different department which can only viewed in some italian language page. Even worse, one of my ticket that was redirected was lost on its way. The employee said he forwarded my ticket to 'proper department' but my ticket wasnt appeard anywhere, nor solved. It just gone.

• Separate credentials for account management and control panel.

• Totally broken 2-way auth. Some feature involves sending a token/password to my phone. I never receive any sms from them. I have to ticket them for the code to be sent via email.

• You are entitled $2 to test drive their service when you request it they said, takes some time as the request is processed manually they said. Waited for 5 days to receive $0.

• Infuriatingly slow and unintuitive control panel. Even worse if you have already experienced how snappy Linode's are.

• Remote console also slow. Dont even have real text or ssh based emergency console.

• If you paid $1, there is no way to use your own distro template/iso. What a perfect solus OVZ experience.

• No external kernel management.

• snapshot? What snapshot?

• Relatively bad pairing to my location compared to other provider (ok this is no one's fault so its forgiven)

If only I know these are all the issued I have to face to save me some $4 a month..

Thanked by 3Maounique kjl24 yomero
    edited March 2017

@miau said:

OK, the support i know is lacking, most of the others are legit issues too, however, the actual service once everything is set is pretty good.
    I agree I keep having issues each time I need to use their panels and they change them, however, I use them so rarely, it does not matter.
    We have a saying here, being cheap at flour and expensive on the milling byproduct, google translate it bran, but in romanian is a bit worse than that.
    If I were one of the corporate customers I would be pissed, but probably need to work with them much more so every weirdness becomes routine, I also bet the italian support for corporate is much better, however, since I am just a regular user (not really regular, but they dont need to know what I run) and I dont cause problems, they offer so much more than the regular extremely low priced host, so I cannot complain.
    To be honest, I am afraid they may stop this offer, then I wont really have a replacement.

Thanked by 1kjl24
  • J1021J1021 Member

Dave is awesome.

Thanked by 1sin
  • jcloudsjclouds Member
    edited March 2017

@Maounique said:
    To be honest, I am afraid they may stop this offer, then I wont really have a replacement.

Believe it or not this isn't their first rodeo. Back when I was young gun and a gamer, about 10 years ago I encountered one of their brands gameservers.com (I believe choopa ran it then, someone else can confirm) which provided the cheapest gameserver prices in the market. It was ridiculously unheard of at the time to have that type of pricing. No one really came close to their pricing, however they weren't know for their quality and were considered the walmart of the gaming industry. In fact when competitive gamers would lag on a server they'd say, "Where'd you get the server from? gameservers.com!?". Interestingly enough I also encountered a competitor called velocity-servers then too (Most know them as CC) which everyone loved because of their network and control panel for gaming. Funny how and where companies start and where they end up.

History lesson

Thanked by 2JahAGR deadbeef
  • FYI, if you have $5 node (768) you can directly upgrade to 1GB without any cost,

just go to control panel for your vps go to settings (on menu bar), choose change plan from left menu, choose 1GB plan, and boom you server upgraded to 1gb + 25 gb ssd

• So cheap, I buy one because it is cheap not because I need it. Vultr has nicer looking website than linode, and the price is also cheaper. So yeah, vultr win.

• WSSWSS Member

*rocks self back and forth* I don't need another idler.. I don't need another nameserver.. I don't need another idler..

Thanked by 2ucxo netomx
  • @didtav said:
    So cheap, I buy one because it is cheap not because I need it. Vultr has nicer looking website than linode, and the price is also cheaper. So yeah, vultr win.

Say cheap one more time for me, please.

• WSSWSS Member

Did somebody say CHEEP?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • bapbap Member

Wow, I have just realized. Gonna move all my blog there, awesome price for Singapore DC!
    Thanks for the info :)

• @Dave Great one

Vultr is great option is asia pacific

Any one know how much BW we get in AUS and JP

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@simonindia said:

Any one know how much BW we get in AUS and JP

Looks like it's the same 500GB worldwide (on the $2.50 plan), there's no difference in the panel when you go to launch in SG/JP/AUS.

• AdamMAdamM Member

fan said: Looks like they are limiting the $2.5 plan to two per account.

I did not see this on the announcement, how do you know there is a limit of 2 (perhaps I missed it).

• AdamM said: how do you know there is a limit of 2

You get told that if you try to buy 3.

Thanked by 2vimalware deadbeef
  • fanfan Veteran

@AdamM said:

fan said: Looks like they are limiting the $2.5 plan to two per account.

I did not see this on the announcement, how do you know there is a limit of 2 (perhaps I missed it).

I tried to create a third one, then the console told me the maximum running sandbox plan is two per account. You can confirm this with their support staff.

• I had to move our large deployment from Vultr after persistent reliability issues over 4-5 months. Hosts hard rebooted every other week due to "connectivity errors". I hope people know what they're getting into...

Thanked by 1yomero
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@fan said:

I tried to create a third one, then the console told me the maximum running sandbox plan is two per account. You can confirm this with their support staff.

Sounds like the Atlantic.net $1/mo plan all over again.

• DaveA said: Hey, I love RAID. Nobody loves RAID more than me.

You mean like the guy who loves pease hence wants to increase military spending? :-)

• Harambe said:

Sounds like the Atlantic.net $1/mo plan all over again.

Do you mean Aruba? Or is that some old Atlantic product. Their current stuff seems to start at $8/m, not very attractive.

That's interesting about Vultr unreliability, hmm.