Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode introduces $5 instances - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode introduces $5 instances

123457»

Comments

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

"Netcraft confirms: BSD is dying" was a slashdot.org meme a while back, and maybe still is. ;)

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @FredQc said:
    Since you're all talking about BSD... I have a NetBSD VM in Promox that work perfectly fine on CC network (Virmach dedi). I've tried the same thing on OVH and can't get the gw to communicate properly (Network unreachable) even if I had set the MAC address properly in Proxmox. I've heard that's because the gw is outside the primary network? I didn't had this problem with FreeBSD. Anyway, the OVH network can be frustrating sometimes.

Got it! I'm putting this here for reference purpose:

bsd# ifconfig fxp0 inet FO_IP netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast FO_IP
    bsd# route add -net MAIN_SERVER_IP.254/32 -cloning -link fxp0 -iface 
    bsd# route add default -ifa FO_IP MAIN_SERVER_IP.254
    bsd# ping -c3 google.com
    PING google.com (216.58.219.206): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 216.58.219.206: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=26.859394 ms
    64 bytes from 216.58.219.206: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=26.761285 ms
    64 bytes from 216.58.219.206: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=26.774285 ms

Thanked by 2sin yomero
  • If anyone cares, it looks like DEVELOPERTEA2017 ($20 credit, don't know expiration) still exists:

https://promo.linode.com/developertea/

Thanked by 3yomero kaflo vimalware
  • @raindog308 said:

FredQc said: I have a NetBSD VM

OMG I knew someone still had one...

I love the idea of NetBSD but it's been ages since I heard of anyone still running it. I've played with it but unless there's some hardware that only NetBSD supports, I never saw the point. Not to be all "BSD is dying" meme, but NetBSD seems to be dying.

NetBSD always has been geared more towards the educational market- people learning how to design, and so forth- that's why it's had IPv6 since 1999, and that virtually every module can be unloaded from the kernel.

That's also why it's not very fast- for anything. The Filesystem, the userland, et al. It's not designed as tightly to the hardware (by design), but that also leaves it as a less desirable setup than what you get with any Linux, or even Free/OpenBSD.

It doesn't like to always play nicely with KVMs, either. I've had 0 problems with OpenBSD on any KVM to date- provided it is 5.6 or newer.

• @willie said:
    If anyone cares, it looks like DEVELOPERTEA2017 ($20 credit, don't know expiration) still exists:

New accounts only or existing accounts to can use it

• simonindia said: New accounts only or existing accounts to can use it

No idea. Give it a try and let us know.

• @WSS said:

@raindog308 said:

FredQc said: I have a NetBSD VM

OMG I knew someone still had one...

I love the idea of NetBSD but it's been ages since I heard of anyone still running it. I've played with it but unless there's some hardware that only NetBSD supports, I never saw the point. Not to be all "BSD is dying" meme, but NetBSD seems to be dying.

NetBSD always has been geared more towards the educational market- people learning how to design, and so forth- that's why it's had IPv6 since 1999, and that virtually every module can be unloaded from the kernel.

That's also why it's not very fast- for anything. The Filesystem, the userland, et al. It's not designed as tightly to the hardware (by design), but that also leaves it as a less desirable setup than what you get with any Linux, or even Free/OpenBSD.

It doesn't like to always play nicely with KVMs, either. I've had 0 problems with OpenBSD on any KVM to date- provided it is 5.6 or newer.

Earlier versions of NetBSD on earlier versions of KVM had some issues, but I'm currently running NetBSD 7 on one of my VPSes without any issues. I prefer NetBSD to OpenBSD, largely due to NetBSD's less paranoid (if I may say so) philosophy. :-)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited February 2017

WSS said: I've had 0 problems with OpenBSD on any KVM to date- provided it is 5.6 or newer.

Except for vio...various kvms I've had crashed without the man page kernel monkeying:

http://man.openbsd.org/vio.4

• I was always a fan of NetBSD as a kind brewing kitchen and as the sure bet for exotic systems.
    I'd also contradict those who consider it all but dead; it seems quite alive and more than other OS is gladly using their package system

That said I almost lost interest due to NetBSD having diverse problems with diverse virtualizations for years and years.

• @simonindia said:

@willie said:
    If anyone cares, it looks like DEVELOPERTEA2017 ($20 credit, don't know expiration) still exists:

New accounts only or existing accounts to can use it

Thanks by coupon, this works well :D

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited February 2017

@willie said:

Signed up finally for a personal Linode account , after 8 years of using Linode.

You have to make a $5 minimum deposit though.

• @angstrom said:
    Earlier versions of NetBSD on earlier versions of KVM had some issues, but I'm currently running NetBSD 7 on one of my VPSes without any issues. I prefer NetBSD to OpenBSD, largely due to NetBSD's less paranoid (if I may say so) philosophy. :-)

Plus, less sewer deRaadts.

@raindog308 said:

WSS said: I've had 0 problems with OpenBSD on any KVM to date- provided it is 5.6 or newer.

Except for vio...various kvms I've had crashed without the man page kernel monkeying:

http://man.openbsd.org/vio.4

Yep. They were mostly fixed on 5.6+, but I don't think I used a vio based installation until at least 5.8, since it meant reprovisoning.

• @bsdguy said:
    I was always a fan of NetBSD as a kind brewing kitchen and as the sure bet for exotic systems.
    I'd also contradict those who consider it all but dead; it seems quite alive and more than other OS is gladly using their package system

That said I almost lost interest due to NetBSD having diverse problems with diverse virtualizations for years and years.

One of the few reliable ways to get aged 68k systems on the 'net and doing something. I ran it for awhile on my old VAXStation 3100s- which took nearly 2 weeks to build the kernel. That was.. painful.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

WSS said: VAXStation 3100s

Oh, God, how much did that cost in it's days? Or is SH?
    I remember reading about that in some scrap paper magazines from Germany and dreaming of all that power. Compared with my spectrum clone, that is...

• WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2017

@Maounique said:

WSS said: VAXStation 3100s

Oh, God, how much did that cost in it's days? Or is SH?
    I remember reading about that in some scrap paper magazines from Germany and dreaming of all that power. Compared with my spectrum clone, that is...

Not sure, but it was at least a couple grand. I got mine for $40 shipped in 2001, came with a supported Digital branded ST hard disk which was all of 40-60MB. The CPU was measured in ns, not Mhz. It was not fast. I had NetBSD on one, because my DECUS membership only gave me one TCP stack for OpenVMS.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • smicroz said: Thanks by coupon, this works well :D

Does it expire like Vultr's does? You have to use Vultr's within 30 days. I don't know what to do with $20 of vultr credit in the next month.

• @willie said:

smicroz said: Thanks by coupon, this works well :D

Does it expire like Vultr's does? You have to use Vultr's within 30 days. I don't know what to do with $20 of vultr credit in the next month.

Linode credit not expired.

• Remember the days when people said DO was not doing profit. Their way of doing things worked so good for them.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Hxxx said:
    Remember the days when people said DO was not doing profit. Their way of doing things worked so good for them.

Did you take into consideration the $250M in loans/VC or does that not count? :P

Francisco

Thanked by 2Hxxx msg7086
  • YuraYura Member
    edited February 2017

@Francisco said:

@Hxxx said:
    Remember the days when people said DO was not doing profit. Their way of doing things worked so good for them.

Did you take into consideration the $250M in loans/VC or does that not count? :P

Francisco

DO: "My VC gave me a small loan of 250 million dollars. It has not been easy for me, my life is so hard..."