Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode introduces $5 instances - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode introduces $5 instances

Comments

• It's been several years since I purchased my first Linode w/ 512MB RAM for 20 bucks......They are one of the best hosting providers and are continuing to work wonders.

• I agree, one of the best, glad they solved the ddos attacks...

• willie said: I think the idea was that Linode was quite expensive compared to LET hosts

Whose idea? I don't recall Linode ever saying that -- just random people on LET.

• Dylan said: I don't recall Linode ever saying that -- just random people on LET.

Obviously no host is going to call themselves expensive. That Linode was expensive compared to LEB's was obvious by looking at the numbers.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

sin said: I usually only see people mention DO and VULTR nowadays with a mention of Linode every once in awhile.

That's because Linode didn't have the $5 plan. This will change now, to the point of why even bother with DO or more obscure names such as Vultr, when there's the $5 Linode.

Thanked by 4marrco Dylan Hxxx Jonchun
  • rm_ said: why even bother with DO or more obscure names such as Vultr, when there's the $5 Linode.

Maybe I wasn't around in the grand old days of Linode, so can someone explain the difference? DO seems to have everything a midrange cloud user would want.

• OMG, nobody know Aruba 1euro deal?
    That is almost same spec; 1cpu, 1gb ram, 20gb space... But please only one euro/usd per month! Nobody care the 1/5th price??

5 dollar? LoL...

• @Dormeo said:
    OMG, nobody know Aruba 1euro deal?
    That is almost same spec; 1cpu, 1gb ram, 20gb space... But please only one euro/usd per month! Nobody care the 1/5th price??

5 dollar? LoL...

Does Aruba have the JP location?

• @Dormeo said:
    OMG, nobody know Aruba 1euro deal?

5 dollar? LoL...

Aruba only has Europe locations.

• layfon said: Aruba only has Europe locations.

Can you have as many as you want? A few hundred, say. Is there an API to launch them?

• Competitors battle, many starts sell SG under $5 for now, they just not match reality and lower prices.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

@willie said:

layfon said: Aruba only has Europe locations.

Can you have as many as you want? A few hundred, say. Is there an API to launch them?

There is an API, max of 30 servers can be active at any time. You can request your limit to be increased, not sure how high they will go.

• It seems that I can choose

• trewq said: 30 servers can be active at any time.

At $1 each? That's not an intro special?

@willie said:

trewq said: 30 servers can be active at any time.

At $1 each? That's not an intro special?

It used to be 2GB RAM but they changed it to 1GB, been available for a while now. I think it's there to stay.

Thanked by 1willie
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2017

Wut?

'#aruba'

1 Eur for same specs, vmware, may not be that stellar, still, it is 4 times cheaper, some locations are really good, etc.
    With the price people pay for 1 linode, i get an array of redundant storage and aggregated bandwidth, at least 2x the CPU power, 4 locations (and IPs, even though I dont need them), what more would I wish for?

• @bsdguy posted a thread recently with tests of their bandwidth:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/104922/analysis-aruba-and-other-surprises

They were best in FR, UK, and DE; not so hot in other countries, but the first three are fine by themselves. Wish they had some in US :)

edited February 2017

willie said: Wish they had some in US :)

US will be less and less competitive regarding bw, so, hoping you will find similar deals except in very big company cases with own backhaul, dark fiber, the full monty OVH style, is a bit too optimistic. Adding the new "prioritization" of traffic and "consolidation" which will now be allowed in the industry, I think it is clear where the things will go.

Thanked by 1willie
  • Maounique said: US will be less and less competitive regarding bw

Yech, probably true :(. I hadn't even been thinking of that. I don't use much bw so basically would just want cheap small instances with reasonable compute/storage and quick but low-volume network. Thanks.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @willie said:

I didn't realize til being in the upscale industry for a while how astonishingly fast LET hosts respond to tickets. If you pay more it's slower, not faster.

Perhaps the problem is that you're not paying enough?

MS respond to most of my Azure tickets in less than 5 minutes, Rackspace are onto virtually everything in less than 15.

@Nekki said:

@willie said:

I didn't realize til being in the upscale industry for a while how astonishingly fast LET hosts respond to tickets. If you pay more it's slower, not faster.

MS respond to most of my Azure tickets in less than 5 minutes, Rackspace are onto virtually everything in less than 15.

We've had a ticket open with rackspace for about 3 years now... We bump it every year or so and ask for an update and they reply they're working on it.

Thanked by 2willie Hxxx
  • @trewq said:

@Nekki said:

@willie said:

We've had a ticket open with rackspace for about 3 years now... We bump it every year or so and ask for an update and they reply they're working on it.

"We told you last year already, we're working on it. Stop asking"

• @trewq said:

@Nekki said:

@willie said:

No way we'd let that stand.

• Nekki said: No way we'd let that stand.

Well if it's a feature request...

edited February 2017

trewq said: We bump it every year or so and ask for an update and they reply they're working on it.

willie said: Well if it's a feature request...

This reminds me of IPv6 for some major provider here.

• @willie said:

Nekki said: No way we'd let that stand.

Well if it's a feature request...

We'd ask how long it would take and hold them to it. If we're paying them to do something, they'll do it.

• Nekki said: If we're paying them to do something

That assumes facts not in evidence. I'd like to know what this ticket actually was.

@Nekki said:

@trewq said:

@Nekki said:

@willie said:

No way we'd let that stand.

We've already moved all our infrastructure off, at this stage it's a pet project to see how long I can keep it running. It's just a yes or no answer from someone in their legal department...

• LeeLee Veteran

raindog308 said: Trivia: LET was once hosted on Linode back in the Chief days. Their DDOS nullrouting made him move it elsewhere.

That would be the DDoS carried out by ColoCrossing that would very neatly fit in with their purchase of LET and the transfer of LET/LEB to the CC network.

• IIRC there are some Mozilla tickets that have been open for literally decades (since 1990s). It makes me smile.