Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode introduces $5 instances - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode introduces $5 instances

Comments

• Grom said: It just went 50% off, do you really ask for another discount lol...

I'll probably sign up either way, was just wanting to know.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

jarland said: I think linode is on a solid track to remain a big name in the market. I barely ever see anyone speak poorly of them anymore despite having compromised customer data twice I think? Not to mention one of the worst outages of all time.

I also remember their habit of nullrouting linodes for 24h at the slightest ddos. Do they still do that?

jarland said:

This $5 entry is a game changer for public opinion. It may not generate wads of cash but it will generate customers who will become advocates.

It looks like the best of their offers so far. I bet DO and Vultr and Lightsail were draining off entry level users so that Linode was almost becoming forgotten. I watch these offerings despite not having a personal use case for them right now. Too many other cheap VPS offers here on LET. :).

• How many times has Linode been hacked (including the theft of Bitcoin hot wallets which was suggested as an inside job?)

Thanked by 1sin
  • I usually only see people mention DO and VULTR nowadays with a mention of Linode every once in awhile.

• @Droid said:
    Is there any Linode promo codes available?

$10 credit on a new account with promo code DOCS10

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Trivia: LET was once hosted on Linode back in the Chief days. Their DDOS nullrouting made him move it elsewhere.

Thanked by 2netomx mehargags
  • @raindog308 the answer is true. I mean since you claimed it as Trivia.

Also! Time to move things to linode! Yay Linode!

AlyssaD said: Time to move things to linode!

Actually I'd prefer DO or Vultr match :-)

trewq said: Might not be flashy but it works.

I don't think you can setup an ssh key when you deploy, can you? That's a pretty painful omission for someone who is competing with DO and Vultr.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:

trewq said: Might not be flashy but it works.

I don't think you can setup an ssh key when you deploy, can you? That's a pretty painful omission for someone who is competing with DO and Vultr.

I set one up a few months ago and I believe I used a key, I could be wrong though. I'll verifiy after work.

• digitalocean, vultr, AmazonLightsail,linode, which one is better for you ?

• Now we can sit down and do some comparsions on $5 level:

Linode:

Pros: Good CPU(I remember it was the best one), largest RAM, IO decent, large disk space, network good (we will see)

Cons: No DDoS protection, hacked multiple times

Digitalocean:

Pros: Cheap coupons, don't really care about traffic (only when your instance is of top 10% of traffic, regardless of type), fast deploy, large disk size, Toronto datacenter

Cons: poorest CPU (not far from Linode though), network oversell, smallest RAM

Vultr:

Pros: BGP announcement, not so expensive after credit match, reasonable network, my personal love

Cons: small disk size, network blend sometimes poor, no attractive point to stay with (sorry)

Lightsail:

Pros: AWS brand!
    Mixed: I am having mixed outcome of network, CPU and IO performance. The best report says it is as good as Linode, while the worst report showing the network is limited for routing and IO sucks as for it is not even SSD.
    Cons: small ram, only one location, distro availability not acceptable (worse than some one-man summer hosts)

The only thing for sure is this shall be an nightmare for any other providers at this price range, unless they can do some exotic locations.

• If Ramnode goes into hourly billing it would be GOD tier among these 3 you mention @cnbeining . We might see that soon, after looking that indeed position they have listed, based on the qualifications they are asking for a developer, I'm pretty sure great things will come soon.

• cnbeining said: The only thing for sure is this shall be an nightmare for any other providers at this price range, unless they can do some exotic locations.

I don't see what makes these servers so compelling. They satisfy a niche that's fairly small, and are an ok deal for regular users. The small niche is wanting a small server temporarily due to the hourly billing, with a selection of geo locations. A buddy of mine has a SaaS product where you get a 24 hour free trial: he launches a $5/m DO droplet through the API, deploys his stuff on it, and spends about 17 cents on it if you don't convert. If you do convert, the droplet stays active and gets upgraded if you want a bigger plan.

If you just want small hourly VPS and aren't picky about location, OVH and Scaleway offer much more resources for the price. For high-ram hourly VPS or small dedis, Scaleway is way ahead right now. And for monthly, LET seems to be way ahead if you don't need an API. Is there a real preference for a small Linode over a BuyVM slice? I even have a couple of 512MB SSD KVM's from LET (ok, promos, but they happen) for $10 a year and they're working great. AWS spot instances have huge cheap compute power if you don't need predictable availability. For midsized to large monthly servers dedis are the way to go, etc. So I'm missing something here. My old place spent a fortune on AWS because that's where our customers were, but I never understood why.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@cnbeining said:

To be fair everyone oversells network on cloud servers, in the sense that the stated capacity is shared and not dedicated. Dedicated upstream is a rarity for VPS in general, assuming it even exists. You'd have to limit each VPS on the port or give each VPS its own dedicated NIC.

• So, that means they meet the $7 criteria and can post low-end offer here...

• Since Linode start hitting low end market, their ticket response time increased from 10 minutes to couple hours for a single reply. Not sure what will happen after they started $5 plan.

• msg7086 said:

Since Linode start hitting low end market, their ticket response time increased from 10 minutes to couple hours for a single reply.

Do you mean when they introduced the $10/mo plan? I think the lowest was $20/mo for a while before that, with AWS-like bandwidth pricing. I can see how the picture might change.

I didn't realize til being in the upscale industry for a while how astonishingly fast LET hosts respond to tickets. If you pay more it's slower, not faster.

• @jarland said:

@cnbeining said:

To be fair everyone oversells network on cloud servers, in the sense that the stated capacity is shared and not dedicated. Dedicated upstream is a rarity for VPS in general, assuming it even exists. You'd have to limit each VPS on the port or give each VPS its own dedicated NIC.

We are at LET so everyone would expect oversell: but some providers can do that while satisfying your need, while others oversell as fxxk or didn't do this the right way that it fails your request when you need the right power. Linode does not fail when I need the power once in a while: and that is all we want.

• Oh and maybe the most important thing Linode is bringing is cheap server at Japan. Absolutely not compatible.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited February 2017

@willie said:

Do you mean when they introduced the $10/mo plan? I think the lowest was $20/mo for a while before that, with AWS-like bandwidth pricing. I can see how the picture might change.

I didn't realize til being in the upscale industry for a while how astonishingly fast LET hosts respond to tickets. If you pay more it's slower, not faster.

Pretty much that's the time. See how much it has changed since then: (just pulled from my ticket archive)

Imgur

• @doughmanes said:
    How many times has Linode been hacked (including the theft of Bitcoin hot wallets which was suggested as an inside job?)

Was not aware of something like an internal job thing. Can you please link?

• @gongyi said:
    digitalocean, vultr, AmazonLightsail,linode, which one is better for you ?

I love dewlance try them (?)

• gongyi said:

They all allow excessive amounts of abuse, so I'd need a full list of their IP ranges to tell you which one is "better" (i.e., has the fewest entries in my firewall). I highly doubt any of them chasing even cheaper customers is going to improve the quality of their traffic.

edited February 2017

@impossiblystupid said:

gongyi said:

They all allow excessive amounts of abuse, so I'd need a full list of their IP ranges to tell you which one is "better" (i.e., has the fewest entries in my firewall). I highly doubt any of them chasing even cheaper customers is going to improve the quality of their traffic.

It's not so much "allow" as it is frequently targeted by abusers because anyone can spin up a server without delay, for minimal cost. Abusers would of course flock to such things.

Prevention is a constant uphill battle. You never win it, at best you get a break for lunch. God forbid a couple of people are sick one day too, everyone thinks you ignore abuse reports because you don't take down content on request within the hour :P

• @jarland said:
    It's not so much "allow" as it is frequently targeted by abusers because anyone can spin up a server without delay, for minimal cost. Abusers would of course flock to such things.

That's even worse. By your measure, they've made enabling abusers their business plan. That's not a network neighborhood I'd want to be part of.

Prevention is a constant uphill battle.

I don't even care about prevention. I just want to be compensated for the effort I have to go to in policing their crappy business model.

edited February 2017

impossiblystupid said: By your measure, they've made enabling abusers their business plan

By your measure so have computer manufacturer's and upstream providers, merely by their existence. So have rubber glove manufacturer's enabled murder (because now they don't have to leave fingerprints). That's absurd. Those with evil intentions will always find a tool. Getting rid of all tools is not a valid solution.

• jarland said:

By your measure so have computer manufacturer's and upstream providers, merely by their existence.

I think the idea was that Linode was quite expensive compared to LET hosts: costing more was a downside, but an upside was that the higher price of admission kept (some) abusers away. Now they've gotten rid of the upside while still offering just a me-too product to LET users.

edited February 2017

willie said: but an upside was that the higher price of admission kept (some) abusers away

Doubt it. Spammers are known to pay good money for IPs to ruin. Allowing people to provision their own servers makes their lives easier, but if you don't allow it at low cost they'll pay the higher price all the same. Customers want what they want, and you can't just withhold progress on the internet and in the hosting industry purely because abuse exists. It will always be a thing we all battle.

• And to make @impossiblystupid argument invalid... Linode is known for allowing customer to test plans for free for a few hours... So... yeh, do the math.