Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode introduces $5 instances - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode introduces $5 instances

Comments

• Linode vs DigitalOcean vs Vultr for $5/month KVM VPS plan benchmark comparison results are in https://community.centminmod.com/threads/10437/

enjoy :)

Thanked by 1willie
  • @trewq said:

@Nekki said:

@trewq said:

@Nekki said:

@willie said:

I didn't realize til being in the upscale industry for a while how astonishingly fast LET hosts respond to tickets. If you pay more it's slower, not faster.

Perhaps the problem is that you're not paying enough?

MS respond to most of my Azure tickets in less than 5 minutes, Rackspace are onto virtually everything in less than 15.

We've had a ticket open with rackspace for about 3 years now... We bump it every year or so and ask for an update and they reply they're working on it.

No way we'd let that stand.

We've already moved all our infrastructure off, at this stage it's a pet project to see how long I can keep it running. It's just a yes or no answer from someone in their legal department...

Ah right....legal's a different matter, that would be our lawyers talking direct to theirs, wouldn't mess about with tickets there.

• @eva2000 said:
    Linode vs DigitalOcean vs Vultr for $5/month KVM VPS plan benchmark comparison results are in https://community.centminmod.com/threads/10437/

enjoy :)

tldr: Linode can compete with Vultr, Digitalocean sucks.

• tr1cky said: tldr: Linode can compete with Vultr, Digitalocean sucks.

pretty much.. DO needs faster clocked cpus :)

• @Nekki said:

@trewq said:

@Nekki said:

@trewq said:

@Nekki said:

@willie said:

I didn't realize til being in the upscale industry for a while how astonishingly fast LET hosts respond to tickets. If you pay more it's slower, not faster.

Perhaps the problem is that you're not paying enough?

MS respond to most of my Azure tickets in less than 5 minutes, Rackspace are onto virtually everything in less than 15.

We've had a ticket open with rackspace for about 3 years now... We bump it every year or so and ask for an update and they reply they're working on it.

No way we'd let that stand.

We've already moved all our infrastructure off, at this stage it's a pet project to see how long I can keep it running. It's just a yes or no answer from someone in their legal department...

Ah right....legal's a different matter, that would be our lawyers talking direct to theirs, wouldn't mess about with tickets there.

Still, after 3 years you'd think one of those support people would've sent an email to their manager/legal department to push this forward somewhat?

It's probably already being referred to internally as "The Ancient Ticket".

• sibapersibaper Member
    edited February 2017

Remember to test Linode using their IPv4 only.

Comparison :
    Linode SG to DO IPv4

--2017-02-15 19:35:07--  http://speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com/100mb.test
    Resolving speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com (speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com)... 104.236.129.165
    Connecting to speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com (speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com)|104.236.129.165|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [text/plain]
    Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

/dev/null                                 100%[=======================================================================================>] 100.00M  14.7MB/s   in 7.9s   

2017-02-15 19:35:16 (12.6 MB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [104857600/104857600]

Linode SG to DO IPv6

--2017-02-15 19:36:43--  http://speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com/100mb.test
    Resolving speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com (speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com)... 2604:a880:1:20::dd8:3001, 104.236.129.165
    Connecting to speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com (speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com)|2604:a880:1:20::dd8:3001|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [text/plain]
    Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

/dev/null                                  12%[==========>                                                                             ]  12.53M  55.3KB/s   eta 12m 36s^C

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2017

sibaper said: Remember to test Linode using their IPv4 only.

Why? To voluntarily overlook that their IPv6 is apparently crap?

I'd say on the contrary, remember to also check IPv6 actually works fine, which in this case it doesn't.

Anyways is this in Singapore by any chance? I've seen 30% packet loss on IPv6 from some locations to Linode Singapore earlier today.

Thanked by 1sin
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

@cnbeining said:
    Now we can sit down and do some comparsions on $5 level:

Linode:

Pros: Good CPU(I remember it was the best one), largest RAM, IO decent, large disk space, network good (we will see)

Cons: No DDoS protection, hacked multiple times

Digitalocean:

Pros: Cheap coupons, don't really care about traffic (only when your instance is of top 10% of traffic, regardless of type), fast deploy, large disk size, Toronto datacenter

Cons: poorest CPU (not far from Linode though), network oversell, smallest RAM

Vultr:

Pros: BGP announcement, not so expensive after credit match, reasonable network, my personal love

Cons: small disk size, network blend sometimes poor, no attractive point to stay with (sorry)

Lightsail:

Pros: AWS brand!
    Mixed: I am having mixed outcome of network, CPU and IO performance. The best report says it is as good as Linode, while the worst report showing the network is limited for routing and IO sucks as for it is not even SSD.
    Cons: small ram, only one location, distro availability not acceptable (worse than some one-man summer hosts)

The only thing for sure is this shall be an nightmare for any other providers at this price range, unless they can do some exotic locations.

Personally I've found DigitalOceans network to be far superior to Choopas in most locations. DigitalOceans BLR is definately their weakest. Although no region is 100% trouble free all the time (recently I've seen some troubling issues in AMS2 for example).

Choopa is pretty bad in NYC & Chicago, historically in Dallas and L.A too. Of course all are probably "acceptable" but I digress.

Vultr's big win is the extra ram, and sometimes better CPUs (like DO it's pot luck) for those of us who scale out to hundreds of $5 instances - its an extra 50% :)

AWS is usually low performing, but reliable. And you pay, big $$$$ for that.

Source: 20 odd Vultr VMs, 60 odd DO VMs, currently 3 AWS VMs (not lightsail)

• I'ts Singapore dc.

I dont care about IPv6. So please complaint to Linode

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

cnbeining said: Vultr:

Pros: BGP announcement, not so expensive after credit match, reasonable network, my personal love

OpenBSD support :-)

And wow does Linode ipv6 suck. Ended up disabled it because apt-get update (not even upgrade!) would time out. Completed in seconds with ipv4-only.

Thanked by 2vimalware sin
  • wishes do come true

• @raindog308 said:

cnbeining said: Vultr:

OpenBSD support :-)

And wow does Linode ipv6 suck. Ended up disabled it because apt-get update (not even upgrade!) would time out. Completed in seconds with ipv4-only.

Happened on me.

So last night I resized the disk and changed my plan to the $5 one from $10. Nginx was panic for not able to detect IPv6 after the reboot...didn't really figure out why. Became normal after a manual restart of service.

• @jarland said:
    By your measure so have computer manufacturer's and upstream providers, merely by their existence.

No. It's not their "existence" that is a problem, it is their abuse. It is their further use of innocent customers as human shields that make these larger providers even more reprehensible. And, yeah, upstream providers are in the wrong if they allow an attacker to execute a DDoS, and your computer/device choice is garbage if it easily allows someone to screw with your data and/or become part of a botnet.

So have rubber glove manufacturer's enabled murder (because now they don't have to leave fingerprints). That's absurd.

Yes, your straw man is absurd. You look foolish for constructing it.

Those with evil intentions will always find a tool. Getting rid of all tools is not a valid solution.

Then it's a good thing I didn't come anywhere close to suggesting that.

• @impossiblystupid said:

@jarland said:
    By your measure so have computer manufacturer's and upstream providers, merely by their existence.

No. It's not their "existence" that is a problem, it is their abuse. It is their further use of innocent customers as human shields that make these larger providers even more reprehensible. And, yeah, upstream providers are in the wrong if they allow an attacker to execute a DDoS, and your computer/device choice is garbage if it easily allows someone to screw with your data and/or become part of a botnet.

I fully agree. Both for technical and for social reasons. It is them whose networks is critical and early on in the path of DDOS. It is them who could and should (be forced to) filter out attacks.

• These new offers are more then welcome. I have been using their services for now a year, and I am pretty satisfited with them. Currently I have two boxes at them. Thanks for the post, now I created a new $5 price VPS. It comes with really good capabilites. It is now cheaper then Dropbox. I like it.

For the DDoS protection: you can buy ovh's cheap VPS, and route your desired ports with GRE tunnel. You can find a tutorial written on BuyVM blog.

• @eva2000 thanks for the effort. That's some nice detailed report.

-
    Hey look another LET thread being derailed... by "experts".

• @eva2000 BTW I just made a small donation to you. Appreciate your effort.

• @Hxxx said:
    @eva2000 thanks for the effort. That's some nice detailed report.

You're welcome, I always benchmark new VPS plans that come out so I know what's best for my Centmin Mod users and myself :)

@Hxxx said:
    @eva2000 BTW I just made a small donation to you. Appreciate your effort.

Much appreciated ^_^

• LeeLee Veteran

In a way I am kinda sad, the $10 entry barrier kept a lot of the less desirables away. However I am looking forward to all the "WTF, Linode suspended me for some BS reason" threads..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

impossiblystupid said: Then it's a good thing I didn't come anywhere close to suggesting that.

Well if not prevention, addressing it reactively, or getting rid of the tools used, how exactly do you propose that a company fall off of your "responsible for abuse" list?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2017

jarland said: how exactly do you propose that a company fall off of your "responsible for abuse" list?

I already told him some time ago: block those pesky criminals at 0.0.0.0/0
    The simple solutions are always the best, see brexit, trump and the like.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Do you see these kind of threads for lightsails , DO or Vultr?

@Lee said:
    In a way I am kinda sad, the $10 entry barrier kept a lot of the less desirables away. However I am looking forward to all the "WTF, Linode suspended me for some BS reason" threads..

• Fucking hell, @Lee and Mao back in the same week.

• LeeLee Veteran

Maounique said: The simple solutions are always the best, see brexit, trump and the like.

What in the actual fuck are you smoking this week...

• LeeLee Veteran

Nekki said: Fucking hell, @Lee and Mao back in the same week.

It's all going to end in Romanian tears, he always cries first.

• @Lee said:

[Maounique said]...

What in the actual fuck are you smoking this week...

Something that makes him introduce politics (if one wants to generously call "politics" the us-american democracy and government simulation).

I've seen quite reputable and good technical forums all but going down and driving away the clientele they earned throughout the years by not brutally censoring any clinton/trump related debates.

Thanked by 1Lee

Lee said: What in the actual fuck are you smoking this week...

Been busy lately:

http://scd.france24.com/en/files/element_multimedia/image/romania-overview-1_1.jpg
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38882575

But now I have a bit of time.

• LeeLee Veteran

Maounique said: But now I have a bit of time.

You dirty protestor you! :P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

bsdguy said: I've seen quite reputable and good technical forums all but going down and driving away the clientele they earned throughout the years by not brutally censoring any clinton/trump related debates.

We keep them to a specific place:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2527/the-cest-pit

The reality is that a lot of us come here to have something different. If you want political debates there seems to be absolutely no shortage of places to have them. In fact, I'd venture to say that just about every venue on the internet has become overrun with political discussion to some degree unless that venue tries hard to contain it.

It's not particularly about censoring but about keeping things civil, knowing that we're all capable of finding endless places to discuss it and even one place here to discuss it. Should the internet at large truly begin to censor political debate I imagine we'd all look differently on it taking place here, and begin to consider it more of a safe haven for it.

edited February 2017

That was not about politics, is about a way of thinking, impossiblystupid thinks like those people that isolationism, living in your "safe" space is the answer to all evils in the world. Barricade the windows, doors, keep everyone out, so no disease, ideas, smell or something will come in. Our inbreeding, bigotry and farts are much better.
    His answer to everything is block the /8, like the 185... one, well, i'll expand that, block 0.0.0.0/0, disable IPv6, allow only your IPs and you no longer have to worry about anything (more or less).
    I keep hoping I will not have to explain my jokes, but there are always blondes around.

A guy is having a drink in a very dark bar. He leans over to the big woman next to him and says: "Do you want to hear a funny blonde joke?"

The big woman replies: "Well, before you tell me that joke, you should know something. I'm blonde, six feet tall, 210 pounds, and I'm a professional athlete and bodybuilder. Also, the blonde woman sitting next to me is 6'2", weighs 220 pounds and is an ex-professional wrestler. And next to her is a blonde who is 6'5", weighs 245 pounds, and she is a current professional kickboxer. Now, do you still want to tell me that blonde joke?"

The guy thinks about it a second and says: "Nah, not if I'm gonna have to explain it three times."

Thanked by 3Hxxx lazyt datanoise