Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

URPad support Odyssey
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

URPad support Odyssey

nerouxneroux Member
edited May 2013 in Reviews

I am usually not the big reviewer but my recent experience with URPad should be written down for future generations ;)

Generally, as long as everything is working, everything is - surprisingly and/or naturally ;) - working. Since I signed up with them there were a couple of "minor" issues which always took a while and a fair share of explanation to get resolved, but eventually they got resolved.

My newest encounter however is worth sharing. I am renting a VPS in their Buffalo DC and this week it suddenly started to show intermittently a significant packet loss. Intermittently I have to stress. I opened a ticket, received a response relatively quickly stating it was fixed and so I thought this was resolved. I was wrong.

After a few hours the issue resurfaced and I contacted their support again. At this very moment the issue is still unresolved and the machine becomes regularly unreachable. The support confirmed it has something to do with a mysterious "traffic spike" somewhere and the machine in question would be taken offline, which still has not happened. Every attempt to enquiry about a status update is then however interestingly enough answered with a "we dont know anything, we can reach the machine, check your settings" - this response was given five times so far.

URPad might have very tempting packages (especially when they run promos) but the support is simply incompetent (pardon this particularly harsh wording, but the summary of the given responses cannot be described differently).

I am afraid to say with this experience URPad dropped from my list of providers I would even remotely recommend. If someone nonetheless chooses to use them, at least avoid their data center in Los Angeles and - apparently as of recently - Buffalo. LA generally performed extremely poor from my experience, Buffalo is more stable but I wouldnt trust it either with the recent events.

Comments

• NickONickO Member
    edited May 2013

Maybe provide a support ticket I'd and I'm sure @MannDude will look into it.

• nerouxneroux Member

@Jack said: That's Colocrossing's DC which hosts this forum so inb4 this gets deleted.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say.

@NickO said: Maybe provide a support ticket I'd and I'm sure @CurtisMann will look into it.

The support ticket already reached Jason Kaminsky. I doubt higher in the hierarchy is possible ;)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2013

Never heard of Jason Kaminsky.

Do you have proof that you are a client of urpad? Seems as though you just signed up today to write this.

• seriesnseriesn Member

Let me get this straight, the only reson you signed up here was to post reviews?

• nerouxneroux Member

Jason Kaminsky's title is Vice President of Support, apparently at RootLevel

• NickONickO Member
    edited May 2013

Well as someone has said, it's in ColoCrossing's DC. @CVPS_Chris would be your man.

Personally I have never witnessed anything above mediocre network performance out of CC racks and more often than not under average performance. However, it sounds to me as though this may be a bit related to your own internet if they were unable to reproduce your issues.

• nerouxneroux Member

@NickO said: We'll as someone has said, it's in ColoCrossing's DC. @CVPS_Chris would be your man.

I am still not quite sure what I should do with this information. If this is the Chris I think it is then he is a former employee of URPad. Is it this Chris?

• nerouxneroux Member

@Jack said: I've got a few VMs in Buffalo and no issues have been seen from my side, so it looks isolated to the rack that URPad's in.

This is something I cannot comment on.

@jarland said: Personally I have never witnessed anything above mediocre network performance out of CC racks and more often than not under average performance. However, it sounds to me as though this may be a bit related to your own internet if they were unable to reproduce your issues.

Have you read my posting? They confirmed it, just then "forgot" they did and so on. Even their DC in Dallas showed the same result

• nerouxneroux Member

@Jack said: No.

Then I dont know who you mean, or how he would be related.

edited May 2013

Your original post said a traffic spike in the system in question, now you're saying the issue was hitting Dallas at the exact same time? Why were you watching Dallas if you're in Buffalo? I'm just trying to get a picture here.

• nerouxneroux Member

@jarland said: Your original post said a traffic spike in the system in question, now you're saying the issue was hitting Dallas at the exact same time? Why were you watching Dallas if you're in Buffalo? I'm just trying to get a picture here.

Bad wording from my side. I could confirm the issue FROM Dallas.

• seriesnseriesn Member

Reading your comments and since URpad are not running their own network, I can clearly see this being an issue with Colo Crossing network issue rather than Urpad and the end action taken by CC will have impact on support ticket responce.

• NickONickO Member

@neroux, so... Is it Buffalo or Dallas?

• nerouxneroux Member

@NickO said: @neroux, so... Is it Buffalo or Dallas?

As I said ;), Buffalo

• seriesnseriesn Member

@NickO said: @neroux, so... Is it Buffalo or Dallas?

He only has Buffalo VPS from his review.

• NickONickO Member

@Zen sounds like you have a grudge against URPad?

@Zen Given recent accusations around here I'm a little suspicious of a new member signing up just to write this, and then quickly and calmly responding to my clear attempts to poke him to see if he gets riled up :P

Certainly I'm sure Curtis can shed some light on the issue.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

I have a full cabinet in Buffalo and have never had any problems at all. I like how everyone is jumping into conclusions and blaming the datacenter network, when in reality its most likely an issue with a URPad node (such as nf_conntrack values being full). I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know how to properly diagnose and fix this. I for one, can confirm I have not seen any problems with the Buffalo network myself.

• nerouxneroux Member

@CVPS_Chris said: I like how everyone is jumping into conclusions and blaming the datacenter network, when in reality its most likely an issue with a URPad node (such as nf_conntrack values being full).

If this is in response to my posting, I never blamed the DC. I can only share my observations and what URPad told me.

Where the problem exactly is, I dont know. The fact is there is significant packet loss.

• Mind giving us a traceroute then? or the IP? Since when have you had the service?

@CVPS_Chris @Zen

No offense but both of you are way too defensive on this. Guy signs up just to post a bad review, he's gonna get some questioning. Welcome to the internet. Coffee is in the first room on the left.

• @jarland said: Coffee is in the first room on the left.

Damnit, I have been bringing my own all that time :(

• There wouldn't happen to be any popcorn in there too, would there? I seem to have run out of Popcorn.

• NickONickO Member

@Magiobiwan said: There wouldn't happen to be any popcorn in there too, would there? I seem to have run out of Popcorn.

Isle 7, half way down and on your right.

• BK_BK_ Member

@Magiobiwan Here's a map for you. Just as @NickO says, Isle 7 on your right.

• yomeroyomero Member

I thought this week had enough drama... But this never ends.

What I've learned, I won't touch all the providers mentioned here in my life

• @neroux said: I am usually not the big reviewer but my recent experience with URPad should be written down for future generations ;)

Generally, as long as everything is working, everything is - surprisingly and/or naturally ;) - working. Since I signed up with them there were a couple of "minor" issues which always took a while and a fair share of explanation to get resolved, but eventually they got resolved.

My newest encounter however is worth sharing. I am renting a VPS in their Buffalo DC and this week it suddenly started to show intermittently a significant packet loss. Intermittently I have to stress. I opened a ticket, received a response relatively quickly stating it was fixed and so I thought this was resolved. I was wrong.

After a few hours the issue resurfaced and I contacted their support again. At this very moment the issue is still unresolved and the machine becomes regularly unreachable. The support confirmed it has something to do with a mysterious "traffic spike" somewhere and the machine in question would be taken offline, which still has not happened. Every attempt to enquiry about a status update is then however interestingly enough answered with a "we dont know anything, we can reach the machine, check your settings" - this response was given five times so far.

URPad might have very tempting packages (especially when they run promos) but the support is simply incompetent (pardon this particularly harsh wording, but the summary of the given responses cannot be described differently).

I am afraid to say with this experience URPad dropped from my list of providers I would even remotely recommend. If someone nonetheless chooses to use them, at least avoid their data center in Los Angeles and - apparently as of recently - Buffalo. LA generally performed extremely poor from my experience, Buffalo is more stable but I wouldnt trust it either with the recent events.

Hi there Neroux,

May I know your ticket number so that I may look into this?

I can certainly understand your frustration, as I'd share the same feelings if I was unable to reach a VPS mine as well. I'm not seeing other reports of this from our other Buffalo based customers, but I'd like to be able to investigate this more.

Both our Buffalo location and LA location is with Colocrossing, so I will see what tickets we have open with them in regards to the poor network performance you've been experiencing or have experienced in these two locations.

All the best,

• NewEyeNewEye Member

Here is my experience with urpad:
    Review URPad.net - don't even give them a try!
    I'd like share my experience with urpad.net.
    1. 2 of 5 locations can't be used.
    Can't create Iceland node:
    No free nodes found in node group!

Kansas node started and stopped at once:
    Memory Usage 0 of 0 Used / 0 Free

OK, they can fix it. But what do you think? You feel them are not professional. Show their clients big errors on the first setup!

1. Slow account setup. I paid and got invioce but 12 hours later nothing happend. I chatted online and fogot by sale. Here they are:
      (12:25:58) I: account pending
      (12:26:02) *** Nick joined the chat ***
      (12:26:07) Nick: Hi, let me check for you.
      (12:43:14) I: What's wrong?
      (12:43:41) Nick: Sorry, I thought I had already responded.

2. Terrible security. Login with your dash board without https protection.
      This board is for billing only:
      https://billing.urpad.net
      You login here to control your virtual machine. It doesn't have HTTPS!
      http://control.dzfav.net

3. They promise 30 days money back on the front page. Don't believe it. There is no refund even you ask within 24 hours.

You believe it or not. Try search urpad's man with id FTN-Chris in webhostingtalk.com. You can find out how great a fireman FTN-Chris is - put out fire everywhere.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?searchid=45625863

I buy my experience with $49.95: don't even give urpad.net a try!

edited May 2013

So now we have two signups purely to post negative reviews about urpad. Then they disappear when asked for a ticket number. Anyone unclear about what's happening here now? I can only name one person here who has recently expressed passionate hatred for urpad. I don't have a problem with the guy, but if its him then he should know this is childish and it undermines the value of this site INCLUDING its potential future ad revenue.

This discussion has been closed.