Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

URPad sold? - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

URPad sold?

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited May 2013

To be honest I just logged into urpad and I have never seen their site run so fast, I can usually go and do something else whilst I wait for the panel to come up.

• LAKidLAKid Member

@MannDude Will you be able to refund if asked for yearly billing customers?
    What's the position on that from the new owner?

• LeeLee Veteran

@LAKid - why would you be entitled to a refund?

• LAKidLAKid Member

@W1V_Lee who said "entitled"?

• seriesnseriesn Member

@LAKid said: @MannDude Will you be able to refund if asked for yearly billing customers?

From their TOS, no refund for vps clients.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited May 2013

Oh nvm, I just realized you're the screaming "Kid".

• PatsPats Member

dun like the face of the new owner?

• LAKidLAKid Member

@Pats I know the guy.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited May 2013

If this means new management for URPad itself... hooray. My problem with URPad has always been that, as helpful as MannDude tries to be, it seems like he has no real power to do anything and once a ticket gets escalated to management it usually gets ignored entirely or, if you're lucky, takes a week or two to get a response.

• MunMun Member

@Dylan said: If this means new management... thank god. My problem with URPad has always been that, as helpful as MannDude tries to be, it seems like he has no real power to do anything and once a ticket gets escalated to management it usually gets ignored entirely or, if you're lucky, takes a week or two to get a response.

Find a new host, may I suggest places like @buyvm ~@Francisco and or @bluevm. I mean there is plenty to chose from in this market so you can quickly jump to other spots.

I have had great times with:
    Catalyst @Jarland @halfeatenpie
    NinjaHawk
    Bluevm
    Ramnode

Don't settle, find a provider you like and have fun :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Mun said: Don't settle, find a provider you like and have fun :)

If you paid for a year (like I did) and there is no refund, at least for a while, i will stick around to see. And, no, I dont feel like i cant find enough good providers around :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2013

I get a strong feeling that urpad customers are in for a treat as far as service quality goes. Nothing against Chris, but he knows he wasn't getting a lot of rave reviews.

I'll also bet you don't get those crazy good promos again if you cancel so hang on for a bit.

• @jarland said: I'll also bet you don't get those crazy good promos again if you cancel so hang on for a bit.

I haven't purchased a single VPS from URPad in a long time.

• MunMun Member

@jarland if you sold Catalysthost, I would cancel my VM and find a new provider, just like what I would do with many of the other providers here if they sold the company. You build a trust with these people, and when they are gone, so is by all regards the service you entrusted them with. In many cases sales go for the better or for the worse. Up2VPS sale to lowendvps or something didn't go well at all, and I canceled. I guess I'm trying to say that some of us here not only buy for the service, but also because we feel like said person is a benefit.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2013

@Mun Yeah but did you really buy it to work with Chris Miller? I don't see that urpad has had a stellar reputation and therefore clients are likely results of a combination of location need, price, or just the result of not shopping around much. I don't mean it insultingly to anyone. I have a lot of clients who didn't shop around much and barely have a clue why they picked me other than right place at the right time.

Again, no disrespect to Chris, I doubt he cares right now and he knows I say what I think. It's not personal I just don't think he ran that tight of a ship and I don't think he ever sold himself as the product.

• MunMun Member

@jarland said: @Mun Yeah but did you really buy it to work with Chris Miller? I don't see that urpad has had a stellar reputation and therefore clients are likely results of a combination of location need, price, or just the result of not shopping around much. I don't mean it insultingly to anyone. I have a lot of clients who didn't shop around much and barely have a clue why they picked me other than right place at the right time.

Again, no disrespect to Chris, I doubt he cares right now. It's not personal I just don't think he ran that tight of a ship and I don't think he ever sold himself as the product.

I initially purchased urpad almost 2 years ago, I bought it because I needed VPSs and I didn't have very good places to look. I found lowendbox and it was on the deals. I didn't know better and was still searching for providers. At this time I also had CVPS. I found both weren't good for my needs so I canceled my services with them, or in urpads case got a TOS violation.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2013

I'm not talking about Catalyst, but many business ventures have Business plans, and sometimes selling the company is an Exit Strategy of the business plan. This applies to other businesses as well (many people start businesses to sell them to another company with more resources).

Honestly, if you pick your buyer right then your customers' experiences won't be negatively impacted but possibly enhanced.

For URPad, I see it as a great thing. I heard great things about the new owner and honestly I think it'll get better from now on.

Edit: Crap, conversation took a different direction. Meh I don't care. I'm lazy right now.

• nutjobnutjob Member

@LAKid said: Will you be able to refund if asked for yearly billing customers?

OMG! I paid for a year! What will I do now?!?

@MannDude said: Seriously though, this is a great thing for URPad.

Damn shame, I really like the VPS plan I have with URPad, now I'm going to have to cancel. But can someone tell me why I have to cancel exactly?

• MunMun Member

@nutjob said: Damn shame, I really like the VPS plan I have with URPad, now I'm going to have to cancel. But can someone tell me why I have to cancel exactly?

You don't.

• grayfuzgrayfuz Member

what will happen to urpads current clients?

• MunMun Member

@grayfuz said: what will happen to urpads current clients?

Nothing, they are going to stay there with there VPSs. Just a change of the owner is all that is happening.

• NickONickO Member

@grayfuz said: what will happen to urpads current clients?

Have you read a single thing?

URPad === URPad. It's just owned by someone else. I don't see what the big deal is here?

• DylanDylan Member

@Mun said: Find a new host, may I suggest places like @buyvm ~@Francisco and or @bluevm

I have multiple VPSs and my personal preferences lie with Ramnode, Prometeus, and Hostigation. But like Maounique, I paid for a year with URPad so I might as well use it while I have it.

edited May 2013

@Dylan said: But like Maounique, I paid for a year with URPad so I might as well use it while I have it.

Yes, but there is a limit to what I would put up with, if they start changing IPs, moving me around, having downtime caused by said movements, I will insist to be refunded or pull a chargeback.
    Therefore, it should be better to have a decent policy here, be open about things, what is in store for us, while I have no production app there, some other ppl might.
    Saying we dont refund no matter what is nonsense in this case.

• NickONickO Member

@Maounique, so if my promoteus vps goes down I'll do a charge back because technology must always be perfect.

edited May 2013

@NickO said: @Maounique, so if my promoteus vps goes down I'll do a charge back because technology must always be perfect.

There is one thing to have regular downtime when a raid fails or a DDoS happens, or some ovz decides to reboot and another to have it because the company was bought and they are shuffling things around changing IPs and datacenters to reduce costs.
    In the first case it is expected, this is why you didnt buy a HA solution as you dont need perfect uptime which comes with a price, int he second that is not expected, neither my fault, therefore the regular we dont refund policy should not apply. I knew there is no refund when I signed up, but that contract is void since one party disappeared and the original conditions dont apply anymore.
    Besides, we refund upon request if the VPS malfunctions...

• nutjobnutjob Member
    edited May 2013

@NickO said: URPad === URPad. It's just owned by someone else. I don't see what the big deal is here?

This is LET, so everything that happens with a vendor triggers an avalanche of petty sniping and bickering.

@Maounique said: I signed up, but that contract is void since one party disappeared and the original conditions dont apply anymore.

Guess again law genius: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assignment_(law)

"The common law favors the freedom of assignment, so an assignment will generally be permitted unless there is an express prohibition against assignment in the contract. Where assignment is thus permitted, the assignor need not consult the other party to the contract."

I'm sure vendors such as URPad writing their own terms make sure to go out of their way to remove their ability to sell their business. Oy...

• grayfuzgrayfuz Member

thanks guys.. i started to worry when i read this thread.. i had a bad experience with change of ownership.

edited May 2013

@nutjob said: need not consult the other party to the contract

There is one thing to consult and another to fulfill the contract. I expect to have the same conditions.
    They can, of course, say that the contract says they can terminate anytime without reason or refund, but it will be void in court if anyone will sue. Same for moving from KVM to OVZ without moving the data too, to reprovision whenever they like saying they dont offer back-ups, to change IP, change memory allocation, move everyone on one overcrowded server, of course, that is possible and has been done in the past, the provider rulz.
    At least here, in Europe, such clauses are illegal, maybe americans are used to pay for something and not get it because the fine print says the vendor does not have to deliver if this pleases them. No wonder lawyers are rich there, if the laws permit such clauses :)

• rds100rds100 Member

Guys, you are missing the point here. The most important question remains - what happens with the pocket lamps now? ;-)

This discussion has been closed.