Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Special Deals - From 6.99 € - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Special Deals - From 6.99 €

Comments

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited January 2017

I did just receive their email announcing the sale.

Better late than never I guess...

@bene_online : you can check @xrz @exiust posts on this page: Seems like some people had their order cancelled after/because online gave them faulty hardware. (?)

@Junkless is your problem fixed?

• @datanoise said:
    @Junkless is your problem fixed?

Nope...still waiting (stuck on the same "Server locked (Maintenance)" ) status for the last 7 hours.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @bene_online said:
    @piohost Have you had any issue with our support?

yes, for one the fact that you only consider refunding french clients even though you sell worldwide that for one annoyed me, although I believe you are bound to EU law, however, I'm not gonna cry over 4 euros, other than that I have found that first response time is amazing I normally get a response in 10 - 20 minutes but responses after that seem to take hours

• damn that would be a really nice seedbox

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @piohost I have sent you a PM.

• @pbgben said:

NZ first, thats what I like to see.

Kiwiland

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

I had an account-related ticket that was handled without problems, so I clicked 5 stars for the handling quality. Then I was very surprised on closing the ticket, to see a pulldown asking if I wanted to tip the support tech (1 euro, 2 euro, etc. up to around 30 euro I think, to be added to next invoice). The default was 0 and it was (I think) an easy ticket, so I left it at 0.

I know that in US restaurants it's very bad not to tip so we usually do unless there's a bad problem, but I think EU is different, and I've never seen that for a tech support ticket anywhere else, including the US.

I guess I can get in the habit since I don't open many tickets and I know that support is hard work. It still seems weird though. I have no idea what is expected.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited January 2017

@willie i had servers with them before, opened like 100 tickets (network problems all days long), all was responded within 5-15 min. it was great, but sorry, i never send em "A TIP" why should i? to support the support, its their job.

• @xrz did you get the pulldown, and not tip? Or did you not get the pulldown?

There are times when I've gotten exceptional help from a support tech and would have been happy to tip, but I've never seen a pulldown like that, and I thought the US service model (usually just for restaurants and taxis) where tips are expected was considered distasteful in other parts of the world. In the US, waiters get paid very little by the restaurant, so tips are their real income; but in EU I thought that they get paid better salaries, so the restaurant bill is higher, from including what we (US) would pay as a tip.

Maybe it's an effort by Online to encourage the techs to be friendlier or something. Well ok, though it becomes an unexpected extra cost of the server. (This promo server was so cheap that I won't complain about an occasional small extra cost).

I've opened a number of tickets with Scaleway (part of Online) and never gotten that pulldown.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

Meanwhile I pushed around 40gb of files to the 750gb ftp backup area. The first 25gb or so went at almost the full 1gbps, like 90-120MB/s. But then it slowed down to around 12MB/s which sounds like a 100 mbit throttle.

Is that normal? Anyone seen that before?

• WSSWSS Member

Maybe you sould have tipped the person who handles throttling.

• WSS said: Maybe you sould have tipped the person who handles throttling.

Yeah I kind of wondered about that, lol.

• If you know what I mean :)

• WSSWSS Member

I'm not puttin' my lips on that.

• I could use a new plex/torrent box... but I can't afford any of the boxes that are left

Anyone want to split a box with me 3 ways? I'd handle the setup/maintenance :P

• @WSS said:

"Son, I'm dissapoint." You don't know Full Throttle :(

• vish said:

I could use a new plex/torrent box... but I can't afford any of the boxes that are left

Scaleway :)

• @willie said:

Scaleway :)

Can those do transcoding? I got about 4-5 1080p streams at peak

• vish said: Can those do transcoding? I got about 4-5 1080p streams at peak

I don't think you can do that many in real time on a single Scaleway server. You can probably do 2, maybe 3.

OTOH, Scaleway servers are billed hourly, so if you're only at peak a little bit of the time, you can spin up extra servers when you need them.

Thanked by 1vish
  • WSSWSS Member

@Yura said:

@WSS said:

I just QUOTED the game.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • I canceled 1701.1
    I had problems with HDD, Transmission lagged after 10mb/s+ download speed.

• @willie this sounds interesting, I'm going to see if there is a way to spawn a new server for every stream. this would be cool as shit

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@ethancedrik said:

@pbgben said:

NZ first, thats what I like to see.

Kiwiland

SheepLand

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

@Yura said:

@WSS said:

I just QUOTED the game.

EZHHEMS. I JUST LOST THE GAME, Ya bastard

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @WSS said:
    I just QUOTED the game.

Ha! No one sneaks up from me from behind!

• WSSWSS Member

@Yura The cake is a lie.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @willie said:
    @xrz did you get the pulldown, and not tip? Or did you not get the pulldown?

There are times when I've gotten exceptional help from a support tech and would have been happy to tip, but I've never seen a pulldown like that, and I thought the US service model (usually just for restaurants and taxis) where tips are expected was considered distasteful in other parts of the world. In the US, waiters get paid very little by the restaurant, so tips are their real income; but in EU I thought that they get paid better salaries, so the restaurant bill is higher, from including what we (US) would pay as a tip.

Maybe it's an effort by Online to encourage the techs to be friendlier or something. Well ok, though it becomes an unexpected extra cost of the server. (This promo server was so cheap that I won't complain about an occasional small extra cost).

I've opened a number of tickets with Scaleway (part of Online) and never gotten that pulldown.

It probably looks strange for some customers indeed (for whose tip are quite usual .. or not depending of your own culture/country of origin),
    in France, it's completely not an habit to give a tip, it's quite rare here actually (even more for online services, I am not sure it even exists elsewhere)

it actually started kind of joke internally (some big customers asking to be able to provide a few euros, pay a beer, offer cookies,... for our support guys),
    we considered it for a while and finally concluded that "hey if people wants to great the guys who tries to help we should not prevent it" , who would we be to prevent it ? could we really say to these customers "we don't want you to thank the guy who saved your business today" ? we believe we should not, in the end, it's nothing more than that (all the money goes to the support guy, every cent)

we have lots of support guys doing more than they are "contractually" asked to do,
    like working off-hours and doing much more than just following "processes of the job" to help people,
    we of course have our own way to evaluate and congratulate people working hard, but anything more should not be wasted
    So, in the end, of course it's not compulsary at all (like being seen as an "extra cost"), it's just one way for some people who wants it to show a specific gratitude to a specific person for their own personal reason, we did not want to interfere with that gratitude.

hope I am clear ;)

Mik

• bene_onlinebene_online Member
    edited January 2017

I agree with Mik :)

Thanked by 1mikmak
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2017

.. why not just convert that into "Customer Cash" where you can charge your workers inflated prices for mostly worthless items (and beer) for these client coins- Like they did on American game shows?!

• Tip? Different country, different culture, different perspective.
    It's considered as an insult here for those you gives them tip.