Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Special Deals - From 6.99 € - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Special Deals - From 6.99 €

Comments

• Meanwhile I found that the internal (RPN, "real private network") is non-existent on the Personal range servers, and 100Mb/s on the Start range unless you buy the expensive support package, which increases it to 1gbit. 100MBit isn't so great for SAN storage. On the Pro range the RPN speed is 1gbit/10gbit. I think WOPR is the same as Pro not not sure. There are some tempting Pro servers, heh.

• 35 mbyte/second average over the course of a month... Jesus. I guess OVH is the only one that would play ball with that. Does OVH even pay for their bandwidth considering they tolerate something like that on 10-20€ servers?

• OVH 10-20€ servers generally have 100mbit network ports.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited January 2017

be ready for heavy bandwidth usage for nice ticket that you need to slow down traffic or buy 79€ (thats without VAT!) higher traffic option ... btw if anyone cancel trieir limited server, will we be able to purchase it from their site lol? ^^

• @RXWatcher said:

yeah but again, online.net is saying in this case "Transfer is unlimited. There is no transfer limit but there is no guaranteed bandwidth either" so they shouldn't complain about 90TB.

If they called out a limit, I can totally see it..you cross the line of unacceptable usage then you should be called out..totally.

yeah, that's my problem with online.net too, i don't know if it's just some translation error shit or if they do this on purpose.
    they should draw a clear line on their offers, for example like 10 or 20TB on their low cost servers, 30-40TB on their midrange and 100TB on their high end, like Hetzner or Leaseweb.
    you can't write unlimited 1gbps all over your offer and write somewhere hidden far away *"fair usage" and interpret it like todays weather

that's why i always fall back to ovh, my kimi with atom and 2tb is as cheap as the cheapest offer here with VAT (which is never included, don't know if thats even allowed in france), but i can max the 100mbit the whole month without anyone rising an eyebrow, that's 30TB/month
    i still don't know if i keep it or not, i hope kimsufi gets avatons or something like that in the future, the old atoms are just too slow

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @hucken said:

i can max the 100mbit the whole month without anyone rising an eyebrow, that's 30TB/month

30TB is also perfect fair usage at online.net. I'm sure noone got kicked just by reaching this limit. The problem is with users who think they can purchase 10/20 euro servers just to seed over 100TB of data on torrents. This is way beyond fair usage on any dedicated server.

Thanked by 3Yura vimalware netomx
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2017

Alerts on Online.net platform are rising at bandwidth over 90-100TB for their cheap dedis. And it is perfectly understandable! All of my cheap servers with them came with a Gbit port (3 kidechires, 2 avotons, one D-1531). None of them with 100Mbit. And I enjoy great speeds to all of them. On fair basis!
    Just don't use the full speed continuously. If you trigger the port using full speed of 1Gbit for 1-2 days, then, probably you will get a notice. If you are trying to eat 200TB bandwidth in a month paying 10-20€ for a whole dedicated server, then you will probably be kicked out. And this is fair!
    Yes, the rules are somehow unclear. But this is not necessarily a bad thing. What would you prefer? A rule that says "in cheap range the allowed bandwidth is 5TB" or even "10TB" (this is the usual cap in cheap dedis from most of providers) or let this field unclear and allow transferring over 70-80TB per month? I, personally, prefer Online's way! And I am trying not do be a dick!
    It is really annoying that there are LET members that are trying to push the limits too far because of the grey area in their AUP, and then come here whining because Online.net didn't let them use x10 of traffic, compared with any other provider, paying peanuts...
    This is the golden rule: DON'T BE A DICK. And we all know when we are one...

• I would be really pissed if all this whining will lead to hard cap and make life worse for everyone.

Current Online.net's policy is ok for me. Want to be on safe side? Cap yourself to 50-100mbit/s and be done with it.

• 30TB is more than enough for 20Euros. even 10TB if it lets me use 500M for a few hours when no one else needs it.

• @vimalware said:
    30TB is more than enough for 20Euros. even 10TB if it lets me use 500M for a few hours when no one else needs it.

Well in this case I would prefer hetzner's serverboerse. They have 1gbps guaranteed speed with free inbound and 20-30Tb outbound on most offers. I my case their network has performed better than online's. Their support is also super fast and they have a nice 14day money back guarantee which online doesn't. So you don't have to yell at hetzner if something is wrong in stead of trying to reason with French professional Google translators. But hey, perhaps my experience with online was a 1%-er ;)

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • @Mathias said:
    Well in this case I would prefer hetzner's serverboerse. They have 1gbps guaranteed speed with free inbound and 20-30Tb outbound on most offers.

Hetzner is fine, however online.net deals were much better than servers currently listed at hetzner's auctions.

• @Cdoe said:

@Mathias said:
    Well in this case I would prefer hetzner's serverboerse. They have 1gbps guaranteed speed with free inbound and 20-30Tb outbound on most offers.

Hetzner is fine, however online.net deals were much better than servers currently listed at hetzner's auctions.

Well "much better" is perhaps a bit too exaggerated? Okay they were good. But hetzner offers i7 which almost have the same performance for most stuff with same amount of ram and storage but 24/7/365. Depending on the use of course, I doubt hetzner will like it when you get too much abuse from torrent stuff ;)

• didtavdidtav Member
    edited January 2017

@Cdoe said:

@Mathias said:

yeah, with their old and slow disk, you get what you have paid for.

-servers from hetzner's auction don't have guaranteed bandwidth, but still they are good. the server quality in my personal opinion is much better than online.net. online.net deals were cheaper than hetzner, that is what make it good .

-the only bad thing for me from online.net is their slow and old hdd. the network speed is comparable to hetzner in my opinion. other than the disk, they are good, i really like the price :D

again, it's just my opinion.

• didtavdidtav Member
    edited January 2017

double post, please delete

• Mathias said: I doubt hetzner will like it when you get too much abuse from torrent stuff ;)

isn't it the same with online? Law on the subject in FR seems quite though...

• CdoeCdoe Member
    edited January 2017

@didtav said:
    -the only bad thing for me from online.net is their slow and old hdd. the network speed is comparable to hetzner in my opinion. other than the disk, they are good, i really like the price :D

It's all about luck. Recently I've purchased server at auction - the first server had almost 60k hours in SMART's HDD.

The online's 20 euro looks like this:

Model Family: Toshiba 3.5" MG03ACAxxx(Y) Enterprise HDD
    Device Model: TOSHIBA MG03ACA200
    4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 12
    9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 097 096 000 Old_age Always - 1367

Both looks exactly the same.

And the benchmark:

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 145 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 148 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 144 MB/s
    Average I/O : 145.667 MB/s

Pretty decent. But I feel you, I gave up on my SSD deal, as it was too slow.

• How does XC DEALS 1701.2 perform with Proxmox or ESXi?
    Is it better to use the server with Ubuntu for example?

• Cdoe said: it was too slow.

Too slow as in can't handle the load you throw at it, or solely based on a bench?

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • I think I have XC 1701.1. Using proxmox and it doesn't seem any different in performance than plain debian.

• @datanoise said:
    Too slow as in can't handle the load you throw at it, or solely based on a bench?

Just bench, as I didn't measure IOPS. I bought it just because the 1TB deal was sold out and I was hoping for at least 250MB/s read/write in benchmark.

They are probably good for caching/database purposes. My SSD was pretty new too (~3TB of data written).

• The disk speeds seem to be a bit iffy between their pre made install choices compared to installing your own iso my own 1tb server was barely pulling 80 MB/s under CentOS but 195 MB/s on Server 16.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

How do you measure? I haven't noticed obvious speed problems on mine, but I've encountered a few weird pauses etc.

I've gotten slight buyers' remorse about my promo server. No problem using the box for a month or two but might cancel after that. It's 20 euro and for under 10 euro more I could get a comparable Hetzner box with 3x the disk space.

I also got the 650GB FTP add-on for 5 euro (might cancel just that) which comes to $8+ per TiB/mo which is ok but not great. Hetzner backup space is more flexible and is more like $5/TB in the 2TB+ containers (though much more in the smaller containers). Digicube.fr gets below 4 euro/TB though only in very large (5TB) sizes.

Online has a very cool product in NAS block storage at 10 euro/TB on their local ("RPN") net, but then it turns out the RPN for start-class servers is 100mbit unless you pay for the fancy support plan (35 euro/mo iirc). And it doesn't exist at all for the personal plans, so you can't pick up Atom servers and add them to your RPN. The RPN is 1Gbps in the Pro line and up (10Gbit if you pay extra), so it's more attractive with those larger servers.

The personal Atom servers were almost like jellybeans--gobble them up if you want small x86 dedis. But I think the bigger ones (Pro series and up) were the most interesting. The Start series were sort of like Hetzner offers at a slight cost savings.

I do like Online's management console better than Hetzners, and I have an idea of what they're working towards with Scaleway and I like what I think is happening. If the Online guys are still reading this, thanks very much for these promos! We all appreciate them a lot even though they're not always for everyone.

Thanked by 3jvnadr datanoise erkin
  • How does billing work? On sale I've paid the servers till end of January, today it's already February, but I don't have any invoices generated yet.

• I think the billing cycle runs from the 20th of each month to the next.
    @Cdoe: did you pay a prorated amount for January?

• I was invoiced prorated, when I bought the server on January 19. I later cancelled the ftp add-on and got several reminder emails saying it would expire on Feb 1 if I didn't uncancel it, and it did expire. I haven't gotten another invoice yet though.

• @Cdoe said:
    How does billing work? On sale I've paid the servers till end of January, today it's already February, but I don't have any invoices generated yet.

Invoices usually come between 1st-5th of the month.

Thanked by 2Yura Cdoe
  • Asked online support the same question, here's the answer:

Hello,

>

As you did set direct debit as payement method, you pay always with one month of delay.

>

Regards,

Thanked by 1Cdoe
  • Cdoe said: On sale I've paid the servers till end of January, today it's already February, but I don't have any invoices generated yet.

You won't get any invoices till the servers get paid automatically by the billing method you chose. Online.net charges at 2-3 every month, very rare to charge on the 1st.

saibal said: I think the billing cycle runs from the 20th of each month to the next

No. Billing is running from the 1st to the last day of the month. The 20th of a month is the limit to cancel the server for the next calendar month.

Thanked by 2saibal Cdoe
  • jvnadr said: No. Billing is running from the 1st to the last day of the month. The 20th of a month is the limit to cancel the server for the next calendar month.

Bingo. I remembered the date, messed up what it was for. Need more sleep :P

• Did someone has seen some machines being made available at the beginning of the month - or did all the cancelled servers wend directly to oneprovider's pool (or God knows where..)?

I think the latter but maybe there have been some released again?