Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Special Deals - From 6.99 € - Page 16
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Special Deals - From 6.99 €

Comments

• Saragoldfarb said: Whenever stuff breaks you're fucked. Never had these issues on their regular offerings though.

Isn't support the same for both regular & specials offers?

So far the support has been pretty good for me, while my servers are mostly specials.

• @Yura said:

@webbox said:
    Does online.net still require photographic ID?

I'm a new customer. They didn't ask mine.

I've just been searching and it seems some are still asked for utility bills/photo ID.
    Maybe it depends on the users location and/or something at their end.

Thanks for your response.

• @datanoise said:

Saragoldfarb said: Whenever stuff breaks you're fucked. Never had these issues on their regular offerings though.

Isn't support the same for both regular & specials offers?

So far the support has been pretty good for me, while my servers are mostly specials.

True. Their support is great. They have always been very quick and responsive whenever I needed something to be taken care of. The only big wait I ever had was when I requested a large subnet. What bothers me though is that they are not always able to replace a broken server from a limited special. I can get that when you're selling these cheap kedichires but for any other decent offering it shouldn't be too hard to replace it with something alike. Apart from that I like online a lot.

Thanked by 2datanoise Rolter
  • I wasn't asked for photo id. I was asked for SMS confirmation and did that though.

• Welp, one of the hdds in my 1701.1 LT box died it seems. Reinstall seems to be stuck halfway through.

Hope they can replace the hdd, it's a great server for the price.

• RXWatcherRXWatcher Member
    edited January 2017

can someone from online.net please comment on the "Transfer is unlimited. There is no transfer limit but there is no guaranteed bandwidth either"?. In online.net's eyes what does this mean? In the past online.net's definition of guaranteed bandwidth has been that you can burst past the guaranteed limit but on average you need to keep it below that guaranteed bandwidth which seems counter intuitive from the customer view where you'd expect the guaranteed bandwidth to be the minimum you'd expect to get. I realize that from a vendor position that 1gbps full would be unrealistic given the prices. I'm not saying otherwise. I'm just trying to understand the statement about that transfer is unlimited but the bandwidth isn't guaranteed. I read this statement as the speeds will vary as in a shared port but you wont tell me that I'm going over my guaranteed bandwidth and need to throttle the server since the transfer is unlimited.

I just want to properly understand the rules in order to stay within them.

Thank you!

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

It means your transfer speed can slow down to a dribble but you can use as much of the dribble as you want.

They also have "premium" bandwidth available at 70 euro per server, that's supposed to not dribble.

I guess I've heard of people getting alerted about overuse in some old threads, but I'd hope you'd get a chance to fix any problems before being suspended. I've also heard of people serving dozens (100s?) of TB per month.

• @willie said:
    It means your transfer speed can slow down to a dribble but you can use as much of the dribble as you want.

They also have "premium" bandwidth available at $70 per server, that's supposed to not dribble.

Agreed but are they going to call me out if I use more than that dribble? In the past it's been this hidden(not listed when you purchased the server) '100mbps' guaranteed bandwidth limit on the limited boxes that they would call you on if you sustained beyond that. Here they are telling us that there is no transfer limit and no guaranteed limit..thus I' confused.

I'm trying to understand at what point they will get upset with me for using too much bandwidth. If there was a hard number on transfer or a hard number on the bandwidth then I could make sure I stay within those. The vagueness of the statement in the offer sounds like its possible for me to use 1gps consistently if available and I would not get called on it. I realize that is unlikely to ever happen. I just do not want to perform task that would use as much bandwidth as possible for a sustained period(such as transferring data from one cloud provider to another) and have them get upset with me.

• Does anyone know when the delivery server after 6.99e?

• @Dzejkob said:

Does anyone know when the delivery server after 6.99e?

Youre going to have to speak in complete sentences.

Do you mean you have not gotten your server yet?
    Or when they will be available again?

• 1 gbps of actual internet transit is approximately lol. I haven't tried from my promo dedi yet but from scaleway I've gotten around 20-30 mbps to the US. Anyway I'd suggest checking other online or scaleway threads. I didn't pay too close attention but I think there's not a real problem. But if you want fast transfer it sounds like you want the premium package. What are you trying to do anyway?

• When will once again to buy, because I could not buy a 1TB server. :)

• WSSWSS Member

I think I'll stick with my €10 Kimsufi, all the same.

• The promos are not predictable. They happen a few times a year but they come by surprise.

• @willie said:
    What are you trying to do anyway?

Large transfers between cloud providers...amazon and google accounts. I need to keep them all in sync. I have one mounted locally, I write to it and then use a dedicated server to keep it synced across multiple providers. I am paranoid about losing the data. I dont trust any one cloud provider. I use rclone to do that and it works well. I just want to make sure I dont upset the powers that be. I dont need a strong server but one that can deal with the network usage. I try to play by the providers rules and not assume anything. I dont want to have to worry that I'm using too much bandwidth or too much transfer since its a set and forget task. I hope this makes sense as to why I'm asking for the clarification.

• Ic. Well is this 100s of TB or what? If you're talking about syncing up data from a home PC, the bw per month can't be all that large by server standards. I'm not even sure where the need of a dedi comes in, instead of one or more VPS.

I don't know if it interests you but Online has an interesting cold storage product: https://www.online.net/en/c14

I mentioned it further up too.

• JunklessJunkless Member
    edited January 2017

so after more than 48 hours of creating the ticket (and a few replies in between), the server still hasnt booted once in normal mode. This is the last reply I got sometime ago :

"Put your server on rescue mode wait for the ping and look your logs server for to see what's happen."

So what am I supposed to do now ?

• @Junkless

Did you experiment with the KVMoIP and/or rescue image to see what's wrong? Does the server boot but has a problem with hard drive? If not maybe you can do that..

Good luck!

• Junkless said: So what am I supposed to do now ?

Maybe boot your server in rescue mode and see the logs? Or use the IPMI to detect the issue? Are there any logs to see what is happening? Even in their small servers, they do have a (supermicro's default) KVM over IP you can use (although it is a little tricky because of the crappy Java need)

• WSSWSS Member

@jvnadr said:

Junkless said: So what am I supposed to do now ?

Maybe boot your server in rescue mode and see the logs? Or use the IPMI to detect the issue? Are there any logs to see what is happening? Even in their small servers, they do have a (supermicro's default) KVM over IP you can use (although it is a little tricky because of the crappy Java need)

Not to mention that it shits itself every so often and needs manual intervention.

• WSS said: Not to mention that it shits itself every so often and needs manual intervention.

The good thing is that there is a rescue mode that is useful in most cases just like an IPMI, and the supermicro's ipmi can load custom iso for installing your own OS or do several jobs that do not need the monitor part of a KVM over IP

• WSSWSS Member

@jvnadr said:

WSS said: Not to mention that it shits itself every so often and needs manual intervention.

The good thing is that there is a rescue mode that is useful in most cases just like an IPMI, and the supermicro's ipmi can load custom iso for installing your own OS or do several jobs that do not need the monitor part of a KVM over IP

Well, the issue is that you still sometimes need a physical power cycle.. and without having an interface to that, you're stuck sitting and waiting.

• WSS said: Well, the issue is that you still sometimes need a physical power cycle.. and without having an interface to that, you're stuck sitting and waiting.

Physical power cycle can be done by pressing a button to supermicro's KVM, so, it does not need the crappy Java. But I agree that there are times that you need the interface to the actual monitor, so, this can be tricky...

• @jvnadr said:
    crappy Java

Tautology

Thanked by 3jvnadr WSS vaviloff
  • JunklessJunkless Member
    edited January 2017

@datanoise said:
    @Junkless

Did you experiment with the KVMoIP and/or rescue image to see what's wrong? Does the server boot but has a problem with hard drive? If not maybe you can do that..

Good luck!

@jvnadr said:

I tried the console viewer to see where it was getting stuck. And then I tried reinstalling the OS, both times, it got stuck on the following screen :

http://imgur.com/a/dqGOc

I tried to change the boot order to HDD, but then I get only a blank screen with a flashing cursor. Tried the system check utility (via idrac) and it showed everything as ok.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I got yelled at and told to go away for using 90TB a month on a 20EUR server.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

hawc said: 90TB

• @netomx said:

hawc said: 90TB

yeah but again, online.net is saying in this case "Transfer is unlimited. There is no transfer limit but there is no guaranteed bandwidth either" so they shouldn't complain about 90TB.

If they called out a limit, I can totally see it..you cross the line of unacceptable usage then you should be called out..totally.

I think my concern is the definition of guaranteed bandwidth as the no transfer limit is self explanatory. If its the normal end-user perspective, it means that my bandwidth will fluctuate due to others using the shared bandwidth, if it's online.net's past definition then it could be that they can impose a bandwidth limit at any time and at any amount..so look..we're setting the bandwidth limit on you to 5mb/s today..dont go over that or we cancel and we can do that because there isnt any guaranteed bandwidth. We never told you it would be at least 100mb/s.

I would still like online.net's comment on this since they are the final word..I'm a literal person but it's all about perspective and definition. I will do my best to keep it within acceptable limits and within the rules of the contract...always. I just need clear definition of what those are so I can act appropriately.

I don't want to cancel my current OVH box only to be burned by this.

• In the hosting world, there's no such thing as unlimited. That's all you ever need to know.

Thanked by 2vaviloff WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

There is kind of an unstated amount you are allowed to use for anything- you don't take the last slice of pie, you don't use the last few pieces of toilet paper (unless you replace it), and you don't peg the port on a nearly-no-profit machine, unless you want to get shit on.

Abusing the fact that most people don't need to be told to sit down and shut the fuck up doesn't make you smarter- it just makes you an asshole.

Thanked by 2netomx willie