Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtKick acquired by OnApp - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtKick acquired by OnApp

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@clouvider - guess who will deliver us servers for dev purposes?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@gbshouse said:
    @clouvider - guess who will deliver us servers for dev purposes?

Always happy to help :-)!

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

gbshouse said: guess who will deliver us servers for dev purposes?

Just ask your existing partners. I am sure if someone with a track record is serious about development then finding some environment with servers will be the least of your problems. ;-)

@Oliver just laughin' with Dominik :) we enjoy workin' with both of you guys. Checking the libvirt docs right now to see what can we do with it

• @GEM said:
    Personally I think companies like Dediserve are able to serve because they have a share of corporate or business customers - depending on their HA platform for certain services. What such companies may be selling is excess capacity and hence low pricing can be met.

Correct :)

• ascendrixascendrix Member
    edited January 2017

@gbshouse said:
    So, to be more constructive, if someone is thinking about implementing new control panel (non open source but cheap) which features would you like to see? Basic CRUD for VMs, KVM support, multi host, IP management, what else?

-Multi-region support
    -Ability to take snapshots of VMs

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@gbshouse said:
    @Oliver just laughin' with Dominik :) we enjoy workin' with both of you guys. Checking the libvirt docs right now to see what can we do with it

Fair warning: libvirt is a nightmare to debug. It works really well... until it doesn't, and then you'll spend hours to days pulling out your hair trying to work out what the cryptic error means.

This is pretty much the #1 reason I'm not using it anywhere.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

joepie91 said: It works really well... until it doesn't, and then you'll spend hours to days pulling out your hair trying to work out what the cryptic error means.

Sounds like my first marriage.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

Seems appropriate on quite a few levels.

@joepie91 it's ok, have been working with debugging such things for last 15 years ;)

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @ditlev said:
    Hi Guys, one of our clients forwarded this thread to me :)

Feel free to ping me directly ([email protected], I am travelling right now, so will not be visiting this thread frequently) if you have questions regarding the Virtkick deal.

We haven't sorted out all the details yet, but I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

:)

D

Remember when @ditlev said he'd answer questions?

Thanked by 1GCat
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@TheCTS said:

@ditlev said:
    Hi Guys, one of our clients forwarded this thread to me :)

Feel free to ping me directly ([email protected], I am travelling right now, so will not be visiting this thread frequently) if you have questions regarding the Virtkick deal.

We haven't sorted out all the details yet, but I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

:)

D

Remember when @ditlev said he'd answer questions?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ndI9vkgw_1Y/maxresdefault.jpg

Compliments to @MikeA for reminding me of this.

Francisco

Thanked by 3MikeA jh VPNsh
  • DETioDETio Member
    edited January 2017

Here's a few questions he answered personally (if anyone is interested):

The 'main' reason of acquiring:

[7/01/2017 8:16:41 PM] Ditlev Bredahl(CEO OF ONAPP): i bought them for the team
    [7/01/2017 8:16:46 PM] Ditlev Bredahl(CEO OF ONAPP): 90% team anyway
    [7/01/2017 8:16:50 PM] Ditlev Bredahl(CEO OF ONAPP): Ruby guys are hard to find
    [7/01/2017 8:16:53 PM] Ditlev Bredahl(CEO OF ONAPP): all Onapp is ruby

[7/01/2017 8:18:24 PM] Ditlev Bredahl(CEO OF ONAPP): first and foremost it was the team i got
    [7/01/2017 8:18:37 PM] Ditlev Bredahl(CEO OF ONAPP): that was the main reason
    [7/01/2017 8:18:42 PM] Ditlev Bredahl(CEO OF ONAPP): 6 really good guys

Business Plan:

[7/01/2017 8:16:54 PM] Jonathan P: Soo, with VirtKick - you'll be charging ontop of SolusVM licensing fees or?
    [7/01/2017 8:17:21 PM] Ditlev Bredahl(CEO OF ONAPP): Virtkick is not going to be for SolusVM exclusively
    [7/01/2017 8:17:26 PM] Ditlev Bredahl(CEO OF ONAPP): also for OnApp and our other products
    [7/01/2017 8:17:40 PM] Jonathan P: So it'll have it's own costs?
    [7/01/2017 8:17:47 PM] Ditlev Bredahl(CEO OF ONAPP): i doubt I would charge for it
    [7/01/2017 8:18:05 PM] Ditlev Bredahl(CEO OF ONAPP): It would make OnApp+Solus better as a product

I'm confused what virtkick is becoming then, an orchestrator?

Francisco

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Francisco said: I'm confused what virtkick is becoming then, an orchestrator?

Francisco

You sure it's even going to become something?

@AlexBarakov said:

Francisco said: I'm confused what virtkick is becoming then, an orchestrator?

Francisco

You sure it's even going to become something?

This is why I like you Alex.

Francisco

DETio said: [7/01/2017 8:16:50 PM] Ditlev Bredahl(CEO OF ONAPP): Ruby guys are hard to find

Uh... not really. That sounds more like "cheap Ruby guys are hard to find".

• The way I see it, virtkick should be gutted and thrown where it belongs, the trashbin.

In multiple browsers one can't see but an empty page of that crapware.
    The console is the lousiest one I ever worked with
    It seems providers can't simply add images, let alone custom images.

Now, for the sake of fairness, I do not know any panel that is good software but virtkick puts a new meaning to the term "crapware".
    But OK, we're talking about a business segment where many people seem to be happy to bet their company on some php stuff ...

Thanked by 1racksx
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited January 2017

I just hope you are not ""racist"" towards PHP. Seems like a dumb statement. Please continue.

@bsdguy said:
    The way I see it, virtkick should be gutted and thrown where it belongs, the trashbin.

In multiple browsers one can't see but an empty page of that crapware.
    The console is the lousiest one I ever worked with
    It seems providers can't simply add images, let alone custom images.

Now, for the sake of fairness, I do not know any panel that is good software but virtkick puts a new meaning to the term "crapware".
    But OK, we're talking about a business segment where many people seem to be happy to bet their company on some php stuff ...

• @Hxxx said:
    I just hope you are not ""racist"" towards PHP. Seems like a dumb statement. Please continue.

How different perspectives are! To me, it would rather look dumb if someone needed to be presented the endless list of grave bugs, leaks, errors, and weaknesses in php to understand.

I happen to have some decades experience in software development and I am in the field of secure systems since about 15 years. Having worked on safe languages and developing critical network infrastructure using formal spec and modeling as well as formal verification I know what I'm talking about, thank you.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I have had some conversations with a few people and hosts now about just getting this done, I don't have the money to pay a full time Dev for a year but if no one else is interested again then I will just pay a part time Dev and it can take 2 years instead, but it is going to happen.

I actually wanted to create a control panel for a long time. The issue though, is that I don't have the time to create something like this on my own. If there are other people that are willing to do this, I'm ready to set up a group to build something like this.

• @bsdguy said:

@Hxxx said:

How different perspectives are! To me, it would rather look dumb if someone needed to be presented the endless list of grave bugs, leaks, errors, and weaknesses in php to understand.

I happen to have some decades experience in software development and I am in the field of secure systems since about 15 years. Having worked on safe languages and developing critical network infrastructure using formal spec and modeling as well as formal verification I know what I'm talking about, thank you.

That may be true, just hoping you're not preaching as a zealot against php. All languages have shortcoming, bugs/problems/issues. They either get fixed or workarounds made and you live with them until they are fixed. Not a single language can be perfect to everyone.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • @pcfreak30

Don't worry, I'm not out to fight a war against php. Actually I think it's OK for mom and dad sites or the local bakery.

It just happens to lend itself very well as a negative example. At the same time it lends itself very, very modestly to creating solid and safe software or sites.

Thanked by 2Hxxx pcfreak30
  • So is there any fresh news from the Virtkick on this?

• @Francisco said:
    K so now that i've laughed my ass off enough, lets dissect things.

Was SolusVM 2.0's frontend ever rigged together or was it purely a in a UI demo state? They posted screenshots that looked pretty nice, but why start working on 2 platforms now short of "we failed to roll in the new SVM2 UI and VirtKick will be the new frontend"?

If they literally just went Monopoly on it to take out a competitor then fine whatever, but claiming they're going to actually do something with it is just unfair to both customer bases.

Francisco

this ^

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Thanked by 2TheLinuxBug Hxxx
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

As usual the amount of information about this in general is underwhelming.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

Death Row Acquired by OnApp.

SolusVM New version released:

Changelog: Email address will now look differently.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
    edited January 2017

@pcfreak30 said:

@bsdguy said:

@Hxxx said:

That may be true, just hoping you're not preaching as a zealot against php. All languages have shortcoming, bugs/problems/issues. They either get fixed or workarounds made and you live with them until they are fixed. Not a single language can be perfect to everyone.

There's a big difference between "this language has some poorly designed aspects/tradeoffs", and "this language is so fundamentally broken to the core that fixing it would entail essentially creating a new, incompatible language".

This whole idea that every language is equally bad is just complete and utter bullshit. Yes, PHP absolutely fares worse than almost every other language in common use - because none of it was designed, but rather just organically grew to its current state, with very little thought put into the long-term consequences. Many of these issues are inherently unfixable, and PHP has absolutely zero redeeming technical features over all the alternative options.

So yes, PHP is crap. Yes, using PHP will significantly increase the chance that you end up with an insecure piece of software, simply because there are footguns around every corner. Yes, PHP is an inherently poor choice for anything that matters. Yes, it's completely valid to ridicule PHP and suggest that people learn and use something that's not such a giant clusterfuck.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited January 2017

Most popular languages have security issues anyway... It's called patch.