Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtKick acquired by OnApp - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtKick acquired by OnApp

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@rushway said:
    I'm also waiting for the solusvm 2.0 update for a long time and hoping that it will be ready soon but actually I'm note sure why everyone is bashing onapp so harsh. As I can remember the 2.0 update was already announced by the old solusvm management a very long time before solus got acquired by onapp. So in fact solus wasn't able to launch the new version under the old leadership as well as the current one.

I would not consider it "harsh" at all. If anything, people have been exceedingly patient with OnApp, to a fault. OnApp has shown absolutely no legitimate intentions whatsoever, constantly making unmet promises, shady business decisions, and eventually strategically leaving the stage every time the discussion gets too "hot" for them.

They've been screwing their (paying!) customers for well over a year now, to the point of negligence. How is this not deserving of constant public criticism?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

rushway said: In my point of view onapp has from now again 21 months of development until they're officially worse than the old soluslabs management.

Well your entitled to that vary rare, badly informed and short sighted point of view :)

Joined January 3

2 comments total, both defending solusvm, not saying it.... but it would not surprise me either at this stage.

• rushwayrushway Member
    edited January 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

rushway said: In my point of view onapp has from now again 21 months of development until they're officially worse than the old soluslabs management.

Well your entitled to that vary rare, badly informed and short sighted point of view :)

Joined January 3

2 comments total, both defending solusvm, not saying it.... but it would not surprise me either at this stage.

yes, you've exposed me. I'm the owner of onapp and just want to make clear that my company is actually not as worse as another company. That is a very uncommon way of marketing but anyway you got it. Brilliant! ;)

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • onapp just released a massive update for solusvm.

Type
    Note
    Security Fix PHPMailer has been updated

MSPNick said: onapp just released a massive update for solusvm.

If you are only on the 1.18.x branch you have a lot more to worry about then that :)

• jhjh Member

joepie91 said: strategically leaving the stage every time the discussion gets too "hot" for them.

Do you mean not posting on LET often enough? Honestly I don't understand why they post here at all.

Thanked by 1rushway

jh said: Honestly I don't understand why they post here at all.

Because a lot of their customers and end users talk about them here and they also advertise their services here?

• Shit just became shittier...

@jh said:

joepie91 said: strategically leaving the stage every time the discussion gets too "hot" for them.

Do you mean not posting on LET often enough? Honestly I don't understand why they post here at all.

It's not so much about the frequency of posting, as it is about when they post. Any time criticism arises in a discussion they are a part of, they make some hand-wavy marketing statements. Then when criticism and/or skepticism continues, they stop responding in that thread entirely.

I don't expect them to continuously post on here. I do expect them to face criticism honestly and give useful, actionable answers. They don't.

• do we have any other options at the moment than just wait and hope for the best?

• jhjh Member

AnthonySmith said: Because a lot of their customers and end users talk about them here and they also advertise their services here?

joepie91 said: It's not so much about the frequency of posting, as it is about when they post. Any time criticism arises in a discussion they are a part of, they make some hand-wavy marketing statements. Then when criticism and/or skepticism continues, they stop responding in that thread entirely.

I don't expect them to continuously post on here. I do expect them to face criticism honestly and give useful, actionable answers. They don't.

Few businesses here use or ever would use OnApp. Few businesses here would use SolusVM if there were a viable alternative. A lot of businesses here are waiting for a viable SolusVM alternative to magically appear and will do absolutely nothing useful to make that happen.

To me it appears as if they're interested in buying competitors to eliminate viable alternatives and the only software they're interested in developing is OnApp. The odd post asking people to wait a bit longer because something big's coming costs nothing and does a bit more to deter alternatives and keep the cash cow ticking along. Getting into a substantial debate (or flame war) is a lot of effort for no reward.

This is only how it looks to me. Maybe I'm wrong. In their shoes I would probably not post here at all.

Thanked by 2joepie91 srvrpro

jh said: A lot of businesses here are waiting for a viable SolusVM alternative to magically appear and will do absolutely nothing useful to make that happen.

And I still don't really understand why not. I've suggested multiple times in the past, in multiple places, that with reliable funding - even if it comes from multiple providers working in tandem - I'd be able to work on CVM full-time instead of the bit-by-bit work I can afford to be doing now. People seemed quite happy about my work on CVM, but were seemingly unwilling to work towards getting it funded.

So once again, the same offer is still open: if people want a reliable open-source alternative to SolusVM and friends, and have it developed on a schedule, with actual hard guarantees on supported features, and timely bugfixes that actually fix the issues... I'm still available for this, and still willing to discuss funding options that involve a collaboration of multiple providers :)

(As for starting a Kickstarter or similar: There's not really a point to this, since it's unlikely that anybody outside of LowEndTalk would be interested. I'd just end up losing a significant cut to the platform, with no benefits to either me or those funding the project. It'd also make requirements and funding a lot less flexible. I'd much rather discuss it with people directly.)

• Well now, who knows, I might be interested in VirtKick. Always good to have a solid company behind a product.

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Hi Guys, one of our clients forwarded this thread to me :)

Feel free to ping me directly ([email protected], I am travelling right now, so will not be visiting this thread frequently) if you have questions regarding the Virtkick deal.

We haven't sorted out all the details yet, but I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

:)

D

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Francisco said: Was SolusVM 2.0's frontend ever rigged together or was it purely a in a UI demo state?

I know the OnApp guy was here once and said that they had a closed 2.0 beta, but that was months ago...can't find it on LET search. I told him he should pick a few big hosts from LET and have them take a crack at it and share their views, reap some marketing rewards...of course, that never went anywhere.

@Clouvider mentioned a closed beta as well in this thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/72503/where-is-solusvm-v2/p1

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ditlev said: We haven't sorted out all the details yet, but I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

When is Solus 2.0 coming out?

@ditlev said:
    Hi Guys, one of our clients forwarded this thread to me :)

Feel free to ping me directly ([email protected], I am travelling right now, so will not be visiting this thread frequently) if you have questions regarding the Virtkick deal.

We haven't sorted out all the details yet, but I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

:)

D

To save you some time and work, I took the liberty to compile a list of questions from this thread:

OhMyMy said: Wonder how they are going to deal with the 6 copyright left holders from the indiegogo campaign

MikeA said: So what did they do with all of the current work?

IHaveADarkPassenger said: why on god's green earth would they replace the backend with a pile of shit like SolusVM.

MikeA said: I have to ask, why do you guys need help with billing for SolusVM? That makes no sense unless you plan to use their 'your clients pay us and we pay you' perspective (similar to the SVM/OnApp cloud offering).

I'm sure I am misunderstanding what you said in some form, and being a bit critical, so please reply since I'm a client and this change might affect me.

Given that you're "happy to answer questions", there should be no problem with answering them right here in the thread... right?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

joepie91 said: And I still don't really understand why not. I've suggested multiple times in the past, in multiple places, that with reliable funding - even if it comes from multiple providers working in tandem - I'd be able to work on CVM full-time instead of the bit-by-bit work I can afford to be doing now. People seemed quite happy about my work on CVM, but were seemingly unwilling to work towards getting it funded.

Welcome to the issue Virtkick had. You have all these large providers bitching and moaning about how they all hate solus and can't wait for a replacement but refuse to put a single dime towards a community project.

Virtkick delivered on their product in the end and while it has its issues, it was going to be opensource anyway so those few things would've been addressed quickly.

Francisco

raindog308 said: I know the OnApp guy was here once and said that they had a closed 2.0 beta

Which was a lie because when it came to a deadline they had to push things out at least 6 months because the product didn't actually exist. You can lookup some of @AnthonySmith's posts on either here or WHT and he documented it all.

They have no reason to put any time into either project because...who's going to rise up against them? @joepie91's about the only one around here mentally duranged enough to go through the annoyance of writing a control panel for free knowing full he'll never see a dime out of it.

I mean, Justin from BlueVM did a panel and while we all (myself included) broke his balls over things, yet he still rolled it out and made it insanely cheap (like $1/m per node or something) and he got none? Almost no one? paying into it.

Even development wise 95%+ of the commits were from himself.

Francisco

Thanked by 2jh Hxxx
  • Wise words as always @Francisco

• OhMyMyOhMyMy Member
    edited January 2017

Even if one person could write a great panel. What rational, revenue producing company would use it? So you are talking about needing a company with 5-6 people to write, maintain, and support a panel. (not 6 people on call to answer tickets on an as needed $2 per ticket basis - but full time staff). So what kind of revenue would such a company need?250K per year? 400K per year? Say 250K at 2.5/m per node you'd have to hope and pray for 8,000 node market penetration. The realities of this are quite difficult. Even if you say 125K a year you are looking at 4,000 nodes. The viability of the model is suspect, given the entrenched players. So it would take more than a few LET providers and a single programmer. I don't see it happening without a true VC supported model to pay for an appropriate attempt at market penetration as the software is only one aspect.

Thanked by 1jh

OhMyMy said: So you are talking about needing a company with 5-6 people to write, maintain, and support a panel.

Why?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • OhMyMyOhMyMy Member
    edited January 2017

@joepie91. Who will provide support at 2 in the morning when the primary developer is sleeping? Or will support only be during a M-F normal business hours schedule? Who supports on weekend? It is a financially not so prudent move to risk a end user company on a new product with a skeleton staff until product is proven and has less issues than current available option.

@OhMyMy - that's the idea behind it being OSS, that way the community supports itself ideally.

Lets be real, there's been a half dozen panels over the years and all of the paid ones either flopped or never reached market. While @joepie91 and many others could finish it, I don't see them wanting to take on the headache without some guaranteed long term revenue.

Francisco

Thanked by 1varunchopra
    edited January 2017

@OhMyMy said:
    @joepie91. Who will provide support at 2 in the morning when the primary developer is sleeping? Or will support only be during a M-F normal business hours schedule? Who supports on weekend? It is a financially not so prudent move to risk a end user company on a new product with a skeleton staff until product is proven and has less issues than current available option.

Offering 24-hour support, while being a mostly reasonable point (I will get back to this in a moment), doesn't explain how you end up with "5-6 people". On a crunch schedule, that'd be 2 people. On a tight schedule, it'd be 3 people. On a looser schedule with some room for sick leave etc., it'd be 4 people. None of those meet your "5-6 people" count - so where do the other two (or more) come from?

As for being a mostly reasonable point... for anything other than maybe "how do I ____", 24 hour support for a panel is not really a realistic expectation nor a necessity. Issues are typically not going to be triaged, reproduced, patched, tested and deployed within under 48 hours, so the extra 8 hours to wait before the developer wakes up aren't going to be that big of a deal. Note that I'm talking purely about software here, not about SaaS.

On top of all of that, it being an open-source project means that a community can grow around it, especially to take care of the more trivial questions being asked. You seem to be assuming "running as a commercial company" as an operation model, but that's not what I have in mind, and I suspect that neither do some of the other people who are playing with the idea of writing a panel.

OhMyMy said: It is a financially not so prudent move to risk a end user company on a new product with a skeleton staff until product is proven and has less issues than current available option.

At this stage, I honestly don't think the bar is set very high. SolusVM/OnApp has an effectively two-year support response time(!), and all the other options seem to either have very obvious quality deficiencies, or unreasonable requirements ("you can only use this as a hosted service").

Francisco said: While @joepie91 and many others could finish it, I don't see them wanting to take on the headache without some guaranteed long term revenue.

I wouldn't necessarily be looking for long-term revenue. As long as my bills are paid somehow, I don't particularly care how. Whether that's by being paid for working on CVM, or being paid for other projects and working on CVM in my spare time, either is fine with me. Nowadays I generally follow a model of "paying me to do work gets you priority and a deadline, filing an issue on the repo doesn't".

• OhMyMyOhMyMy Member
    edited January 2017

@joepie91. 168 hours in a week. 40 hour work week = 4 people for 24/7 coverage. Main programmer gets run over by a truck- better at least have 1 skilled backup. marketing cant spend all their time on support or writing code- better have at least one marketing person or you start either restricting growth or dev or support. Hence you do get to 5-6 people easy unless you start trimming back expectations substantially. Or your growth to a sustainable number of nodes gets compromised.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
    edited January 2017

OhMyMy said: 40 hour work week = 4 people for 24/7 coverage.

This is not a valid assumption in eg. startups, where work weeks are often considerably longer until things get going.

OhMyMy said: Main programmer gets run over by a truck- better at least have 1 skilled backup.

Fair point, but far less relevant for an open-source project than for a proprietary one.

OhMyMy said: marketing cant spend all their time on support or writing code- better have at least one marketing person or you start either restricting growth or dev or support.

I don't see why a marketing person would be needed here. With the current state of things, any reasonable alternative is going to practically market itself, especially if it's free to use. Again, you seem to be assuming a commercial company.

OhMyMy said: Or your growth to a sustainable number of nodes gets compromised.

Growth isn't the goal. Having a decent VPS control panel is.

Thanked by 1Host4Go

joepie91 said: I wouldn't necessarily be looking for long-term revenue. As long as my bills are paid somehow, I don't particularly care how. Whether that's by being paid for working on CVM, or being paid for other projects and working on CVM in my spare time, either is fine with me. Nowadays I generally follow a model of "paying me to do work gets you priority and a deadline, filing an issue on the repo doesn't".

Great.

The community as a whole, on here especially, were given a shot to support VirtKick to roll out their product. They ran the kickstarter for over a month and in that time they made...$8000 or so? Not even half of what was needed to get off the ground.

All of these brands that play "big show" could've rolled the whole project outta their warchests without blinking an eye yet if they did, they went stingy and offered a few hundred bucks when their Solus bills are $XXXX/month. Now they're sitting around crying about how shitty Solus is and how there's no competition to it.

There's been a few other panels that tried to launch and...well, there's virtualizor and that's it.

Right now there's @DETio but he's no where to be found since the IP hijacking ordeal. For all we know that was the main bankroll for his development budget.

Francisco

• Well I bought a Virtkick package/license (the $19/mo one) around 24 hours ago and it hasn't been delivered yet. I don't know if that's normal or because of the OnApp acquisition.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited January 2017

Francisco said: Right now there's @DETio but he's no where to be found since the IP hijacking ordeal. For all we know that was the main bankroll for his development budget.

No that is not our source of funding - our development is still quite active, here's a look at our latest progress:

If anyone would like to request a demo to test the platform themselves, please contact us here: https://virtengine.com/contacts.html or by shooting an email to [email protected]