Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtKick acquired by OnApp - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtKick acquired by OnApp

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@DETio said:

Francisco said: Right now there's @DETio but he's no where to be found since the IP hijacking ordeal. For all we know that was the main bankroll for his development budget.

No that is not our source of funding - our development is still quite active, here's a look at our latest progress:

If anyone would like to request a demo to test the platform themselves, please contact us here: https://virtengine.com/contacts.html or by shooting an email to [email protected]

When can I start using this?

Thanked by 1DETio
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DETio said:

Francisco said: Right now there's @DETio but he's no where to be found since the IP hijacking ordeal. For all we know that was the main bankroll for his development budget.

No that is not our source of funding - our development is still quite active, here's a look at our latest progress:

If anyone would like to request a demo to test the platform themselves, please contact us here: https://virtengine.com/contacts.html or by shooting an email to [email protected]

Excellent.

Francisco

• @DETio

Maybe you should remove the Host IP, i think i told you that when i tested your panel, it is a security risk to share the main node ip with your customers, if all of you have a closer look to the video you will see that all the virtual machines has the same Host IP, which is the node IP, how many of you agree to share that with the customers?

• racksx said: Maybe you should remove the Host IP, i think i told you that when i tested your panel, it is a security risk to share the main node ip with your customers, if all of you have a closer look to the video you will see that all the virtual machines has the same Host IP, which is the node IP, how many of you agree to share that with the customers?

Hey RacksX,

We've taken your feedback seriously, instead we left it as a flag in the configuration file. Which hides the host IP if the flag is turned off.

Thanks for your feedback.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited January 2017

pbgben said: When can I start using this?

It's actually pretty stable, and you can test it your self if you'd like before deploying to production.

We're waiting on our Automated Launcher to be complete to allow anyone to self-launch the platform in minutes by simply having hardware installed with Ubuntu or CentOS.

That's currently under construction (Our latest ETA for that is ~2 weeks), however we can use the current edition internally (which is not ready for public use) to assist us in launching our clients hardware and speed the setup process.

Anyone is able to use this on-premise for production if they contact us :)

Even though its extremely stable, and there are no critical bugs - users might run into a bug once in a while, and should be considered in Late Beta.

• FlapadarFlapadar Member
    edited January 2017

@DETio said:

<

video>

I'm going to be blunt and come out and say it. What was the IP hijacking about and why should people trust software designed by you, if we can't trust your network announcements?

I'm personally really keen to see a viable alternative to SolusVM, but this is a question that needs answered.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

I put money in to virtkick, I put money in to CVM (the original one), I put money in to the new CVM Justin and Sven did, I offered money for development on feathur, and tried to offer money to host guard, I have sent about 300 bug reports and feature requests to solusvm and spent time working with virtualizor.

I have spent a fair chunk of money and a LOT of time trying to improve the situation.

I have had some jokers here wanting me to spend yet more time and money in exchange for a reduced price license, I.e. I put the documentation and ideas forward, I pay them to develop an alternative and in exchange I get a cheap license... lol

I have had some conversations with a few people and hosts now about just getting this done, I don't have the money to pay a full time Dev for a year but if no one else is interested again then I will just pay a part time Dev and it can take 2 years instead, but it is going to happen.

I simply cannot imagine getting to 2018 and still using solusvm, i would rather exit the industry all together.

It is all well and good saying no one is doing anything to improve the situation while sitting in your own walled garden but the fact is it simply cannot be that easy, solusvm generates a minimum of half a million p/year, if it was easy to do better I promise you someone would have by now.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@DETio said:

pbgben said: When can I start using this?

It's actually pretty stable, and you can test it your self if you'd like before deploying to production.

We're waiting on our Automated Launcher to be complete to allow anyone to self-launch the platform in minutes by simply having hardware installed with Ubuntu or CentOS.

That's currently under construction (Our latest ETA for that is ~2 weeks), however we can use the current edition internally (which is not ready for public use) to assist us in launching our clients hardware and speed the setup process.

Anyone is able to use this on-premise for production if they contact us :)

Even though its extremely stable, and there are no critical bugs - users might run into a bug once in a while, and should be considered in Late Beta.

I thought you agreed to not post about your product again until you had something to publicly release? Please adhere to this. I'm getting sick of seeing you extend timelines over and over - I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • Flapadar said: I'm going to be blunt and come out and say it. What was the IP hijacking about and why should people trust software designed by you, if we can't trust your network announcements?

I'm personally really keen to see a viable alternative to SolusVM, but this is a question that needs answered.

We didn't announce the CNNIC IP's, we were working with Sid regarding other IP's (APNIC) - the ASN was owned by FlameHosting (SID) - we were however using and announcing APNIC based IP's which we have rights to: as you can see we have access to the accounts directly with APNIC:

http://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image/2030312/37786e905c2712717d5fb3b7c2c1a155 (they are being used by clients ATM so we blurred out the IP's)

• trewq said: I thought you agreed to not post about your product again until you had something to publicly release? Please adhere to this. I'm getting sick of seeing you extend timelines over and over - I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Allowing clients to self-launch the platform =/ a public release. Our platform is ready and already being used by some clients for production, one example is the Screen-cast I shared via AtomDeploy.com's deployment.

Thanked by 1atomdeploy
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

@DETio said:

Flapadar said: I'm going to be blunt and come out and say it. What was the IP hijacking about and why should people trust software designed by you, if we can't trust your network announcements?

We didn't announce the CNNIC IP's, we were working with Sid regarding other IP's (APNIC) - the ASN was owned by FlameHosting (SID)

So you don't filter your session with them ?

Spamhaus got in touch with you already?

edited January 2017

@DETio said:

trewq said: I thought you agreed to not post about your product again until you had something to publicly release? Please adhere to this. I'm getting sick of seeing you extend timelines over and over - I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Allowing clients to self-launch the platform =/ a public release. Our platform is ready and already being used by some clients for production, one example is the Screen-cast I shared via AtomDeploy.com's deployment.

I can't go to your site, order and install. Not even see any pricing so no, it's not a public release.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited January 2017

trewq said: I can't go to your site, order and install. Not even see any pricing so no, it's not a public release.

Our documentation docs.virtengine.com allows clients to:

• View Pricing
    • Self-Install our OpenSource edition (for private cloud)

Our automated launcher handles billings and orders, which is not released yet - doesn't mean we cannot take orders manually via email and launch the platform for users.

@DETio said:

trewq said: I can't go to your site, order and install. Not even see any pricing so no, it's not a public release.

Our documentation docs.virtengine.com allows clients to:

• View Pricing
    • Self-Install our OpenSource edition

Our automated launcher handles billings and orders, which is not released yet - doesn't mean we cannot take orders manually via email and launch the platform for users.

That's ridiculous. How is anyone supposed to find that? You're supposed to be selling a product, not making people go on a treasure hunt.

I'm not arguing with you about this. I'm telling you, unless I can click order and buy your product and install it on my server this is not a public release in the sense that was expected when you promised it a couple of months ago.

Thanked by 2raindog308 racksx
  • jhjh Member
    edited January 2017

AnthonySmith said: I put money in to virtkick, I put money in to CVM (the original one), I put money in to the new CVM Justin and Sven did, I offered money for development on feathur, and tried to offer money to host guard, I have sent about 300 bug reports and feature requests to solusvm and spent time working with virtualizor.

How much due diligence did you do? How did the 300 bug reports compare to the funding you'd given them?

I have had some jokers here wanting me to spend yet more time and money in exchange for a reduced price license, I.e. I put the documentation and ideas forward, I pay them to develop an alternative and in exchange I get a cheap license... lol

I suppose it depends on the balance of sponsored development and licence cost. I agree with the above assessments that if this is going to work, it won't be one guy in his bedroom switching between other pet projects/work, panel development and panel support. Developers need to be paid and the company will have overheads.

If you are sponsoring a small fraction of the development cost, it might be reasonable to expect to pay something towards the future of the project, especially if you require support. I have no idea about numbers, though.

trewq said: I thought you agreed to not post about your product again until you had something to publicly release? Please adhere to this. I'm getting sick of seeing you extend timelines over and over - I'm sure I'm not the only one.

@Francisco put it well when he said that this community has a habit of stifling people who want to improve the situation. On the surface, @DETio looks good so maybe some encouragement would be helpful rather than nit picking?

jh said: @Francisco put it well when he said that this community has a habit of stifling people who want to improve the situation. On the surface, @DETio looks good so maybe some encouragement would be helpful rather than nit picking?

Er? no, in the case of Justin he released the completed project to github and then people pointed out where he could cut his code by ~50% by writing a few classes instead of what he was originally doing.

None of the large hosting companies want to contribute to it. If the admins actually sat and cared about this place they would've paid for the VirtKick development entirely, got a control panel for all of thier shells, and could've forced all public discussion for features, ideas, bug reports, and development, into this very forum.

It would've pumped a lot of life into both communities.

Francisco

@Clouvider said:

@DETio said:

Flapadar said: I'm going to be blunt and come out and say it. What was the IP hijacking about and why should people trust software designed by you, if we can't trust your network announcements?

We didn't announce the CNNIC IP's, we were working with Sid regarding other IP's (APNIC) - the ASN was owned by FlameHosting (SID)

So you don't filter your session with them ?

Spamhaus got in touch with you already?

The subnets in question were long since marked as rokso/hijacked ranges, the latest stunt simply got the listings refreshed as 'still being abused'.

I think the refresh also moved them to the DROP list.

Francisco

jh said: How much due diligence did you do? How did the 300 bug reports compare to the funding you'd given them?

Enough diligence, how did the 300 bug reports and feature requests I sent to SolusVM compare to the funding I had given to others? ... what?

jh said: I suppose it depends on the balance of sponsored development and licence cost.

And the balance of my own time and effort, if I am going to write a develop by numbers guide for a development company, thoroughly test and feed back on every element all the way through the development and do all of the documentation if anything I am doing the lions share of the work.

I don't expect to have to also pay some snot nosed kid with an inflated sense of self worth an equally inflated fee to then be able to sell my ideas and work without me getting a share, I certainly don't expect to have to pay for the software, especially when said development company(s) is approaching me not the other way around.

But you know.. this is why Phill made such a success of SolusVM, he is a better coder that 99% of the people here and he also knew how virtualization and the general hosting market worked.

If you think that last statement is incorrect, I have at least 7 years of market dominance and Phill's much bigger bigger bank balance than yours to back that up.

Thanked by 1Host4Go

trewq said: That's ridiculous. How is anyone supposed to find that? You're supposed to be selling a product, not making people go on a treasure hunt.

I'm not arguing with you about this. I'm telling you, unless I can click order and buy your product and install it on my server this is not a public release in the sense that was expected when you promised it a couple of months ago.

I said this 6 months ago, they just don't 'get it' which is why it will never get to market in any way worth having, my confidence in them at this stage is essentially 0 which means it will be years of having a proven track record after they actually launch to even consider them.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited January 2017

Francisco said: None of the large hosting companies want to contribute to it. If the admins actually sat and cared about this place they would've paid for the VirtKick development entirely, got a control panel for all of thier shells, and could've forced all public discussion for features, ideas, bug reports, and development, into this very forum.

We've left our platform OpenSource for anyone looking to contribute, no hosting provider put resources into that (yet) - https://github.com/VirtEngine/VirtEngine-UI

Even though everyone here got frustrated when VirtKick took down their OpenSource edition, they got frustrated because they could no longer get a panel for free - not because they wanted to have control on some of the development, and path of VirtKick.

Either way, our platform will stay with an OpenSource core to allow any provider using our platform to directly contribute in features and or ideas/bug reports directly through a public setting.

Thanked by 1jh

@DETio you change direction so often it is comical.

Thanked by 2GCat cassa
  • DETioDETio Member
    edited January 2017

AnthonySmith said: @DETio you change direction so often it is comical.

Give me an example of changing our direction?

We've only changed our direction on something crucial once, and that's from making our minified SaaS only to SaaS & On-Premise: Due to feedback from LET.

I do admit that we've had frustrating delays, but development is expensive and ensuring the product is truly stable & extremely scalable for large deployments is at the top of our priorities.

The actual product is quite stable at this stage, however our automated launcher is crucial to ensure large deployments and a more seamless experience for the provider - allowing them to test the platform without paying and self-installing without having to contact us - while also covering licensing fees.

We've had the same goal from day 1 of building VirtEngine, and that's to make a viable alternative in the current market that does not diminish any enterprise features such as:

• Hourly Billing (With WHMCS/other billing platforms like UberSmith and Blesta soon)
    • High Availability
    • One-Click Cloud Applications
    • Storage as a Service (Object/Block)
    • Platform as a Service (Launching Custom Applications: With future versions allowing automated scaling of such applications & one-click apps)
    • Ease of Use & Ease of Installation
    • Affordable to providers yet sufficient to keep development rolling
    • Active development with cutting-edge features
    Thanked by 2jh hostingwizard_net
  • @DETio said:

AnthonySmith said: @DETio you change direction so often it is comical.

Give me an example of changing our direction?

We've only changed our direction on something crucial once, and that's from making our minified SaaS only to SaaS & On-Premise: Due to feedback from LET.

I do admit that we've had frustrating delays, but development is expensive and ensuring the product is truly stable & extremely scalable for large deployments is at the top of our priorities.

The actual product is quite stable at this stage, however our automated launcher is crucial to ensure large deployments and a more seamless experience for the provider - allowing them to test the platform without paying and self-installing without having to contact us - while also covering licensing fees.

We've had the same goal from day 1 of building VirtEngine, and that's to make a viable alternative in the current market that does not diminish any enterprise features such as:

• Hourly Billing (With WHMCS/other billing platforms like UberSmith and Blesta soon)
    • High Availability
    • One-Click Cloud Applications
    • Storage as a Service (Object/Block)
    • Platform as a Service (Launching Custom Applications: With future versions allowing automated scaling of such applications & one-click apps)
    • Ease of Use & Ease of Installation
    • Affordable to providers yet sufficient to keep development rolling
    • Active development with cutting-edge features

And I'm batman

• So, day 1, everyone complains about VirtKick getting bought out, day 2, everyone complains about not having an alternative, day 3, a guy turns up with an alternative with an open-source core and everyone tells him to go back into the hole he came from.

Did I get it right?

edited January 2017

@varunchopra said:
    So, day 1, everyone complains about VirtKick getting bought out, day 2, everyone complains about not having an alternative, day 3, a guy turns up with an alternative with an open-source core and everyone tells him to go back into the hole he came from.

Did I get it right?

The guy coming with the open source code has a history of missed promises AFAIK, this is the problem.

Most people here look for something stable, bug free, with awesome features and preferably free, and from a reliable provider, which is why they can't find anything.

Thanked by 2jh eva2000

@DETio you have yet to actually produce anything commercially viable, at this stage you are being dismissed as noise by people who would have been your potential customers.

You don't have a product, you just hyped and hyped and delivered nothing.

4 months late, still no date, now all you talk about is your open source platform on github instead of delivering.

I told you I would be back in 3 months when you failed to deliver, here I am, called it.

• @Clouvider said:
    The guy coming with the open source code has a history of missed promises AFAIK, this is the problem.

Most people here look for something stable, bug free, with awesome features and preferably free, and from a reliable provider, which is why they can't find anything.

Sounds a lot like you're complaining about SolusVM TBH.

• ascendrixascendrix Member
    edited January 2017

@varunchopra said:
    So, day 1, everyone complains about VirtKick getting bought out, day 2, everyone complains about not having an alternative, day 3, a guy turns up with an alternative with an open-source core and everyone tells him to go back into the hole he came from.

Did I get it right?

Yep, that's about it.

edited January 2017

@varunchopra said:

@Clouvider said:

Sounds a lot like you're complaining about SolusVM TBH.

Not defending anyone. I don't have a part in this game. We don't use either, we're OnApp house for the HA solution that we offer, and it works for us really well, though I understand why it wouldn't work in the true low end market.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited January 2017

AnthonySmith said: you have yet to actually produce anything commercially viable, at this stage you are being dismissed as noise by people who would have been your potential customers.

You don't have a product, you just hyped and hyped and delivered nothing.

4 months late, still no date, now all you talk about is your open source platform on github instead of delivering.

I told you I would be back in 3 months when you failed to deliver, here I am, called it.

Actually right now the platform is ready for production use, I'll have a public demo out shortly once our team is back from the weekend for everyone to see (you can quote me if I don't deliver)

We've definitely had unprecedented delays, one of the reasons we had delays was due to not agreeing with the terms of an investment we relied on - which meant that we had to offset some of our senior developers to do some freelancing projects to raise funds for the development of the project - this led to the delays we had unfortunately.

Instead of deriving from the quality of the project, we've taken longer time to achieve our goals however are glad to have been able to come this far with a product that's functional.