Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtKick acquired by OnApp - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtKick acquired by OnApp

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@telephone said:

Francisco said: Was SolusVM 2.0's frontend ever rigged together or was it purely a in a UI demo state? They posted screenshots that looked pretty nice, but why start working on 2 platforms now short of "we failed to roll in the new SVM2 UI and VirtKick will be the new frontend"?

I doubt they'll even use v2 backend for VirtKick. My bet is they'll just ship v1 with a new interface (VirtKick's) and call it a revolutionary new product.

That would be the most brutal waste of an extremely limited teams time though.

I mean, OnApp is still getting development. 5.1 came out in October and 5.2 came out in December, so they do have developers somewhere fixing something, it's just they've starved SolusVM to death.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @OhMyMy said:
    and rebranded as solus 2.0 /s Wonder how they are going to deal with the 6 copyright left holders from the indiegogo campaign https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/virtkick-take-cloud-back#/

https://www.virtkick.com/blog/saas-open-source-new-website-virtkick.html
    For the opensource thing (although I doubt it's actually relevant but just in case lol)

• Neoon said: lets make a OpenSource VPS Panel.

i am ready

• NullMindNullMind Member
    edited January 2017

Hi guys

We will have more details in the coming days, but we are trilled to have the Virtkik team work with us on some exciting new projects, this is not about replacing any specific technology, but embracing new challenges that need tackling and solving some problems that our clients have that we did not cover, and this new team will help us do just that, especially in the billing side of things.

Thank you, and stay tuned.

• HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

Another dead project?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

@NullMind said:
    Hi guys

We will have more details in the coming days, but we are trilled to have the Virtkik team work with us on some exciting new projects, this is not about replacing any specific technology, but embracing new challenges that need tackling and solving some problems that our clients have that we did not cover, and this new team will help us do just that, especially in the billing side of things.

I have to ask, why do you guys need help with billing for SolusVM? That makes no sense unless you plan to use their 'your clients pay us and we pay you' perspective (similar to the SVM/OnApp cloud offering).

I'm sure I am misunderstanding what you said in some form, and being a bit critical, so please reply since I'm a client and this change might affect me.

• Who knows, now virtkick might be worth using.

@NullMind said:
    Hi guys

SaaS

Solus as a Service.

Oh god.

Francisco

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:

@NullMind said:
    Hi guys

SaaS

Solus as a Service.

Oh god.

Francisco

Lowers the barrier for entry even further...

@trewq said:

I'm just trolling around, but honestly, given where everyone else is going it's not that unthinkable.

Francisco

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@trewq said:

I'm just trolling around, but honestly, given where everyone else is going it's not that unthinkable.

Francisco

Well, a SAAS solution can be the holiest and messy code you want, as its internal and wont be scrutinized by outsiders.

My take on this is, Virtkick Dev team are now fixing solus. Its logical.

edited January 2017

@pbgben said:

Fuck, no wonder their rep on LET quit. Poor guy.

Francisco

• Guess we know who the devs for Solus v2 actually are.

Roilan

• @pbgben said:

Integrating virtkick "billing" feature to solusvm.

Making it easy to providers keep everything in one place.

That means OnApp has a plan to kill WHMCS ?

edited January 2017

@Layer said:

@pbgben said:

If that's their plan, well, best of luck to them, but I'm personally thinking it's more of a SaaS setup, that way they can finally do something with their federation stuff.

Francisco

• No offense to anyone, but when I think of Virtkick then I'm reminded of a project that seemed to changed direction a few times and ultimately gave up on their original open source promise. So, in some ways, a buyout by a company like OnApp is exactly the right place for a project like this.

Thanked by 3Jonchun iKeyZ Cam
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    No offense to anyone, but when I think of Virtkick then I'm reminded of a project that seemed to changed direction a few times and ultimately gave up on their original open source promise. So, in some ways, a buyout by a company like OnApp is exactly the right place for a project like this.

Open source to ioncube is a big leap. (sarcasm clearly, my above post)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Layer said:

@pbgben said:

@Layer said:

@pbgben said:

WHMCS is not fit for purpose when it comes to Cloud, VPS or Dedicated Servers. It lacked a lot of features compared to some more purpose build competition, and now it is not likely to get them since it has been bought up by cPanel.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

OnApp know onapp and have shown that they really can't do anything else, they destroyed solusvm by effectively stopping development and support, they delivered on nothing they promised to either solusvm customers or onapp customers in regard to solusvm.

Now they realise they are becoming a joke, ditlev does not show his face or puff his chest up publicly anymore because he has been proven wrong and everyone knows he can't deliver on his word or anything apart from onapp itself and clearly lacked the leadership to progress solusvm at all.

Buying virtkick for features that were available within the first 6 months of virtkick shows even further that OnApp are terrible at developing anything apart from OnApp, solusvm v2 has been a complete lie, they may well have had some sort of skin developed for it which was built around v1, they never showed a single admin side screenshot.

When asked about the admin side improvements for v2 they answered "what's the problem with the current admin interface" which speaks volumes.

So it seems that given a healthy budget 27 months and a supposed team of devs OnApp could not even produce a new front end for solusvm v1 with a couple of extra features to claim it is v2, realising they have not been caught lying they just bought the failing virtkick for its fancy user front end to Frankenstein it on to the solusvm v1 backend to call it v2.

Pretty sad really, we will see but again, I am not going to hold my breath any more, there are more than enough mulled versions of solusvm floating around these days, it won't take long to show when v2 is finally released that it is not at all a full rewrite.

This if anything is just....sad, if I was an OnApp customer I would seriously be losing confidence in their ability to deliver, they don't really focus to much on OnApp feature sets progressing any more either, Ditlev is obviously bored with that toy now, the focus is on the VMware orchestration because that is probably what gives him the most belly rubs in the public/corporate realm.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited January 2017

We’re currently working on replacing the original Virtkick backend with SolusVM

Virtkick (Powered by SolusVM)

but in all seriousness this is pretty interesting and nice to see that Virtkick will get even more improvements, they can take the best out of SolusVM and Virtkick and make it even better

• WSSWSS Member

@ethancedrik said:

We’re currently working on replacing the original Virtkick backend with SolusVM

Virtkick (Powered by SolusVM)

ITYM:

Thanked by 1GCat
  • Virtkick OSS forked yet?

• Got message from Damian that there will be more information on this topic later next week.

nonamehosts said: Got message from Damian that there will be more information on this topic later next week.

With OnApp in control, you can assume next week = within 3 - 12 months... maybe.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited January 2017

@ethancedrik said:
    but in all seriousness this is pretty interesting and nice to see that Virtkick will get even more improvements, they can take the best out of SolusVM and Virtkick and make it even better

I don't think you've been following the Solus V2 saga for very long . . . they are buying time, not features.

• @Microlinux said:

@ethancedrik said:

I don't think you've been following the Solus V2 saga for very long . . . they are buying time, not features.

It's sad, but true story... :-)

• rushwayrushway Member
    edited January 2017

I'm also waiting for the solusvm 2.0 update for a long time and hoping that it will be ready soon but actually I'm note sure why everyone is bashing onapp so harsh. As I can remember the 2.0 update was already announced by the old solusvm management a very long time before solus got acquired by onapp. So in fact solus wasn't able to launch the new version under the old leadership as well as the current one.

@rushway said:
    I'm also waiting for the solusvm 2.0 update for a long time and hoping that it will be ready soon but actually I'm note sure why everyone is bashing onapp so harsh. As I can remember the 2.0 update was already announced by the old solusvm management a very long time before solus got acquired by onapp. So in fact solus wasn't able to launch the new version under the old leadership as well as the current one.

Perhaps because it has actually been 27 months now since OnApp announced they would be completely rewriting solusvm with a team of developers and the said "coming soon" and "watch this space" about 18 times during that 27 month period then out right lied about the stage the development was at when people were getting sick of having a carrot dangled in front of them.

All the while support for the current v1 ground to a halt for anything that was actually broken.

Do you understand now?

• jhjh Member

To me this is obviously just buying out competitors to buy more time for SolusVM.

• @AnthonySmith said:

@rushway said:

Perhaps because it has actually been 27 months now since OnApp announced they would be completely rewriting solusvm with a team of developers and the said "coming soon" and "watch this space" about 18 times during that 27 month period then out right lied about the stage the development was at when people were getting sick of having a carrot dangled in front of them.

All the while support for the current v1 ground to a halt for anything that was actually broken.

Do you understand now?

Yes, I can see the point. But the old solusvm management announced 2.0 for the first time in september 2010 in their blog and mentioned that solusvm v2 will be released around april/may 2012.

http://solusvm.com/blog/version-2-what-why-how-when/

That was four years before onapp acquired solusvm. In my point of view onapp has from now again 21 months of development until they're officially worse than the old soluslabs management.