Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spectrum et al blocking SMTP - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spectrum et al blocking SMTP

Comments

• neverainneverain Member
    edited October 2023

@ChrisCantwell said: you're an asshole and a troublemaker who does not support freedom of speech

-

@ChrisCantwell said: the only way this is ever going to get fixed is if the mods just ban these people when they see them.

-

@ChrisCantwell said: Ban 2, and the ones that actually use the forum for legitimate purposes will stop the abuse. Others will keep going because their only purpose is abuse, and you ban them too.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@ChrisCantwell said: and the golden rule of this forum is, don't be an asshole.

Correction: Don't be a dick.
    @ehhthing please try to stay on topic.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • While conducting some Googling, I came across a somewhat unrelated thread on their community forum. In this thread, a moderator provides a phone number you can call, and they refer to it as the "business team," which, in my opinion, makes it quite likely that they will answer the call. https://community.spectrum.net/discussion/172087/outgoing-smtp-relay-is-failing.

I have also discovered another thread where individuals are experiencing the same issue: https://emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=74760.

Thanked by 1ChrisCantwell
  • bermudibermudi Member
    edited October 2023

@ehhthing said: I was just giving fair warning to providers that might want to offer you business.

@jar said: Every single time the guy starts a thread someone has to “let everyone know”

@jar said: If you dislike the guy so much you could just do what I do: Not offer help.

So how is one supposed to know? I, for one, am very glad I was given a warning instead of offering any help that could have contributed to spreading hate speech.

sadly I see other cleary don't care about society

@ehhthing said: you just had to ignore the labels and get on with your day, yet here we are. Do you see anyone else trashing this thread?

pretty well put imo, the nastiest comments ironically come from the guy complaining about "abuse" lmao

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited October 2023

@ChrisCantwell

Sorry but @jar is about the best I know but it seems his "quotas" are too low for you.

Should the LET team (thanks @angstrom and @Arkas !) really manage to bring this thread back to its topic there are good chances to get some helpful answers however; I think there are quite a few people here who know much much more about high volume SMTP than I do.

• themewthemew Member
    edited October 2023

Nevermind. Deleted.

• I'm just here to be an asshole.

• Mods can clean this up if they want to.

They choose not to.

This forum is a cesspool of Left wing trash talk peppered with advertisements.

Congrats fellas.

I guess we'll just let them continue doing this for six or seven pages then you'll remove the thread again and tell me I'm still welcome like that's a very special privilege.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited October 2023

@ChrisCantwell said: This forum is a cesspool of Left wing trash talk peppered with advertisements.

Looking for new friends, huh?

Thanked by 2emgh dahartigan
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ChrisCantwell said:

When you say stuff like this you suddenly deserve it. You have to check yours at the door too. That’s the only way this works.

• @tentor said:
    Haven't had any issues with sending emails to [email protected], however you can check your IP address for listing at multirbl.valli.org, it may help you because sometimes mail servers hide what DNSBLs they are using. This is how I found out that Abusix has their own blacklists and that they actually had false-positive on my IP address for some reason

This was helpful. I've been using MXToolbox but this shows more lists. Looks like my range is on some foreign ones, and I've already gotten my IP out of one of them.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ChrisCantwell said:

@tentor said:
    Haven't had any issues with sending emails to [email protected], however you can check your IP address for listing at multirbl.valli.org, it may help you because sometimes mail servers hide what DNSBLs they are using. This is how I found out that Abusix has their own blacklists and that they actually had false-positive on my IP address for some reason

This was helpful. I've been using MXToolbox but this shows more lists. Looks like my range is on some foreign ones, and I've already gotten my IP out of one of them.

It’s unlikely to help. These residential/business ISPs either use the big blacklists or their own.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2023

This thing is hit and miss. You might be lucky or unlucky, provider reputation helps, but only to a point.

I am hosting my mail (personal, family and stuff) with Prometeus which is one of the cleanest hosts out there, but still have problems delivering outside of our own ecosystem (personal mails hosted on various VPSes and even at home).
    While, yes, I can understand the block on residential networks (and I am fully behind it), the presumption of guilt is the default attitude these days and we have to deal with it for as long as we give so much power to corporations.
    That being said, they do have some learning algorithms, the more mail you receive from them, replies and such, the AI gets trained and the restrictions are gradually lifted. Unfortunately it can take up to a year or even more, but it probably depends on traffic and we don't have that much of it, maybe 20-30 mails a day per domain/ip.

I am not sure how this would work in case of bulk email, I suppose it would be way harder to get off the presumed guilty list, if possible at all, if you do get lots of replies, for example, it might help, dunno, I was never in that position.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@ChrisCantwell said:
    Mods can clean this up if they want to.

They choose not to.

Congrats fellas.

I guess we'll just let them continue doing this for six or seven pages then you'll remove the thread again and tell me I'm still welcome like that's a very special privilege.

Sorry, no. You yourself had the option to just ignore and flag those posts but you chose to basically ignore your own topic and to engage with those politicizing this thread and/or attacking you personally.

IMO the mods found a good balance and chose wisely to not put oil into the fire.

• 🍿 same old same old 🍿

I am going with @jar (MXRoute) because I don't need to send a lot of emails, if you are its best to go with AWS or some of those mega huge mail relay to do your heavy lifting. There is just no way with the current day shitshow that email is, to send >1k emails from a vps or random IP without getting flagged by google or those big email providers.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Sometimes intervention makes things worse...

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited October 2023

As I said;

@emgh said: It’s not resonable that he ALWAYS lets one off-topic comment ruin the whole thread, but time and time again, he does; he 100 % of the time turns it into a big nazi-or-not argument and starts going on about IQ

It honestly all seems like bait to me

He creates a thread, he always make sure to politicize the hell out of it, and once that's done, he always cry for mods to ban the "Left wing trash"

Time and time again

I can't help it but to be a bit cynical and call it calculated from the actual start

Also note that the topic is always far from being political, so much so that he can always be the victim who has his threads destoryed, and so there's a need to ban the lefties

This basically confirms it:

@ChrisCantwell said: I guess we'll just let them continue doing this for six or seven pages then you'll remove the thread again and tell me I'm still welcome like that's a very special privilege.

"To be able to protect my objective threads from this they have to get banned"

A bad swing at manipulation, that's all it is

• @emgh said: he always make sure to politicize the hell out of it

well, in this case he didn't. let's also be fair

• @bermudi said:

@emgh said: he always make sure to politicize the hell out of it

well, in this case he didn't. let's also be fair

He did, he just waited until politics was mentioned by someone else (that's the whole point, to come across as super resonable, but as soon as someone does, he THRIVES and makes sure that the rest of the thread is about politics)

• @ChrisCantwell said: mods just ban these people

@ChrisCantwell said: Ban 2

@ChrisCantwell said: and you ban them too

@ChrisCantwell said: Mods can clean this up if they want to

• bermudibermudi Member
    edited October 2023

@emgh there's also plenty of evidence that he didn't. my 2¢ but I don't see how discussing this would lead anywhere

• @bermudi said:
    @emgh there's also plenty of evidence that he didn't. my 2¢

I'm saying he made sure that the thread got political, but waited until someone mentioned it, that's my whole point

You're seriously denying that calling the forum a place for "Left wing trash" is being political?

@ChrisCantwell said: This is treason in the empire of lies built like people like you.

This isn't political either?

@ChrisCantwell said: because you're an asshole and a troublemaker who does not support freedom of speech or anything decent at all

How about this?

• tentortentor Member, Host Rep

I don't get it why you guys are participating in politics outside of offtopic category at a technical forum

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited October 2023

Again, people, let's stay on-topic

• @Arkas said:
    Sometimes intervention makes things worse...

Yeah, like when the mods delete my thread and encourage the behavior that is now happening here.

You reward them, and they keep going.

If you punish bad behavior, it works.

• @jar said:

@ChrisCantwell said:

When you say stuff like this you suddenly deserve it. You have to check yours at the door too. That’s the only way this works.

Actually, I don't have to sit here and be abused all day by scumbags and just take it. That's ridiculous. This is what these people live for. The right to abuse people without consequence.

The mods should clean up the thread, ban the bad actors, and then this crap won't happen. But I've been gone for hours and this nonsense keeps going and the mods do nothing.

So don't tell me that I'm just supposed to shut up and be abused. These people are malicious dishonest scum and in due course they're going to get the tables turned on them, because threads like this show everybody that there's nothing decent about what they do.

They are BULLIES, and if all I can do here is show people that, then this is 2nd best to the mods actually moderating.

• @ChrisCantwell said: This is what these people live for.

I mean, it's really funny that you think you're so important for people to plan their days around you lmao...

@ChrisCantwell said: The mods should clean up the thread, ban the bad actors

Then you should be the first one gone. Yeah, the conversation was taken off-topic but if someone has spent their time on this thread insulting and attacking others while playing victim has been you all along. I'm actually starting to agree with @emgh, since you keep blowing everything out of proportion.

@ChrisCantwell said: and be abused

Again with the victim mentality. If you call this thread "abuse" then you should buy a dictionary

@ChrisCantwell said: mods actually moderating.

Yeah, they should probably start by cleaning up all the insults you have gratuitously thrown around here

@tentor said: I don't get it why you guys are participating in politics outside of offtopic category at a technical forum

It seems clear to me now that it is because of OP's fault.

Thanked by 2emgh Marx
  • @bermudi said: It seems clear to me now that it is because of OP's fault.

<3

• @bermudi said: It seems clear to me now that it is because of OP's fault.

The OP asked for help with an email problem. Have you even mentioned email since you got here?

• @ChrisCantwell said: The OP asked for help with an email problem. Have you even mentioned email since you got here?

well you got me there hahahah

ok, so what would be the proper etiquette here then? to open an entirely new thread just to comment something about this thread? It feels so tacky. I mean, it's not my fault that your fame makes you so disagreeable to the point that people feel the need to mention who you are because most sane people would understandably won't want any type of association with any of the subjects you defend and champion. I thought you were all about free speech. Where is then the liberty to express disagreement and contempt towards what you represent?

Imho, this is precisely the issue with free speech absolutism but I digress...

Thanked by 1emgh
This discussion has been closed.