Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spectrum et al blocking SMTP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spectrum et al blocking SMTP

I recently switched my SMTP server from one VPS to another, and find that Spectrum, Charter, RoadRunner, and associated email addresses are being bounced automatically with a Spectrum.net bounce message, apparently as a consequence of my entire IP range being blocked prior to my use of this server.

I've had this problem in the past, notably with Microsoft and AT&T, but communicating with them resolved it within a nearly reasonable timeframe.

Spectrum is proving more difficult to communicate with. There is no response from postmaster@ and their website just directs me to chatbots with canned responses for customer service questions. There's no obvious way to get in touch with a responsible party.

Anybody got any advice on how to handle this?

Comments

• my advice, switch to @jar

• Contact them on social media, twitter and Instagram.

• If whole range is bad raputation,it is better to change to other IP range,it is really wasting of your time to make it remove from block.
    I have one of my IP get blocked by BARRACUDA,as nearly whole range is in list,even though i can get removed from BARRACUDA,but few weeks later,it is in list again. I am 100% sure zero spam from my vps,just because too many bad neighbours.

• lol no

• @Zyra said:
    my advice, switch to @jar

I have considered using @jar MXRoute in a limited fashion, but their 300/emails/sender/hour limitation clashes with my requirement. I have a newsletter with thousands of subscribers and waiting all day to get those emails delivered is not an option.

• @tommyluo said:
    If whole range is bad raputation,it is better to change to other IP range,it is really wasting of your time to make it remove from block.
    I have one of my IP get blocked by BARRACUDA,as nearly whole range is in list,even though i can get removed from BARRACUDA,but few weeks later,it is in list again. I am 100% sure zero spam from my vps,just because too many bad neighbours.

My IP range is not on a reputable blacklist. This is unique to the ISP. If I was stuck in Spamhaus or something I wouldn't bother with the host for such a purpose.

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    lol no

Well, I guess that settles it. If this guy laughs and says no, then the Internet will just have to accept rampant sabotage of the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol and route all our communications through a handful of providers selected by the most powerful corporate interests in the country.

Boy do I miss the good ole days of the industry, back when there were network administrators who were responsible for their operations and people with 3 digit IQs who tried to solve problems.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • Christopher Charles Cantwell (born November 12, 1980), also known as the Crying Nazi,[1][2][3] is an American white supremacist, neo-Nazi, and antisemitic conspiracy theorist.[1][5][13]

lol no

Thanked by 2bermudi HalfEatenPie
  • @ehhthing said:

Christopher Charles Cantwell (born November 12, 1980), also known as the Crying Nazi,[1][2][3] is an American white supremacist, neo-Nazi, and antisemitic conspiracy theorist.[1][5][13]

lol no

You're off topic, and the golden rule of this forum is, don't be an asshole.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @ChrisCantwell said:

@ehhthing said:

Christopher Charles Cantwell (born November 12, 1980), also known as the Crying Nazi,[1][2][3] is an American white supremacist, neo-Nazi, and antisemitic conspiracy theorist.[1][5][13]

lol no

No I was just giving fair warning to providers that might want to offer you business. I'm fully in support of freedom of speech but I think that it's fair to warn providers that your business may be troublesome and (depending on how they feel) ethically unconscionable.

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ChrisCantwell said:

@Zyra said:
    my advice, switch to @jar

I have considered using @jar MXRoute in a limited fashion, but their 300/emails/sender/hour limitation clashes with my requirement. I have a newsletter with thousands of subscribers and waiting all day to get those emails delivered is not an option.

Eventually I’ll have a bulk mailing solution. I just wouldn’t advise anyone to hold their breath.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @ehhthing said:

@ChrisCantwell said:

@ehhthing said:

lol no

No I was just giving fair warning to providers that might want to offer you business. I'm fully in support of freedom of speech but I think that it's fair to warn providers that your business may be troublesome and (depending on how they feel) ethically unconscionable.

No, you're off topic putting politics into a technical question because you're an asshole and a troublemaker who does not support freedom of speech or anything decent at all, you're just making trouble.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited October 2023

@ChrisCantwell said:

@ehhthing said:

@ChrisCantwell said:

@ehhthing said:

lol no

No, you're off topic putting politics into a technical question because you're an asshole and a troublemaker who does not support freedom of speech or anything decent at all, you're just making trouble.

I'm sorry, but if you believe that people care whether you are a neo-nazi or not, then I think the fact that you are a neo-nazi is the thing causing problems. You could've just refused to engage in this discussion, and left the context as it is. I'm sure that if you're right in thinking that this shouldn't matter, nobody else would care either.

Thanked by 1bermudi
    edited October 2023

@ehhthing Your opinion of this individual has been established. As has mine. As has many others here. If you believe the user should be banned, please reach out to the mods and admins. You are not providing helpful information to anyone. If the user wanted to hide, their unique legal name would not be their username.

• @jar said:
    @ehhthing Your opinion of this individual has been established. As has mine. As has many others here. If you believe the user should be banned, please reach out to the mods and admins. You are not providing helpful information to anyone. If the user wanted to hide, their unique legal name would not be their username.

I do not believe they should be banned, but I don't think providers here generally google their clients because its pretty rare that they be actual neo-nazis.

Thanked by 1bermudi

@ehhthing said:

@jar said:

I do not believe they should be banned, but I don't think providers here generally google their clients because its pretty rare that they be actual neo-nazis.

Right, but it’s every. Fucking. Thread. We. Fucking. Get. It.

• @jar said:

@ehhthing said:

@jar said:

I'm confused I didn't even know who this person was until I googled them today, I have not posted any similar reply...

Thanked by 1bermudi
    edited October 2023

@ehhthing said:

@jar said:

@ehhthing said:

@jar said:

I'm confused I didn't even know who this person was until I googled them today, I have not posted any similar reply...

Every single time the guy starts a thread someone has to “let everyone know” and do you know what it leads to? Over 6 pages of “here’s why I hate this guy” instead of technical discussion. It makes this place look so incredibly douchey. Dude has 28 discussions started and like 5 visible, this community is so hostile a member can barely have a sane thread, they all have to be hidden because of what everyone else devolves them into.

Our members were always douchebags, outcasts, and cunts. Hell, we’ve counted international criminals among our ranks here over the years (and treated them better). But we only went this far when someone scammed the community. We used to leave the rest at the door or limit it to the Cest Pit.

If you dislike the guy so much you could just do what I do: Not offer help. You know I know the answers to these questions, but who I help here is my choice. If you don't like someone, don't help them. Turning this place into "right/left wing extremists can't be allowed to have discussions" was exactly what the rule against politics was designed to prevent, because it severely limits the growth and value of our community during a time when political tensions are so high worldwide that almost everyone is viewed as a "right/left wing extremist" by someone else. It hamstrings our community and devalues it's content, I fully believe that.

There's plenty of room for hate on the internet, it's the whole reason Reddit exists.

• @ehhthing said:

@jar said:

@ehhthing said:

@jar said:

Right, so you just go scrolling through tech support threads Googling names to hunt Nazis as a hobby. I got ya.

Liars deceive because the truth of what they do would harm their outcomes.

Everything I do is honest and legal.

This is treason in the empire of lies built like people like you.

Thanked by 2fatchan sillycat
  • I know it's too much fortitude to expect at this juncture, but the only way this is ever going to get fixed is if the mods just ban these people when they see them.

They'll drag this place into the gutter unless that happens. They already have done this.

There are plenty of users on this forum who I've spoken to off site who live in fear of these people. It's malicious and dishonest bullying and what they really hate about people like me is that I do not cower from them.

For the rest of the world, this abuse will only end when responsible adults force it to end.

Thanked by 2sillycat jsg
  • @jar said: they all have to be hidden because of what everyone else devolves them into.

It's actually a very small number of people, comparative to the user base of the forum.

Ban 2, and the ones that actually use the forum for legitimate purposes will stop the abuse. Others will keep going because their only purpose is abuse, and you ban them too.

By the time it's all over, LET has lost maybe 12 users, and from that point forward, people can live in peace and the discussions will be more productive.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • Sending emails from your own IPs is always hard as most email providers simply block emails from IPs they don't know. Your best bet to ensure deliverability would be to use an email relay service like Amazon SES.

It is pretty affordable if you aren't sending big files with the emails ($0.10/1000 emails). There are other providers if you don't want to use Amazon (Mailgun, Sendgrid, etc).

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @ChrisCantwell said:

@ehhthing said:

@jar said:

@ehhthing said:

@jar said:

Right, so you just go scrolling through tech support threads Googling names to hunt Nazis as a hobby. I got ya.

No because I found your profile picture to be weirdly familiar, frankly if you look at my comment history this is the first time I've said something to this tone.

Liars deceive because the truth of what they do would harm their outcomes.
    This is treason in the empire of lies built like people like you.

I'm sorry but I think you just want to sound smart, these statements are meaningless.

I know it's too much fortitude to expect at this juncture, but the only way this is ever going to get fixed is if the mods just ban these people when they see them.

Oh hey look, the guy who complains about not being able to find an outlet to express his opinions, being excluded from almost all online discussion, here he is, calling for people to get banned off online platforms! Man, I have explicitly said that I don't want you to be banned, and I stand behind this, but holy shit you are not making it easy.

Frankly I'm not sure why you even care that you're being labelled as a neo-nazi. If you truly believe in what you preach then shouldn't you be proud to be labelled as such? This discussion wasn't a foregone conclusion, you just had to ignore the labels and get on with your day, yet here we are. Do you see anyone else trashing this thread?

That being said, I'm going to leave this thread now because I think I've said everything I have to say.

Thanked by 2bermudi Ananchoreta
  • tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

Haven't had any issues with sending emails to [email protected], however you can check your IP address for listing at multirbl.valli.org, it may help you because sometimes mail servers hide what DNSBLs they are using. This is how I found out that Abusix has their own blacklists and that they actually had false-positive on my IP address for some reason

Thanked by 1ChrisCantwell
  • @jar I agree with you fully, but expecting NOBODY to bring up the fact that the guy’s a nazi is just not realistic

Instead, I think it’s about time @ChrisCantwell learns how to fucking ignore a comment on the internet

It’s not resonable that he ALWAYS lets one off-topic comment ruin the whole thread, but time and time again, he does; he 100 % of the time turns it into a big nazi-or-not argument and starts going on about IQ

So while I 100 % agree with how annoying these threads are, it’s Chris that needs to grow up because his behaviour is incompatible with the internet

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@ChrisCantwell said:

Everything I do is honest and legal.

No. Don't lie. You are a violent, convicted felon. You are scum.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited October 2023

People, let's stay on-topic

The OP asked about how to get in touch with Spectrum regarding blocked emails -- this is the topic

The fact that the OP wears his identity on his username shouldn't be held against him at every turn. There have been (and still are) plenty of users here who create alts to hide behind. (We ban them when we find them.) I give the OP credit for not doing this

If the OP started a thread in which he expressed his political views in some way, it would be fair game to react to them (but we'd probably close such a thread pretty quickly anyway), but this is not such a thread

• emghemgh Member
    edited October 2023

@angstrom said: The fact that the OP wears his identity on his username shouldn't be held against him at every turn

Except for:

@ChrisCantwell said: because you're an asshole and a troublemaker who does not support freedom of speech or anything decent at all

and:

@ChrisCantwell said: This is treason in the empire of lies built like people like you.

Again, I agree with strictly moderating these topics to stay on-topic, otherwise the same things are just going to be repeated in every thread he makes, nobody likes that

BUT, there should be some personal responsibility on the OP to not ALWAYS, 100 % of the time, stir the pot as much as possible

It's like he deep down wants EXACTLY this reaction, as in, a well executed bait

• @emgh said:

@angstrom said: The fact that the OP wears his identity on his username shouldn't be held against him at every turn

Except for:

@ChrisCantwell said: because you're an asshole and a troublemaker who does not support freedom of speech or anything decent at all

and:

@ChrisCantwell said: This is treason in the empire of lies built like people like you.

Although I don't approve of these kinds of reactions on the OP's part, I imagine that he would argue that he was simply reacting to off-topic comments made by others

As I said above, the fact that the OP wears his identity on his username shouldn't be held against him at every turn

It's another question how the OP should best react to off-topic comments, but logically, it would seem more pertinent (on a hosting forum) to try to stop/block such off-topic comments to begin with

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @angstrom said: it would seem more pertinent (on a hosting forum) to try to stop/block such off-topic comments to begin with

Pertinent, 100 % yes, realistic though, not as sure ..

Anyway, I admire your patience :)

Thanked by 2angstrom bermudi
This discussion has been closed.