Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How To Get Enough Non-Spammy Posts To Earn A Free VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How To Get Enough Non-Spammy Posts To Earn A Free VPS

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
edited March 2023 in General

Hi @BasToTheMax and @openid!

You guys both mentioned in the FreeVPS.org thread that you needed more posts to qualify for a free vps. Please see here and here.

Well, here is an idea for you. Maybe you could post in this thread about what you are working on, questions you have, issues with which you need help, and so on. Before long you will have enough non-spammy posts to qualify for a free VPS from FreeVPS.org!

Besides FreeVPS.org, I've been messing around with a few servers at Hetzner, a little C programming, DevStack, OpenStack, OpenDev, Proxmox, Fedora Rawhide, and Xv6. Yesterday and this morning I've been helping a friend upgrade several Mail-in-a-Box installs. So I would be interested in whatever folks might want to share about these topics. Or other tech topics.

The main thing is, if you're new to LET and need to raise your count of non-spammy posts in order to get a free vps, here's your chance! :) What are you working on? :)

Friendly greetings!

Tom

Comments

• i want a free lambo.

• I am (still) trying to setup scripts to use for automated backups on a storage share for my local Unraid server. In theory my idea is to tar or zip my data, then encrypt that file, then move it to a remote storage server (probably my 4tb at crunchbits). But how to do the tar/zip operation, then which program to encrypt (kopia, borg, restic?), and then do I use rsync, rclone, etc.

Basically decision paralysis. Right now I just have the data "backed up" to an extra OneDrive account I made and stuck on our family plan, but that's really just a sync so not really backup in the sense I'd like. Still serves the purpose of "if my apartment burnt down would I have my data" of course, but doesn't affect the "oh shit I deleted an important file 3 weeks ago" possibility.

Thanked by 1greentea
    1. be me
  • @SocksAreComfortable are crusty socks comfortable

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

what you are doing

I am repairing my Mumbai and Miami servers affected by the closure of Route48.

questions you have

How to resist the urge of signing up for FreeVPS?

issues with which you need help

I am having trouble to consolidate into fewer VPS so that most of them can be canceled.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • oh yes forgot the main topic
    1. what i am doing
    currently trying to sleep but im doing stuff with my asn
    2. questions i have
    how do i still have a will to live
    3. issues i need help with
    mental

Thanked by 1emgh
  • I hate nginx. Always run into issues migrating

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@bamboo4409 said:
    I hate nginx. Always run into issues migrating

How about posting a specific example? Thanks!

Thanked by 2bamboo4409 greentea
  • @bamboo4409 said:

how so

Thanked by 1bamboo4409
  • I have to migrate a masto instance again. Use s3 for images and don't run into issues importing the database...

But nginx config files just never seem to cooperate. Going to carve out some time to migrate Mon or Tues. If I got help, would be so grateful 🍻 🍻

edited March 2023

@SocksAreComfortable said: In theory my idea is to tar or zip my data, then encrypt that file, then move it to a remote storage server (probably my 4tb at crunchbits). But how to do the tar/zip operation, then which program to encrypt (kopia, borg, restic?), and then do I use rsync, rclone, etc.

What I do might be described as way too simple, but it seems to work, more or less.

I have some backup drives, both local, and online. The drives are organized by OS, year, and month. Every month I manually tar up my files and copy them to my current backup drives. The monthly tar isn't as hard as it sounds, since usually there's just my /root and /home directories plus, sometimes, /etc and /var/log. With how cheap storage has become, I sometimes simply copy the files without even tarring them.

If a file would be a pain to lose, I back up that individual file before, occasionally during, and then also after I work on the file.

Usually I make sha256sums. Occasionally I encrypt files with ccrypt. I like ccrypt because it's easy to use from the command line. Often I test my ability to restore from the backups.

Mostly I pretty easily can find what I want. It might be nice to have better indexing and search capabilities. Doing backups very simply avoids many of the decisions surrounding more complex tools.

Every once in a while hard drives die. Sometimes suddenly! After my first drive death (when I was lucky because a few alligator clips inside the drive allowed collection of the data), I learned that multiple backups were a necessity. Later, when I had multiple backups and tested restores, drive explosions were not a problem.

How do you do your backups?

edited March 2023

@bamboo4409 said:
    I have to migrate a masto instance again. Use s3 for images and don't run into issues importing the database...

But nginx config files just never seem to cooperate. Going to carve out some time to migrate Mon or Tues. If I got help, would be so grateful 🍻 🍻

From what and to what will you be migrating? Are you upgrading software in addition to migrating or just moving an instance from one server to another?

What's the overview of your migration procedure? Could you set up the new instance, make sure it's working, and then migrate the data? Or something else?

Thanked by 1bamboo4409
  • loayloay Member

I'm not in need for any free vps at the moment, but thanks for what you're doing. If I had this chance few years ago, I think my life would be different.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles greentea
  • @SocksAreComfortable said:
    I am (still) trying to setup scripts to use for automated backups on a storage share for my local Unraid server. In theory my idea is to tar or zip my data, then encrypt that file, then move it to a remote storage server (probably my 4tb at crunchbits). But how to do the tar/zip operation, then which program to encrypt (kopia, borg, restic?), and then do I use rsync, rclone, etc.

Basically decision paralysis. Right now I just have the data "backed up" to an extra OneDrive account I made and stuck on our family plan, but that's really just a sync so not really backup in the sense I'd like. Still serves the purpose of "if my apartment burnt down would I have my data" of course, but doesn't affect the "oh shit I deleted an important file 3 weeks ago" possibility.

If you are mentally strong enough to not tar or zip the data, you can use the free Cloudberry Backup from the Community Apps on Unraid. I've been using it for about to year to push all my backups to Unraid then from Unraid to my various VPS's & even cloud providers like OneDrive & Backblaze.

Only downside is if you want encryption you'll need to pay for the $50 license, although in my opinion it's sort of worth it, CBB makes managing my backups an absolute breeze.

• beanman109beanman109 Member
    edited March 2023

@SocksAreComfortable said: I am (still) trying to setup scripts to use for automated backups on a storage share for my local Unraid server. In theory my idea is to tar or zip my data, then encrypt that file, then move it to a remote storage server (probably my 4tb at crunchbits). But how to do the tar/zip operation, then which program to encrypt (kopia, borg, restic?), and then do I use rsync, rclone, etc.

However if you really want to use a script for this.
    edit: no encryption process in this one, but shouldn't but too hard to throw in bcrypt before it transfers the file

#!/bin/bash
    TODAY=$(date +%Y%m%d)
    TARGETS=( '/etc' '/home' '/root' '/var/www' )
    BACKUP_ROOT=192.168.0.1:/backups
    BACKUP_DIR="${BACKUP_ROOT}/${TODAY}"

echo "$(date +%D" "%r): Beginning backup"
    mkdir -p $BACKUP_DIR

for i in ${TARGETS[@]}; do
        if rsync -Ra $i ${BACKUP_DIR}; then
            echo "Successfully backed up $i"
        else
            echo "Failed backing up $i"
        fi
    done

if tar -czf "${BACKUP_DIR}.tgz" $BACKUP_DIR &> /dev/null; then
        rm -rf $BACKUP_DIR
        echo "Successfully compressed ${BACKUP_DIR}"
    else
        rm -rf $BACKUP_DIR
        echo "Failed compressing ${BACKUP_DIR}.tgz"
        echo "$(date +%D" "%r): Backup failed"
        exit 1
    fi

echo "Removing backups older than 30 days"
    find $BACKUP_ROOT -name '*.tgz' -mtime +30 -delete -print
    echo "$(date +%D" "%r): Backup complete"

• How do you get your own personal asn?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@intermall said:
    How do you get your own personal asn?

@Cloudie @RickBakkr

• @intermall said:

I'd recommend first practising in dn42 so you dont have to face as many problems as I did for the first couple of weeks.

• @beanman109 said:

@SocksAreComfortable said:
    I am (still) trying to setup scripts to use for automated backups on a storage share for my local Unraid server. In theory my idea is to tar or zip my data, then encrypt that file, then move it to a remote storage server (probably my 4tb at crunchbits). But how to do the tar/zip operation, then which program to encrypt (kopia, borg, restic?), and then do I use rsync, rclone, etc.

If you are mentally strong enough to not tar or zip the data, you can use the free Cloudberry Backup from the Community Apps on Unraid. I've been using it for about to year to push all my backups to Unraid then from Unraid to my various VPS's & even cloud providers like OneDrive & Backblaze.

Only downside is if you want encryption you'll need to pay for the $50 license, although in my opinion it's sort of worth it, CBB makes managing my backups an absolute breeze.

Thanks for that script, and for the recommendation for cloudberry -- I've heard of that one but hadn't tried it yet. I go back and forth on whether I think encryption is necessary or not for it, but part of me wants to use it just to get used to how it works!

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2023

I've been trying to make my own vps and container control panel with a billing system using proxmox.

I am planning to do a rewrite tho

• Working on multiple projects, including bypassing my friend's colleges dictatorship-ish internet filters.

• sh97sh97 Member

@BasToTheMax said:
    I've been trying to make my own vps and container control panel with a billing system using proxmox.

Which language is it in?

@sh97 said:

@BasToTheMax said:

Which language is it in?

Javascript / Nodejs

Thanked by 1sh97

@atroxz said:
    i want a free lambo.

Why not a Tesla?

edited March 2023

@bamboo4409 said:

I never had any problems with nginx.
    What exactly is going wrong?

I'll probably have enough posts in a few days, but my account won't be old enough :(

I'll have to wait 2 weeks.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@BasToTheMax said:
    I'll probably have enough posts in a few days, but my account won't be old enough :(

Posts screenshots of the panel!

We don’t care that’s it’s not complete or that you’re going to rewrite it better, let’s see what you’ve got!

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
  • @Otus9051 said:

@intermall said:

I'd recommend first practising in dn42 so you dont have to face as many problems as I did for the first couple of weeks.

May you share your experiences on setting up your ASN? I'd like to learn more

@emgh said:

@BasToTheMax said:

We don’t care that’s it’s not complete or that you’re going to rewrite it better, let’s see what you’ve got!

I am on mobile right now. This is the only screenshot I have available on the moment. I'll send more later.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@BasToTheMax said:

@emgh said:

@BasToTheMax said:

I am on mobile right now. This is the only screenshot I have available on the moment. I'll send more later.

Please do!

Looks GREAT!