Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How To Get Enough Non-Spammy Posts To Earn A Free VPS - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How To Get Enough Non-Spammy Posts To Earn A Free VPS

13»

Comments

• @Otus9051 said:

@bamboo4409 said:
    I hate nginx. Always run into issues migrating

how so

Exactly. There seem to be 1001 things that go wrong with an nginx move, or tweak, or adjustment, and you either luckily stumble into a fix, or just start from zero. I've done that too many times and just stick with Apache, or use something like Yunohost or Cloudron.

Don't get me started on Caddy.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@rasping5978 said:
    I saw the donation option to get the free VPS. May I know if it is still valid? I just happen to get introduced to this platform about 3 months ago but did not have an account till now. Is there any drawbacks to the donation option vs the 3 months with 50 non spammy posts? Does my account need to be 3 months also even with the donation? Thank you!

Hi @rasping5978!

These are especially excellent questions because I am not sure about the answers. Please let me try to address your questions one at a time.

• Is the donation option still valid?

I think the donation option still might be valid. Interestingly, the donation option appears in the OP of the FreeVPS thread but the donation option seems missing from the FreeVPS.org website! Maybe the donation option needs either to be added to the website or else removed from the OP. @TheOnlyDK @FatGrizzly @sh97

• [D]onation option vs the 3 months with 50 non spammy posts?

Back when FreeVPS.org was starting, there used to be a lottery for awarding VPSes, because FreeVPS.org did not think it had sufficient resources to give a free VPS to everyone who asked. The advantage of the donation method was that the donors got guaranteed VPSes without having to be among the group of lottery winners.

I guess that, now, the advantage of the donation method might be escaping the three month / 50 posts requirement. @TheOnlyDK @FatGrizzly @sh97

• Does my account need to be 3 months also even with the donation?

Sorry, I do not know the answer to this excellent question. I am not sure, but I do not remember FreeVPS.org receiving a donation method VPS request from a brand new member. @TheOnlyDK @FatGrizzly @sh97

Thanks @rasping5978 for helping the FreeVPS.org team clarify the requirements! My personal opinion is that FreeVPS.org ought to give you your free VPS as a reward for helping us. But that is just my opinion. What does the team think? What do other members think? @TheOnlyDK @FatGrizzly @sh97 :)

Thanked by 1rasping5978
  • sh97sh97 Member
    edited March 2023

@Not_Oles said:

@rasping5978 said:
    I saw the donation option to get the free VPS. May I know if it is still valid? I just happen to get introduced to this platform about 3 months ago but did not have an account till now. Is there any drawbacks to the donation option vs the 3 months with 50 non spammy posts? Does my account need to be 3 months also even with the donation? Thank you!

Hi @rasping5978!

These are especially excellent questions because I am not sure about the answers. Please let me try to address your questions one at a time.

• Is the donation option still valid?

I think the donation option still might be valid. Interestingly, the donation option appears in the OP of the FreeVPS thread but the donation option seems missing from the FreeVPS.org website! Maybe the donation option needs either to be added to the website or else removed from the OP. @TheOnlyDK @FatGrizzly @sh97

• [D]onation option vs the 3 months with 50 non spammy posts?

Back when FreeVPS.org was starting, there used to be a lottery for awarding VPSes, because FreeVPS.org did not think it had sufficient resources to give a free VPS to everyone who asked. The advantage of the donation method was that the donors got guaranteed VPSes without having to be among the group of lottery winners.

I guess that, now, the advantage of the donation method might be escaping the three month / 50 posts requirement. @TheOnlyDK @FatGrizzly @sh97

• Does my account need to be 3 months also even with the donation?

Sorry, I do not know the answer to this excellent question. I am not sure, but I do not remember FreeVPS.org receiving a donation method VPS request from a brand new member. @TheOnlyDK @FatGrizzly @sh97

Thanks @rasping5978 for helping the FreeVPS.org team clarify the requirements! My personal opinion is that FreeVPS.org ought to give you your free VPS as a reward for helping us. But that is just my opinion. What does the team think? What do other members think? @TheOnlyDK @FatGrizzly @sh97 :)

I can answer 1 and 2.
    1. Yes, the donation option is pretty much valid, we had someone sign up on the donor plan a few weeks back.
    2. The difference between the regular (3months, 50 post) and donor plan is that, you can request upto 2x the resources of the regular plan in the donor plan - for more details visit the thread, it's mentioned in detail over there.
    3. I'm not sure about this, so we can wait for DK or FG to reply.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles rasping5978
  • Donating will get you more resources, it's not to bypass the requirements. We've put that in place to encourage community participation and avoid abuse. If you've just joined the community but have been actively discussing (non spammy posts, tutorials etc.), we're happy to look at exceptions. However, that's not to say we'll always guarantee anyone will get exceptions to the 3 months 50 posts requirements.

We still have plenty of resources and we're always trying to add more servers, so even if you don't qualify today, you could join us eventually, as long as you contribute in one way or another.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles rasping5978
  • emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

Since this thread really don’t have a topic anyway:

When did Kim Dotcom become so pathetic?

This is your chance to boost your post count legit. Answer.

• @Not_Oles @TheOnlyDK @sh97 Thank you so much for the replies! I understand the requirements and limitations of donating and that is valid. I also understand the aim of freevps.org is to encourage community engagement and I hope this continues to allow starters to hop onto learning VPS. As a computing student myself, my goal of getting a free VPS here (if any), is to learn the setting up, exploring limitations of low resource VPS. I am still fine with a 3 months / 50 posts requirement and will do my best to active contribution!

Thanked by 3sh97 TheOnlyDK Not_Oles
  • I have nginx installed
    I always having issues with changing index.html

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • I have register let for years and post few.
    for now I just use vps build a personal website and vpn server

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@liaoxx said:
    I have register let for years and post few.

Hi @liaoxx!

I see what you are doing to bump up your post count. You are adding a large number of very brief posts all over the forum. It's hard for me to know what the FreeVPS team will think of all these very short posts.

However, I am guessing that you might not be a native English speaker. One thing you could try is to write your posts in your native language and then use Google Translate to move them into English. That's not perfect, but it works pretty well.

It would be really hard for me to post in a language I do not know. Right now, I am reading a Chinese forum and sometimes posting there even though my Chinese is . . . ungood. Since maybe I understand a little about the issues you face, maybe I could offer a suggestion?

Maybe you could tell us a little about your website is set up? And another post about your vpn? A third post could be about how your IP address is identified to the sites you are visiting?

I am guessing that the FreeVPS team would be more likely to accept you if you make at least a few posts that are longer and include at least a few details. Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you! :)

Best wishes!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:

@liaoxx said:
    I have register let for years and post few.

Hi @liaoxx!

I see what you are doing to bump up your post count. You are adding a large number of very brief posts all over the forum. It's hard for me to know what the FreeVPS team will think of all these very short posts.

However, I am guessing that you might not be a native English speaker. One thing you could try is to write your posts in your native language and then use Google Translate to move them into English. That's not perfect, but it works pretty well.

It would be really hard for me to post in a language I do not know. Right now, I am reading a Chinese forum and sometimes posting there even though my Chinese is . . . ungood. Since maybe I understand a little about the issues you face, maybe I could offer a suggestion?

Maybe you could tell us a little about your website is set up? And another post about your vpn? A third post could be about how your IP address is identified to the sites you are visiting?

I am guessing that the FreeVPS team would be more likely to accept you if you make at least a few posts that are longer and include at least a few details. Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you! :)

Best wishes!

Tom

Hi bro,
    Thank you for your suggestion, I will try to reply with more meaningful content, as you said, I am not a native English speaker.

1. What do I use vps for?
      a. As I said in other replies, sometimes it is used to make a blog, although I have done it and deleted it many times.
      b. Used to set up vpn, I prefer to use Google to search, and I will also use it to look at youtube.
    2. Share a recent event
      I asked an American friend to help me register an openai account, because it banned registration in our country.
    Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Hey @liaoxx!

May I please ask why do you write your blog and then delete it? Repeatedly. . . . :)

Sounds like fun to have the OpenAI account! Like (almost) everybody else, I've been very impressed with what is happening in AI these days. Some of the stuff which has been written by AI is really great!

Best!

Your bro Tom

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2023

Hi everyone.

I've been working on the backed part of the vps panel i've been developing.
    The 1.0.0 release is almost done. It doesn't contain a lot of features tho, but I will add them in the following releases.
    Current features:

• Logging in
    • Starting and stopping a vps
    • Seeing the root password of a vps
    • Unit tests (using jest and supertest (nodejs packages))

On the moment, an admin can only create a vps manually on proxmox and add a record in the database.

Planned features:

• VNC (Web) Console
    • Simple admin panel
    • Automatic creation of vps's
    • Adding ports (for NAT VPS's)

I still need to do the frontend. The ETA of the 1.0.0 version is in about 1-2 weeks*.
    *this can change

Thanked by 2Not_Oles sh97
  • @Not_Oles said:
    Hey @liaoxx!

May I please ask why do you write your blog and then delete it? Repeatedly. . . . :)

Sounds like fun to have the OpenAI account! Like (almost) everybody else, I've been very impressed with what is happening in AI these days. Some of the stuff which has been written by AI is really great!

Best!

Your bro Tom

Because if I have a blog, I will feel that the content is simple and not import,also I am not good at back up blog content, so when I have
    meet some problems or need do some test on.my vps, I may reinstall the system and my blog will be gone.
    But if I don't have a blog, sometimes I want to write something to record, so I will build it again when I have nothing to do.
    This is why it was deleted and rebuilt.

As for chatgpt, it is interesting. I asked a few professional questions about MCU, it works very well with a little guidance. Moreover, many accounts on the forum have been blocked. Mine is still normal. I guess it because i used a Private number of my friend.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles