Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How To Get Enough Non-Spammy Posts To Earn A Free VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How To Get Enough Non-Spammy Posts To Earn A Free VPS

Comments

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

@emgh said:

@BasToTheMax said:

@emgh said:

@BasToTheMax said:
    I'll probably have enough posts in a few days, but my account won't be old enough :(

I'll have to wait 2 weeks.

Posts screenshots of the panel!

We don’t care that’s it’s not complete or that you’re going to rewrite it better, let’s see what you’ve got!

I am on mobile right now. This is the only screenshot I have available on the moment. I'll send more later.

Please do!

Looks GREAT!

I do use a template for frontend, since I am terribly bad at it. I am more specialized in backend.

• emghemgh Member

@BasToTheMax said:

@emgh said:

@BasToTheMax said:

@emgh said:

@BasToTheMax said:
    I'll probably have enough posts in a few days, but my account won't be old enough :(

We don’t care that’s it’s not complete or that you’re going to rewrite it better, let’s see what you’ve got!

I am on mobile right now. This is the only screenshot I have available on the moment. I'll send more later.

Please do!

Looks GREAT!

I do use a template for frontend, since I am terribly bad at it. I am more specialized in backend.

Still, the layout etc.

Same though, I've got no interest in frontend, I've got Chat GPT to build a frontend for my database that actually works quite good with Tailwind CSS

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
    edited March 2023

@emgh said:

@BasToTheMax said:

@emgh said:

@BasToTheMax said:

@emgh said:

@BasToTheMax said:

Please do!

Looks GREAT!

Still, the layout etc.

Same though, I've got no interest in frontend, I've got Chat GPT to build a frontend for my database that actually works quite good with Tailwind CSS

I don't use chatgtp a lot, sometimes it generates unsafe code.
    ChatGPT once generated some frontend code where the admin api key was fully exposed.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@BasToTheMax said:

@emgh said:

@BasToTheMax said:

@emgh said:

@BasToTheMax said:

@emgh said:

@BasToTheMax said:

Please do!

Looks GREAT!

Still, the layout etc.

I don't use chatgtp a lot, sometimes it generates unsafe code.
    ChatGPT once generated some frontend code where the admin api key was fully exposed.

Damn.

It seems better with GPT 4.

Makes less mistakes for sure.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@BasToTheMax said:

@BasToTheMax I think you already have enough posts. Two weeks isn't so long, but, maybe, if you post a polite request in the FreeVPS.org thread, maybe the guys might consider your request a few days early?

Is the source code to your panel open and available?

Do you know about FOSSBilling? Awhile back they were working on integrating with Proxmox, but I don't know the status of it.

@Otus9051 said:

@intermall said:
    How do you get your own personal asn?

I'd recommend first practising in dn42 so you dont have to face as many problems as I did for the first couple of weeks.

@Otus9051 What problems did you face? How did you fix them? Thanks!

• edited March 2023

@SocksAreComfortable said: I am (still) trying to setup scripts to use for automated backups on a storage share for my local Unraid server. In theory my idea is to tar or zip my data, then encrypt that file, then move it to a remote storage server (probably my 4tb at crunchbits). But how to do the tar/zip operation, then which program to encrypt (kopia, borg, restic?), and then do I use rsync, rclone, etc.

The trick to making a good backup system is to think about what you might need to easily get out of it in any likely problem situation. As well as thinking about full restores, consider needing to bring back an accidentally deleted file (you don't want to have to transfer and decrypt a huge backup for that) or files that were overwritten/corrupted/deleted days/weeks ago and you didn't notice until now.

If you leave the files as-is you can use many tools to simply sync the filesystem with the backup end. For a consistent backup, first do a sync, then stop all services and sync again, then restart services. With the services stopped you should have a consistent state, doing the first sync will get most bits updated so the second sync needs to make minimal changes so your outage time is short. You might choose to just do a live sync regularly and the cold sync less often (maybe once per week?). This is how I backup my mail server.

For encryption, there are two main choices:
    1. Encryption at rest on the backup side - create an encrypted block device and a filesystem on that to store the backups on. Never have the keys on the remote side, this means you can't have it auto-mount the encrypted block device after a reboot (you'll need to SSH in and mount it, providing the keys as you do) but it also means you don't have the huge hole of storing keys next to the lock. There are ways to get keys from another remote site to mitigate this a bit, but for my threat model I'm happy with getting a notification of the thing being unmounted and SSHing in to fix that. If you are running in a VM rather than your own physical machine there are concerns over in-memory security (even more so if running in a container) but unless you suspect your host of meticulously scanning for things to steal or one of your concerns is a nation-state level hack, that is likely not an issue (though for paranoia perhaps consider keeping your bitcoin wallet & keys elsewhere).
    2. Use an encrypted shadow filesystem like CryFS / EncFS / goCryptFS / etc. (it looks like EncFS development has stalled, so maybe don't consider that but anything else that implements its reverse option which you'll want for easy restores) and backup the shadow filesystem instead of the source. This way the encryption is done your-side (no keys needed on the server) and you still get easy per-file restores.
    3. You could also do both, but this is probably overkill.

Another important step is to test your backups regularly. For my mail and web servers I have copies of them running in local VMs that restore the most recent backup, if anything makes that fail I know I need to look into it… I also do a manual check (login to the copy occasionally to see it is working and that the most recent expected changes are present) which could possibly be further automated. A key advantage of this testing method is that it doubles as a full restore procedure (needed if the source machine dies, or is compromised, completely) so that is being tested each time as well as the backup process. For pure storage backups (work files, documents, media) I keep checksums, updated after each backup, and have a script regularly check them. I also have it run a check against the source sometimes for paranoia's sake.

Another thing to consider is snapshots - you don't want just one backup in case something goes wrong and you don't notice the corruption until it has spread to your only backup. With a huge encrypted tar/zip this takes a lot of space as you need full copies of the entire thing but if syncing with rsync or anything similar this is much more practical. Some tools like borg should pretty much do this for you though I still maintain my own backup scripts first hacked together many years ago.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:

@Otus9051 said:

@intermall said:

I'd recommend first practising in dn42 so you dont have to face as many problems as I did for the first couple of weeks.

Probably the biggest problem was setting up BIRD. BIRD docs are rather confusing for me and ChatGPT didn't help either (wrong syntax, weird code, etc.). I then somehow after scavenging through lots of Google Searches and nagging August for telling me, I finally got my first working config. I will be releasing a guide on it soon, I hope.

The second problem was terminology, half of the things sound way foreign if you don't know what they mean or haven't heard them before. For example, IP Transit vs Peering is probably one of the most asked questions by BGP Newbies.

Thanked by 2emgh Not_Oles
  • @BasToTheMax said:

@atroxz said:
    i want a free lambo.

Why not a Tesla?

Lambos retain value better. Tesla value will only keep going down.

@Not_Oles said:

@BasToTheMax said:

@BasToTheMax I think you already have enough posts. Two weeks isn't so long, but, maybe, if you post a polite request in the FreeVPS.org thread, maybe the guys might consider your request a few days early?

Do you know about FOSSBilling? Awhile back they were working on integrating with Proxmox, but I don't know the status of it.

I haven't decided yet if I will make it open source.

I heard the name once, but I have never used FOSSBilling before. Should I try it?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • emghemgh Member

All my posts are spammy but I don’t want a free VPS.

@BasToTheMax said: I heard the name once, but I have never used FOSSBilling before. Should I try it?

Honestly I don't know. The developers seem dedicated and hard working. But I haven't looked at the code and I haven't tried it. Wish I could offer more experience. One of these days I will try it. :)

@Otus9051 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Otus9051 said:

@intermall said:

Probably the biggest problem was setting up BIRD. BIRD docs are rather confusing for me and ChatGPT didn't help either (wrong syntax, weird code, etc.). I then somehow after scavenging through lots of Google Searches and nagging August for telling me, I finally got my first working config. I will be releasing a guide on it soon, I hope.

The second problem was terminology, half of the things sound way foreign if you don't know what they mean or haven't heard them before. For example, IP Transit vs Peering is probably one of the most asked questions by BGP Newbies.

Did you get everything working?

• @BasToTheMax said:

@Not_Oles said:

@BasToTheMax said:

I haven't decided yet if I will make it open source.

I heard the name once, but I have never used FOSSBilling before. Should I try it?

I have used FOSSBilling, it's quite good at what it does.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:

@Otus9051 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Otus9051 said:

@intermall said:

Yep
    https://bgp.tools/as/199693

Thanked by 2Not_Oles emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@Otus9051 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Otus9051 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Otus9051 said:

@intermall said:

Yep
    https://bgp.tools/as/199693

In Swedish, Sen means late.

Which I guess summarizes your experience setting that up.

Thanked by 1Otus9051

FOSSBilling uses the same admin template as I do. The only difference is that they use the vertical interface.
    https://preview.tabler.io/layout-vertical.html

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

GPT-3 just roasted us, please prove it wrong on https://trustpilot.com/review/freevps.org

Welcome to FreeVPS, where we give away mediocre virtual private servers to people who have nothing better to do than post 50 non-spammy messages on our forum. Who needs quality and reliability when you can have a free VPS, right? Our website is so basic that it would make a Geocities page look modern. We have a grand total of four pages, and one of them is dedicated to our policies. Because who doesn't want to read about terms and conditions before getting a low-quality VPS? But don't worry, we have four hypervisor nodes that are barely holding on. Our CPUs are so old that they probably belong in a museum, and our RAM is so low that even a potato would be disappointed. And let's not forget about our disk space, which is so limited that you'll have to delete your virtual life just to store a few files. But hey, at least we have a 100 Mbps port! That's right, we're still living

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • well,thanks for this good idea!

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • umzumz Member

Thanks buddy ;)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Earlier in this thread we were talking about backups. I just came across this Hetzner Community Tutorial on Borgmatic. I knew about the existence of Borg, but not Borgmatic. So maybe it's worth a mention here. :)

@BasToTheMax said:
    FOSSBilling uses the same admin template as I do. The only difference is that they use the vertical interface.
    https://preview.tabler.io/layout-vertical.html

Thanks for mentioning tabler! I took a look! Very interesting! :)

@FatGrizzly said:
    GPT-3 just roasted us, please prove it wrong on https://trustpilot.com/review/freevps.org

Welcome to FreeVPS, where we give away mediocre virtual private servers to people who have nothing better to do than post 50 non-spammy messages on our forum. Who needs quality and reliability when you can have a free VPS, right? Our website is so basic that it would make a Geocities page look modern. We have a grand total of four pages, and one of them is dedicated to our policies. Because who doesn't want to read about terms and conditions before getting a low-quality VPS? But don't worry, we have four hypervisor nodes that are barely holding on. Our CPUs are so old that they probably belong in a museum, and our RAM is so low that even a potato would be disappointed. And let's not forget about our disk space, which is so limited that you'll have to delete your virtual life just to store a few files. But hey, at least we have a 100 Mbps port! That's right, we're still living

@FatGrizzly Congrats on your excellent marketing initiative! Clearly you are worthy of a promotion to Vice-President! Maybe even President! :)

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • i want a free lambo!

• @Not_Oles said:

@bamboo4409 said:
    I have to migrate a masto instance again. Use s3 for images and don't run into issues importing the database...

But nginx config files just never seem to cooperate. Going to carve out some time to migrate Mon or Tues. If I got help, would be so grateful 🍻 🍻

From what and to what will you be migrating? Are you upgrading software in addition to migrating or just moving an instance from one server to another?

What's the overview of your migration procedure? Could you set up the new instance, make sure it's working, and then migrate the data? Or something else?

I am migrating a Mastodon instance to a new host.

The documentation is actually decent. Yet despite this, I still struggle. Trying to tinker with Linux was honestly one of my covid19 projects.

Here is the procedure:

https://docs.joinmastodon.org/admin/migrating/

But the end always messes me up with nginx. Going to give this a shot now, please pray for me. Or if you're able to help, happy to send you cash or buy you a beer.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@bamboo4409 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@bamboo4409 said:
    I have to migrate a masto instance again. Use s3 for images and don't run into issues importing the database...

But nginx config files just never seem to cooperate. Going to carve out some time to migrate Mon or Tues. If I got help, would be so grateful 🍻 🍻

From what and to what will you be migrating? Are you upgrading software in addition to migrating or just moving an instance from one server to another?

What's the overview of your migration procedure? Could you set up the new instance, make sure it's working, and then migrate the data? Or something else?

I am migrating a Mastodon instance to a new host.

The documentation is actually decent. Yet despite this, I still struggle. Trying to tinker with Linux was honestly one of my covid19 projects.

Here is the procedure:

https://docs.joinmastodon.org/admin/migrating/

But the end always messes me up with nginx. Going to give this a shot now, please pray for me. Or if you're able to help, happy to send you cash or buy you a beer.

Hi Jeff!

Well, your Mastodon instance seems to be up right now! Maybe that means you found success!?

If you still need help, please consider starting a new discussion thread about your issue. Maybe the new thread could be called something like "Nginx Issues While Migrating A Mastodon Instance." You could post the migration procedure you were following, where you were coming from and where you are going, the specific trouble you are having, configuration files, error and log messages, and fixes already tried that didn't work.

There are many guys here who know a lot more than I do. Usually, somebody will help you if you share enough information to make it possible to help.

Best wishes and kindest regards!

Tom

Thanked by 1bamboo4409
  • Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited March 2023

Seeing a free service on Trustpilot with less than 5 stars is laughable. Have we reached peak entitlement yet?

"Sorry for...you willingly signing up and using our server's resources free of charge"

@Don_Keedic said:
    Seeing a free service on Trustpilot with less than 5 stars is laughable. Have we reached peak entitlement yet?

"Sorry for...you willingly signing up and using our server's resources free of charge"

When I looked at the Trustpilot page there was one five star review. The Trustpilot page also showed an explanation from Trustpilot about why the number of stars in the reviews might not equal the number of stars in Trustpilot's overall rating. If I remember right. Friendly greetings! :)

• i am currently working on some cloud certifications. besides student credits, stuff like oracle free trial hasn't worked out for me. so using my own purchases here and the free offerings to try pet projects and self manage my own vps.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • I saw the donation option to get the free VPS. May I know if it is still valid? I just happen to get introduced to this platform about 3 months ago but did not have an account till now. Is there any drawbacks to the donation option vs the 3 months with 50 non spammy posts? Does my account need to be 3 months also even with the donation? Thank you!

Thanked by 1Not_Oles