Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consortium of Low End Providers (CLEP) Hosting Panel - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Consortium of Low End Providers (CLEP) Hosting Panel

Comments

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• mwtmwt Member

@eris said:
    If you want to support an opensource panel start with contributing to it instead of Forking it.

You could make a fork with the intent to merge code that Hestia is willing to merge. Some changes that you want for industry use may not be welcome in the original project. However, for maintainability, you'll want to upstream as much as possible.

I feel like Hestia must be the closest out there. Vesta absolutely was used by commercial providers at one time. I had hosting with it.

I'm sure that the Hestia maintainers could use financial support too.

• niceboyniceboy Veteran

@Boogeyman said:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I remember you were developing a commercial control panel. Is there any update?

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I think "why don't we make a community version of" %popularHostingPanel% has been proposed for almost as long as this forum has been around.

It's already been mentioned above - but good devs will pretty much always require to be paid for this sort of thing to go anywhere. The money is unlikely to come from already successful hosts and is unlikely to exist for those who are less successful.

Unless someone either wants to put in a good chunk of the foundational work themselves - it won't happen.

• BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
    edited July 2022

@mwt said: I'm sure that the Hestia maintainers could use financial support too.

They do accept donations. Check their Github page.

@niceboy said: I remember you were developing a commercial control panel. Is there any update?

I am doing most things from scratch that is preventing me to do a quick release. For example I am building repositories if there are no official repository from the original vendors. Like PowerDNS don't have repository for aarch64 architecture. I am building that to support aarch64. And this is also true for other tools.

And few things delayed me further. I was previously working on CyberPanel as a FOSS contributor which is actually from LiteSpeed. Due to conflicts with the shit community it have I had to decide to build a control panel. And I knew if I fork it I will hardly get any contributions let alone any financial support to continue the project. So this led to my commercial project. I wanted to use OLS, so I reached to LS team to discuss about the licensing. They wanted me to not start my own project and offered a job to work on CyberPanel. I knew it wouldn't work because the main maintainer attitude is completely shit and oh I don't want to talk about that community. So this ended after sometime and LS never paid anything to me. I once got back to Lauren and the licensing term looked completely shit to me. They wanted to charge me for their own customer base. In simple words they always pushed me to work for a complete garbage panel. So this made me remove LiteSpeed integration completely on which I wasted enough time.

Now I am contributing on HestiaCP to bring support for RHEL based distro. Also doing side by side work on my own control panel. I am not sure if anyone does this like me. Who would contribute to a competing product and make their own product at the same time in their right mind. I really like FOSS but it never worked for me except few cases.

Thanked by 2niceboy eris
  • @Boogeyman said:

@mwt said: I'm sure that the Hestia maintainers could use financial support too.

@niceboy said: I remember you were developing a commercial control panel. Is there any update?

I am doing most things from scratch that is preventing me to do a quick release. For example I am building repositories if there are no official repository from the original vendors. Like PowerDNS don't have repository for aarch64 architecture. I am building that to support aarch64. And this is also true for other tools.

And few things delayed me further. I was previously working on CyberPanel as a FOSS contributor which is actually from LiteSpeed. Due to conflicts with the shit community it have I had to decide to build a control panel. And I knew if I fork it I will hardly get any contributions let alone any financial support to continue the project. So this led to my commercial project. I wanted to use OLS, so I reached to LS team to discuss about the licensing. They wanted me to not start my own project and offered a job to work on CyberPanel. I knew it wouldn't work because the main maintainer attitude is completely shit and oh I don't want to talk about that community. So this ended after sometime and LS never paid anything to me. I once got back to Lauren and the licensing term looked completely shit to me. They wanted to charge me for their own customer base. In simple words they always pushed me to work for a complete garbage panel. So this made me remove LiteSpeed integration completely on which I wasted enough time.

Now I am contributing on HestiaCP to bring support for RHEL based distro. Also doing side by side work on my own control panel. I am not sure if anyone does this like me. Who would contribute to a competing product and make their own product at the same time in their right mind. I really like FOSS but it never worked for me except few cases.

Hello @Boogeyman

Since you have not used your name. I will only make a guess.

I remember working with a guy back in August, 2021 and you have officially joined us as well.

I also made a post to welcome that guy in our group https://www.facebook.com/groups/cyberpanel/posts/2849676305343999/

I've searched my personal slack messages from last year and it turned out you got angry on our community because of some post that you made and after that you immediately made the decision to stop working for us.

I would agree with you that sometime community can get harsh on you, however, you immediately cease to work with us, even though as per my messages I've tried to convince you to continue to work with us.

I knew it wouldn't work because the main maintainer attitude is completely shit and oh I don't want to talk about that community

Not sure why would you say that because I've always welcomed and answered all of your queries.

So this ended after sometime and LS never paid anything to me

As I said above you immediately stopped working for us (it seems you also deactivated your slack account), not sure if it was even 30 days. But PM me the number days you worked with us and we can settle the amount with LiteSpeed.

I wanted to use OLS, so I reached to LS team to discuss about the licensing.

What sort of licensing are you talking about, I am not sure about that? And apart from that there are various control panel with OLS integrations and you are welcome to integrate it inside your new control panel as well.

For me, I would remember you in good words because your contributions to the project were good.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@cyberpersons said:

@Boogeyman said:

Hello @Boogeyman

I remember working with a guy back in August, 2021 and you have officially joined us as well.

I also made a post to welcome that guy in our group https://www.facebook.com/groups/cyberpanel/posts/2849676305343999/

I've searched my personal slack messages from last year and it turned out you got angry on our community because of some post that you made and after that you immediately made the decision to stop working for us.

I would agree with you that sometime community can get harsh on you, however, you immediately cease to work with us, even though as per my messages I've tried to convince you to continue to work with us.

I knew it wouldn't work because the main maintainer attitude is completely shit and oh I don't want to talk about that community

Not sure why would you say that because I've always welcomed and answered all of your queries.

As I said above you immediately stopped working for us (it seems you also deactivated your slack account), not sure if it was even 30 days. But PM me the number days you worked with us and we can settle the amount with LiteSpeed.

What sort of licensing are you talking about, I am not sure about that? And apart from that there are various control panel with OLS integrations and you are welcome to integrate it inside your new control panel as well.

For me, I would remember you in good words because your contributions to the project were good.

Good initiative to pay him even if it ended abruptly.

• @emgh said:

@cyberpersons said:

@Boogeyman said:

Hello @Boogeyman

Good initiative to pay him even if it ended abruptly.

Yes, but he is right. Some time in community people get really harsh on contributors even I get annoyed from time to time.

We lost him as contributor and there was another great contributor (Mark) he also left for the same reason.

But now I've activated post approval and if someone only come to spread hate, I've no choice but to ban them.

And I 100% remember Lauren asked me that how much he would like to get paid, but he just cease to work with us.

But again I am not sure if he is the same guy, because his name here is different.

• LeeLee Veteran

$7 says this project has already failed.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@Lee said: $7 says this project has already failed.

There is no project yet, so how can it fail? :dizzy:

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Been thinking about the same after finally finishing my own panel. Of course, timeline being somewhere between 24 hours and 15 years. Look out for an announcement.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @cyberpersons said: I also made a post to welcome that guy in our group >https://www.facebook.com/groups/cyberpanel/posts/2849676305343999/

I told you to remove any post relating me completely as I don't want to be remembered as a CyberPanel contributor which you didn't. You replied that would harm your integrity but you don't care about any former contributor/s. But you could comment and in cases remove my codes in git. I am not surprised btw.

@cyberpersons said: I would agree with you that sometime community can get harsh on you, however, you immediately cease to work with us, even though as per my messages I've tried to convince you to continue to work with us.

If this was only me I probably would've believed that the problem is me. I am not first one to leave your community. Not everyone in your community is a bad person. But majority of your community feel entitled they deserve others time and they are abusive and very aggressive on certain times.

@cyberpersons said: I've searched my personal slack messages from last year and it turned out you got angry on our community because of some post that you made and after that you immediately made the decision to stop working for us.

Yes that's true. I did told you I am going to stop working for the community. And you told me to work on the codebase and Github issues. Even though I didn't agree I still had the access on Github and was doing contributions as I can until I finally decided to leave this completely after few Github issues and someone calling me out on their issue.

@cyberpersons said: Not sure why would you say that because I've always welcomed and answered all of your queries.

You're a not a bad person but in times you were unreasonable. I am not sure if Mark reached you anytime about controlling your community. Despite several times communicating with you about setting boundaries between maintainers and communities you didn't act. Also in desperate times like massive issues you got completely vanished from the scene while other maintainers were trying to calm your community. And I didn't even think about building anything of my own until I completely measured my situation. You were careless about many things back then.

@cyberpersons said: What sort of licensing are you talking about, I am not sure about that? And apart from that there are various control panel with OLS integrations and you are welcome to integrate it inside your new control panel as well.

OLS is GPLv3. If this was BSD or MIT this discussion probably would never happened. Thanks to clever legal team of LS. They can license LSAPI BSD-3, LSQUIC MIT but OLS GPLv3, CyberPanel GPLv3. Any commercial project won't ever touch GPLd code without talking about licensing with original authors. I had to remove LSCPD which I modified to support custom port, I had to remove the complete integration because the config file was also part of the codebase. Not all control panels have legal contract with LS team and they are in risk of litigation(not that LS might or might not sue).

@cyberpersons said: For me, I would remember you in good words because your contributions to the project were good.

I know for sure this isn't true. Though my contributions are not that great to even talk about this. I wanted to make the project even better. But I couldn't due to many reasons. If you check Github you will find my last PR long long after all these incidents which means I still cared about the project. But LS stance on this whole thing made this far worse, not even the community of CP. And I will always say LS opensources their product so they can sell their commercial product. Not because they love opensource.

• I told you to remove any post relating me completely as I don't want to be remembered as a CyberPanel contributor which you didn't. You replied that would harm your integrity but you don't care about any former contributor/s. But you could comment and in cases remove my codes in git. I am not surprised btw.

I would still stand by this. Because what image will that potray for us? A user joined us and left us in few days. It will not leave a good impression for us as a company. And the reason for leaving was "community"

Which I've tried to explain that they can get harsh and I agree with you, and I even tried to retain you.

But now that this post is way old I can remove the post for you. My only intention was to give you a proper welcome.

If this was only me I probably would've believed that the problem is me. I am not first one to leave your community. Not everyone in your community is a bad person. But majority of your community feel entitled they deserve others time and they are abusive and very aggressive on certain times.

We are now much strict in terms of community activity now. If someone spread hate, I usually ban them.

Yes that's true. I did told you I am going to stop working for the community. And you told me to work on the codebase and Github issues. Even though I didn't agree I still had the access on Github and was doing contributions as I can until I finally decided to leave this completely after few Github issues and someone calling me out on their issue.

Again you can't blame me or call another person a shit for someone else act. I was always kind with you and appreciated your work.

OLS is GPLv3. If this was BSD or MIT this discussion probably would never happened. Thanks to clever legal team of LS. They can license LSAPI BSD-3, LSQUIC MIT but OLS GPLv3, CyberPanel GPLv3. Any commercial project won't ever touch GPLd code without talking about licensing with original authors. I had to remove LSCPD which I modified to support custom port, I had to remove the complete integration because the config file was also part of the codebase. Not all control panels have legal contract with LS team and they are in risk of litigation(not that LS might or might not sue).

LSCPD is custom made for CyberPanel. And as far as I know OLS can be used in projects if you keep the branding. I will talk internally about this.

I know for sure this isn't true. Though my contributions are not that great to even talk about this. I wanted to make the project even better. But I couldn't due to many reasons. If you check Github you will find my last PR long long after all these incidents which means I still cared about the project. But LS stance on this whole thing made this far worse, not even the community of CP. And I will always say LS opensources their product so they can sell their commercial product. Not because they love opensource.

LiteSpeed have many open-source projects including LiteSpeed cache plugin for WordPress which works really great with OpenLiteSpeed (which again is free) and used by thousands of sites as well.

Apart from that since CyberPanel is open-source I personally always tried my level best, but it is not possible for me to interact and respond to every single person individually. Which is why we launched our new forum as well and tried to made things better.

I would not blame you for anything, you are right, but calling out something shit is not good. We all are trying our level best here.

Thanks

edited July 2022

@cyberpersons said: LiteSpeed have many open-source projects including LiteSpeed cache plugin for WordPress which works really great with OpenLiteSpeed (which again is free) and used by thousands of sites as well.

This is freemium not free per se. If someone inspects git commits of OLS they can see how well each commits manages to have everything in one commit and no useful commit message. And LS don't even push all the changes they commit internally. And we should talk about the marketing scam from LS some other day. If this was not for marketing they wouldn't have any marginal userbase at this point. They opensourced their product not because they love opensource but they needed to sell their commercial product.

@cyberpersons said: Apart from that since CyberPanel is open-source I personally always tried my level best, but it is not possible for me to interact and respond to every single person individually. Which is why we launched our new forum as well and tried to made things better.

You are even free to not respond to anyone at all. If you really care about FOSS then why not add support for other webservers instead of adding every unknown OS out there. I am sure you can't due to your contractual obligations with LS. Also LS knows this how shit your community can be and they can reply furiously to set boundaries but you can't.

https://github.com/litespeedtech/openlitespeed/issues/267#issuecomment-909381509

@cyberpersons said: I would not blame you for anything, you are right, but calling out something shit is not good. We all are trying our level best here.

Tell that to your community first.

• This is freemium not free per se. If someone inspects git commits of OLS they can see how well each commits manages to have everything in one commit and no useful commit message. And LS don't even push all the changes they commit internally. And we should talk about the marketing scam from LS some other day. If this was not for marketing they wouldn't have any marginal userbase at this point. They opensourced their product not because they love opensource but they needed to sell their commercial product.

Programming in C or C++ is not cup of tea for everyone. OpenLiteSpeed have a module documentation guide available here -> https://openlitespeed.org/kb/openlitespeed-module-developer-guide/

Apart from that since CyberPanel is open-source I personally always tried my level best, but it is not possible for me to interact and respond to every single person individually. Which is why we launched our new forum as well and tried to made things better.

Why would we add support for other servers when our unique point is OpenLiteSpeed and that is why people shift to CyberPanel. If we add other web servers then we are no different.

every unknown OS out there

Ubuntu, AlmaLinux and RockyLinux are unknown OS?

Tell that to your community first.

If someone else calls you shit, you have no right to call another person. You will be no different if you become like them.

I am not here to fight with you. I know you are a good person, you just got frustrated.

edited July 2022

@cyberpersons said: Programming in C or C++ is not cup of tea for everyone. OpenLiteSpeed have a module documentation guide available here -> https://openlitespeed.org/kb/openlitespeed-module-developer-guide/

I am not talking about how to code in C/C++. I know how things work internally in OLS. Instead of adding a sane build system they decided to do a bash script which is also not good quality. If someone inspects carefully they will see OLS tried hide many things in plain sight. If even someone figure out everything the last obstacle is the license itself. It got certified that it's not good quality.

https://github.com/OpenMandrivaAssociation/openlitespeed/blob/master/openlitespeed-1.7.16-openmandriva.patch#L10

@cyberpersons said: unknown OS?

Openeuler

@cyberpersons said: Why would we add support for other servers when our unique point is OpenLiteSpeed and that is why people shift to CyberPanel. If we add other web servers then we are no different.

What's so different in OLS? It's just a bloated http server packed with all the libraries out there to do the compression and the HTTP3 library which is faster than TCP by nature because we all know how UDP works. Someone using that as a marketing point is great marketer but not a great developer. Also I am sure the built in WSGI server have vulnerability in it.

@cyberpersons said: If someone else calls you shit, you have no right to call another person. You will be no different if you become like them.

I am not here to fight with you. I know you are a good person, you just got frustrated.

Me neither. Let me finish this here, I will not reply further unless you post something new that I will have to justify myself. I am sorry. I should rephrase myself. Unbearable attitude sounds better to me. I do not normally sugarcoat my response. And this is my first public instance I opened up about this. I do not wish to have any similar future conversations. And my stance about LS team will always remain same if they don't change the way they opensource.

• @Boogeyman said:

@cyberpersons said: Programming in C or C++ is not cup of tea for everyone. OpenLiteSpeed have a module documentation guide available here -> https://openlitespeed.org/kb/openlitespeed-module-developer-guide/

I am not talking about how to code in C/C++. I know how things work internally in OLS. Instead of adding a sane build system they decided to do a bash script which is also not good quality. If someone inspects carefully they will see OLS tried hide many things in plain sight. If even someone figure out everything the last obstacle is the license itself. It got certified that it's not good quality.

https://github.com/OpenMandrivaAssociation/openlitespeed/blob/master/openlitespeed-1.7.16-openmandriva.patch#L10

@cyberpersons said: unknown OS?

Openeuler

@cyberpersons said: Why would we add support for other servers when our unique point is OpenLiteSpeed and that is why people shift to CyberPanel. If we add other web servers then we are no different.

What's so different in OLS? It's just a bloated http server packed with all the libraries out there to do the compression and the HTTP3 library which is faster than TCP by nature because we all know how UDP works. Someone using that as a marketing point is great marketer but not a great developer. Also I am sure the built in WSGI server have vulnerability in it.

@cyberpersons said: If someone else calls you shit, you have no right to call another person. You will be no different if you become like them.

Me neither. Let me finish this here, I will not reply further unless you post something new that I will have to justify myself. I am sorry. I should rephrase myself. Unbearable attitude sounds better to me. I do not normally sugarcoat my response. And this is my first public instance I opened up about this. I do not wish to have any similar future conversations. And my stance about LS team will always remain same if they don't change the way they opensource.

OK. I will also not like to further discuss.

But openeuler was not added by me, and if you check this pull request I even said that it would require a lot of work to make openeuler work.

You can check the pull request here -> https://github.com/usmannasir/cyberpanel/pull/901

It won't be going live anytime soon.

• mwtmwt Member

@Boogeyman said:
    Any commercial project won't ever touch GPLd code without talking about licensing with original authors.

Both MySQL and MariaDB are GPL. MySQL can be licensed otherwise, but I do not think any major panel does.

I don't think that a panel is considered a derivative of the web server it runs on for the same reason that LiteSpeed Enterprise is not a derivative of the Linux kernel.

edited July 2022

@mwt said: Both MySQL and MariaDB are GPL. MySQL can be licensed otherwise, but I do not think any major panel does.

I don't think that a panel is considered a derivative of the web server it runs on for the same reason that LiteSpeed Enterprise is not a derivative of the Linux kernel.

Please read the whole of that part. You can indeed add other GPLd products in conjunction with your product. That will not break the GPL. But if you have to use direct snippets from the codebase you will have to GPL it if you combine the whole thing. You have another option of separating that part of codebase and publish it. That way also it will not break any license terms of GPL.

There is no way DA need to have a different license for OLS if this wasn't GPL. Commercial projects do not touch GPL. It's like plague for them. @jar use CrossBox in his infra. Check their FOSS license summary. None of those tools are GPL.

https://crossbox.io/oslicenses

And please see this just for reference.
    https://openlitespeed.org/#features

Like for say if LSQUIC or LSAPI was GPL many companies won't even consider to use the library. That's why they were MIT/BSD.

• I'm not gonna lie. I can understand why Boogeyman might feel like leadership was not supportive or unresponsive. At the leadership end, they see a different picture.

But the way this conversation went out I just don't think it looks good (or helps) either of you guys. A working relationship ended on a bit of a sour note (it seems like anyways). No reason to air each other's dirty laundry. That's life. Don't be an ass. Just didn't work out. It seems like a conflict in prioritization and what they define as "management" (management of community, etc.) is what caused this issue. Doesn't mean the project is crap for other people. It just isn't a right fit for you.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited July 2022

What loundry? The man worked, the man did not received respect nor dollars. That is enough ground to be salty.

• mwtmwt Member

I agree that LS close the GPL for copyleft reasons.

I just think that there's a lot of unnecessary gpl fear. A lot of commercial projects probably depend on gpl software in some hidden way anyway (eg. external call to coreutils).

Even commercial fully gpl software can be viable if you do what those WordPress themes do.

• @LTniger said:
    What loundry? The man worked, the man did not received respect nor dollars. That is enough ground to be salty.

That's fair. I guess I missed that part, or specifically I thought it was volunteer contribution and not an actual paid position. However, if it was an actual paid position then that changes the dynamic and it 100% makes sense.

• @LTniger @HalfEatenPie

As I said above he left abruptly without any further conversions he even left our communities and slack channel.

While I was talking to retain him I suppose he also left our slack channel as well.

And during the days he was with us (few days) he did not do much work, as matter of fact he did good work when he contributed unofficially.

And even at that time Lauren asked me to pay for his days with us, but he got so angry with the community that he just left us from all channels.

No reason to air each other's dirty laundry.

You are right, I've not said anything bad, because he did good contributions so I've nothing bad to say at all, and this is something I am not sugarcoating, you guys can go check out the repo and you can see his work. He also helped people in community but they were harsh on him. Some people from community also get harsh on me too, I just have to bear with it.

And this is the first time I am communicating with him after like almost an year he vanished from our FB group as well.

• I'd contribute if this was a real project but honestly (based on the responses) it lacks the following:

1) Anyone offering to fund it (even basic stuff like domains and demo control panels).
    2) Anyone offering to develop it as a serious commitment to be the maintainer. (i.e. 8+ hours a week)

Like, I'd probably put in 3-4 hours a week but that isn't enough to run an open source project people actually use. I'd want to do 0 support.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@ChaosCircle said: 1) Anyone offering to fund it (even basic stuff like domains and demo control panels).

That is what I meant by I'd support it. I'm sure others would as well.

• @Arkas said:

@ChaosCircle said: 1) Anyone offering to fund it (even basic stuff like domains and demo control panels).

That is what I meant by I'd support it. I'm sure others would as well.

Can you give a full feature list that you would consider a MVP?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@ChaosCircle said: Can you give a full feature list that you would consider a MVP?

I could, but I'd prefer to wait and see If this becomes an actual project first. People interested, especially providers here, should commit to your suggestions, either option 1 or 2 to get the ball rolling.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Truely can understand @Boogeyman and his effort for the project but on the other hand can see @cyberpersons had his own POV where he was correct. I have learned from experience that you can put blood, sweet and tears but if its not as per the presupposition of team coordinator then its not going to work. Its better to side ways as Boogyman did.

By the way, we are going offtopic here.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2022

This kind of initiative and want has been part of the "LET Cycle" for a long time.

There's always someone new who wants to build a new VM control panel or web hosting control panel. There are always funders who are interested in funding it (granted it's not realistic enough to be worth the time for the developer vs other opportunities they could spend their time on until it hits that critical mass of adoptees... in which case that's going to take a bit). Therefore, it really should be a labor of love in order to get it past those initial hurdles.

Also, to actually get the funding many hosts are going to want to know the person who is accepting these funds will get it completed (the old "I want my money to actually count/make it"). You have hosting providers saying "yeah I'll fund it" but without the actually stating how much they're willing to contribute. We had previous initiatives in multiple VPS Control Panels (one specifically came to LET to ask for crowdsourced hosting company funding and help that had "people talking" but nothing and ended up going through a startup incubator accelerator and no longer became open source).

At the end of the day, I don't think the funding model is there yet to make this work.

Ideally, I wish initiatives like this actually came to something. But I'm definitely not holding my breath.