Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consortium of Low End Providers (CLEP) Hosting Panel - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Consortium of Low End Providers (CLEP) Hosting Panel

124»

Comments

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Just a quick question, what would be top 3 things / features you may want to see in this panel if it materializes that would make you to switch to from DA /cPanel / Hestia or any other you are using ?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

1) Security
    2) Timely updates
    3) simple and well executed UI

Thanked by 3ericls BingoBongo Liso
  • NickANickA Member

Why not start by simply re-factoring ISPConfig to make it more like cPanel/DA, integrated with Cloudlinux?

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

@NickA said:
    Why not start by simply re-factoring ISPConfig to make it more like cPanel/DA, integrated with Cloudlinux?

Using "refactoring" and "simply" in the same sentence is a big assumption lol.. But seriously, there are reasons people say "code is liability".

That being said, I don't think people will be against it if it turns out to be the best approach..

• @NickA said:

A) The OP of this thread wants to be able to sell premium support and commercialize stuff. That being the case, forking isn't really viable.

B) CloudLinux costs money.

• Jona4sJona4s Member

I would like to know, what are the actual features of a control panel.

I can't figure them out, I've only used ssh on my servers.

But it looks they are something like these:

• File manager, a graphical interface for cd/cp/mv/mkdir/touch plus an HTTP file server to download and POST files.

• CPU stats, aggregator of proc/stats

• MySQL/Postgre/SQLite graphical interface, a web UI to perform SQL queries to the database server

• Auto install of PHP/Nginx/MySQL, an exec.Cmd() of apt install or forking some included binaries

• A web terminal, like Xterm.js with a websocket backend

• A DNS graphical interface, this is weird because most users of control panels don't have a DNS daemon running, they probably just uses their registrar panel.

So what are the core features of cPanel besides those things?

• NickANickA Member

ISPConfig uses the BSD licence...

ericls: I completely understand, you'd have to learn the codebase, BUT...my reasoning is, it's PHP based, so huge dev availability, it's established as secure, it works, and the reason people don't use it is because it's not very user friendly compared to cPanel/DA, so if you want something quick and cheap to start with, might as well start there. It already has Softaculous support, Cloudlinux would be easy to integrate and benefit from all the secure PHP versions, cagefs etc with extremely minimal effort.

I could be wrong but it feels like the right course of action.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Softaculous support would be a super bonus!

• @NickA said:
    ISPConfig uses the BSD licence...

ericls: I completely understand, you'd have to learn the codebase, BUT...my reasoning is, it's PHP based, so huge dev availability, it's established as secure, it works, and the reason people don't use it is because it's not very user friendly compared to cPanel/DA, so if you want something quick and cheap to start with, might as well start there. It already has Softaculous support, Cloudlinux would be easy to integrate and benefit from all the secure PHP versions, cagefs etc with extremely minimal effort.

I could be wrong but it feels like the right course of action.

PHP versions with HardenedPHP aren't as secure as using a modern version of PHP. Alot of Cloud Linux features are just plastering over security holes with OSS projects that are half-assed.

• @Arkas said:
    Softaculous support would be a super bonus!

This is not a big deal to implement and I honestly don't like ISPConfig's codebase.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@ChaosCircle said: This is not a big deal to implement and I honestly don't like ISPConfig's codebase.

Oh, I don't mean we have to use ISPConfig as codebase, just that support for Softaculous would go a long way to getting many other users on board.

• @Arkas said: just that support for Softaculous would go a long way to getting many other users on board.

How do you expect a commercial product to end up in a free, open source project?
    Should be replaced with Cloudron/Installtron instead then. Similar features but free.

• NickANickA Member

IMO for this to work, you need a free, open source core panel/software, then anyone and everyone can charge for support, addons and whatever else, similar model to Linux itself. So having support/modules from commercial vendors like Softaculous, Cloudlinux, Acronis etc SHOULD be an end goal here.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@NickA said:
    IMO for this to work, you need a free, open source core panel/software, then anyone and everyone can charge for support, addons and whatever else, similar model to Linux itself. So having support/modules from commercial vendors like Softaculous, Cloudlinux, Acronis etc SHOULD be an end goal here.

CloudLinux can be easily integrated with any custom panel by the way! :-)

• @NickA said:

So another cpanel clone? Great. I don't get it. Why do people like it so much? It looks like some website from the 90s with fancy icons.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

I'd be up for helping out on the development side where I can. I've seen many a thread related to this over the years on LET, but always willing to try and pitch in! Will join the discord.

@Arkas said:
    1) Security
    2) Timely updates
    3) simple and well executed UI

Thanks, IMO, was looking for something more specific as security, updates and nice gui is obvious. Some people like cPanel because its comprehensive, few likes DA because its straightforward.

So my question is still open for others :
    What would be top 3 things / features you may want to see in this panel if it materializes that would make you to switch to from DA /cPanel / Hestia or any other you are using ?

@serv_ee said:

@NickA said:

So another cpanel clone? Great. I don't get it. Why do people like it so much? It looks like some website from the 90s with fancy icons.

Why not, cPanel has edge over others like windows, most of us started using webhosting panel with cPanel, so its comfort zone. Besides, its just UI, if we go modular enough then can mend it as we like, however, core should be solid for long run.

• Create the panel first then ask for feedback after. what’s the point of asking if people want to jump in into the new panel, so far we only had ‘imaginary control panel’

@sibaper said:
    Create the panel first then ask for feedback after. what’s the point of asking if people want to jump in into the new panel, so far we only had ‘imaginary control panel’

Actually that is the whole point, ask people what they need and then work on it.

• adlyadly Veteran

Unless someone pays a devs wage, why would they bother?